• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

football thread 13/14 |ot12| last roll of the dive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to think that Seedorf will be the best manager ever and that he'll make us win a CL this year and the next five or six.

At least until Sunday. That's like five days. Then things will be back to the usual crap.

Why :(

AC alone means "Associazione Calcio", which is literally "Football Association" (or club, perhaps in English that's a bit better). It's like calling Juventus "FC", it doesn't really make any sense. The two teams from Milan (the city) are simply called Milan and Inter (or Internazionale, which is more formal. Merda is accepted too), nothing else.

At first I though of air conditioning goddamnit
KuGsj.gif

Haha sorry, they are basically just known as AC where I'm from! I shall make an effort to change my ways :p

Meier

For the hell of it, here are the Mail's predictions for the final standings at the end of the season:

Final table (top seven)

1st Man City..........87pts

City's formidable home form proves the difference as they reclaim the title and Manuel Pellegrini celebrates his first season with the championship crown. They see out the season with a perfect home record, Chelsea the only one of their top-seven rivals still to visit the Etihad. Back-to-back away losses at Arsenal and Liverpool trigger fears of a late stutter, but they recover to confirm their title with a final-day victory over West Ham.

2nd Chelsea.........85pts

The Chelsea of old under Jose Mourinho shines through as the season draws to its close and they finish the campaign just two points shy of the champions. February's defeat at the Etihad proves costly, as does a late-season reverse at Liverpool, but they still take the race to the wire.

3rd Liverpool........82pts

The return of Daniel Sturridge, allied to Luis Suarez's unrelenting brilliance, sees the Reds win the next six, including victory in the Merseyside derby. A string of away draws curtails their title challenge but still they finish just five points adrift of the winners and claim third position ahead of Arsenal.

4th Arsenal...........81pts

With their squad stretched as the season gathers pace and European football returns, the Gunners' title aspirations fade. They do enjoy a home victory over Man City and are beaten just twice - at Liverpool and Stoke - between now and the end of the season, but Arsene Wenger's wait for a fourth title is extended to at least 11 years.

5th Spurs..............70pts

The top four prove too strong for the other challengers and crucial defeats against rivals Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool do for their Champions League ambitions. Still, though, Tim Sherwood's boys do enough to hold off Man Utd and Everton to take fifth position and Europa League qualification - they're sure to be thrilled with that...

6th Man Utd..........68pts

Inconsistency continues to plague United's title defence and the now customary defeat by their city adversaries sparks yet more talk of crisis for David Moyes. They do win the last three to take sixth position ahead of Everton, but will that be enough to earn Moyes another season at Old Trafford?

7th Everton...........66pts

Draws prove the Toffees' undoing as their failure to turn one point into three sees their Champions League hopes slip away. It's still a respectable return for Roberto Martinez in his first season at Goodison Park, although they are pipped to sixth by former boss Moyes.

omgkitty

Good piece from StatsBomb on Arsenal's forward targets: http://www.statsbomb.com/2014/01/midseason-transfer-shopping-arsenal/

Covers Draxler, Griezmann, Lacazette, and Aboubakar. Worth reading for the comparison between Draxler playing on the left and in the middle.

Thanks for this. Love it when people go in depth with stats instead of just looking at the big picture. Kinda makes me wonder about Draxler if he's best through the middle. I could see him being converted into a striker, but always figured he'd play better on the left since we're so short there and Ozil pretty much has the middle locked down for Arsenal. Also didn't realize Griezmann was that good. If I was Arsene, I'd just buy all 3 (including Lacazette) and call it a day. Should probably pick up Kurt Zouma while we're at it too.

Zabojnik

All Milan need to be a top 3(-ish) side is a great manager and a couple of quality CBs. I think people underestimate how low an average, uninspired and demotivated manager like Allegri can bring the club.

Wes

venison crêpe
Villa fans already have a chant worked out for our likely new loan signing:
Grant Holt wherever you may be,
Greggs, Maccy D's or the KFC,
If you keep us up with assists or goals,
We'll pay your wages in sausage rolls.

They only bought him for 3M. 23M is good money even if they did want more

It's not about how much you bought him, it's about how much you value him. 26 million euros is good money, and Benfica needs it. Unfortunately it's also Benfica's best player, and someone I would rather see play till the end of the season here because I like watching good players in Portugal, as they are a dying breed.

I'm guessing for Chelsea this means Mata will be sold, and they will use the money for a striker? Because they need a better striker.

Fry

For the hell of it, here are the Mail's predictions for the final standings at the end of the season:

That would be good because of Liverpool, but not seeing Arsenal behind Chelsea. I want Arsenal to win the title if Liverpool can't, and if Arsenal can't, I wouldn't mind City.

Randdalf

Villa fans already have a chant worked out for our likely new loan signing:

Excellent.

One of my favourite ones, in a similar vein, is Portsmouth fans during the FA Cup tie a few years ago when Torres was at the peak of his ineffectiveness:

We'll take him on loan,
We'll take him on loan--,
Fernando Torres,
We'll take him on loan,

He'll sit on the bench,
He'll sit on the bench--,
Fernando Torres,
He'll sit on the bench

Vidal and Pogba to United.

JQpldPU.jpg

Bless their simple journo minds for thinking these things up.

Stop making fun of us. We know we aren't going to buy any midfielders ok.

Ramos is one of the biggest frauds around. Right up there with Xavi and Iniesta for those awards. Vidal was robbed.

Apparently Rafael's agent said his player may leave United in the Summer.

The hits just keep coming.

Won't happen. He's been with the club since he was 14. Then again, he might hold a grudge against Moyes for treating his brother like trash.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I like to think that Seedorf will be the best manager ever and that he'll make us win a CL this year and the next five or six.

At least until Sunday. That's like five days. Then things will be back to the usual crap.

Why :(

AC alone means "Associazione Calcio", which is literally "Football Association" (or club, perhaps in English that's a bit better). It's like calling Juventus "FC", it doesn't really make any sense. The two teams from Milan (the city) are simply called Milan and Inter (or Internazionale, which is more formal. Merda is accepted too), nothing else.

At first I though of air conditioning goddamnit
KuGsj.gif

Fady's best tweet ever "Omg I thought Merda was Inter's nickname all these years! Naughty Yurt!"

Juventus FC stands for Juventus Fucking Cunts btw

Ashes

Banned
Chelsea won't sell Mata to us, so we might inadvertedly be helping Mata if we buy a big name central midfielder for £50m. No. Not pogba, but anybody we do buy can give funds to said team to buy Mata.
Ere go Real Madrid should sell us the little maestro and get Mata!
Heck juventus should sell us Vidal and get Mata.

rvy

Banned
Ian McGarry @garbosj
Chelsea expect Nemanja Matic to complete a medical tomorrow morning. A fee of €24m has been agreed. Lampard to be fit for #MUFC. #CFC

That peanuts for Roman's petrol. I want more money or Ramires back.

Give us back Ramires.

Give him back u petrol cunts.

Fucking Qatar(where we're having our training) refused to give one of our new signings a visa because he's been to Israel recently. Joke of a country.

Meier

Barca have just disclosed that they paid $55 million to Neymar's parents. That is fucking dodgy.

This is the main reason they're going to end up having to pay a shitload more once it goes to court. The third party investors in Neymar didn't get a cut of the transfer fee paid to Neymar's dad. They only got a part of the fee that was paid to Santos. They feel they're due their cut on the entire transfer, not just a portion of it and they're of course absolutely right.

Meier

A Korean kid for Barca, Seungwoo Lee, just scored so it's now 2-1. I was surprised to see his name when looking at the roster prior to the tournament. I guess he's of course dubbed the Korean Messi.

Ha! They just scored again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom