• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

football thread 13/14 |ot12| last roll of the dive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scum

Just dont venture to sensitive topics, you can't have a decent discussion on GAF in the OT lately.

Also have no idea what was wrong with Jupps posts. They want to kill the football thread.
Maybe he asked to be banned for a while?

Oxx

Has everyone submitted their votes for GAF GOTY?

Thinking about this has really underlined how few games I actually play. I could only come-up with 16 games I spent much time with last year. Pretty easy to cut it down to a top 10.

Scum

He's gone a week.

Idk if you're allowed to post ban messages so I won't.
Okay. Not that long, at least.

Thinking about this has really underlined how few games I actually play. I could only come-up with 16 games I spent much time with last year. Pretty easy to cut it down to a top 10.
Just list Hitch0-5 games. That'd do. :p

Randdalf

My top 10 list had about 6 entries I think, got most of the games towards the end of the year and didn't have time to play them because I was (and still am) drowning in coursework and exams.

Batigol

Banned

I voted for FIFA 14 and SR IV

Come at me

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I don't think I liked 12 Years a Slave

it had a few powerful images but it really wasn't a great movie.

Splatt

I don't think I liked 12 Years a Slave

it had a few powerful images but it really wasn't a great movie.

Yurt, you were right.

Luther after S1 is all downhill ride.

I should have listened
jbzcH0F5U6uMjI.png

I now get GAF's love for Idris Elba, what a powerhouse of an actor

Yen

1. Go Home
2. A Link Between Worlds (haven't finished it)
3. Super Hexagon (Android)
4. GTA

Don't feel like I played anything else worthy of being on a GOTY list, and even then GTA gets in because of how fun it was. I thought story wide it was poor (though some of the in game writing was amusing).

Linius

Agreed. It was ok but it was pretty manipulative in the same way most Oscar-bait movies are.

Haven't seen it yet but I refuse to believe McQueen made Oscar bait. If the subject wasn't slavery I'm also pretty damn sure there wouldn't have been any awards hype at all. But the Acadamy digs that kind of stuff.

Yurt, you were right.

Luther after S1 is all downhill.

I should have listened
jbzcH0F5U6uMjI.png

I now get GAF's love for Idris Elba, what a powerhouse of an actor

Luther is so fucking good. Every episode. There's no hill to go down in Luther.

L1NETT

Agreed. It was ok but it was pretty manipulative in the same way most Oscar-bait movies are.

What? Pretty true to the parts of the book I've read. Can't really see how it's manipulative.

And lol@Oscar bait. Mcqueen is the complete antithesis of that, dude couldn't give a shit about all of those. Man loves films, if that's Oscar bait then fair enough.

closest thing we got to oscar bait around here is man utd's defence tomorrow

Tremendous

Linius

Manipulative seems to be a popular word to throw around when it comes to drama films these days. As soon as the subject is something controversial and music kicks in at the right moments a movie is manipulative and it's almost universally seen as a bad thing. Some movies can be very good even with the manipulation imo. But some just completely screw it up, like The Butler for instance. That's your typical Oscar bait, and they failed even to get nominations :p

Linius

I enjoyed the show alot, but, IMO, S2 and S3 are nowhere near the quality S1 set.

I was so impressed by the fact that it's a pretty standard detective show but yet not so standard at all. Most part is Idris Elba and Ruth Wilson but the shocking cases and the smart script surely worked wonders.

I hope Broadchurch is anything like Luther in that way. I have heard so much good things about it.

Come to think of it, there are quite a few good detective shows out lately. Bron/Broen (and it's FX remake), Luther and True Detective are all excellent. And I want to see Top of the Lake and Broadchurch then.

Manipulative seems to be a popular word to throw around when it comes to drama films these days. As soon as the subject is something controversial and music kicks in at the right moments a movie is manipulative and it's almost universally seen as a bad thing. Some movies can be very good even with the manipulation imo. But some just completely screw it up, like The Butler for instance. That's your typical Oscar bait, and they failed even to get nominations :p

I highly dislike it when these sorts of techniques are used in biopics. The reality of something dramatic should be allowed to breathe, not daubed in mawkish soundtrack designed to pull the heart strings.

Ashes

Banned
I highly dislike it when these sorts of techniques are used in biopics. The reality of something dramatic should be allowed to breathe, not daubed in mawkish soundtrack designed to pull the heart strings.

Odd. That doesn't seem to be McQueen's way. Dude makes films to please himself.

Keen to watch it now.

Linius

I think it's a difficult question. What makes movies so great is usually a sum up of music, acting and dialogue in scenes. I bet a lot of highly praised films would be far less interesting without their iconic soundtracks. Movies are created to absorb us and music is a key instrument in achieving that.

For me it gets annoying when there's basically not much happening and a director tries to still give us a certain feeling by sweeping up the music. But I guess you just dislike 99% of Hollywood movies?

L1NETT

Broadchurch isn't really a old fashioned who dunnit. It's based on that, but it's far more about the community around that one murder that about the murder itself.

Not gonna spoil stuff, but there is a side plot involving an old dude which really struck me as poignant and tore me up/.

Olivia Coleman fucking kills it. She is so daaaamn good, watch Tryannosaur right now. Right now!

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I agree with Laboured, there was something off with the movie. It was surprisingly unremarkable.

Some horrible miscasting too.

Fintan

I felt watching 12 Years A Slave that it barely used these techniques. For the most part, it's at a bit of an emotional remove. The presentation and setting of the plantation sort of stifles any hope. The long shots of violence don't really fall into the emotionally manipulative category either. And if the ending is emotionally manipulative, then I think it earns it. Great movie, I thought.

L1NETT

I felt watching 12 Years A Slave that it barely used these techniques. For the most part, it's at a bit of an emotional remove. The presentation and setting of the plantation sort of stifles any hope. The long shots of violence don't really fall into the emotionally manipulative category either. And if the ending is emotionally manipulative, then I think it earns it. Great movie, I thought.

Yeah, agree on all. Those long shots were the best way of conveying what happens in the book. It's trying to play up what happened, because it did happen. I think is doing the exact opposite of hollywoodising personally.

Only miscast I can think of is Pitt, that did seem a bit odd.

Oh yeah Shatner, big time. Although I've seen Hunger like 4 or 5 times, fucking top movie. The long conversation in that is bloomin brilliant.

Linius

Gonna do a black and white easy going films day tomorrow. Frances Ha and Much Ado About Nothing. That's two black and white films released in 2013 and then there's Nebraska too. Is black and white the new hype or what? :p

It's not bad and I've seen movies be way more heavy-handed than it is. The movie just didn't really do anything more than tell me slavery really fucking sucks. Thanks tips.

Brad Pitt's character was utterly woeful too.

Showaddy

Yep I really liked how they didn't milk the ending for ages in order to force tears. When it dwelt for so long on the violent scenes without cuts it made you feel uncomfortable, which was entirely the point.

Yen

Linda Pizzuti ‏@Linda_Pizzuti
What it's like to have dinner in Liverpool with Brendan: (He is very nice to all photo requests)
BeNnaUgCYAEqnqf.jpg

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Benedict was Sherlock Holmes for a brief moment too
KuGsj.gif

Fassbender and Patsey were both fucking brilliant.

Is Lacina Traore any good? There's a rumor he might join us on loan instead of West Ham.

Not according to Sviat! He watches him on weekly basis.

I think it's a difficult question. What makes movies so great is usually a sum up of music, acting and dialogue in scenes. I bet a lot of highly praised films would be far less interesting without their iconic soundtracks. Movies are created to absorb us and music is a key instrument in achieving that.

For me it gets annoying when there's basically not much happening and a director tries to still give us a certain feeling by sweeping up the music. But I guess you just dislike 99% of Hollywood movies?

No I just don't like manipulative storytelling techniques in biopics. Feels like dishonest emotional embellishments on a real story that ought not need them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom