• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

football thread 13/14 |ot12| last roll of the dive

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegoArmo

The only youth academy player Liverpool can be legitimately given credit for is Steven Gerrard. Flanagan may become a player in the broader sense, but the best you could say about our coaching is that we're keen to nurture. Southampton should get special credit for producing talent - they could churn out the next English team with players like Ward Prowse, Clyne, Shaw, Chambers, Johnstone (talented young keeper), Ox, etc.

United deserve credit for Welbeck, but Cleverley is a Bradford boy if I recall correctly. The history is there, though.

While this is true, I think playing English players at the highest level helps too, not just the early development.

Sturridge for example, compared to his time at Chelsea, is much improved because he's at a club where he gets games and the manager trusts him.

Those 4 clubs I mentioned have usually had a pretty solid base of England players in their side, purchased or otherwise. In comparison to Arsenal, and now City. Even clubs like Newcastle would rather go out and spend on French players than English, but I can't blame them because of the inflated pricing.

GorillaJu

While this is true, I think playing English players at the highest level helps too, not just the early development.

Sturridge for example, compared to his time at Chelsea, is much improved because he's at a club where he gets games and the manager trusts him.

Yes I do like the commitment to playing young players and giving them the chance they deserve and you're right that all of those clubs do their part.

Speaking of getting chances, Mohamed Salah's previous contractor is on record as being willing to scrap the agreed sell-on fee with Basel to help Salah get his move to England. It says a lot about a player's personality that those around him are willing to eschew financial gain to see him succeed.

Also read that article that Moses's lack of starts is souring Chelsea's prospects of selling us Bertrand. Sorry Chelsea, we are not developing your player for you – if he's not good enough to play, he won't play. Though I disagree with accusations that he's lazy. I don't think he's lazy I think he just doesn't fit, though his mentality may be a part of that.

wedward

Those 4 clubs I mentioned have usually had a pretty solid base of England players in their side, purchased or otherwise. In comparison to Arsenal, and now City. Even clubs like Newcastle would rather go out and spend on French players than English, but I can't blame them because of the inflated pricing.

Arsenal have 5 english players that consistently play. Similar to Liverpool

Wilshere, Gibbs, Theo, Ox, Jenkinson

Gerrard, Johnson, Sturridge, Sterling, Henderson.

LegoArmo

Arsenal have improved lately. Numbers are up. Liverpool's English players play more for the national team though, I'd imagine.

Definitely better than City though, their first choice 11 has 1 English starter, I think.... and they'll probably win the league, so can't say they're wrong.

wedward

Arsenal have improved lately. Numbers are up. Liverpool's English players play more for the national team though, I'd imagine.

Definitely better than City though, their first choice 11 has 1 English starter, I think.... and they'll probably win the league, so can't say they're wrong.

Current Liverpool players have more caps because of Gerrard.

Wilshere, Theo and Ox have 63 caps among the 3 of them.

Sterling, Henderson and Sturridge have 17 caps among the 3 of them.

wedward

All of those players start for Liverpool though, Ox and Jenko don't start for us.

Don't see how that changes the conversation. Ox doesnt start because he is hurt and was behind Theo. Jenkinson because he is behind Sagna. They still feature and are still good english players for the future.

Kyoufu

We have 1 English starter too. Mike Williamson. GOAT.

Don't see how that changes the conversation. Ox doesnt start because he is hurt and was behind Theo. Jenkinson because he is behind Sagna. They still feature and are still good english players for the future.

Well because they aren't starters. It's like saying Chelsea have Bertrand when they don't use him lol, I wouldn't really count him or I wouldn't count Richards really for City.

wedward

Well because they aren't starters. It's like saying Chelsea have Bertrand when they don't use him lol, I wouldn't really count him or I wouldn't count Richards really for City.

Why not? They are English. The conversation was English players for those teams.

Bertrand isn't really comparable because we use the Ox. We also use Jenkinson.

Ox has had 60 appearances for Arsenal before turning 20. Jenkinson 49 at the age of 21. They aren't rotting on the bench.

He said "Those 4 clubs I mentioned have usually had a pretty solid base of England players in their side, purchased or otherwise."

Why not? They are English. The conversation was English players for those teams.

Bertrand isn't really comparable because we use the Ox. We also use Jenkinson.

Ox has had 60 appearances for Arsenal before turning 20. Jenkinson 49 at the age of 21. They aren't rotting on the bench.

He said "Those 4 clubs I mentioned have usually had a pretty solid base of England players in their side, purchased or otherwise."

Eh I would just see it as starters. They aren't rotting but if you look at first teams that Arsenal would put out every single week if they could ensure everyone would be 100 percent fit then they would have three English starters. But I would say four because Ramsey is at least British.

Oh well. Doesn't matter. Who cares, they are English and part of our squad, that is good. I was just talking about starters.

wedward

Eh I would just see it as starters. They aren't rotting but if you look at first teams that Arsenal would put out every single week if they could ensure everyone would be 100 percent fit then they would have three English starters. But I would say four because Ramsey is at least British.

Oh well. Doesn't matter. Who cares, they are English and part of our squad, that is good. I was just talking about starters.

Fair enough.

sohois

Liverpool could include Kelly and Flanagan if Arsenal include Ox and Jenkinson as well.

-

I find it highly amusing how Chelsea are 'punishing' Liverpool for not playing Moses, firstly just for the sheer ridiculous nature of the thing, but secondly as the actual punishment is not letting Liverpool buy a rank average LB from them. It's a fucking reward in my book.

GQman2121

Banned
Real talk, Chalobah is a legit English prospect. I think he's coming back to us at the right time (in one week) and with our current roster he might find himself grabbing some minutes this month.

What is Cole, chopped liver? :p

We're actually fairly loaded with young English talent. They're just not as good as Brazilians so they get loaned out....permanently.
Knew I was forgetting someone, so sleepy. :( Can't wait next year when our players from Vitesse/Chelsea Jr. + other clubs come back.

Also, we desperately need Van Ginkel back. I don't know how much longer we can last with a shaky defensive mid line.

qindarka

Banned
Knew I was forgetting someone, so sleepy. :( Can't wait next year when our players from Vitesse/Chelsea Jr. + other clubs come back.

Also, we desperately need Van Ginkel back. I don't know how much longer we can last with a shaky defensive mid line.

Can't see Van Ginkel playing any further part this season. Even when he recovers, it will be the deep end of the season where we will (hopefully) be contending for honours and it would be asking a lot to throw him into the fray.

We've got Terry, Cahill, and fat Frank. We're doing our part.

Wish Terry would be going to Brazil. He has been very good this season

Can't see Van Ginkel playing any further part this season. Even when he recovers, it will be the deep end of the season where we will (hopefully) be contending for honours and it would be asking a lot to throw him into the fray.
Unfortunately, you're probably right. :( This just makes me want Guarin even more or another player that can play box to box.

Wish Terry would be going to Brazil. He has been very good this season

Yeah I was thinking Terry was past it last season but he's been fantastic with the return of Mou.

Wonder if Chalobah will get some minutes in the sup ties when he's back.

3Sixty

Real talk, Chalobah is a legit English prospect. I think he's coming back to us at the right time (in one week) and with our current roster he might find himself grabbing some minutes this month.

Chalobah is never going to end up playing for Chelsea.

Salazar

I'm not familiar with this gentleman

Cockend. Wastrel. Thinks he's a Bond villain.

HOa9ucX.jpg

GorillaJu

The PS4 is a great system. Love mine so far. It'd make my year if Persona 5 was on it, just a basic port of the PS3 version would please me greatly

Zabojnik

Okay, so this probably won't happen. But if it happens ... There are rumors that Fiorentina might go after Quagliarella now that Rossi is out for 3 months. You know who Marry is going to ask for in return ...

brendannod.gif

Cuadrado.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Okay, so this probably won't happen. But if it happens ... There are rumors that Fiorentina might go after Quagliarella now that Rossi is out for 3 months. You know who Marry is going to ask for in return ...

brendannod.gif

Cuadrado.
Zabo don't do this to yourself baby

We only buy from Atalanta and Udinese at this time of the year.

Cuadrado's half from Udinese

Zabojnik

I'm terrified we might actually sign Biabiany. Conte pls, start looking for proper 4-3-3 players. It was a spectacular formation when Pepe was still a football player.

We have to go back
at least in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom