• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

football thread 13/14 |ot12| last roll of the dive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

I absolutely love it, it's applicable to both you and FF when something stupid comes out of your mouths <3

Getting a bit tired of your shit plug. Madrid gaf should throw you out.

Edit: wait do you still support real or is it atletico now?

pulga

Banned
Getting a bit tired of your shit plug. Madrid gaf should throw you out.

Edit: wait do you still support real or is it atletico now?

Mellow out baby, go smoke some of that stuff you've been calling fruit gums lately
KuGsj.gif

e418.png

K1LLER7

We're in a weird position atm. We usually have the lions share of possession with just two midfielders playing. That would normally be a good thing, but we create absolutely nothing through the centre. We must prod it around a bit before playing it out wide and hoofing a cross into the box. On top of our inability to create our midfield also gets opened up so easily. It took Swansea just two passes through the middle to score against us last weekend ffs.

Play three in the middle and we become more solid at the back but we still have the problems of creativity because nine of our cms are creative. And if we play three in midfield we lose an attacker. When we struggle enough to score goals we can hardly take off a winger or a striker even if that player is in poor form. Play 4-5-1 and we still have problems with creativity and goals.

------- RvP -- Rooney -------

----------- Adnan ---------

---- Kagawa -- Fletch ----
----------- Carrick ----------

Buttner - Evans - Vidic - Rafa

4-3-1-2. Should keep us solid through the middle and allow us to play and create more through the middle instead of lumping it forwards and towards the wing all the time.

Clegg

------- RvP -- Rooney -------

----------- Adnan ---------

---- Kagawa -- Fletch ----
----------- Carrick ----------

Buttner - Evans - Vidic - Rafa

4-3-1-2. Should keep us solid through the middle and allow us to play and create more through the middle instead of lumping it forwards and towards the wing all the time.
Maybe, but that would require us to move away from a style of play ingrained into the clubs DNA. We also look terrible when we don't play with wingers. Even if our wingers are terrible like they are atm we're still better off with wide men playing.

Kagawa isnt the solution to anything either, especially not as a central midfielder. That's the job of a proper, creative cm. One which we don't currently have at the club.

Pjanic pls.

Meier

He's still on Chelsea's payroll?!

What.the.fuck.
Of course. He was only fired last season. They probably owe him for another season even I'd bet.

Unlikely many clubs would pay him as much so I guess he's just biding his time. If he signs a new deal, his old contract will be ripped up.

Maybe, but that would require us to move away from a style of play ingrained into the clubs DNA. We also look terrible when we don't play with wingers. Even if our wingers are terrible like they are atm we're still better off with wide men playing.

Kagawa isnt the solution to anything either, especially not as a central midfielder. That's the job of a proper, creative cm. One which we don't currently have at the club.

Pjanic pls.

Fuck the wingers. They deserve to be dropped at the moment. Having a play style be the club's DNA is some shit Xavi would say.

I don't even trust Moyes when it comes to transfers. He's the one who had doubts over Thiago being good enough for the PL.

K1LLER7

Pjanic pls.
Rather try with no wingers than continuously hope for one of Valencia's crosses to find its target.

I think Shinji could work in a midfield 3. Let him be the one to venture forwards whilst the other 2 stay back.

Maybe:

---------- RVP --------
-- Rooney - Adnan --

------- Kagawa -------
Carrick ---- Fletcher

Play wingers tucked in instead of the out-n-out wingers like Valencia and Young.

whogivesashit.gif

Those who want to see us stay there.

Some fans who want us to sign a striker this January are thinking we can sign a star striker, but they forget that Wenger is looking for backup for Giroud. Anyone better would mean that Giroud would be relegated to the subs bench for the rest of the season minus FA cup matches.

faridmon

There’s an Everton fan who is the most disrespectful, illegible fucking ape sometimes. I like him, but he talks utter cock a lot. Moyes consistently finished fifth, sixth, even fourth once and got knobbed out of the CL by a dodgy penalty decision if I remember correctly, with a far poorer squad than he had now in a stronger period for the league. Finished above Liverpool a fair few occasions, and it’s entirely disrespectful to claim after a few months in the job that Moyes was holding Everton back and Martinez will take them to the cusp of fucking immortality and relentless cock gobblings by flavour of the month mangoes. Let’s see where Everton are at the end of the year, hmm?

I am moved by such words.

There is something in my eyes... I am not crying... Baka!

sohois

Rather try with no wingers than continuously hope for one of Valencia's crosses to find its target.

I think Shinji could work in a midfield 3. Let him be the one to venture forwards whilst the other 2 stay back.

Maybe:

---------- RVP --------
-- Rooney - Adnan --

------- Kagawa -------
Carrick ---- Fletcher

Play wingers tucked in instead of the out-n-out wingers like Valencia and Young.

That team would get destroyed defensively. You have 2 players who aren't going to do any defensive work in Adnan and Kagawa, United can really only afford to have 1 on the pitch at a time. There is no reason to continue including Kagawa in formations, he has shown nothing for United.

Clegg

TBF, Fergus did try out the diamond last season.
We did, but that was quickly abandoned when it became apparent that our full backs were left exposed. We were no longer overrun in midfield but still couldn't create chances. I remember actually having a midfielder stand on the wing to pump in crosses as we didn't know how to do anything else. Again a symptom of no creative central players, but also of only knowing one way how to play.

pulga

Banned
We did, but that was quickly abandoned when it became apparent that our full backs were left exposed. We were no longer overrun in midfield but still couldn't create chances. I remember actually having a midfielder stand on the wing to pump in crosses as we didn't know how to do anything else. Again a symptom of no creative central players, but also of only knowing one way how to play.

cleff read the blog, there's a whole section just for you :lol

qindarka

Banned
Of course. He was only fired last season. They probably owe him for another season even I'd bet.

Unlikely many clubs would pay him as much so I guess he's just biding his time. If he signs a new deal, his old contract will be ripped up.

Nah, he only had a two year contract.

Hope he manages to get a job at a reasonably big club after this season.

Barzul

I wish Arsenal fans could talk about formations. Wenger just plays the same shit week in week out regardless of how it works or how the opponent is set up.
Well we keep winning this season, so there really isn't much need to do so. I used to discuss formations quite a bit when we weren't doing so great like the 2011-2012 season.

Clegg

cleff read the blog, there's a whole section just for you :lol
I already have and disagree with some of it. Yes we pumped in a lot of crosses under Fergie, but it worked for him. Under Moyes we've one of the worst completed cross ratios in the league and we're crossing it even more than we did under SAF. When it became clear that it wasn't working we should've at least tried something else. Wing play is the core of our attack, but some sort of variation is now necessary and has been for a while. Moyes is culpable for not doing that. As noted earlier on this page, we don't have many other options other than wingplay. But he's a manager with over 10 years experience in the top flight and should know when and how go change things.

And Moyes did cock up the transfer window in the summer. He was certainly let down by Woodward's lack of negotiating skills, but at the same time he should've been more aware that the longer the Fabregas saga dragged on the more likely it was we were being played. He's been in management long enough to know some if the tricks. Far too much time was spent on Fabregas and that cost us when we went back in the market.

I should probably say that I'm not solely placing the blame on him. The players shoulder plenty of the blame as some of them are playing well below their best. But only so much can be said about them before we start dealing with the manager's mistakes and short coimings. I want him to succeed but it's still blindingly obvious that he struggling massively.

Also, I don't think anyone is only blaming Moyes. Every player is getting blamed apart from de Gea, Januzaj, and Rppmey. Just go back and read the pages based on this game. A lot of players are getting crucified.

Moyes has done a bad job. End of. This team may not be good enough to win the title or get top 2, but nobody is asking for that now are they? In 2012 United had no RVP, had the most injuries in the league that season (yes even more than Arsenal), still had a shit midfield, had a less experienced de Gea, but still came close to winning the league. Young was crap after the first 3 months of that season. Nani was injured after his brilliant first half. Valencia picked up his play for the second half of the season to get him United's player of the year award.

Due to the wingers being much better that year I'm not expecting Moyes to do better than 2012 or equal it. He should be doing better than he currently is and the players at his disposal (RVP injury aside) should be able to beat the teams United are currently losing to.

la_injury_league_120425.jpg

Not to mention that we had RVP earlier and we were still shit. Everyone was talking about how RVP was in a bad slump and others were arguing that he was getting shit service. Why wouldn't that still continue?

And Moyes did cock up the transfer window in the summer. He was certainly let down by Woodward's lack of negotiating skills, but at the same time he should've been more away that the longer the Fabregas saga dragged on the more likely it was we were being played. He's been in management long enough to know some if the tricks. Far too much time was spent on Fabregas and that cost us when we went back in the market.

Fabregas was such an idiotic target. Barca had just lost Thiago. Why on earth would they be willing to lose Fabregas in the same summer with Xavi declining?

Di Matteo is actually a pretty offensively minded manager, barring that CL run.

Not really relevant to your post but the stage is set for Moyes to end Mourinho's home record, isn't it. Dreading the match.
I'm not overly bothered to be honest. It's good to have records and all, but it's bound to be broken at some point. I'd be more bothered by the fact we dropped points to a team who are currently being beaten by any old scrubs.

Will is delusional, he's spitting like Moyes is actually doing ok with what he's got. Man Utd plays horrible soulless football, and even with the setbacks there's more than enough quality there to not lose against a team that has only won 3 games in the PL this season.

This is a man who has an eye for good players imo, but he ain't no big league manager. It's a motherfuckin 50 year old with plenty of experience in the PL, and got Man Utd playing like it doesn't even believe it can win.

I agree with Will's blog. Fuck, the articles are really well written and more people should read it.

I agree that part of the blame is with Moyes too, but it doesn't excuse the fact that we were given a team with gaping holes in defense and midfield when Moyes stepped in.

jtb

Banned
I'm surprised at all this "United haven't had a consistently good 90 minute performance this season" talk because I thought they were consistently better than Arsenal for the 90 minutes at Old Trafford.

Top 4 finish + League cup would not be a horrible return in what is very clearly a transition year. And that would be easily feasible, even with the current squad.

Well we keep winning this season, so there really isn't much need to do so. I used to discuss formations quite a bit when we weren't doing so great like the 2011-2012 season.

Yeah it is a case if it aint broke don't fix it, but it would be nice to see some variety especially in the CL.

So far we just play 4-2-3-1 regardless of how are opponents play.

I know we dont have the personal but it would be nice to play with two up front when we play against teams who just sit back. The West Ham and Cardiff wins were very tough because we only had the one up front.

wedward

I'm surprised at all this "United haven't had a consistently good 90 minute performance this season" talk because I thought they were consistently better than Arsenal for the 90 minutes at Old Trafford.

Top 4 finish + League cup would not be a horrible return in what is very clearly a transition year. And that would be easily feasible, even with the current squad.

You should rewatch that game.

Also - what does a "consistently good 90 minute performance" mean? If you are good for 90 minutes, of course it is consistent. But no team is the better team for 90 minutes.

holy shit, i fell asleep 5 minutes before the lols began.

we even got a guest appearance of the mong creature doicare.

United, pls, you know what to do.

- won 5 domestic titles including the league, Moyes never did with Everton
- vast CL experience, Moyes never had with Everton
- reached an european final, Moyes never did with Everton
- actually destroyed Moyes's Everton over 2 legs, 7-0

jorge_jesus_lingua_fora.jpg

DO IT!

I have no hope that they'd even finish 5th this year.

I'm ok with it though. World Cup is coming and I'm saving up all my suicidal thoughts when England fucks it up yet again.

Barzul

Anyone here done Insanity? 1 week in and it doesn't feel much easier (although I'm stretching a lot better). I would just love to do a whole session without stopping until Shaun T calls it.

jtb

Banned
I have no hope that they'd even finish 5th this year.

I'm ok with it though. World Cup is coming and I'm saving up all my suicidal thoughts when England fucks it up yet again.

Liverpool will collapse, it is inevitable. Tottenham will be bogged down by Europa League (though I guess it's pretty likely that Sherwood will dump it ASAP). Everton will be a bit trickier, though. Gap's not that large though. 4th is well within reach.

GorillaJu

United can feasibly finish in the top 4 but it's not in their hands at this point. The teams above them don't look so fragile as to just let United waltz in.

Barzul

Why do people keep mentioning an inevitable Liverpool collapse? I really don't see it unless Suarez inexplicably gets injured. I mean they have Sturridge returning and they've been winning against the lower teams. If anything I find it far less like that United is suddenly going to rediscover title winning form and pip Liverpool to that Champions League spot, especially as they are competing on a lot more fronts. Liverpool did very well vs. City and Chelsea despite the losses can't say for sure they'll lose those games at Anfield and I'm even more certain they won't be losing to United at current form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom