• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

football thread 13/14 |ot12| last roll of the dive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feorax

Telegraph says Shaw wants out of Southampton.

Tbf they say there's gonna be a player exodus, but Shaw is on the back page cover.

Southampton has so many good players, a real credit to what they've built there. Clyne and Schneiderlin would improve us massively.

But I don't like the idea of picking a carcass of a team fucked over by it's owners. We've seen it before, and to a degree, been there ourselves. It's fucking horrible, and I hope Saints can sort this shit out. They've been great for the PL.

Scum

Game should be great, looking really forward to it.

City/Barca
Arse/Bayern
Milol/Atletico

Those three are the most exciting ones for me in this knockout phase. Imo though Barca has bigger chance of trying to outscore City than defending against them. Those guys can be absolute beasts on the counters, not to mention that Negredo and Aguery are really dangerous. Both have plenty of experience in La Liga as well.
City, Arsenal and Milol going through.

Telegraph says Shaw wants out of Southampton.

Tbf they say there's gonna be a player exodus, but Shaw is on the back page cover.
3Sixty, pls. You can have Naughton in exchange.

I still don't quite get why Spurs would want to sell Capoue. He's a quality player who is that age where you're easily going to get a full contract and more out of him if you'd like. Taking a loss on him seems strange to me. Napoli were supposed to take Garcia off our hands, dammit!
I don't get it either. Fucking stupid if you ask me.

GorillaJu

Having carefully watched Schneids more often this season I don't think he's a good fit for our playing style. I would prefer Callum Chambers over Clyne tbh but they're both class young'uns.

Elchele

Ashton Kutcher is moving to Genoa

PRAISE THE SUN

smiling_moon2.png

Meier

City's healthy strikers thus far: Negredo 21 goals, Aguero 20 goals, Dzeko 15 goals

Aguero has surpassed his total for last season by 3 already (in 19 fewer apps) while Dzeko has now equaled last year (in 18 fewer apps). Negredo needs 10 more yet in his next 11 games. Not to mention 13 for Yaya.

I still don't quite get why Spurs would want to sell Capoue. He's a quality player who is that age where you're easily going to get a full contract and more out of him if you'd like. Taking a loss on him seems strange to me. Napoli were supposed to take Garcia off our hands, dammit!
Coming at the issue as a Napoli supporter, I'm just as mystified by the entire thing. I have no idea why Spurs would even contemplate an offer from us (unless we were ridiculously overvaluing him, which certainly doesn't seem to be the case), but I'd be glad to get him in our squad. I think he would fit into our reconstruction project quite well.

Yen

Wouldn't mind Liverpool signing Lambert, Lallana or Rodriguez. Or Clyne or Chambers. Or Ward Prowse or Schneiderlin. Can we just buy Southampton?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
We're selling Capoue because he is bottom of the pecking order. Once Paulinho and Sandro are fit he is never going to play, there are no domestic cup games for us now and Sherwood has made it quite clear that Bentaleb is preferred (which is fine).

I don't like getting rid of a player so quickly but the reality is that he will be getting paid to do nothing, we have too many midfielders. If chucking him means we can free up some wages for a striker or left-back then I'm for it. I feel a bit sorry for him because that ankle injury early in the season pretty much ended his Spurs career before it started, once he came back he was forced to play emergency CB and he showed he wasn't up to it, so even as a utility player he wasn't much use. I think if he played regularly he could be very good but I can't disagree with Sherwood's assessment of him, Sandro, Dembele and Paulinho are all better than him and Bentaleb and Carroll are ready to step up to the PL. Sherwood has also used Eriksen, Holtby and Sigurdsson in the CM position.

Scum

It's sad how some clubs keep facing the same teams in the CL every year, always thinking it may be different next time 'round.

Come on, Subtle. You should know how these things work nowadays.

City beating Barca is the one you got right :p

Bayern and Atletico will advance
:p

Arsene is going to have our German contingent call him up. Imagine Ozil, Gnarby, Per, Podolski and Zelalem all huddled around the phone giggling.
Might as well replace Low. It'd be easier.

Walshy

Wouldn't mind Liverpool signing Lambert, Lallana or Rodriguez. Or Clyne or Chambers. Or Ward Prowse or Schneiderlin. Can we just buy Southampton?
You are forgetting Lovern and Shaw too.

Southampton have so much quality when you think about it, sad if theres gonna be a fire sale. Horrible when we had to sell our stars in 2010.

Yen

Southampton have so much quality when you think about it, sad if theres gonna be a fire sale. Horrible when we had to sell our stars in 2010.

Well Shaw is going to Chelsea for a billion pounds anyway (probably)

Who did we have to sell?

Alonso had wanted to leave for a year, Mascherano likewise, and when Torres left we were in the shit

Wasn't so much a case of vultures circling as it was unfortunate timing mixed with dreadful planning imo

Walshy

Who did we have to sell?

Alonso had wanted to leave for a year, Mascherano likewise, and when Torres left we were in the shit

Wasn't so much a case of vultures circling as it was unfortunate timing mixed with dreadful planning imo
I'd agree with that last bit, but the only reason Torres stayed that long is because we promises that he would be sold after the sale to FSG.

Speaking of vultures though, have you seen Purslow has thrown his name into contention to be the next Southampton chairman? :lol

Clydefrog

We're selling Capoue because he is bottom of the pecking order. Once Paulinho and Sandro are fit he is never going to play, there are no domestic cup games for us now and Sherwood has made it quite clear that Bentaleb is preferred (which is fine).

I don't like getting rid of a player so quickly but the reality is that he will be getting paid to do nothing, we have too many midfielders. If chucking him means we can free up some wages for a striker or left-back then I'm for it. I feel a bit sorry for him because that ankle injury early in the season pretty much ended his Spurs career before it started, once he came back he was forced to play emergency CB and he showed he wasn't up to it, so even as a utility player he wasn't much use. I think if he played regularly he could be very good but I can't disagree with Sherwood's assessment of him, Sandro, Dembele and Paulinho are all better than him and Bentaleb and Carroll are ready to step up to the PL. Sherwood has also used Eriksen, Holtby and Sigurdsson in the CM position.

makes... sense!

that's so weird to see in this thread

I'd agree with that last bit, but the only reason Torres stayed that long is because we promises that he would be sold after the sale to FSG.

Speaking of vultures though, have you seen Purslow has thrown his name into contention to be the next Southampton chairman? :lol

I wouldn't even find that funny tbh. These last 5 years of such good work, culminating in an absolute tosspot like Purslow in the hot-seat as the middle of a chain reaction. That shit just ain't fair.

Would be poetic justice for those Southampton fans who found Portsmouth's plight so funny though :p

Scum

I meant the team believes it'll be different next time around. Can you imagine working hard for something every year only to be knocked out by the same faces?
Subtle, pls. This is why you'll never work for FIFA or UEFA. Arsenal vs Bayern! Rematch!! Revenge!!

Has a nice ring to it, don't you think? *cha-ching*

subtles

Subtle, pls. This is why you'll never work for FIFA or UEFA. Arsenal vs Bayern! Rematch!! Revenge!!

Has a nice ring to it, don't you think? *cha-ching*
I wouldn't care how much someone makes off of my plight, nor would I care for the entrainment it would provide. Ajax facing Madrid or Barca every year before they get knocked out of their group is just cruel.

I don't watch many Spurs games or really follow the team at all, so this might come across as ignorant, but it still seems myopic to ditch him now for less than you paid for him when the team is suffering casualty rates that rival trench warfare. Aren't both Paulinho and Sandro currently out on injury? Hasn't Dembele also suffered some injuries this season?

It seems to me to be a safer and more profitable move to keep him on the roster for depth in midfield and to play him enough to raise his value before a summer sale.

flabberghastly is boss. Welcome again buddy!

Brilliant!

Leali :((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( how was he? Is any of the goals partially his fault?

Are you kidding?
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

that was GOLD!

Not especially. He actually made a couple of nice reaction saves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom