• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

football thread 13/14 |ot12| last roll of the dive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Suso didn't do too well today. He's been struggling since he and the manager clashed.

He said on twitter that there was no problem when he was dropped the first time, but something has clearly gone on and thrown a massive spanner in the works

I'd leave him there to teach him that there's a price to pay for unprofessionalism, assuming that it's his fault

Firmino uploaded a photo to his instagram account and well... you better check it by yourself

iIlSmkaEjmREb.gif

and Rafa is doing fine without him anyway ;) 42 points is a club record, isn't it? And only two points behind a record breaking Roma.
So many records, and yet your bianconeri are still running away with it. We also set a record of getting 12 points while failing to make the CL knockouts.

"Fine" has seen us fall 10 points behind for the scudetto and drop into Europa. I'm torn between the fact that we're having such a good season historically for the club, while ultimately still being so disappointing. I want everything, and I want it now! /s

Zabojnik

So many records, and yet your bianconeri are still running away with it. We also set a record of getting 12 points while failing to make the CL knockouts.

"Fine" has seen us fall 10 points behind for the scudetto and drop into Europa. I'm torn between the fact that we're having such a good season historically for the club, while ultimately still being so disappointing. I want everything, and I want it now! /s

Luckily for you, that seems to be how De Laurentiis feels too. As long as Napoli keep up the good business of these past few years, they're bound to win something important. Maybe as soon as next year, when Juve will concentrate exclusively on CL.
LOOOOL, who am I kidding. Fucking scudetto curse.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

I guess you could say that we are all pushing each other.

cor11.jpg

Luckily for you, that seems to be how De Laurentiis feels too. As long as Napoli keep up the good business of these past few years, they're bound to win something important. Maybe as soon as next year, when Juve will concentrate exclusively on CL.
LOOOOL, who am I kidding. Fucking scudetto curse.

let's focus exclusively on Coppa Italia please.

Just one title for the love of god

Danchi

He'd do well for a mid table team, but compare him to Suarez, Aguero, Rooney, Negredo, RVP, Sturridge, Crouch, I would choose all of them over him

I actually think Giroud is kinda underrated (in the sense that he's better than "shit" but still probably not as good as I'll make him out to be here). His hold-up play is genuinely really, really good. He can control lobbed passes and win knock-down headers as good as anyone in the league, and his close control and short-passing is far better than, say, an Andy Carroll who might excel at the former quality.

I definitely agree with Wenger that a target man like him up front is better in the long run. I think he creates opportunities that don't necessarily translate to the type people can look up on Wikipedia (i.e a knock-down to Ozil who plays in Walcott won't get him an assist, but it was just as important a contribution). The type of play that you have to watch whole games of to really appreciate while not really lending itself well to MotD highlights.

I think it might have been Shanks who said he's more of an instinctive finisher. I'd agree with that. I'm certainly not confident when he's running in one-on-one with the keeper, but then Arsenal aren't really a counter-attacking team so I don't think that should hurt him too much (i.e teams tend to sick back when they play Arsenal so they often have a lot of time to build up play around the box. Most of the chances they create will be from crosses from the right side or quick, one-touch play between the three attacking midfielders that will end with Giroud having to only apply a one or two-touch finish). I agree he hasn't been at his best in the last month or so though.

He's also mighty handsome.

Salvadora

I actually think Giroud is kinda underrated (in the sense that he's better than "shit" but still probably not as good as I'll make him out to be here). His hold-up play is genuinely really, really good. He can control lobbed passes and win knock down headers as good as anyone in the league, and his close control and short-passing is far better than, say, an Andy Carroll who might excel at the former quality.

I definitely agree with Wenger that a target man like him up front is better in the long run. I think he creates opportunities that doesn't necessarily translate to the type people can look up on Wikipedia (i.e a knock-down to Ozil who plays in Walcott won't get him an assist, but, for me, it was just as important as Ozil's contribution). The type of play that you have to watch whole games to really notice and doesn't really lend itself to highlights.

I think it might have been Shanks who said he's more of an instinctive finisher. I'd agree with that. I'm certainly not confident when he's running in one-on-one with the keeper.

He's mighty handsome though.
This is a very good post

You an Arsenal bro?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I actually think Giroud is kinda underrated (in the sense that he's better than "shit" but still probably not as good as I'll make him out to be here). His hold-up play is genuinely really, really good. He can control lobbed passes and win knock down headers as good as anyone in the league, and his close control and short-passing is far better than, say, an Andy Carroll who might excel at the former quality.

I definitely agree with Wenger that a target man like him up front is better in the long run. I think he creates opportunities that doesn't necessarily translate to the type people can look up on Wikipedia (i.e a knock-down to Ozil who plays in Walcott won't get him an assist, but, for me, it was just as important as Ozil's contribution). The type of play that you have to watch whole games to really notice and doesn't really lend itself to highlights.

I think it might have been Shanks who said he's more of an instinctive finisher. I'd agree with that. I'm certainly not confident when he's running in one-on-one with the keeper.

He's mighty handsome though.
this is why he needs a second striker behind him.

and this why, my friend, you *need* Giovinco.

Danchi

This is a very good post

You an Arsenal bro?

Thanks. Edited it a bit about our build-up play which I dunno if you agree with?

I watch more Arsenal games than anyone else so I suppose so. I don't really align myself with the same vitriol as other people though.

Salvadora

What about just playing Ramsey up front
Thanks. Edited it a bit about our build-up play which I dunno if you agree with?

I watch more Arsenal games than anyone else so I suppose so. I don't really align myself with the same vitriol as other people though.
You wrote what I thought more elegantly than I ever could!

Will Jeep Stam be joining Seedorf?

Nothing`s set in stone yet but it seems Sir Clarence really wants him as part of his coaching staff. Tassotti is rumored to be leaving as assistant coach this summer, so it seems likely Stam won`t join the coaching staff until next season.

Carbonox

I might not care much for Arsenal and he might have his issues but I've always rated Giroud since he came to the Premier League. Danchi's post is exactly how I feel on him, albeit I'm going off of the rare live game (Champions League or whatever) and highlights.

His stats are pretty fucking good where end product is concerned for a 'donkey' (I mean that in the nicest possible way here). Decent amount of goals and assists. Sure, he makes a lot of mistakes but the amount of goals he contributes to is crucial all the same. As Danchi said, his knockdown play and ability to get chains going is crucial to a lot of attacking play I've seen Arsenal incorporate. He just needs to work on that end product more but I think he'll ease in more and more he plays first team football.

A bit unrelated but speaking of these sorts of players, I still rate pre-Liverpool Andy Carroll as the best donkey I've seen in years. He was legitimately phenomenal for Newcastle in the first half of that season he left in. He had pace for crying out loud and knew how to use it. Superb strength, hold-up play, a wicked shot and surprisingly good link-up for a striker of his stature. He was mobile and showed off legitimate talent. It's criminal that we probably won't see him like this anymore but that's football.

Hixx

"Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini says he wants to mark his debut season in England by securing all four trophies they are competing in."

article-0-18cb6cb4000f2cwx.jpg

Danchi

A bit unrelated but speaking of these sorts of players, I still rate pre-Liverpool Andy Carroll as the best donkey I've seen in years.

Yeah, I might be doing a disservice to Carroll there. Grant Holt, then, maybe (who the English media once compared Giroud to. Moreso for him being a bit of a "journeyman" who'd worked himself up through the lower leagues).

Clegg

Aren't Southampton backed by the Liebherr group? So long as they stay the club will be fine financially. May not be as well run though. Cortese seems to be a very savvy operator.

subtles

"Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini says he wants to mark his debut season in England by securing all four trophies they are competing in."

article-0-18cb6cb4000f2cwx.jpg

It's nice that he's aiming so high without making excuses, but it's always bad when you overachieve in your first season and fall short in subsequent ones.

3Sixty

Is he the money man?

He's the man to the money woman.

Aren't Southampton backed by the Liebherr group? So long as they stay the club will be fine financially. May not be as well run though. Cortese seems to be a very savvy operator.

Thing is since Markus Liebherr died his daughter has 'owned' the club. Cortese has run everything from top to bottom. For some reason, perhaps her father wishes she won't sell up. The general consensus is Cortese wants to bring in new owners that match his ambition.

i want to steal more of southampton's youth

cortese pls

Die.

3Sixty

The fact it was the mail and a certain bbc reporter who first reported this is a massive sign Cortese leaked this himself to the media. It's to the same people he always leaks info too lol

I love him :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom