• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT11| Schlong Days, Kipless Nights

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Glenn Hoddle says he's ready to return if Spurs make the call.

nononononono

Not only is he a quack but his proposed Spurs formation is as follows:

Lloris
Chiriches Dawson Vertonghen
Walker Sandro Paulinho Rose
Townsend
Defoe Soldado

Completely batshit.

I didn't really think much of Duncan EdwardsPhil Jones, but everytime I've seen him play this year he's been solid. Probably your most consistent player other than Rppney?

I can appreciate that he does the defending bit well in midfield but he's literally only competent at 50% of the things you're meant to be good at as a central midfielder.

I'm liking him more and more as a central defender though.

That Jones article

Its like propaganda

Tbf it was posted on manutd.com.

L1NETT

Cabaye ain't worth more than 25m odd, but post Bale and pre WC prices could get craaaaazy.

---

QPR and Blackpool interested in Wells according to prats on Twatter.

Baby don't leave me

Please no

-----

Hoddle doesn't seem very Daniel Levy if i'm honest.

bud

Article on Philé 'Toblerone' Jones:

DAF67B5CDCB04A47AB4CB7E7E099745B.ashx

(Dat gait)

Oh dear

Oh

I erm

Aren't you his coach?

I'm not sure that's wise.

those legs are absolutely embarrassing. christ.

Mastadon

Banned
Everywhere seems to be having a bit of a Jordan Henderson love-in at the moment.

The Guardian said:
]While that is debatable, there is no doubt Henderson is progressing. He has started every one of Liverpool's 16 league games, as well as their Capital One Cup third-round defeat at Old Trafford in September. Indeed, the only match Henderson has not started this season is the second-round victory over Notts County, but he still made his presence felt by scoring an important and well-taken goal in extra-time having come on as a 65th-minute substitute.

Not every performance has been impressive, but few now doubt that Henderson is an important element of Liverpool's midfield, providing energy, drive and assurance in possession, traits all seen in the rout of Spurs, when the midfielder made up for the absence of Steven Gerrard through injury with arguably his best showing for the Merseysiders since arriving from Sunderland two years ago, one capped by his first league goal of the season from a position just behind Luis Suárez. Little wonder the former England Under-21 captain is now also back in the senior squad and realistically setting his sights on a place in Roy Hodgson's World Cup party.

[...]

That could well have been the case and it remains true that for all the progress Henderson has made, he remains a work in progress. Yet a general improvement is beyond question, with the weekend display at White Hart Lane suggesting he has what it takes to become a truly pivotal member of Rodgers' team.

"Jordan deserves huge credit for the way he has transformed his Liverpool career," says Pearce. "The biggest compliment I can pay him is that he looks like he belongs at Anfield these days. He is now one of the first names on the team-sheet and tactically he has improved massively under Rodgers and is playing with real confidence. He still needs to pose more of a goal threat in the final third but that will come. The exciting thing for Liverpool is at 23 he's still learning and developing."

Time will tell just how far Henderson goes at Anfield, but what is for sure is that he has already made great strides. Not bad for someone who apparently runs from his knees.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/dec/17/jordan-henderson-liverpool-rise

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
ibj5Hrjnbk4WfK.gif

That's what you get for talking shit you spunkbubble
KuGsj.gif

Haha the dude is the biggest troll jn Turkish football. Fenerbahce is his number one target and I wouldn't be surprised if they ordered some hitman right about now to take him out. Anyway he isn't arrested that was just a rumor. This morning shit hit the fan in Turkish politics and business. Bribery and fraud in Turkish construction projects leading to the arrest of 38 people, consisting of some big business dudes and even sons of some ministers. This is huge and even good old Erdo didn't know what the fuck is going on. Shocking shit I tell you!

Feorax

Warning: Kinda long LFC post incoming.

I suspect that we're going to see some interesting moves for LFC over the next few transfer windows, and the outs will probably be as interesting as the players coming in.

I expect Agger and Aspas to be the players departing in January. Agger has already been covered, but it seems like with Aspas, he's just given up. He tweets a lot about Celta Vigo and his family, which makes me think he's a bit homesick, and he didn't help himself by heaping on the pressure and choosing the number 9 shirt. Carroll may have tainted it somewhat, but 9 is still an iconic number for LFC. You wear it, you need to strive to be a real monster of a striker, and I just don't think Aspas wants it enough.

I also think that if Skrtel gets injured next year, Rodgers will want to start phasing him out. He's had a great season for us so far (own goals aside), but you just know he could go back to being dogshit next season. I would hope Rodgers is considering either Kelly or Coates as possible long term partners for Sakho, but I suspect we might just as easily go back into the transfer market in the summer.

I expect Borini to return in the summer, and be given until January 2015 to prove himself, same with Assaidi. We know both players have it on their locker, and could be good squad players, but if they can't deal with the weight of the shirt then they might as well go.

Neither of our loans will be permanent. I'd be surprised if Cissokho played for us again with Flanagan doing so well. I'd get rid of both in January, but I imagine Rodgers will persevere for the sake of some depth if nothing else.

Finally, I think this will be Johnson's last season with us. His displays are becoming increasingly erratic, and this could be his last chance to play in Spain, which I believe he has wanted to do for some time. Replacing him in the summer will be the most difficult challenge.

That is, if Suarez doesn't leave too...

bjaelke

I think you're reading to much into the Aspas tweets. Half of them are basically just "3 points #YNWA". And Celta isn't doing all that well, so can't fault him for being worried about his old club.

Jack cw

Info from adidas:
Starting with the national team kits for the WC in Brazil, the official MSRP is rising from 79,99€ to 84,99€....

sohois

nononononono

Not only is he a quack but his proposed Spurs formation is as follows:

Lloris
Chiriches Dawson Vertonghen
Walker Sandro Paulinho Rose
Townsend
Defoe Soldado

Completely batshit.

Sweet, more 3-5-2 bros.

I suspect that we're going to see some interesting moves for LFC over the next few transfer windows, and the outs will probably be as interesting as the players coming in.

I expect Agger and Aspas to be the players departing in January. Agger has already been covered, but it seems like with Aspas, he's just given up. He tweets a lot about Celta Vigo and his family, which makes me think he's a bit homesick, and he didn't help himself by heaping on the pressure and choosing the number 9 shirt. Carroll may have tainted it somewhat, but 9 is still an iconic number for LFC. You wear it, you need to strive to be a real monster of a striker, and I just don't think Aspas wants it enough.

I also think that if Skrtel gets injured next year, Rodgers will want to start phasing him out. He's had a great season for us so far (own goals aside), but you just know he could go back to being dogshit next season. I would hope Rodgers is considering either Kelly or Coates as possible long term partners for Sakho, but I suspect we might just as easily go back into the transfer market in the summer.

I expect Borini to return in the summer, and be given until January 2015 to prove himself, same with Assaidi. We know both players have it on their locker, and could be good squad players, but if they can't deal with the weight of the shirt then they might as well go.

Neither of our loans will be permanent. I'd be surprised if Cissokho played for us again with Flanagan doing so well. I'd get rid of both in January, but I imagine Rodgers will persevere for the sake of some depth if nothing else.

Finally, I think this will be Johnson's last season with us. His displays are becoming increasingly erratic, and this could be his last chance to play in Spain, which I believe he has wanted to do for some time. Replacing him in the summer will be the most difficult challenge.

Seems quite bit farfetched.

Aspas to leave after 6 months? No way, especially after 6 months. The fact that he might be homesick or too pressured is going to be irrelevant in the eyes of management since they will just assume he has not had enough time here.

Meanwhile, you display a huge amount of patience to Borini and Assaidi who are far more likely to leave. I myself think Borini should be given more time here, yet with heavy interest still from Italian clubs I doubt Liverpool will skip the chance to make their money back on him. And Rodgers has never shown any interest in Assaidi. A few wondergoals won't change that at all, particularly given that his general loan spell hasn't been that impressive thus far

Mastadon

Banned

Other than Suarez, Gerrard and perhaps Sturridge, I think Johnson has been our best player this season. His passing was a bit shit against Spurs in the first half, and he was pretty poor against Hull (but so were most of the team), but other than that I can't think of a game where he hasn't been excellent.

I think the issue is that he's out of contract, and is already one of our highest earners. Who do you replace him with though?

Salvadora

Why on earth would a multi-billion dollar organisation announce a major management change in a Nintendo Direct
KuGsj.gif

I'm not even sure that they can legally do that.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Can't believe SAS were ever implicated in Diana's death. Typical media agenda against LFC.

Haha the dude is the biggest troll jn Turkish football. Fenerbahce is his number one target and I wouldn't be surprised if they ordered some hitman right about now to take him out. Anyway he isn't arrested that was just a rumor. This morning shit hit the fan in Turkish politics and business. Bribery and fraud in Turkish construction projects leading to the arrest of 38 people, consisting of some big business dudes and even sons of some ministers. This is huge and even good old Erdo didn't know what the fuck is going on. Shocking shit I tell you!

Whoa!

Welcome to the thread btw.
3AQmK.gif

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Can we ban Sky Sport too?

According to Sky Sport 24, Juventus could get Cassano (Probably on loan) for the next six
months with Giovinco heading the other way.

-

And bad news for Damiao's fans

Santos have confirmed the signing of Brazilian striker Leandro Damião from Internacional on a 5-year deal for a fee in the region of €18m.

to another Brazilian club, oh dear.
KuGsj.gif

GorillaJu

I think finding a quality right back to replace Johnson won't be all that daunting of a task. We've already looked at Montoya, and though he has said publicly that he wants to sign a new contract, there's always the possibility that he's privately looking for options without trying to burn any bridges.

He's 22 now and would be ready for first team football every week IMO.

Real's Carvajal who they bought back after selling him to Leverkusen might be convinced to sell him permanently. Don't suppose De Sciglio could ever happen, but he'd be another good young player to look at. I think Frankfurt have a U21 right back who is supposedly decent, but not sure if he's good enough.

My pick would definitely be Nathaniel Clyne, given he is young, clearly talented and can keep up in the PL, but somehow I don't think it's any more likely than Carvajal or Montoya :lol

Why on earth would a multi-billion dollar organisation announce a major management change in a Nintendo Direct
KuGsj.gif

I'm not even sure that they can legally do that.

Here's a Mario game!
Zelda spinoff OMG!
3DS redesign you stupid fuckers!
Oh yeah, Iwata's been sacked btw
WiiU Fit hnngggghhhhhhhh

@Odd, Carvajal is shit. There's a reason Arbeloa is still first choice

Clegg

I don't expect United to make big money signings in Jan; there just isnt enough time to have a protracted saga.

We'll sign someone though.

Mastadon

Banned
I think finding a quality right back to replace Johnson won't be all that daunting of a task. We've already looked at Montoya, and though he has said publicly that he wants to sign a new contract, there's always the possibility that he's privately looking for options without trying to burn any bridges.

He's 22 now and would be ready for first team football every week IMO.

Real's Carvajal who they bought back after selling him to Leverkusen might be convinced to sell him permanently. Don't suppose De Sciglio could ever happen, but he'd be another good young player to look at. I think Frankfurt have a U21 right back who is supposedly decent, but not sure if he's good enough.

My pick would definitely be Nathaniel Clyne, given he is young, clearly talented and can keep up in the PL, but somehow I don't think it's any more likely than Carvajal or Montoya :lol

Clyne is a good shout. Serge Aurier from Toulouse would be an option, although he's primarily a CB I think. Or maybe Uchida from Schalke?

The fears of overpaying should be dwarfed by the fear of not qualifying for the Champions League.

Laboured (and United bros) are speaking like accountants.

I think you have to take into account the cost v age balance. On the other hand I'm not sure we could rely on Shaw being our instant Evra replacement. That's too much pressure.

Meier

Looking at Redbull Salzburg playerslist, they apparently have a Barcelona reject who's scoring a shitton of goals for them. But I don't know any of their players really. Still not sure if I should be afraid of them, but I guess we're the favorites in these games :p

Yordy Reyna is one guy to watch out for. I imagine he'll be there for two years tops.

How did I miss this?!

European Goals Chart:

City - 47 goals
Real Madrid - 46 goals
Barcelona - 44 goals
Bayern Munich - 42 goals
PSG - 42 goals
I posted an infographic from MCFC.co.uk of this chart and some other info. Pretty interesting stuff in it!

Okay I'm sure I'm late to the party on this one, but I lost my shit at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISfQDtnz5rc[url][/QUOTE] Yikes! May want to mention NSFW.

Salvadora

I think you have to take into account the cost v age balance. On the other hand I'm not sure we could rely on Shaw being our instant Evra replacement. That's too much pressure.
Of course you do, but you also have to consider:

• Baines is the best LB in the country.
  • United are in a dire situation
  • Baines is a "Moyes boy"

On a financial level, yes, United would probably have to overspend. And you're right, he's old, but you need emergency surgery, not a future project at the moment.

faridmon

Of course you do, but you also have to consider:

• Baines is the best LB in the country.
  • United are in a dire situation
  • Baines is a "Moyes boy"

On a financial level, yes, United would probably have to overspend. And you're right, he's old, but you need emergency surgery, not a future project at the moment.

£30m pls

Top Bottom