• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

football thread 13/14 |ot12| last roll of the dive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy

Fergie and Charlton are making things worse for Moyes with what they did in the stands against Sunderland. Hope Arsene Wenger doesn't do what froggie is doing, let the man get on with the job, don't be a distracting shadow.
Fully agree. I remember reading when Shankly retired, Liverpool's board and Paisley had to start banning him from the training ground because most of the players still refered to him as 'boss'.

FootballFan

I wonder what have happened if Pep had picked ManUtd, and if he had convinced Thiago to come along.

Probably would be first and undefeated.

just joking, not with that squad imo. Definitely would be doing much better than Moyes though

Fergie and Charlton are making things worse for Moyes with what they did in the stands against Sunderland. Hope Arsene Wenger doesn't do what froggie is doing, let the man get on with the job, don't be a distracting shadow.

I hope we don't let Wenger hand pick his successor. Moyes was not the best man for the job, but Fergie was looking for someone who was like him, except Ferie was already a European winning manager and Moyes still hasn't won anything.
Sorry Charity Sheild.

I want Arsenal to get the best man for the job, not one who is hired simply because he reminds Wenger of himself or an ex player who Wenger is blind too.

Gnabry
Reus-Micky-Auba

Kloppo will turn him into the striker you've always wanted since Henry left.

How is he when he plays for the German youth levels? Stewart Robson who does a lot of Arsenal PL games and use to work for ArsenalTV is always going on about him being amazing when he has watched him for the German youths.
he always rabbits on when Gnabry is touching the ball

Jack cw

I wonder what have happened if Pep had picked ManUtd, and if he had convinced Thiago to come along.

just joking, not with that squad imo. Definitely would be doing much better than Moyes though

I think Pep was smart enough to see that United needed a complete overhaul and just didnt want to be the guy doing it. He just took the team that had the best coherence and perspective. United will come back but it needs some changes and new blood that has international class.

Blablurn

peps "i want thiago or nothing" speech was so damn epic. what a coach. Jupp pls.

Jack cw

peps "i want thiago or nothing" speech was so damn epic. what a coach. Jupp pls.

I was more impressed with Jupps call for Javi Martinez. A not so popular guy who had a 40 million price tag. But yes, Thiago was the player I hoped would join us the most, but seemed so unrealistic. Same goes with Pep as coach, I never had thought a guy like him would choose us, never.

Lightning

Banned
I hope we don't let Wenger hand pick his successor. Moyes was not the best man for the job, but Fergie was looking for someone who was like him, except Ferie was already a European winning manager and Moyes still hasn't won anything.
Sorry Charity Sheild.

I want Arsenal to get the best man for the job, not one who is hired simply because he reminds Wenger of himself or an ex player who Wenger is blind too.
If Wenger doesn't pick the successor you trust Gazadis, Dick Law and Sir Chips to do the selecting? How about no. Wenger's selection will be the one we roll with.

Haha, you wish. Gnarbys name is not exotic enough, so this transfer is off the table.

Jack pls

We got rid of this fetish

How is he when he plays for the German youth levels? Stewart Robson who does a lot of Arsenal PL games and use to work for ArsenalTV is always going on about him being amazing when he has watched him for the German youths.
he always rabbits on when Gnabry is touching the ball

How would I know, sorry, I don't care for the guy at all. I'd rather have Timo Werner, proper Stuttgart talent.

Blablurn

I was more impressed with Jupps call for Javi Martinez. A not so popular guy who had a 40 million price tag. But yes, Thiago was the player I hoped would join us the most, but seemed so unrealistic. Same goes with Pep as coach, I never had thought a guy like him would choose us, never.

My Jupp was about the user Jupp haha. Real Jupp was great as well. No doubt.

Salazar

I would go for the R9 290. Very good price performance. I bought a 770 and kinda regret not waiting a bit longer and going for that.

This is what I put together a while back.

oopYSxN.png

Just looking for some kind of substantial push forward. Have significant though not ridiculous funds to put towards it. Nice if I could retain some parts from this build.

If Wenger doesn't pick the successor you trust Gazadis, Dick Law and Sir Chips to do the selecting? How about no. Wenger's selection will be the one we roll with.

because giving all the power to one person hasn't hurt us so far;P It is shocking and unacceptable that we only have one person, Wenger, in power that knows anything about football. The first thing we should have do,
and I am surprised United didn't do it
is bringing in a director of football and other people who have experience within the game.

Wenger should have minimal input, because he will most likely give us the Dragan

Jack pls

We got rid of this fetish

How would I know, sorry, I don't care for the guy at all. I'd rather have Timo Werner, proper Stuttgart talent.

haha sorry, assumed you might have followed the national youth teams of something.

Seems like people are conveniently the forgetting the two-legged nature of the League Cup semis in their clamour to have a go at Moyes. Man Utd are still overwhelming favourites to make it to the final.

(Yes, I know that its not just the LC where things are going wrong)

What is this shite?

Best team in the world, massive funds available, fuck all competition in the league, secure future. Why the fuck wouldn't he choose you? Because you finished outside the top 4 a decade ago? Nonsense.

Same goes with Pep as coach, I never had thought a guy like him would choose us, never.

Well Trap picked you twenty years before:D

Best team in the world, massive funds available, fuck all competition in the league, secure future. Why the fuck wouldn't he choose you? Because you finished outside the top 4 a decade ago? Nonsense.

This.

His options seemed to be.

Chelsea, shit tons of pay but no control and job security he wanted.
United, was Fergie even thinking about retiring at that time???
Roma, I still think this would have been great. A project and I think he speaks Italian. Would have been nice to see him try and show he is a great manager without a ready built team.
Munich for all the options Hitch said.

Lightning

Banned
because giving all the power to one person hasn't hurt us so far;P It is shocking and unacceptable that we only have one person, Wenger, in power that knows anything about football. The first thing we should have do,
and I am surprised United didn't do it
is bringing in a director of football and other people who have experience within the game.

Wenger should have minimal input, because he will most likely give us the Dragan
Sporting director? Like what Spurs tried to do and successfully managed to go out and buy £100m worth of players and still be shit? Sporting director doesn't guarantee you shit.

Jack cw

What is this shite?

Its no shit, Hitch. A few years ago we were outclassed by Barca and were basically at the same spot were United is right now. We were happy with transfers like Tim Borowski or something. We managed to climb to the top 5 clubs but in no way we are able to compete with PSG, City, Chelsea, Barca or Real when it comes to money. Pep could have earned double of the wages he gets at Bayern. I am glad he chose us because of other reasons than only money and and a better league.

Well Trap picked you twenty years before:D
Trap is the second best coach Bayern ever had! :D I miss him, he was always like a grandfather :(

Sporting director? Like what Spurs tried to do and successfully managed to go out and buy £100m worth of players and still be shit? Sporting director doesn't guarantee you shit.

No they dont, but you forget that every club in Europe except for what seems like United and Arsenal have sporting directors or the equivalent. Fuck Juve have like 100.

dc89

I thought Racing fans were fighting Almeria fans. They attacked the president?

United do it every year. Forgot about it though.

Did Moyes ban photographers from Carrington this season (aside from CL match training)? There are no photos anymore compared to the previous years.

Not banned. Eaten.

Lightning

Banned
No they dont, but you forget that every club in Europe except for what seems like United and Arsenal have sporting directors or the equivalent. Fuck Juve have like 100.
Because only our clubs have managers for long term. Bayern go through the managers, as do Madrid, as do Chelsea, as do Spurs, as do Man City etc... So the managers there have less responsibility as a result.

FootballFan

Wow Tito doesn't look very good. :(

timthumb.php

Was at the game vs Getafe.

Good luck with the recovery Tito <3 Never got a proper chance as our coach. Fuck cancer.

This is what I put together a while back.

oopYSxN.png

Just looking for some kind of substantial push forward. Have significant though not ridiculous funds to put towards it. Nice if I could retain some parts from this build.

You should PM Kharma. He's good with this stuff.

My substandard advice would be to wait for Maxwell news/Mantle benchmarks.

What games do you play?

Lightning you chat so much shit these days.

If I made a graph of the amount of shit you chat (x) vs Arsenal's position in the table (y) there would be a strong positive correlation. And I'd have to use a logarithmic scale on the x axis because it increases exponentially.

Feorax

Really good article on comparisons between United post Ferguson and Liverpool post Dalglish (1st spell).

Edit: forgot it was banned :p it's on the Daily Fail's website. I'll post the transcript shortly.

Edit 2:

April 28, 1990. Anfield is bouncing and the Kop is in full voice after Liverpool have been confirmed as champions of England for the 18th time. A new decade starts with the arrival of more silverware, maintaining the glorious theme of the 1970s and 1980s, and Kenny Dalglish&#8217;s position as the most inspirational manager in British football has been cemented &#8212; that was his third title in five years, to sit alongside two FA Cups. Liverpool finished that campaign seven points ahead of their nearest pursuers, Aston Villa, and had a yawning advantage of 31 points over 13th-placed Manchester United. To put Liverpool&#8217;s domination into context, it was the 34th major honour they had won since 1973.

Nobody predicted the empire would crumble, despite Dalglish&#8217;s shock departure on health grounds in February 1991. Not even two years later when his successor Graeme Souness&#8217;s first full campaign in charge had ended with an FA Cup triumph, a few weeks after Liverpool and their fans had gleefully celebrated wrecking United&#8217;s challenge for a first title in 25 years. That was the last time, before these last dispiriting seven days, that United had suffered three defeats in a week and the scenes that followed that 2-0 win in April 1992, in which Ian Rush scored his first goal against Liverpool&#8217;s most bitter rivals, suggested normal service would soon be resumed.

But crumble it did. The &#8216;bastion of invincibility&#8217;, as Bill Shankly called Liverpool, lost their aura. The decision of one iconic figure to end his tenure presaged an extra-ordinary reversal in fortune and there is no doubt United fans will be fretting whether Ferguson&#8217;s departure will have parallels with Dalglish. Do not underestimate how important one figure can be. When Dalglish walked away, Liverpool were three points clear at the top of the First Division and favourites for the title. They ended the campaign trailing the new champions Arsenal by seven. It was not a blip. Over the next three seasons, the gap between Liverpool and first place kept widening. They were 18 points behind Leeds in 1992; 12 months later they had fallen 25 points behind United before 1994 saw Liverpool trail in a massive 32 points adrift of Ferguson&#8217;s men.

Liverpool have won 13 honours since 1990, including the Champ-ions League, but the one they covet more than anything &#8212; that 19th English title &#8212; continues to elude them.
Ferguson reflected in his recently published memoirs: &#8216;Towards the end of Kenny&#8217;s first spell in charge, you could sense a shift. The team had grown old and Liverpool were starting to make unusual purchases: Jimmy Carter, David Speedie. These were untypical Liverpool signings.&#8217; Some of that is true. Dalglish would bristle at the criticism of those buys but the perception that he left a team full of veterans when he left is wrong. The average age of his final team selection against Everton was 27.3 and many top players, such as John Barnes, Jan Molby and Ian Rush, still had much to offer. &#8216;Graeme Souness made the right move but too quickly, breaking up an ageing team too fast,&#8217; Ferguson argued. &#8216;Graeme is a good guy but he&#8217;s impetuous. He can&#8217;t get there quickly enough. And his impetuosity cost him.&#8217;

Football has, of course, changed dramatically since the days Liverpool set the agenda but what happened at Anfield and what could yet unfold at Old Trafford under David Moyes is the same. The departure of such a towering figure; one who has commanded so much respect and been a source of inspiration, cannot fail to have an impact. Ferguson might be providing Moyes with support at this moment but are his players doing everything for him? Consider this observation from Barnes, made the day after Ferguson announced he was retiring last May. It was one he was well placed to offer, given he experienced the highs of winning the title and the nadir that came with transition.

&#8216;If the Manchester United players don&#8217;t do as well as they have done this year and in previous years, it will be no reflection on the new manager,&#8217; Barnes said. &#8216;It will be a reflection on them. If you are going to do what you have done under Sir Alex Ferguson, why should that change? &#8216;But we know human nature. In modern football, managers bear the brunt of anything negative. When new managers come in, they are not bad managers. I went through this when Graeme came in. We recognised that he might not be popular with the fans. &#8216;I would never accuse another player of not trying but subconsciously you know as a player if you don&#8217;t win that day, the fans are going to boo the manager rather than you coming off the field. As long as that is the case, you don&#8217;t have to perform.
&#8216;You then have to question the players, if they have respect for the manager and for the club, and ask whether they have done what they have done because of the manager or because of themselves?&#8217;

Those words have been prophetic. Whether United are set to follow Liverpool&#8217;s example or arrest this slide depends as much on his squad as it does on Moyes

Oh, and Fry, James Pearce, who is doing the webchat later for the Echo, says we are prioritising LB and CM. Looks like Salah is on the back burner.

Salazar

Because only our clubs have managers for long term. Bayern go through the managers, as do Madrid, as do Chelsea, as do Spurs, as do Man City etc... So the managers there have less responsibility as a result.

We have so many demonstrably incompetent, spent, and toxic players to fuck off before Moyes even comes into the firing line.

Some idiot on Redcafe was wibbling about the building of a siege mentality in favour of Moyes and "fans actually turning against the team".

Too fucking right.

What games do you play?

Witcher 2, Skyrim, ARMA II. Probably buying stuff in a couple of months. Something with enough heft to run new open world shit very beautiful and fast.

Moyes will be lucky to see his second year. And our next manager will not be given the same power as Wenger and even he has admitted he has not been up to the job, but he would never work with anyone on transfers
stubborn cunt.

As long as their is a good upper management it does not matter much if there is a turnover every 3 or 4 years. It is not ideal, but it isn't the end of the world.

qindarka

Banned
Pep could have earned double of the wages he gets at Bayern. I am glad he chose us because of other reasons than only money and and a better league.

Isn't he already by far the best paid manager in the world? At least going by that chart we use to make fun of Allardyce.

Fady K

Wow Tito doesn't look very good. :(

Good luck with the recovery Tito <3 Never got a proper chance as our coach. Fuck cancer.

Really hope he gets better soon. Cancer is just dreadful. I was hoping he would have looked better when I heard he was at the game. Godspeed Tito.

Isn't he already by far the best paid manager in the world? At least going by that chart we use to make fun of Allardyce.

Most definitely is Qin, by far too.

Jack cw

He earns around 12 million Euro I think, if we listen between the lines of what Hoeness is saying. That chart is mostly a tales from the ass story. After what Uli said, the offers from the british clubs had nearly double the wages of Bayerns bid.

Oh my, i have never seen that Trap video. poor Stranz getting called out like that.

That video made me sad because it reminds me that at the time Serie A was still king for transfers

I think Lippi or Jose is the best paid. If Pep is the best paid it is not by far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom