• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

football thread 13/14 |ot12| last roll of the dive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

Has Rossi really done his ACL again? Ah fuck, I feel terribly for him. Such a talented player who deserves to show how good he can be, because he can be really fucking good when he's fit. Was one of the best forwards in La Liga when he was still in his very early twenties.

Messi

Has Rossi really done his ACL again? Ah fuck, I feel terribly for him. Such a talented player who deserves to show how good he can be, because he can be really fucking good when he's fit. Was one of the best forwards in La Liga when he was still in his very early twenties.

Yeah. It's a real shame that injuries have ruined any chance he had of hitting his full potential. Can't imagine soul crushing doing your ACL again is.

pulga

Banned
just got done with ep1 of s2 of the walking dead game

so

fucking

good.

really missed clementine and her wacky misadventures. DAT early on twist haha

Zabo I know you're probably drunk with the delirium of crushing Roma but probably best you edit that picture out of that post.

Edit: I assume you've gone to sleep.

oh god no it begins

wes daddy pls

Lightning

Banned
I think next weekend we will suffer our annual 6+ goal defeat. We are truly dreadful.

If we have over 20% possession I will be happily surprised.
You will get more than that. I will be happy with any win, I doubt we will be able to steam roll anyone, we're not playing that great. We're currently just playing well enough to win games and no more.

We do need to demolish someone but I think Sunderland at the Emirates are a better target for that.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I'm not good at this srry

i2vUCgDUjXeNM.gif

Sooooooo good!

why hello there old friend
3AQmK.gif

bud

I think next weekend we will suffer our annual 6+ goal defeat. We are truly dreadful.

If we have over 20% possession I will be happily surprised.

this arsenal team is incapable of scoring six goals in a single game. frustrating.

i believe the average amount of goals per match in the league and champions league combined is less than two goals.

Lightning

Banned
this arsenal team is incapable of scoring six goals in a single game. frustrating.

i believe the average amount of goals per match in the league and champions league combined is less than two goals.
It's annoying as fuck. As soon as we're comfortable we sit back and let the opponent have the ball. The only time we're pressuring is if we need a goal otherwise happy to defend.

bud

every time i take them out, i like to put one of them in my mouth because i actually do like the taste--they're quite salty.

i wear dailies.

Yen

I once got a contact stuck in my eye and had to have it removed with a giant hook in A&E. I no longer wear them (and I'm stuck with ridiculous looking concave specs)

Kyoufu

I once got a contact stuck in my eye and had to have it removed with a giant hook in A&E. I no longer wear them (and I'm stuck with ridiculous looking concave specs)

I'd never wear contacts because of that.

Doesn't the thought of them getting stuck freak anyone else out?

GorillaJu

I only watched the first half of Juve Roma last night. Looks like I missed all the action (except Vidal's goal, which was well taken).

Juve have a very unique way of playing, with the midfielders pushing to the sides and the CBs playing balls directly into the forwards.

I thought Roma played very well in the first half, especially down the left flank, with Pjanic and Strootman interchanging passes with Dodô.

But fuck Roma, forza Juve!

GQman2121

Banned
Mark Lawrenson of the BBC seems to have Zaha on a number of clubs radar in Janaury. Is he looking to move? I mean, I know he's not getting any time at United, but I didn't think it had reached that point already.

GorillaJu

Looks like we're closing in on 17 y/o Dele Alli. Wouldn't mind that signing at all as he's been extremely good for me in my Derby County FM save, oddly enough as a Will Hughes replacement when I couldn't afford his wages and Newcastle bought him off me.

I'm always more excited about names familiar to me :lol

Hope we get a real midfielder in still, but I reckon the good ones are gonna cost us just too much.

Kyoufu

Mark Lawrenson of the BBC seems to have Zaha on a number of clubs radar in Janaury. Is he looking to move? I mean, I know he's not getting any time at United, but I didn't think it had reached that point already.

Isn't he seeing Moyes's daughter?

GQman2121

Banned
Why not play him then? He's a great player. Going to be sad when he's gone from the premier league and we can't watch him anymore.

When he came off on Wednesday we scored 3 times. He's a good player, yes, he's just not clicking with the gameplan the same way the players in front of him are. I was shocked that he didn't get some minutes today--but then again Mou isn't going to reward him for lashing out publicly like he did at Saint Mary's. He's either going to get with the program or he's not going to play.

De Bruyne is clearly done with football in England. I don't know if we'll sell or loan, but he's finished. Bundesliga seems to suit him, so we're likely looking for a partner to strike a deal. He wants out.

flippedb

Banned
It's sad to see how the (soon) three-times champion of Serie A will play in Europa League. Italian football has turned to shit.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Ah, can't fucking sleep.

<3 Odd. Watch the 2nd half, it was too funny.

It's sad to see how the (soon) three-times champion of Serie A will play in Europa League. Italian football has turned to shit.
Yet Milan is still in the CL. Paradox?

Juve fucked up, not the whole league.

Lightning

Banned
When he came off on Wednesday we scored 3 times. He's a good player, yes, he's just not clicking with the gameplan the same way the players in front of him are. I was shocked that he didn't get some minutes today--but then again Mou isn't going to reward him for lashing out publicly like he did at Saint Mary's. He's either going to get with the program or he's not going to play.

De Bruyne is clearly done with football in England. I don't know if we'll sell or loan, but he's finished. Bundesliga seems to suit him, so we're likely looking for a partner to strike a deal. He wants out.
I know he isn't clicking but it's Derby, perfect opportunity to rest your main men while playing those out of favor. This is sad for the player as if this continues his world cup dream is all but over. Spain have an abundance of outstanding midfielders so Mata won't get a look in because he's not playing. The fact he didn't start surprised me, the fact he never made a subs appearance either really stunned me. I mean, what does Mou do if Hazard or Oscar get an injury? Mata's reaction to getting subbed may have influenced Mou's decision but still really feel for Mata.

Mou pretty much confirmed De Bruyne will be sold once Chelsea receive the right fee. I think he said player hasn't adapted well and is not taking the situation well.

GorillaJu

I might be completely off with this, but whenever I watch Juve in the CL I get the impression the defenders struggle a bit. Lichtsteiner in particular seems to be permanently frustrated. I think this places undue pressure on players like Vidal to do more defending than they should need to, and then the necessary players are absent in midfield when Juve launch into attack.

Roma has a very good midfield and Juve bypassed them several times with well-placed balls from I think it was Chiellini, so clearly the potential is there to cut open CL teams, I just wonder if Juve wouldn't benefit from a more orthodox set-up when those balls from defense aren't doing their job and the resultant lack of possession is placing too much pressure on them.

Rikkun

I might be completely off with this, but whenever I watch Juve in the CL I get the impression the defenders struggle a bit. Lichtsteiner in particular seems to be permanently frustrated. I think this places undue pressure on players like Vidal to do more defending than they should need to, and then the necessary players are absent in midfield when Juve launch into attack.

Roma has a very good midfield and Juve bypassed them several times with well-placed balls from I think it was Chiellini, so clearly the potential is there to cut open CL teams, I just wonder if Juve wouldn't benefit from a more orthodox set-up when those balls from defense aren't doing their job and the resultant lack of possession is placing too much pressure on them.

Well we weren't that bad against Madrid, especially in Torino IIRC. Obviously every time Ronaldo wanted to push harder we had to be 100% ready or pray for something, we're not ready to be in the top 8 European teams. Maybe we could be in the top 16, but yeah, not this time, matches against Copenaghen and Galatasaray should've been at our reach, also because as you said the ball can start from Chiellini or Bonucci (and both can even reach the midfield, if there's no pressure, with the ball), from here they can search for Pirlo/Marchisio, which usually choose between a wing or Pogba/Vidal and back. It's not like we don't have choices...

PS: I might express myself badly because pasta english and fucking 6AM and zero sleep.

GorillaJu

Well we weren't that bad against Madrid, especially in Torino IIRC. Obviously every time Ronaldo wanted to push harder we had to be 100% ready or pray for something, we're not ready to be in the top 8 European teams. Maybe we could be in the top 16, but yeah, not this time, matches against Copenaghen and Galatasaray should've been at our reach, also because as you said the ball can start from Chiellini or Bonucci (and both can even reach the midfield, if there's no pressure, with the ball), from here they can search for Pirlo/Marchisio, which usually choose between a wing or Pogba/Vidal and back. It's not like we don't have choices...

PS: I might express myself badly because pasta english and fucking 6AM and zero sleep.

Well I think that's part of the issue, in that teams like Real have that expectation in their DNA that their job is to attack and score goals, so there will be space to pass the ball through out from Chiellini, Pirlo, Marchisio or whoever as Real send their fullbacks and midfielders forward.

It's the teams like Celtic who have a safety-first attitude and will put lots of bodies in the midfield. Then those passes out the back are going to get cut out and there's instant pressure on the defense, and the forwards aren't getting the service they need as the ball is too often not in the final third. I think Tevez is a good fit for Juve in this style because he creates his own chances, ensuring that you'll have shots on goal even if the ball isn't always getting played into the right areas. However it's not always going to work out, you're not always going to have Tevez fit and firing, and you may end up conceding a few too many first.

Salazar

Lawrenson is clueless. Be surprised if we don't loan. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he gets flogged without getting a shot at our first team. Eventually, though. Not now.

K1LLER7

every time i take them out, i like to put one of them in my mouth because i actually do like the taste--they're quite salty.

i wear dailies.
You eat your contacts?!

Bud pls.
I'd never wear contacts because of that.

Doesn't the thought of them getting stuck freak anyone else out?
Was a worry at first whenever I was putting them in and taking them out. But you get used to it.

Rikkun

Well I think that's part of the issue, in that teams like Real have that expectation in their DNA that their job is to attack and score goals, so there will be space to pass the ball through out from Chiellini, Pirlo, Marchisio or whoever as Real send their fullbacks and midfielders forward.

It's the teams like Celtic who have a safety-first attitude and will put lots of bodies in the midfield. Then those passes out the back are going to get cut out and there's instant pressure on the defense, and the forwards aren't getting the service they need as the ball is too often not in the final third. I think Tevez is a good fit for Juve in this style because he creates his own chances, ensuring that you'll have shots on goal even if the ball isn't always getting played into the right areas. However it's not always going to work out, you're not always going to have Tevez fit and firing, and you may end up conceding a few too many first.

Bingo, Tevez created and run a lot in CL but didn't score a single goal. Fact is, you're Juventus, you can't let weaker sides force you into not scoring. This doesn't happen in Italy, we have scored the most in Serie A and every GK gets a new set of wings while playing against us.
In those cases Llorente should be the key. I still don't know if he's as strong as now everyone is saying, but his role in those matches should be to transform that single ball he gets in a three-point volley. He managed to do that sometimes, but I guess he's no Trezeguet or Inzaghi, you can't just order everyone to shoot the ball against him.

GorillaJu

I really hate walking around big stations like Yokohama, there are just too many gorgeous girls. Japanese girls look so good in the winter.. Thigh-length winter coats over mini skirts with black stockings and black heels.. Seems to be what everyone is wearing this year and it's boner city every time I'm at the station.

Japanese girls are flat chested and have no ass to speak of but those fucking legs man. Uuhbnnggghhhgajalllllghjll

GorillaJu

I wouldn't mind Utd winning the CL this season. They could use a bit of a lift. But since I think Liverpool have a legit shot at top 4, if we got 4th and Utd won the CL I'd cry and slit my wrists. In other words fuck United

Draconian

I wouldn't mind Utd winning the CL this season. They could use a bit of a lift. But since I think Liverpool have a legit shot at top 4, if we got 4th and Utd won the CL I'd cry and slit my wrists. In other words fuck United

It seems more likely for United to win the CL than to win at Old Trafford at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom