• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

football thread 13/14 |ot12| last roll of the dive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feorax

Big Sam thinks putting Andy Carroll in the squad tomorrow is a risk that might well be worth taking.

Christ almighty. Carroll is already dead...

sohois

Big Sam thinks putting Andy Carroll in the squad tomorrow is a risk that might well be worth taking.

Christ almighty. Carroll is already dead...

for him and his job prospects, not so much for West Ham. They can afford to lose another game, Allardyce can't so he has to take the risk

LTWheels

Rising runs pretty well on my ageing PC. It does not seem to be CPU heavy so if you have a decent graphics card you will get 60fps. When you going into blade mode and chop things into 100s of little pieces the framerate drops to 30, but it doesn't matter that this happens.

I'm enjoying it. Liking it's style. To me it sort of feels like Platinum's Ninja Gaiden. I've only played the first couple of levels but I do thing it is the weakest of Platinum's action games. It's not too surprising as I believe this game was made in a 'relatively short 'amount of time.

The camera is bad and I don't feel that the lock-on button works as intuitively as in DMC or Bayonetta. Quite often it locks into the wrong target. I think it priorities the most dangerous target, no matter where they are on the screen rather than the closest. I need to test it more. Also the soft-lock on doesn't seem to work as well as Ninja Gaiden or Bayonetta.

I'm not a big fan of how the weak attack acts as a distance closing move, 'leaping' you to the enemy (like from the Batman games), especially as it's also the parry button. A couple of times I've intended to parry but because the direction I have pressed is slightly off, I would instead leap to an enemy in that direction. And as dodge is light attack + jump I've had a couple of instances where it's only registered one of those buttons. I suppose as I get more use to the game and better at it this will be less of an issue.

Jack cw

mario gomez return got delayed again. he needs 3 more weeks.

I wonder why he recovers so badly. Same goes with Schweinsteiger. Its really weird, Gomez and Schweini were pretty invinceable but as soon as they had their first serious injuries they seem to be out for an eternity.

Blablurn

I wonder why he recovers so badly. Same goes with Schweinsteiger. Its really weird, Gomez and Schweini were pretty invinceable but as soon as they had their first serious injuries they seem to be out for an eternity.

Didnt Schweini play several games even though he was injured? His fault.

With Gomez...maybe Italian doctors just suck :D Can imagine they were too rushy with him.

Zabojnik

RIP flippedb. Bullshit permaban, but such is GAF.

But what are we going to do with all this money?

Cuadrado and...? *blank*

Knowing Marotta we'll plunder Serie A clubs. Cuadrado, Jorginho, Iturbe, D'Ambrosio, Berardi, maybe a cheeky bid for Pjanic, etc.

A lot of continental European posters have trouble with the ultra-PC nature of Gaf I've noticed.

With America's ultra-PC nature in general, I'd say.

They'll give him up at 45 mil. Verratti and Pogba will be in Paris then it'll be happily ever after.

No way Pogba goes for less than 60M€, if it'll come to that. We don't need to sell and even if we did, we'd sooner sell a couple of ~10M€ players, like Vucinic, Quags, Giovinco and so on.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

With Gomez...maybe Italian doctors just suck :D Can imagine they were too rushy with him.

Fiorentina's, yes.

It can be the manager's fault too, or rather his fitness team.

Elchele

Schweinsteiger has been playing "injured" for like two seasons now. I don't think he will be "injury free" ever again

Jack cw

Dont know about Gomez, but he needs to be back in form for World Cup, because we simply have no striker at all and Löw cant play a system with a false 9 as he doesnt even know what that is. Schweini is just in fear of losing his position to Thiago.

Of course we have those problems. Its not like we live in a country where money comes out the water tap. You see and that is whats wrong with this investor bullshit. German clubs cannot be bought and we regulate it with sponsoring. I know the league systems are different but that doesnt mean I need to like what some BPL teams are doing.

I don't like super rich investors coming in and thinking they can spend as they want. Arsenal don't do that so we have to look at other areas where we can gain an advantage and matchday revenue is one of them. In one of the richest and most expensive cities in the world our prices match.

I disagree on that. Why? Because tickets are cheap throughout the league, not just at Bayern. Even clubs without a lot of money have pretty low ticket prices. The few millions they could make more by having higher ticket prices are negligible.
That theory doesn't really hold up. Again, there's certainly clubs (e.g. Dortmund) that could make quite a bit more money by raising ticket prices and that could really use the money, yet they don't. Artificial pressure by having some clubs bring in investors is not the reason for higher ticket prices.

Maybe if Dortmund raised their ticket prices they would be able to compete with Bayern better. It was a good three year spell, but it is over now.

Arsenal want to be at the top. if we had ticket prices that were a quarter of what they were so they could be more "affordable"
hilarious because 60,000 every matchday somehow find it affordable
then Arsenal would be ruined. We would not have been able to pay our loan back and have a competitive squad.

Elchele

now its rode's time to shine

VOMIT.gif

Dont know about Gomez, but he needs to be back in form for World Cup, because we simply have no striker at all and Löw cant play a system with a false 9 as he doesnt even know what that is. Schweini is just in fear of losing his position to Thiago.

I think Klose scored another two at the weekend. he is still The Striker in football for me and he is doing it in the hardest league. Germany will be fine as long as he is around.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
gazjan10.png

gazjan10.png

gazjan10.png

Knowing Marotta we'll plunder Serie A clubs. Cuadrado, Jorginho, Iturbe, D'Ambrosio, Berardi, maybe a cheeky bid for Pjanic, etc.

We shouldn't sell him then. He's better than everyone you mentioned, combined.

except for Berardi, obviously.

Elchele

Maybe if Dortmund raised their ticket prices they would be able to compete with Bayern better. It was a good three year spell, but it is over now.

Arsenal want to be at the top. if we had ticket prices that were a quarter of what they were so they could be more "affordable"
hilarious because 60,000 every matchday somehow find it affordable
then Arsenal would be ruined. We would not have been able to pay our loan back and have a competitive squad.

It would be like inflation, always going up and up to try and reach some economic situation to compete with Bayern. In the end it would end up ruining Dortmund's fan culture.

Elchele

As long as there fans are happy with the second place finishes and the odd cup when Bayern can't be bothered, then good for them

:lol I guess you don't know where Dortmund were a few seasons ago, ending in second place and winning the cup wouldn't hurt them that much. Would already be better than what Arsenal has accomplished in many years while charging like 100€ for tickets.

:lol I guess you don't know where Dortmund were a few seasons ago, ending in second place and winning the cup wouldn't hurt them that much.

I know they were nearly finished, but as long as they are just happy with survival from now on then great. Which is a shame because they could continue to challenge Bayern for dominance.

I could never accept anything less then success at Arsenal.
#WENGEROUT

Yen

It would be like inflation, always going up and up to try and reach some economic situation to compete with Bayern. In the end it would end up ruining Dortmund's fan culture.

Who cares about fan culture and fans? It's all about the money, not clubs having 'soul'.

Elchele

I know they were nearly finished, but as long as they are just happy with survival from now on then great. Which is a shame because they could continue to challenge Bayern for dominance.

I could never accept anything less then success at Arsenal.
#WENGEROUT

Like Bayern's success is going to last that much, pls. Dortmund has been without like 6 of their starters this season, obviously they can't challenge us like that. But they won 5-2 against us in Super Cup this season already, we're not as good as we were last season.

Teams are just too afraid of attacking us, for whatever reason, it only takes them to realize they can hurt us to start scoring any amount of goals past us. See Dortmund, Man City.

Who cares about fan culture and fans? It's all about the money, not clubs having 'soul'.

Because Arsenal have no soul.

Like Bayern's success is going to last that much, pls. Dortmund has been without like 6 of their starters this season, obviously they can't challenge us like that. But they won 5-2 against us in Super Cup this season already, we're not as good as we were last season.

Teams are just too afraid of attacking us, for whatever reason, it only takes them to realize they can hurt us to start scoring any amount of goals past us. See Dortmund, Man City.

Bayern will always have suces simply because you somehow get everyone best players in Germany. Once Goetze left Dortmund german football was dead. How can people go on about fan culture when a fan of the club and product of the them since he was 8 decides to move to Bayern. I could understand if he wanted to win something, but he was with the current champions of Germany and in the CL final.

Baki

...And soon. Arsenal. Wenger pls.

Zabojnik

Okay, so I'm about to start MGSR and Dark Souls on PC. I want to use the DS3, as I absolutely loathe the 360 controller. I've used a MotionJoy + DS3 Tools combo (I think) in the past to make it work, but something felt a little off, I dunno. Any alternatives out there?

rvy

Banned
Okay, so I'm about to start MGSR and Dark Souls on PC. I want to use the DS3, as I absolutely loathe the 360 controller. I've used a MotionJoy + DS3 Tools combo (I think) in the past to make it work, but something felt a little off, I dunno. Any alternatives out there?

Which mode do you have it on? Xbox 360 emulator? You should use that.

£100 tickets have certainly made for a fervent atmosphere.

I hate when people comment like this. Every home game I have been to has seen great atmosphere. However, the design of the stadium is terrible and leeks out all the sound so the noise is not as impressive as it was compared to Highbury.

And as for fans getting frustrated at times, that is what happens when the man in charge doesn't spend the money we are happily willing to spend to watch them.

Elchele

Zabo pls,
DS4 >
360 controller > DS3.

Lambda, since you guys appear to be swindling us again, can you at least give me a scouting report for Rodrigo?

there's 2 Rodrigos:

Spain U-21 Rodrigo which is one of the best young strikers on the planet, who scored 15 goals in 16 appearences. legend.

Benfica's Rodrigo, still a goal scorer but clearly underperforming due to being third choice after Cardozo and Lima. still snagged us 20 goals in 50 something matches.

quick on the feet, can play alone upfront but his best with close support, sometimes lacks the snap to make quick decisions in front of the goal. good technique, the type of guy that massively improves as his confidences rises.

if you wanna him to start on the starting 11 and give him a chance, you'll get Spain U-21 Rodrigo, if you buying him to stick on the bench you'll get the Benfica version.

We already signed him last summer.

that's what i heard as well. what i heard was that apparently Moyes was the one who didn't want him there this season for reasons unknown, as Benfica was willing to ship him at the time.

Nothing is off, you will just suck at MGSR until the third chapter, then everything will start to click and the controller will feel right.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
written by a Viola fan

Stevan Jovetic: From Fiorentina’s top player to Manchester City’s invisible man

tumblr_inline_mz39u6GJpY1qbelx7.jpg

It was, fittingly, a bittersweet goodbye. A goal - his 40th for the club - and an assist in a thrashing of Pescara which ultimately served little purpose. A controversial Milan victory elsewhere meant Stevan Jovetic had narrowly failed in his mission to say farewell to Fiorentina by delivering a Champions League berth.

The season had been the chronicle of a departure long foretold. Only the intervention of owner Andrea Della Valle the previous summer seemed to prevent him quitting Tuscany 12 months earlier. He stayed to help rebuild a side which had, after all, stood by him during a season missed through serious injury. When he was sold, the club got its wish of getting both good money and avoiding his transfer to a Serie A rival. Little could either party have imagined how their respective stories would then unfold.

For Fiorentina, it has been business as usual. They currently sit fourth in Italy’s top flight - exactly where they were when their Montenegrin hero departed - and are through to the Europa League knockout stages. Prior to serious injury, Giuseppe Rossi had already surpassed Jojo’s league goal haul in his last campaign. Their passing play remains as sweet as that traditional Cremonese tooth-testing treat Torrone.

For Jovetic, however, things have turned distinctly more sour. Since signing for Manchester City he has rarely featured in the first team and, indeed, even his appearances on the bench have been sporadic. A wickedly humourous Twitter hashtag #WheresJovetic has produced some cruelly comical suggestions as to what might have become of a player once touted as a rising star of the European game.

Many supporters might reckon it serves him right. The want-away star forced to kick his heels after apparently agitating for a transfer for quite a time. Some fans seem to be able to turn their affections towards a player off and on like a tap. But I find his plight gives me more pangs of pain than pleasure.

Still fresh in my mind is the mop-top boy who stormed onto the Champions League stage as if it was his most natural arena. I can’t forget the dull Sunday afternoons when the team was struggling which were only brought to life by a flash of his skills. And then, of course, there was the anxious waiting and praying that he would overcome his latest injury to be able to make it onto the pitch each weekend. There was a spell when my only consolation in a grim season was that, at least, we still had Jojo.

That was always mingled, of course, with a clear understanding that he would not stay. The days of Giancarlo Antognoni or Gabriel Batistuta are long gone and Fiorentina followers know that their finest players will always be prey to bigger spending sides. In honesty, after all the overtures and inquiries, it was almost a relief when he actually penned a deal in the summer to move on. The vultures could move on to casting their eyes elsewhere.

Having watched pretty much every match Jojo played in purple, a few people canvassed my opinion on how he might fare in England. My assessment was that I thought he might take time to adapt but that he had the skills to take defences apart at any level of football. The only caveat, and how prescient this proved to be, was that he could keep clear of injury.

tumblr_inline_mz3a5xeUA21qbelx7.jpg

As it is, events have exceeded even my worst case scenario. A series of niggles and knocks have undoubtedly had their impact but he seems to have entirely failed to convince Manuel Pellegrini as to his ability to perform. His league involvement in his first six months does not even add up to a full 90 minutes as the season reaches its halfway point. His crowning glory, to date, has been a couple of goals in a 5-0 League Cup trouncing of Wigan. He has disappeared so far off the football radar as to be almost invisible.

Fitness has clearly been an issue, as it has often been, but even with Sergio Aguero out for a lengthy spell his proximity to the first team has not improved. The competition of the likes of Edin Dzeko, Alvaro Negredo, Jesus Navas, David Silva and Samir Nasri has kept the door firmly closed. The latest injury update suggested Jojo would be back “some time” in January - but no timetable has been set for his return.

The trouble, of course, is that the team is doing just fine without him. There was always a school of thought in Florence that he had a lower pain threshold than most and would not play through knocks as others might have done. This was denied on regular occasions by the club but it is hard not to see his problems at Manchester City as an extension of this. But where Fiorentina desperately needed to press him into action, the Eastlands club really have no such urgency.

Rumours of a move back to Italy, and specifically Fiorentina, have been dismissed as “science fiction”. In Manchester, on the surface at least, they are preaching patience on an investment which currently works out at about £250,000 per league minute played. They are lucky to have the financial backing to enable them to support such a costly purchase and are able to give him the time he needs to turn things around. Whether or not he is able to do so, however, remains to be seen.

In the meantime, the sense of frustration or comedy value grows. One of the most exciting individuals in Serie A in recent years has been no more than a peripheral player in the English game. There is time, of course, for him to turn things around and still make the move a success. But, as the weeks go by, the danger is that he will be best remembered for a string of doctored images with his head on other people’s bodies than any achievements on the football field.

tumblr_inline_mz3ac6Uo4F1qbelx7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom