• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

football thread 13/14 |ot12| last roll of the dive

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc89

D4D25492-C81E-4305-A466-FE9F074DE027_zpsrghkq17z.jpg

dc89

Inexperience, rash. Although Fabio has played in a UCL final. He knows better.

I think Boyata has no future at City.

We have Reece Wabara who we should give a crack at RB. He's injured atm but I think he should get his chance.

I think in summer we will sell Kolarov and see Rekik come into the squad.

I think Boyata has no future at City.

We have Reece Wabara who we should give a crack at RB. He's injured atm but I think he should get his chance.

I think in summer we will sell Kolarov and see Rekik come into the squad.

Young player aren't getting a shot at City.

There's more chance of Moyes winning something sometime soon.

Leg-End

Well you either decide if you're back the manager or not.

If you're not willing to give him some time - get rid now, what's the point in continuing?

Depends where you draw the line. Considering the summer, state of the squad and other factors, I think it would be harsh to sack him before he even gets a go at building his team - so that's why I'd give him at least this coming summer to make some moves.

You base your choices at times like these on the principles which underpin your club. There is no guarantee, everything is a risk.

So you can do what some clubs do which is make quick fire decisions or you invest in something and see where it gets you.

You can only back someone so far though, if they don't perform then it leaves you very little choice. I don't think the squad is great, it has a lot of deadwood and rough edges however it is more than capable of a Top 4 finish but its not even the results that worry me, its the way in which they are playing, no fight, no creativity, leaking goals and heads are down.

I understand the principles of the club, I'm proud of them but there is nothing noble about sinking on the Titanic when you had a life raft nearby. Football is a money driven game now and when you are crippled with debt then you are taking a massive gamble by doing nothing to change it. If Moyes is United's man then they need to back him, immediately or be prepared for the fallout, at the end of todays game I think we just got the beginnings of the crowd turning on him.

dc89

Young player aren't getting a shot at City.

There's more chance of Moyes winning something sometime soon.

That's what I don't understand.

We've got Zabaleta and Richards as first choice RB. Richards is perma-injured. We can't have Zabaleta playing all the games.

Boyata has had his chance now.

Give someone else a go.

ENGINEER PLS.

Splatt

That's what I don't understand.

We've got Zabaleta and Richards as first choice RB. Richards is perma-injured. We can't have Zabaleta playing all the games.

Boyata has had his chance now.

Give someone else a go.

ENGINEER PLS.

You need to buy Lahm.

Fuck Allegri

Clegg

There's a lack of balance with the age profile of the squad. Lots of players in their 30's and lots in their teens and early 20's. Not enough players in their mid 20's who could take up leadership roles when the old guard leaves. And those in their mid 20's eg Ando and Clev, aren't good enough anyway.

You can only back someone so far though, if they don't perform then it leaves you very little choice. I don't think the squad is great, it has a lot of deadwood and rough edges however it is more than capable of a Top 4 finish but its not even the results that worry me, its the way in which they are playing, no fight, no creativity, leaking goals and heads are down.

I understand the principles of the club, I'm proud of them but there is nothing noble about sinking on the Titanic when you had a life raft nearby. Football is a money driven game now and when you are crippled with debt then you are taking a massive gamble by doing nothing to change it. If Moyes is United's man then they need to back him, immediately or be prepared for the fallout, at the end of todays game I think we just got the beginnings of the crowd turning on him.

I agree.

Which is why they need to back him here and now - bring someone in who can help the team and build towards the summer.

Ashsturm

I hope Utd stick with Moyes even if they don't finish in the top 4. This form isn't evidence of him being a bad manager but instead how difficult a managerial transition is at the top. The turn around of managers at Chelsea/City has fooled fans into thinking the top clubs can chop and change but still expect to stay in the top 4 however it's quite different if there isn't a £100m injection available to cover up that transition.

As dominant as the traditional top 4 seem Arsenal/Utd's sustained success is still heavily dependent on their managers. Chelsea followed by City were the first clubs to introduce the idea of top 4 dominance throughout the reign of successive appointments

Draconian

Had to record the match this morning. Good grief the back line was terrible. Luiz with a stupid giveaway. He'd been in the lineup all the time if Mou could trust him not to do boneheaded stuff from time to time. Eto'o just makes me want to break something too. Gets in and doesn't even get a shot off smh. At least Torres manages to put the ball on target. Oscar and Willian look fantastic though. Overall, a mixed bag, and I'm happy we kept the clean sheet.

I wish I'd caught just the last 10 minutes of United just for the lols though. There was a time when I got nervous whenever we had to go to Old Trafford, but now I'm kind of upset Mou didn't come out of the shell and let us try to get all 3 points. If Swansea beat them again next week, I'll be in stiches.

Marc

BdPGlNQIcAE4CuB.jpg:large

Moyes will end the season with a League cup medal and a Community Shield medal anyway, have faith united-GAF!

Clegg

I agree.

Which is why they need to back him here and now - bring someone in who can help the team and build towards the summer.
I also agree with Moyes when he says it's hard to get the players you really want in January. He's probably right to wait until Summer. But then again they may not come if we don't have a good season. So much pressure to buy in January and some fans may turn against him if he doesn't.

I don't envy the job he has ahead of him.

Leg-End

I agree.

Yep, they need to swallow their pride and open their wallets for 2-3 players this window no matter the cost, they need to realise they should spend now to save later because no CL football will be a huge blow, huge.

And if they do that January to the summer becomes Moyes probation period, he needs to show signs of improvement basically everywhere or he will be replaced by someone who can do it.

Walshy

This would cause most teams trouble:

---------------------RVP/Hernandez-----------------------
Kagawa ------------Rooney--------------------Januzaj
---------------Fellaini--------Carrick-----------------------

And use the fullbacks for width.
That team would get destroyed. Who is doing the defensive work?

You really think the likes of Kagawa and Januzaj would track back to help their full backs out when they get exposed when they go forward? What has Kagawa even done to deserve any sort of starting position?

Fellaini isn't a centre midfielder or a defensive midfielder. He's an CAM as is Januzaj and Kagawa, you are playing these players out of position. Kagawa has been proven to be ineffective on the left as well. They have no decent fullbacks, Evra and Smalling are shite, Moyes doesn't seem to rate Rafael or Fabio (not surprising after today). Vidic has six months left on his contract and doesn't look like he is renewing. Rio is past it, that leaves Jones, Smalling and Evans as centre-backs. They need to heavily invest in their defence in the summer.

Moyes has a rebuilding job to do. Most of their main players within their squad are 28 or over.

Fergie

Banned
@ManUtd: Moyes has "no issues" with Fabio's red card, adding: “When we went down to 10 men, we kept trying to go for it and got caught a bit.” #mufc

Well, man needs game time. Smalling should partner Evans.

Nicktendo86

I hope Utd stick with Moyes even if they don't finish in the top 4. This form isn't evidence of him being a bad manager but instead how difficult a managerial transition is at the top. The turn around of managers at Chelsea/City has fooled fans into thinking the top clubs can chop and change but still expect to stay in the top 4 however it's quite different if there isn't a £100m injection available to cover up that transition.

As dominant as the traditional top 4 seem Arsenal/Utd's sustained success is still heavily dependent on their managers. Chelsea followed by City were the first clubs to introduce the idea of top 4 dominance throughout the reign of successive appointments
The way Everton are playing this season is proof enough for me that Moyes is, at most, a mediocre mid table manager. You can see that in thee way he sets up his team, he doesn't know how to win. Thanks fergie, great leaving present for us.

Clegg

You really think the likes of Kagawa and Januzaj would track back to help their full backs out when they get exposed when they go forward? What has Kagawa even done to deserve any sort of starting position?

Fellaini isn't a centre midfielder or a defensive midfielder. He's an CAM as is Januzaj and Kagawa, you are playing these players out of position. Kagawa has been proven to be ineffective on the left as well. They have no decent fullbacks, Evra and Smalling are shite, Moyes doesn't seem to rate Rafael or Fabio (not surprising after today). Vidic has six months left on his contract and doesn't look like he is renewing. Rio is past it, that leaves Jones, Smalling and Evans as centre-backs. They need to heavily invest in their defence in the summer.

Moyes has a rebuilding job to do. Most of their main players within their squad are 28 or over.
The Rafael thing isnt true. He's first choice when he's fit. Just had two bad injuries this season.

and it IS true about Totti with Italy, a couple of MOTM performances won't change that.

I just can't let that slide, he always helped us qualify nicely and had a great relationship with Vieri, Montella and Delvechio at times. He played at 4 senior level tournaments. 2000, he was arguably the best player at the tournament and in the world that year and without him
and Toldo
we would not have been in the final. In 2002 he was ok in the group games and then hacked to pieces by the Koreans and then that cheating ref booked him instead of giving a penalty. 2004 was a disaster for everyone. And in 2006 he shouldn't even have been playing football, but he still put his career on the line to help us win it all. He was responsible for that penalty and also had three assists.

People say he never played as well for the national team as he did for Roma and that is true. He was a true number 10 back then
as opposed to Del Boy who has also been more of a SS
and his effectiveness is based on his relationships with his teammates and knowing their movements. When you play with guys for years week in and out you will always be more effective than playing for a couple games during qualifications and tournaments. Despite that he still produced most of the time when playing for us.

His national team duties will always look like this. 7 tournamanets, 3 winners medal and two runner-up medals. It is a shame he didn't show up more.

jtb

Banned
Would be very premature to fire Moyes so soon, I think, or even at the end of the season. Crashing out of the FA cup is the best thing that could have happened for Moyes. Once he crashes out of Europe a swell, the league results will improve. It's simply inevitable. United still have a very good chance of finishing in the top 4.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Marchisio sucks.

No goals, no assists.

Thank God we didn't sign him and are gonna get Vidal instead.
Viva stop trolling me :( I haven't eaten all day :(

And Trez cried :(

And I was supposed to be in the stadium with my buddies but I ccouldn't make it :(

Mercy :(

If there is any criticism of Moyes it's that he doesn't set his team out in any particular way.

This manifests itself in alot of other criticisms but this is at the core of it.

Moyes needs to establish what he wants and set his team out that way. As with alot of other things he's been very wooly about it, neither here nor there. That's when you will get conviction in your team, something for players and fans to buy in to - even if they don't necessarily agree with it entirely.

Salvadora

Moyes:
We were a bit unlucky to lose. We had some opportunities, not enough, and we were down to 10 men.

"We played quite well at times, got near the edge of the box quite regular, but didn't make an opportunity to score the goal. I though for long periods we had good control of the game.

"When you lose games at any club, it's difficult. We've got a big game on Tuesday [in the League Cup semi-final against Sunderland] and we'll get the team ready for that."

Fergie

Banned

Hasn't Farid expressed that Fellaini is capable as a DM?

Rather he play as one when he comes back.

Spot on. I wanted top 4 no matter what. If Moyes can't get top 4 with this squad, then why persist with him? No top 4 means he can't squeeze the most out of its talent so even if he does buy some good players, will he be able to get the best out of them? I never expected him to be Fergie and I never expected him to win the league. My standards were already lowered and I was happy if he would get top 4 for a couple of years and win the league somewhere down the line.

Hell, I would be fine if we didn't get top 4 this season as long as the play improved. The play is dog shit though.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
He's not completely wrong though. Injury or not, he hasn't been shining for a while now.
I was tweeting about it the other day

Defensively speaking, he's still up there despite playing less than Pogba and Vidal.

I lost count of how many times he was used out of position too. Didn't he play in Pirlo's position? And on the wings against Madrid?

Conte pls

Zabojnik

I was tweeting about it the other day

Defensively speaking, he's still up there despite playing less than Pogba and Vidal.

I lost count of how many times he was used out of position too. DDidn't he play in Pirlo's place?

All true. He's still very useful to the team, but poses little danger going forward. I'm sure it's just a phase, but he needs to play better.

JUVEEEEEEEEEEEEE LET'S DO THISSSSSSSSSSSSS

See you guys at half time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom