• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

football thread 13/14 |ot12| last roll of the dive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning

Banned
I can sympathize with Dortmund.

I know what it's like to be on the cusp of greatness and have it all be taken away from you.

Loved this team:

--------RVP
Nasri Cesc Theo
-----Jack Song

Alumnia is now on a mid table Championship team. That tells it all really.
Aside from Cesc I don't think we miss the rest all that much.

Nasri - Has been just as inconsistent for City as we was with us. There was even talk of him being replaced in the summer.

RVP - Was aging and injury prone. United got the goods last year but this year they have the flip side to RVP, he takes ages to recover from injuries.

Song - We got rid off Song. We never lost him, we basically packed his bags for him to leave.

Losing Cesc was painful. We still haven't recovered from it I feel. We just can't dominate teams like we could when he was here. Other players we really miss were Ashley Cole and Theirry Henry (we sold him too soon) and we never replaced Viera. Never really replaced Robert Pires either and it's only this season and towards the end of last season that our defense is getting back to the days of Adams, Bould, Keown, Campbell.

Nasri, RVP and Song though. They get a MEH! Compared to he others they are really not that good.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
fuck his beard, I miss this Pirlo :(

Andrea-Pirlo.jpg

shades of Robert Pires

Salazar

Rooney on the way out ?

Wow, Jose. You've sent shockwaves through us with that one. No, really. You aren't a piss-poor wibbling shadow of what you might once have been as a managerial "personality".

Salvadora

Lightning, one player we miss on that list that you didn't mention is Jacky.

We really could done with pre-injury Jacky when the heart of our team was ripped out. He still isn't back.
Rooney on the way out ?

Wow, Jose. You've sent shockwaves through us with that one. No, really. You aren't a piss-poor wibbling shadow of what you might once have been as a managerial "personality".

Salvadora

I'm a bit concerned with the calibre of personnel that Arsenal are bringing in.

Andries Jonker - was recruited by Gazidis, not Arsene, as new head of the youth academy. Despite working at some big clubs (like Bayern), he's apparently considered a joke on the continent.

Andy Rolls - new head of sports science, previously sacked from Wes Ham.

We could do a Moyes post-Wenger.

Andries Jonker - was recruited by Gazidis, not Arsene, as new head of the youth academy. Despite working at some big clubs (like Bayern), he's apparently considered a joke on the continent.

Their names alone set alarm bells ringing :p

We basically are going to 'do a Moyes' (lol), anyway. I'm not prepared for it :(

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I remember Jonker! He was Louis van Gaal's assistant and took over after they sacked him.

and IIRC, Bayern GAF wanted him to stay.
3AQmK.gif

Lightning

Banned

I read Andy Rolls quit West Ham. Was he sacked? As for that first guy I've never heard of him.

K1LLER7

This clearly means he's gone. Why would you say that if you're out on loan?

Yeah, I doubt he's the last one either.

Hopefully we have somebody lined up as a replacement. Most likely in the summer.

edit: "David Moyes has hailed Darren Fletcher after his return to full fitness this year for Manchester and said his return is ‘like having a new player’ at Old Trafford."

Lightning

Banned
You're right actually, he did resign.

I hadn't much knowledge of the first guy either, but AFC Academy had some very harsh things to say about him, for example.
https://twitter.com/AFCAcademy
I remember him now. Don't know him that well but I do trust Wenger in such cases. I wouldn't really worry too much while I don't agree with all Wenger's decisions I do think he has Arsenal's best interests at heart and wouldn't allow anyone who he didn't feel could improve us to come in.

Salazar

edit: "David Moyes has hailed Darren Fletcher after his return to full fitness this year for Manchester and said his return is ‘like having a new player’ at Old Trafford."

To be fair, that line is more true of Fletch than it has been when we've heard it about other players.

That is to say, his presence is actually unfamiliar in the lineup and on the pitch.

Salvadora

I remember him now. Don't know him that well but I do trust Wenger in such cases. I wouldn't really worry too much while I don't agree with all Wenger's decisions I do think he has Arsenal's best interests at heart and wouldn't allow anyone who he didn't feel could improve us to come in.

That's why I was concerned, it was Gazidis that lead the search, not Wenger.

K1LLER7

To be fair, that line is more true of Fletch than it has been when we've heard it about other players.

That is to say, his presence is actually unfamiliar in the lineup and on the pitch.

He's played pretty well too. Would prefer he start rather than Cleverley.

Would go with:

--------- De Gea ----------

Rafa - Evans - Vidic - Evra

---- Carrick - Fletcher ----

Valencia - Shinji - Januzaj

------------ Welbeck ------------

He's played pretty well too. Would prefer he start rather than Cleverley.

Would go with:

--------- De Gea ----------

Rafa - Evans - Vidic - Evra

---- Carrick - Fletcher ----

Valencia - Shinji - Januzaj

------------ Welbeck ------------

Remember when people said Cleverley could go on to be better than Messi? :lol

Lightning

Banned
That's why I was concerned, it was Gazidis that lead the search, not Wenger.
Gazidis? He doesn't have the footballing knowledge for such decisions. He's a money man, one of the many money men at Arsenal. Fox and Dick Law are money men too.

Surely Wenger would have been consulted to give the okay?

And Salazar, did you watch that great one dayer last night between Aust and England? What an amazing finish to the game. Faulkner you absolute legend. I was cheering into the TV watching that after being very disappointed thinking the game was over after Maxwell got out.

Salazar

And Salazar, did you watch that great one dayer last night between Aust and England?

Nope. Was watching Ocean's 11.

I saw that England had Australia 9 wickets down with 44 runs left to get and figured there was a decent chance they'd win. Yet they fucked it up. I'd call it incredible, but this is just what they do.

wedward

Aside from Cesc I don't think we miss the rest all that much.

Nasri - Has been just as inconsistent for City as we was with us. There was even talk of him being replaced in the summer.

RVP - Was aging and injury prone. United got the goods last year but this year they have the flip side to RVP, he takes ages to recover from injuries.

Song - We got rid off Song. We never lost him, we basically packed his bags for him to leave.

Losing Cesc was painful. We still haven't recovered from it I feel. We just can't dominate teams like we could when he was here. Other players we really miss were Ashley Cole and Theirry Henry (we sold him too soon) and we never replaced Viera. Never really replaced Robert Pires either and it's only this season and towards the end of last season that our defense is getting back to the days of Adams, Bould, Keown, Campbell.

Nasri, RVP and Song though. They get a MEH! Compared to he others they are really not that good.

O I definitely think the team being built right now will be better. If we get a very good striker this will be the best Arsenal squad since the Invincibles. Not that that is saying much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom