• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

football thread 13/14 |ot12| last roll of the dive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

We actually announced a new commercial deal.

January 10, 2014--
(NYSE:MANU) Manchester United Football Club has today announced a multi-season sponsorship agreement with international spirits brand Aperol, to become the Club's Official Global Spirits Partner.

The deal, which runs until the end of the 2016/2017 season, will see Aperol branding visible during all domestic games at Old Trafford, as well official Club publications, MUTV and the official website. The partnership will also see the signature drink, Aperol Spritz available in the stadium's hospitality areas.

A celebration message of 'Cheers, United!' represents an exciting phase as Aperol develops its brand across the globe, extending into new markets developing outside its traditional Italian roots.

Manchester United's Group Managing Director, Richard Arnold, said: "We are delighted to welcome Aperol as Manchester United's new Global Sprits Partner. Like Manchester United, Aperol is an ambitious organisation and we have been impressed by their innovative approach to developing the brand on an international stage.

"Manchester United has 659 million followers across the world and this partnership will be another platform to bring the Club closer to these fans. Aperol is a fitting partner to help the Club and its supporters to celebrate our achievements and we look forward to sharing many successes together in the coming years."

Bob Kunze-Concewitz, Chief Executive Officer, Gruppo Campari, commented on the partnership, saying: "We're delighted to announce Aperol as the new way to celebrate the joy and the passion for Manchester United.

"With the club widely recognised as the most supported in the world, this is a partnership that will deliver brand exposure on a massive scale, helping to provide Aperol, and its signature drink Aperol Spritz, with excellent levels of year-round brand exposure, consumer engagement and promotional opportunities in developed and new global markets.

"Aperol is a brand that embodies success, celebration and sociability. The natural fit between the two brands makes the partnership one that will benefit both parties."

Christ alive. Sign players.

That's a ridiculous fee for a player like him.

Not really he is a fantastic talent. I think his style of play ain't really suited to this Chelsea team and he needed a bit of time to adapt to the speed of the premier league. Last season he did really well at Werder Bremen scoring goals and winning Bundesliga young player of the year and he was one of Belgiums best players in their world cup qualification games.

Jack cw

That's a ridiculous fee for a player like him.
It definately is. But his performace was really good here in germany and Mou obviously isnt planing with him. And i cant think of any other player in his age and his position thats chaeaper. But yes, its pretty amazing that his price is equal to Thiagos.

Feorax

We hoover up sponsors all the time, though.

It's just stunningly poor timing.

Yeah, I don't see any reason why it couldn't have waited a couple of weeks. Then again, if no signings come in and then that gets announced at the beginning of Feb, that's even worse...

End of this window will probably be crazy. Looks like it will be quiet for a little while longer yet though.

Looks like Spurs have officially confirmed Defoe is off to the MLS at the end of Feb.

I guess if Sherwood wants to play 4-4-2 Spurs will be looking to buy another striker. Otherwise it will be a lot of hard work playing all those games in the league and Europa with only 3 recognised strikers. Especially the 3 Spurs have

Adebayor: You never know when he is going to start playing shit again
Soldado: You never know if he will ever start playing well again
Kane: I don't know if he has ever played well before

Feorax

I guess if Sherwood wants to play 4-4-2 Spurs will be looking to buy another striker. Otherwise it will be a lot of hard work playing all those games in the league and Europa with only 3 recognised strikers. Especially the 3 Spurs have

Adebayor: You never know when he is going to start playing shit again
Soldado: You never know if he will ever start playing well again
Kane: I don't know if he has ever played well before

Even when Ade is playing well, it's normally just because he's looking for a move.

Suspect more likely is that Sherwood will have to move to just 1 up top, or just write off the Europa League (which would be a shame considering how well Spurs have done there so far).

That theory doesn't really hold up. Again, there's certainly clubs (e.g. Dortmund) that could make quite a bit more money by raising ticket prices and that could really use the money, yet they don't. Artificial pressure by having some clubs bring in investors is not the reason for higher ticket prices.

Quite a bit more doesn't sound like a lot. Watzke already said, if we got rid of the Südtribüne and make it all seated, we would earn a lot more every season.

But that would obviously destroy the heart of the club.

If de Bruyne really joins Wolfsburg, they've almost net spent €40m this season. If VW was serious, even Bayern couldn't keep up financially. Won't happen, though.

Jack cw

If de Bruyne really joins Wolfsburg, they've almost net spent €40m this season. If VW was serious, even Bayern couldn't keep up financially. Won't happen, though.

After what happened with VWs management I seriously doubt that they do another reckless throw money out of the window shit again. They do it slowly and I expect them to be able to compete with bayern and Dortmund in the next 3 years, with a better coach and younger, more talented squad.

bjaelke

Yohan Cabaye may quit Newcastle for as little as £6million in the summer - and the Geordies are taking a big financial risk by keeping him for the remainder of the season.

France international Cabaye could be entitled to buy out the last two years of his five-year contract under FIFA's Webster Rule - so the Magpies might miss out of the £20million-plus they value him at unless they sell in this window.

Cabaye has a £60,000 a week deal which runs until June 2016 but, Article 17 of FIFA's transfer rules say the midfielder (and other players in his situation who were under 28 when they signed) can cancel the contract "without just cause", pay his employers the remaining value of his deal and move elsewhere on a free.

Newcastle benefited from the Webster Rule when they signed Jonas Gutierrez on the cheap from Spanish side Mallorca in 2008.
Now wouldn't that be hilarious.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
We have reached agreement with Toronto FC for the transfer of Jermain Defoe to the MLS side, with effect from February 28, 2014.

The 31 year-old striker first joined in February 2004 from West Ham, making 177 appearances and scoring 64 goals before leaving to join Portsmouth in January 2008. The England international was re-signed a year later and has since made 185 appearances, scoring 78 goals.

"Everybody knows how much this Club means to me and I will play my heart out for the team and the fans until my last kick for the Club. I have had a fantastic time here and the fans have always been amazing to me," said Jermain.

"I am grateful for the opportunity for myself and my family to experience living overseas and for me to play in the MLS with a contract that will take me to the age of 35. I have no doubt I shall be coming back as a fan supporting the team in the years to come too."

Head Coach Tim Sherwood added: "This is a great opportunity for Jermain and he feels it is one that he wishes to pursue. He has played a big part in the Club for many years and we all know he will give his best until his last minute in a Spurs shirt.

"We have several attacking options within our squad for the remaining dozen or so games of the season after Jermain departs and we shall keep our options under review. We also have a goal threat from players in other areas of the pitch including having wide players and attacking midfielders who will enable us to vary our shape when required."

Everybody at the Club wishes Jermain every success for the future and he will always be welcome at the Lane.

The right time to move him on IMO. Just not a threat in the PL anymore, he's become injury prone and with Ade back he is never going to start games. Hopefully we get an adequate replacement.

Manager

Sky Sports News ‏@SkySportsNews 2m
Luis Suarez wins Premier League Player of the Month #SSN

Manuel Pellegrini wins Premier League Manager of the Month #SSN

Well deserved, both of them. Pellegrini had 8 wins and 1 draw.

BdnDPawCQAAdnn8.jpg:large

LegoArmo

When people say this, I assume they must be racists. So, Romanians, eh?

Not particularly any form of "ist", just rather blunt and matter of fact. Nothing you wouldn't hear in your average social group in the UK.

But yes, damn Romanians.

Luis Suarez wins Premier League Player of the Month #SSN

Manuel Pellegrini wins Premier League Manager of the Month #SSN

Well deserved, both of them. Pellegrini had 8 wins and 1 draw.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BdnDPawCQAAdnn8.jpg:large

Moyes was robbed.

After what happened with VWs management I seriously doubt that they do another reckless throw money out of the window shit again. They do it slowly and I expect them to be able to compete with bayern and Dortmund in the next 3 years, with a better coach and younger, more talented squad.

The VW guys are also heavily involved in Bayern. They just have no interest in making Wolfsburg a serious Bayern rival. They will have some interest in making it harder for us, though, as it doesn't fuck with Bayern's position and improves it instead.

Jack cw

The VW guys are also heavily involved in Bayern. They just have no interest in making Wolfsburg a serious Bayern rival. They will have some interest in making it harder for us, though, as it doesn't fuck with Bayern's position and improves it instead.

Yeah, I also think some press guys are way overrating Wolfsburg and VWs influence but in the end, even if they open all the wallets, the best they could hope for is something like Monaco where they buy the second tier class of good players and would still be outclassed by Dortmund and Bayern.

Jack cw

Chelsea and even Manchester City achieved quite some success though, so if VW stay around long enough they could achieve a lot.
I think its out of the question that VW would invest 1 billion in Wolfsburgs squad just to win 1 league title and a lucky CL win. The VW board is under observation after the hilarious manager wages they used to pay. I think Wolfsburg wants to get ahead of Schalke to be the 3rd in line after Bayern and Dortmund.
Trying to get a job as dopeiola's assistant.

Haha, that would be actually great :D

Razor554

@BarcaStat: Barcelona goals vs Atletico Madrid (current squad) #fcblive
- Messi 20
- Alves 2
- Xavi, Iniesta, Adriano, Busquets, Alexis, Neymar 1

time to get bent Atlético

the beast has returned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom