• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT11| Schlong Days, Kipless Nights

Elchele

Looking at Redbull Salzburg playerslist, they apparently have a Barcelona reject who's scoring a shitton of goals for them. But I don't know any of their players really. Still not sure if I should be afraid of them, but I guess we're the favorites in these games :p

the european Red Bull teams are surprisingly pretty good, Salzburg specially has a LOT of talented kids coming up. I guess they have great scouting network and invested a lot in youth development.

TeddyBoy

After our great win our Spurs, I've been thinking back to our 4-0 drubbing back in September 2011. Here are the starting 11's:

24 Friedel
03 Bale
04 Kaboul
26 King (Bassong - 83' )
28 Walker
32 Assou-Ekotto
08 Parker
14 Modric
21 Kranjcar (Van der Vaart - 46' )
10 Adebayor Booked
18 Defoe (Giovani - 83' )

25 Reina
03 Jose Enrique
05 Agger (Coates - 27' Booked )
23 Carragher
37 Skrtel Dismissed after an earlier booking
14 Henderson
19 Downing (Spearing - 70' )
21 Lucas
26 Adam Dismissed after an earlier booking
07 Suarez Booked (Bellamy - 70' )
09 Carroll

This was one of the worst Liverpool displays I'd seen, everything went wrong for us on the day and we were deserved losers. From that team however, Skrtel, Henderson, Lucas and Suarez survived to get revenge. For Spurs, only Walker's still in the starting 11, perhaps this is part of Spurs's problem, from that winning team two and a bit years ago, you've changed almost the entire starting 11, while Liverpool have refined their team.

As a Liverpool fan, I'd take our team that won on the weekend over our 2011 any day of the week, so Spurs fans, which one would you choose?

Walshy

I felt for Dawson at the weekend, he has virtually no pace and AVB insisted on playing a high line.

I don't think the score would of been as heavy had Vertonghen had been fit though, even if he hasn't been as good as last season so far this time around.

Linius

the european Red Bull teams are surprisingly pretty good, Salzburg specially has a LOT of talented kids coming up. I guess they have great scouting network and invested a lot in youth development.

Yeah, not saying they're bad. But there's just so little I know about them except for the fact that they own the Austrian Bundesliga this season. But that doesn't say all too much. And their EL group was easy as pie, so that doesn't say much either :p

LNBL

Chelsea's supposedly new home and away kit

BbrKQlbCQAAu8_6.png

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Last season, Steffen Freund was a confidant to Villas-Boas and helped the icy Portuguese boss mantain a good rapport with the players. After Tottenham's defeat to Arsenal early in the season, however, the pair had a disagreement over the tactics and substitutions deployed that day. Villas-Boas responded by effectively promoting Luis Martins and marginalising Freund, who increasingly began to feel isolated. Villas-Boas lost a key ally in Freund.

Respect for AVB...extinguished.

As a Liverpool fan, I'd take our team that won on the weekend over our 2011 any day of the week, so Spurs fans, which one would you choose?

Of course I would choose that team over today's. I think we have the potential to go higher than Harry's squad but there's no doubt that the quality of our football was vastly higher than it is at the moment. Having said that the league was totally different back then, I don't think we could play Ade and Defoe up top with two midgets in the middle plus Kranjcar on the right, and get away with it against a top side nowadays.

Mastadon

Banned
Respect for AVB...extinguished.

Of course I would choose that team over today's. I think we have the potential to go higher than Harry's squad but there's no doubt that the quality of our football was vastly higher than it is at the moment. Having said that the league was totally different back then, I don't think we could play Ade and Defoe up top with two midgets in the middle plus Kranjcar on the right, and get away with it against a top side nowadays.

AVB does come across as a bit of a knob.

Yen

Philip O'Connor @philipoconnor
Swedish journalist @juanitafranden asked #PSG coach a football question - check out his enlightened response (translated from Swedish) (ping @WomenonAir @julienpretotRTR):

Frandén: You started the season playing 4-4-2 but switched to 4-3-3 after a couple of matches...

Blanc: I mean, women talking football tactics, it's so beautiful ... I think it's fantastic!You know what 4-3-3 means, don't you?

Frandén: Yes, it's my job.

Blanc: I mean, there's a lot of ways of playing. Haha, I'm just joking...

Update on the match-fixing scandal: Gattuso apparently was involved in four matches (all in the 2010/2011 season: Milan-Lazio 0-0, Chievo-Milan 1-2, Milan-Bari 1-1 and Milan-Cagliari 4-1), while Brocchi was involved in two (Milan-Lazio 0-0 and Bologna-Lazio 3-2).

Of course that was the last time we won the Scudetto, so we might lose that one if things starts to go really bad. I like how Gattuso had to be safe to call people during the game vs Cagliari, that was a week later after we won the Scudetto, it was basically just a match to show off everybody. He even scored a header, from outside the box.

Also, a Juve and an Inter game are under investigation (Lazio-Juve 0-1 in 2011 and Palermo-Inter 1-0 from last season). The police said that 9 out of 11 games ended like people talked on the phone, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they were fixed. Still, they'll continue with the investigation, and apparently they found a lot of notes in some houses this morning, when they started searching.

--

De Laurentiis: "Milan-Roma? I think that the Rossoneri won, there was a penalty for them on that foul on Kakà."

That's nice.

Too bad things don't work like that.

Still, nice.

bud

october 15th: advanced talks with psv regarding strootman.
november 19th: talks with psv regarding strootman at early stages.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
De Laurentiis: "Milan-Roma? I think that the Rossoneri won, there was a penalty for them on that foul on Kakà."

That's nice.

Too bad things don't work like that.

Still, nice.

He's right, I thought that was a penalty too.

Regarding the other stuff, are they trying to manufacture something new for the WC/Euros again? Do they seriously believe that making up BS motivates the players?

Lol, the game in 2011 was under Delneri. The goal was too random, I just don't see it.

Anyway, don't worry Luci/MilanGAF, you know how this goes.

GorillaJu

I'm just sayin... Maybe we could tone down the Twitter muppet stories this winter. Dunno about you all but reading the same idiot bullshit peddlers like Tancredi Palmeri make shit up and then see it posted on here over and over was getting nauseating, like a neighbor that blasts one song on repeat until 3am.

I'm just sayin... Maybe we could tone down the Twitter muppet stories this winter. Dunno about you all but reading the same idiot bullshit peddlers like Tancredi Palmeri make shit up and then see it posted on here over and over was getting nauseating, like a neighbor that blasts one song on repeat until 3am.

Meh, it's more interesting than film/music/game talk. People just have to remember not to copy-paste every bullshit source imaginable.

He's right, I thought that was a penalty too.

Regarding the other stuff, are they trying to manufacture something new for the WC/Euros again? Do they seriously believe that making up BS motivates the players?

Lol, the game in 2011 was under Delneri. The goal was too random, I just don't see it.

Anyway, don't worry Luci/MilanGAF, you know how this goes.

I'm starting to think that's why they do this stuff every time there's some international cup. It'd be too early, though.

I really, really hope this ends up being nothing.

Kikarian

aye

they're tiresome after a while.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I'm starting to think that's why they do this stuff every time there's some international cup. It'd be too early, though.

I really, really hope this ends up being nothing.

Ah, so apparently this is related to the same investigation that began in 2011 (the one before the Euros), so it's not exactly *new*.

I don't know, I just don't see someone like Gattuso being involved/this stupid. Especially after seeing his results with Palermo.
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Meh, it's more interesting than film/music/game talk. People just have to remember not to copy-paste every bullshit source imaginable.

I liked the discussions over transfers, but was really annoyed whenever a Tancredi or Indy tweet was posted. Despite everyone knowing they were bullshit accounts, people kept posting their shit. Some of those accounts should be banned from this thread.

On the other hand, tweets regarding transfers are like sugar to Killer. Based on that observation, I agree with Morsel.

Stop Killer before it's too late.

pls

For the love of Godnan, do not let Killer start posting IAMITK bollocks.

Article on Philé 'Toblerone' Jones:

DAF67B5CDCB04A47AB4CB7E7E099745B.ashx

(Dat gait)

The old adage decrees that a jack of all trades is a master of none. In Phil Jones, United may well have found an exception to the rule.

Oh dear

"With a name like that, I had just assumed that he was Welsh," laughs Noel Blake, England's Under-19s coach... Phil walked past and I said: 'I've always liked him; shame he's Welsh.' 'No, he's English," Gary said. Phil came into the next squad.

Oh

On such duties, Jones' energy and reading of the game shine through. As a central midfielder or right-back, his power and bravery elevate him. In the centre of defence, his own preferred role, there is a breathless joy to watching him maraud forward, in the same vein as Jaap Stam used to plough down the centre of the field, opponents clinging to him like Lilliputians to Gulliver.

I erm

"People keep going on that he needs to find a position," says United's first team coach Phil Neville, himself a versatile operator in a variety of defensive and midfield roles during his playing career. "I don't worry about that because eventually he will find his position."

Aren't you his coach?

That's his next development now: can he consistently play well, and then can he lead and become United's captain in the next five years? That's the challenge ahead.

I'm not sure that's wise.

Top Bottom