• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

football thread 13/14 |ot12| last roll of the dive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

Oh wow.

We're talking about signings now? You can't have signings without deciding where you'll play them and how the team will set out. Expect United Bro formations in the morning.

Oh wow.

We're talking about signings now? You can't have signings without deciding where you'll play them and how the team will set out. Expect United Bro formations in the morning.

---------------de Gea
Rafael - Jones - Evans - New lb
----Carrick -- New midfielder---
Januzaj -- Kagawa -- New winger
----------------RVP

No clue who those new guys will be.

tumblr_mzbunreSDn1r7jzw9o1_1280.png

On the Arsenal side of things we've already laid out the plan for the future when we signed those 5 British players on long term deals. Key signings to be made are for our left wing, which can be filled by Draxler, striker this one we'll have to be more cautious with and I really have no idea who to sign here but they have to be able to counterattack at speed like Henry could. CB to complement and eventually take over from Per someone like Zouma. We'll also need a CM as Arteta's isn't getting any younger, I'm thinking Lars Bender here. This can be done over 3 seasons. We will probably lose Walcott in this period as I don't see us offering him over 100k. We'll also need to add a new RB and if Coleman at Everton continues his form, it might just be him.

I am proposing you to be our director of football.

RB i would love De Sciglio. Can play as RB or LB and is great going forward and defending. I see him having the potential to be the best in the world for a decade.

However, all this is forgetting one important thing. Wenger hasn't signed a new contract. Most of this thread knows my opinion on that, but who knows if we get a new manager who uses a completely different system.

If we don't win anything this season then he just has to go. He bought his dream player and has constantly gone on about this squad being good enough.

If you keep saying that the squad is strong and has the ability to win trophies, then the problem clearly comes down to the manager not being good enough.

We might be sending Luis Neto to Benfica as part of the deal to buy Rodrigo and Garay.

Thank you based Gapzrom. Lambda, you're going to love Neto ;)

K1LLER7

I can't wait to see what Chelsea are going to do to Januzaj.
Moyes might go for Kagawa instead, but I want him to give Januzaj the chance against a top team. Will be a good test for him. He plays with no fear, trys to take players on and still makes little mistakes at times. I think Mou will get his players to double up on him. Hopefully we get Rooney back for the game which will be a massive boost.

Lightning

Banned
Moyes might go for Kagawa instead, but I want him to give Januzaj the chance against a top team. Will be a good test for him. He plays with no fear, trys to take players on and still makes little mistakes at times. I think Mou will get his players to double up on him. Hopefully we get Rooney back for the game which will be a massive boost.
I hope you do too. Janujaz will do well against United I feel, with the game at Stamford Bridge Chelsea will likely attack a bit more opening up space for Januzaj to exploit. I am not sure a draw helps Chelsea a whole lot in this match, they need to win it which gives United the opportunity to win it too.

Rooney needs ti be back and for the rest of the team to fire, especially defensively.

sohois

Trying to theorize how the top BPL teams can improve in the next couple of seasons. I'm bored

I'll need to think on Liverpool, as they need imo the most work and have the least resources (ability to attract players + money). So their signings are a lot more difficult to make.

I'll indulge you, seeing as how I often wile away my time contemplating future transfers and possible team building, so I already have some ideas in mind.

Obviously as Morsel said you are harshly underestimating Liverpool there, not to mention that when Liverpool get the Champions League the resource issue will be moot.

Liverpool's situation is complicated by a glut of young players 20-21 who have first team experience but haven't broken through or fully staked their claim. The likes of Flanagan, Kelly, Ilori, Alberto, Suso, Robinson, Wisdom & Ibe all could be squad or first team players, but they all might need more time or not ever be good enough. So it's a delicate balancing act between doing a Chelsea and wasting money on new players only for the youth lads to be capable, or doing an Arsenal(of past years) and not bringing in needed replacements and having a team of fragile, not quite good enough youngsters.

Fullbacks is the main issue in the summer. Even if Johnson is playing well his wages and age would see him shipped out, Cissokho won't be signed at LB. At RB there are 3 possible options with Kelly, Flanagan and Wisdom, but you only really want 2 RBs. I personally presume PL loans for Flanagan and Wisdom, with Kelly and a new RB. Then reevaluate next season. LB has a similar issue. You could not make any signings and try Robinson + Enrique, could loan Robinson for one more season and have New LB + Enrique or sell Enrique and have new LB + Robinson. I myself would go for the second option. I can't really speculate on possible signings at Fullback, don't really have many players in mind.

CM is another area. Will Hughes will almost certainly be signed as the long term Gerrard replacement. It just leaves the Lucas backup/competition. Take a risk in January on M'vila or someone like that or Wait until summer when a world class player can be signed in that position.

Liverpool have 6 first teamers for 3 attacking positions plus 3 more on loan who could play a part. Add in another signing like Salah and that's too many really, but having more depth is also important. This is getting a little long now so I'll just leave it at that.

FootballFan

He, Januzaj, also dives the most, has the most punchable face in the league and picks fights like a little terrier in a pack of Labradors. Annoying little shit cunt lol

Januzaj is the man.

-Neymar--Messi--Alexis-
--Januzaj-Gnarby-Mata-
------Octopus-Vidal-------
-Alba-----------------Alves--
-------------De Gea-----------

Can't wait.

Lightning

Banned
Januzaj is the man.

-Neymar--Messi--Alexis-
--Januzaj-Gnarby-Mata-
------Octopus-Vidal-------
-Alba-----------------Alves--
-------------De Gea-----------

Can't wait.
Januzaj or Gnabry are no where near Iniesta or Fabregas level. Would think Barcelona would be right in for Gundogan though as he will fit right in.

FootballFan

Is anyone here interested in the definitive version of Tomb Raider on the PS4/Xbox One? I hope not. Graphical update for full price. lol

loooool

HD HD UPGRADE.

I am just waiting for mgs collection to be announced. HD HD Collection of the HD Collection.

Meier

City are participating in a tournament in Qatar for U-16s. Brahim and the next Ibra (Zackarais Faour) are going to play which is exciting -- City hadn't acknowledged them on the site or anything so it's good to know they're officially in our academy now. In looking at the Madrid squad, I noticed that Zidane's kid (Luca) is their GK.

I went down the wiki rabbit hole and see his older son is around the 4th level or so of their academy but it mentioned he became good friends with a player named Juan José who was promoted from Juvenil A to Madrid C and now to Madrid B (Castilla) in 2013. He scored 4 goals in a UEFA Youth League game versus Juventus this season (the one Madrid won 6-2). He's Colombian so they're calling him the next Falcao.

FootballFan

Truly the twin brother of Real.

This is only for your own good. I don't want your feelings to get hurt when you see Song and Afellay telling the press that Januzaj was born to play for Barca.

Are you sure you want Arsenal players? How's Song working out for you? Nice 15m investment. Hehehehehehehe Rosell.

He has actually played quite a lot and been above average under Tata.

Of course he is no Busquets, but that was never going to be the case.

Lightning

Banned
He has actually played quite a lot and been above average under Tata.

Of course he is no Busquets, but that was never going to be the case.
If Song is above average then either Barca's standards are dropping or you're missing something. Song was horrendous when Ajax beat Barcelona. You must be playing him only against teams where he can't embarrass himself?

BigBoss

If Song is above average then either Barca's standards are dropping or you're missing something. Song was horrendous when Ajax beat Barcelona. You must be playing him only against teams where he can't embarrass himself?

Song has been fine, he was brought in to replace Keita and hes performed just as well.

Salazar

This is only for your own good. I don't want your feelings to get hurt when you see Song and Afellay telling the press that Januzaj was born to play for Barca.

cbdeCAh.gif

I can't imagine any scenario in which anybody would give a fuck what Song or Affelay said.

Affelay could be holding a gun to my head and I would still be meh.

arkon

Halp

I had a student ask me a question and I'm stumped as to why I've come up with his answer.

They gave me three sentences

1) I go to school in a coat that matches my uniform

2) The coat matches the sweater

3) A sweater is easy to match other clothes.

The first two are fine but sentence 3 sounds incorrect to me without "with" after "match", as in "A sweater is easy to match with other clothes".

My problem is: why does it require "with" while the other two do not? The best explanation I could come up with is that in the first two examples, the sweater is the actor in the action of matching, however "easy to" in the third sentence indicates that a third party is acting out the action of matching two items, and that's what the difference is. Since a sweater is inanimate and incapable of differentiating between something being easy or difficult to do, it requires someone to do the action.

My problem is that I can't come up with a clear explanation of why this third party being present means I have to add "with", and it's making me doubt that line of thinking entirely. I'm sure there's a clear rule about this that I'm missing. But I'll be damned if I can figure it out.

Not sure if I'm getting the terminology right but what the hell

I think it's because you're using the infinitive to modify the adjective easy in the final sentence and you can't remove with if you're using the infinitive to match two explicit objects(?). That sentence could be rewritten as a sweater easily matches other clothes. If you switch up the second sentence to include easy: the coat is easy to match with the sweater. Removing with wouldn't work there either.

Possibly?

GorillaJu

Not sure if I'm getting the terminology right but what the hell

I think it's because you're using the infinitive to modify the adjective easy in the final sentence and you can't remove with if you're using the infinitive(?). That sentence could be rewritten as a sweater easily matches other clothes. If you switch up the second sentence to include easy: the coat is easy to match with the sweater. Removing with wouldn't work there either.

Possibly?

Thanks, I really appreciate the input. The infinitive angle is one I thought of but the major issue is that I just can't come up with another example that follows this pattern.

GQman2121

Banned
Is anyone here interested in the definitive version of Tomb Raider on the PS4/Xbox One? I hope not. Graphical update for full price. lol

Third worst game I played for the entire generation. You couldn't pay me $60 to trudge through that carp again.

Decent visuals is the only positive thing I can say. Everything else was mediocre (gameplay) or bad (characters, storytelling, voice acting).

I thought we were pretty poor last night. Outside those two goals, we didn't create anything. 30 mins into the match and we were still passing sideways. No wonder. The movement in the final third was nonexistent.

Ozil slows down our play, that much is obvious. He is too lacklustre in his play and I would welcome the suggestion that he be dropped until he starts to actually put effort in. His ball retention, for example, is shite; how many times has he given the ball away from half-arsed pass?

Giroud: still not convinced. He misses too many chances that you would expect any decent striker to put away.

Lightning

Banned
I thought we were pretty poor last night. Outside those two goals, we didn't create anything. 30 mins into the match and we were still passing sideways. No wonder. The movement in the final third was nonexistent.

Ozil slows down our play, that much is obvious. He is too lacklustre in his play and I would welcome the suggestion that he be dropped until he starts to actually put effort in. His ball retention, for example, is shite; how many times has he given the ball away from half-arsed pass?

Giroud: still not convinced. He misses too many chances that you would expect any decent striker to put away.
When Özil doesn't play we create fuck all, see Cardiff and Newcastle games, but Özil seems to be the blame man at the moment. He didn't have his greatest game but I don't think you can simply say he's half assed but everything he does wrong gets magnified. Your post is an example, Cazorla was shit today, his shit pass cost us the goal, yet you don't mention that and go straight for Özil.

The most impressive thing about this team is the spirit and fight.

Since the Chelsea game, where in previous seasons I'm sure we would have lost that game, we beat West Ham after going behind, beat Newcastle away and being under siege late on, kept fighting against Cardiff to eventually win, knock Spurs out of the FA cup playing excellently when we needed it, and now beaten Villa away. Most other seasons we would've been lucky to get 2 or 3 of those results. With the amount of injuries we've had to deal with we have a phenomenal record against the bottom 12 clubs and thats where we get majority of our points.

Villa are a physical team. We dont like physical teams and generally struggle when playing against them.

The Man Utd - Juve rumours are hilarious.

If Juve were willing to sell Pogba and Vidal then you know for a fact thwy would be calling Man City, PSG and RM.

Utd have 0 chance of signing them two. Pogba loves the club and claims to have always been a fan and Vidal is happy there too.

Marchisio is the only realistic option price wise and his devotion to the has never been in doubt

Sounds legit.

Bla :(
Looks like Berlusca is pushing for Seedorf over Inzaghi. There's also a rumor going around that the players don't want Seedorf as manager. Interesting couple of months ahead for Milan.
Seedorf to Milan is done, he'll be in Italy in two days. I don't think he'll be as spineless as Allegri, so whoever doesn't want him because of that better get used to it. I don't want him mostly because it's his first *real* time as a manager for an important team, I think he's too inexperienced and he might fuck everything up in a month. Or he can become the next big thing and save Milan.
In any case, Berlusconi had to sack Allegri, it was already too late two months ago.

Bla :(

Seedorf to Milan is done, he'll be in Italy in two days. I don't think he'll be as spineless as Allegri, so whoever doesn't want him because of that better get used to it. I don't want him mostly because it's his first *real* time as a manager for an important team, I think he's too inexperienced and he might fuck everything up in a month. Or he can become the next big thing and save Milan.
In any case, Berlusconi had to sack Allegri, it was already too late two months ago.

What's there realistically to fuck up though? The team is in 11th. Not like he could get you relegated even if he tried. The season is a write-off already.

dc89

Messi: "The tie with Manchester City will be a good one. Two great teams will face each other, and I hope we can qualify."

Txiki pls.

Nyx

Utrecht has an ex-Barcelona player on trial, 20 year old midfielder Fernando Quesada.

n_f_c_barcelona_fernando_quesada_gallardo-5382685.jpg

If ex-Barca players go on trial at Utrecht you know they must be shit lol.

Jack cw

Messi: "The tie with Manchester City will be a good one. Two great teams will face each other, and I hope we can qualify."

Txiki pls.

This will be a closer match than many think but in the end I think Barca will make it, maybe UEFA helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom