• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT11| Schlong Days, Kipless Nights

Salvadora

From what I've read, United seem very conscientious about overspending on players. They didn't meet Herrera's release clause because they didn't think he was worth that amount. They didn't buy Baines because they didn't think he was worth £20m. If the Bale stories are true then I'd imagine we bid £100m because we felt he was worth that amount.
This could very well be the case, but there's being conscientious and then there is £100m.

That is a huge amount of money and suggests a level of financial fluidity (and Perez-factor) that I don't believe United possess.

Elchele

From what I've read, United seem very conscientious about overspending on players. They didn't meet Herrera's release clause because they didn't think he was worth that amount. They didn't buy Baines because they didn't think he was worth £20m. If the Bale stories are true then I'd imagine we bid £100m because we felt he was worth that amount.

Remind us how much they paid for Fellaini, tho

wedward

This could very well be the case, but there's being conscientious and then there is £100m.

That is a huge amount of money and suggests a level of financial fluidity (and Perez-factor) that I don't believe United possess.

Moyes wasn't lying when he said there is no budget I guess.

Clegg

That's very true.

Personally I don't think we'd ever spend 100m on anyone. But I do think that if a player was available for a more reasonable price, and we thought he was worth it, then we'd pay 40 or 50m for him.

Clegg

Remind us how much they paid for Fellaini, tho
That was a last minute desperation purchase though. We'd signed no players up until then then and Moyes couldn't be seen to have no strengthened at all.

We also bid £30m for Khedira and £15m for De Rossi. I think the money is there.

Empty

That rumoured United £100m bid doesn't make much sense.

Woodward lowballed everyone all summer.

breaking the word record to sign bale is basically just a really expensive advert for manchester united football club and its numerous commercial partners globally. it's a marketing expense.

herrera and baines only improve the football team. can't splurge on that.

wedward

breaking the word record to sign bale is basically just a really expensive advert for manchester united football club and its numerous commercial partners globally. it's a marketing expense.

herrera and baines only improve the football team. can't splurge on that.

Yup. Herrera isn't going to help sell trucks. Monkey boy though...

Madrid screwed themselves over with Bale. There's no way Suarez doesn't go for more than him. I said that before Suarez even played this season. Suarez has only reinforced that evaluation.

They can have Aguero though. (・∀・)

Madrid screwed themselves over with Bale. There's no way Suarez doesn't go for more than him. I said that before Suarez even played this season. Suarez has only reinforced that evaluation.

I can't see any run of events that ends with them entering next season with Benzema leading the line. Compared to their other attackers, he's a joke

Still think they'll get Falcao intuitively. Suarez comes with bad headlines, Aguero is on the brink of something special at City, while Rumbo is at a nothing team who are simultaneously plastic and shite.

Fintan

I can't see any run of events that ends with them entering next season with Benzema leading the line. Compared to their other attackers, he's a joke

Still think they'll get Falcao intuitively. Suarez comes with bad headlines, Aguero is on the brink of something special at City, while Rumbo is at a nothing team who are simultaneously plastic and shite.
Falcao, being a former Atletico player, might have some reservations about joining Real. Although who knows how much that actually matters to him.

Falcao, being a former Atletico player, might have some reservations about joining Real. Although who knows how much that actually matters to him.

I doubt Falcao cares about that as he only played there for 2 seasons. He didn't go through their youth system like de Gea.

jtb

Banned
isn't Falcao on some pretty ridiculous wages due to Monaco being a tax shelter? obviously I'd love for Arsenal to make a bid for him but I'd imagine his wages are prohibitively high for all but the richest clubs. basically Madrid or PSG.

Lightning

Banned
isn't Falcao on some pretty ridiculous wages due to Monaco being a tax shelter? obviously I'd love for Arsenal to make a bid for him but I'd imagine his wages are prohibitively high for all but the richest clubs. basically Madrid or PSG.
We should really test Liverpool with an irresistible offer. £60m + Theo and Liverpool may be more open to dealing with us

We should really test Liverpool with an irresistible offer. £60m + Theo and Liverpool may be more open to dealing with us

We'll want £80m from a foreign club, which is extortionate as it is. Unless you value Walcott at £40m to bring it to £100m, try again :p

Seriously though, I hope we brick wall any English club that makes an offer

GorillaJu

I think it'd be more from the fans' side to say no to Agüero or Falcao, but in the current state of things I doubt they would reject either of the two.

Lightning

Banned
We'll want £80m from a foreign club, which is extortionate as it is. Unless you value Walcott at £40m to bring it to £100m, try again :p

Seriously though, I hope we brick wall any English club that makes an offer
We would never offer that anyway. Suarez is good but not that good. He's not worth £100m just because Madrid were stupid enough to pay that for Bale raising all the prices for everyone in the transfer market. It's the reason Liverpool can't strengthen properly because player prices have sky rocketed.

I think it'd be more from the fans' side to say no to Agüero or Falcao, but in the current state of things I doubt they would reject either of the two.

They'd love it

Firstly, they're brilliant players
Secondly, they'd rub it in Atletico's faces, even though Costa is better than both
Third, Benzema is barely a Tier 3 striker, let alone Tier 1

@Lightning, I know. I just pulled £100m from my arse as that's the price we should put on him for an English club. Especially one we hope to be competing with next season

MPW

lol no

anyway, perez ain't buying suarez, he's not a fan

we are stuck with benz until morata can take over

Colombia winning the mundial.

irc21kAV7ZcsT.gif

lol no

anyway, perez ain't buying suarez, he's not a fan

we are stuck with benz until morata can take over

Whether you like it or not, Liverpool can say give us more than what you paid Tottenham because Suarez is a better player. He was better last season and is better this season.

You'll go for someone else anyways.

GorillaJu

I don't think Suarez is so good that he's Madrid's only option.

But how can they countenance another big money signing after the splurge over the summer? The amount of money they spent on Isco, Illaramendi and Bale is like some kind of cruel joke in the face of their league competition. Lower table Liga teams wouldn't have the money to sign an Isco, never mind a Bale, even if they sold every player in their first XI.

I am increasingly perturbed by Real and Barca's obsessions with spending money on huge names. I understand the reasoning isn't solely about footballing ability but that just makes it more unsavory in my eyes. City, who are also big offenders here, at least do some proper strategizing with their team building.

Chelsea's talent monopoly is also a load of shit. Spending 30 million - 30! - on a brilliant player to sit on the bench every week just to stop Spurs from getting him has reserved them a special place in football hell.

GorillaJu

LOTR 1-3 are the kinds of movies that I enjoyed watching but wouldn't recommend to anyone else as I didn't feel like I got anything out of them.

Caveat is that I rarely watch movies just to be entertained. No specific reason it's just when I want entertainment, movies are not the place I turn to. I usually watch them to enjoy the artistry, and I wouldn't say the LOTR movies succeed so well in that category.

Top Bottom