• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

football thread 13/14 |ot12| last roll of the dive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

venison crêpe
eh, i thought it was rather harmless.

It was, and I think their measured response is rather proportional to the act. They haven't overblown the situation but their statement is tempered with a warning to the league that not much more than that would be deemed acceptable. Probably one of the few times the FA got something right in recent months.

Fergie

Banned
http://metro.co.uk/2014/01/04/jacks...d-would-love-to-sign-for-the-gunners-4249227/

Manchester United boss David Moyes says he may struggle to strengthen his squad in January because there are not many suitable players available to sign in the mid-season transfer window.
He said a lack of new faces would "not be because we don't want to do it".
"We would like to bring people in but are those players available?" he added.
"There is an urgency but there's no point in me hyping it up because the players we would like to bring in are probably not available in January."

Manchester United 1-2 Swansea: David Moyes calls for consistency
Marouane Fellaini, who was with Moyes at former club Everton, was the only new arrival at United last summer.
The defending champions, who are seventh in the Premier League, were knocked out of the FA Cup by Swansea at Old Trafford on Sunday and Moyes admitted there was less of a fear factor at Old Trafford this season after his side's fourth loss in six home matches.
"Of course we need to return to winning ways," said the Scot.
"We need to try and get ourselves to be hard to play against and get something out of the good play we have in games."
United were knocked out at the third-round stage for only the second time in 30 years when Wilfried Bony's 90th-minute winner earned Swansea a first win at Old Trafford after Javier Hernandez had cancelled out Wayne Routledge's early goal.
The hosts' misery was compounded by a sending-off for defender Fabio 10 minutes from the end after he had replaced Rio Ferdinand, who suffered a knee injury in his first game since 10 December.
The defeat, United's seventh of the season in all competitions, came after they were beaten 2-1 by Tottenham at Old Trafford on New Year's Day.
Man Utd's home struggles
Manchester United have lost four of their last six home games in all competitions
The Red Devils have kept just one clean sheet in their last six at Old Trafford
United have scored more than one goal in just one of their last seven games at home
United midfielder Darren Fletcher said the team "had let Moyes and the fans down".
"It's a massive blow, let's not kid ourselves here, this is a really bad result and there are a lot of angry, hurt players," the Scottish midfielder added on MUTV.
"It's not good enough and we're going to have to raise our performance levels."
United were without injured strikers Wayne Rooney and Robin van Persie, while Moyes also rested midfielder Michael Carrick and centre-half Nemanja Vidic ahead of Tuesday's Capital One Cup semi-final first leg at Sunderland.
"We have another big game in 48 hours so we have to keep that in mind, but there is no excuse really, we had a very strong team," added Moyes. "Just about every player on the pitch was an international player.
"We shouldn't [rely on Rooney and Van Persie]. It should be that we put out a really strong team, everybody gets their opportunity to show what they can do, and then I make decisions from that."

bjaelke

No punishment for Spurs for their fans throwing stuff at him?

The FA has contacted both Arsenal and Tottenham to seek their observations in relation to objects being thrown from both a home and away section of the crowd at different times during Saturday’s FA Cup tie.

The FA condemns any such acts and will liaise with both clubs and the Metropolitan Police to identify those responsible and support the strongest sanctions available, including life bans.

Meanwhile, in relation to the same fixture, The FA has contacted Arsenal’s Theo Walcott and reminded him of his responsibilities regarding a ‘scoreline’ gesture he made in front of away supporters during the game.

The FA will not be taking any further disciplinary action.

Meier

Apparently the Portuguese media say Matic is available too. So that's Pjanic and Matic who are available this window. Yet if you go by what Moyes is saying then none of our targets are available. Could mean a few different things. Moyes is lying when he says his targets aren't available or Matic and Pjanic aren't on or racer. Both would be worrying.

Or I'm just completely over thinking things.

Saw some rumors that City would offer Garcia back to Benfica in a partial swap for Matic. That'd be a nice deal.

Strange that all these Serie A games are happening today. Is it some sort of holiday in Italy? Iturbe scored again today I see.. he is going to be very good.

L1NETT

Did the Arsenal fans get punished after lobbing stuff at Ade and injuring a steward after he did that mad celebration in 09?

Did Ade even get punished? Can't remember for the life of me.

Meier

eh, i thought it was rather harmless.

It was, and I think their measured response is rather proportional to the act. They haven't overblown the situation but their statement is tempered with a warning to the league that not much more than that would be deemed acceptable. Probably one of the few times the FA got something right in recent months.

I found it very strange that it was even a "thing" to begin with. Chalk that up as a cultural difference.. no one would blink an eye if a player did something like that in the US.

Scum

Apparently the Portuguese media say Matic is available too. So that's Pjanic and Matic who are available this window. Yet if you go by what Moyes is saying then none of our targets are available. Could mean a few different things. Moyes is lying when he says his targets aren't available or Matic and Pjanic aren't on or racer. Both would be worrying.

Or I'm just completely over thinking things.
You'll get Osman and like it. Fletcher is like a new signing anyway.

3Sixty

Next time Arsenal are losing if the other teams fans don't sing.

"Theo whats the score? Theo, Theo, whats the score?"

Then football is dead.

iZCIyqPCKroVO.jpg

Great finish to some of the worst holidays I've ever had. We're far from being good, but today we did okay-ish. Matri should just leave, when he got subbed Balo changed the team. Binho too, useless, slow and simply bad. I'm happy for Kakà, I thought he was done in August, glad I was proved wrong. And De Sciglio needs to learn how to cross.
I don't like Rami
Have some faith man. He played like two friendlies iirc, in four months. Just give him some time.

Peco

Good win but we really need to get rid of some awful players. The absence of Muntari is great for us, even a blind man could see that.

Jarnet87

We know Moyes isn't going to sign anyone in Janaury because he's a coward and a cheap Vegas impersonation of Fergie, but just shut up about it. We don't need him saying dumb shit like there is no value or the targets we want aren't available, it doesn't help matters.

Wes

venison crêpe
I found it very strange that it was even a "thing" to begin with. Chalk that up as a cultural difference.. no one would blink an eye if a player did something like that in the US.

Think it's more of an edgy issue over here at the moment due to the recent Wilshere suspension by doing "insulting" hand gestures to the crowd. Whilst what Walcott did was not in the same ball park as Wilshere's, I suppose the fact it was a member of the same team and heavily did the rounds on social media raised the incident's profile enough that the FA had to respond in the manner we did.

Pity they had to at all I agree. It was all a bit harmless.

Meier

Read last night that if Big Sam is sacked, Harry is the overwhelming favorite to take over at West Ham (1/3 odds I think I read). Would be somewhat surprising to see since he's stuck with QPR and they're in the hunt to move back to the Prem but it would mean staying in London which seems to be a draw.

Scum

Read last night that if Big Sam is sacked, Harry is the overwhelming favorite to take over at West Ham (1/3 odds I think I read). Would be somewhat surprising to see since he's stuck with QPR and they're in the hunt to move back to the Prem but it would mean staying in London which seems to be a draw.
Heh. Good ol' 'Arry.

flippedb

Banned
iZCIyqPCKroVO.jpg

Great finish to some of the worst holidays I've ever had. We're far from being good, but today we did okay-ish. Matri should just leave, when he got subbed Balo changed the team. Binho too, useless, slow and simply bad. I'm happy for Kakà, I thought he was done in August, glad I was proved wrong. And De Sciglio needs to learn how to cross.

Have some faith man. He played like two friendlies iirc, in four months. Just give him some time.

De Sciglio can cross...

ib3r1yu5aikkv1pjwh.gif

He just had a bad day.

Rami might not be a bad player, but there's something about him that I don't like. Allegri proved, yet again, that he can't chose a decent lineup, Matri and Robinho were the starting strikers :lol

Splatt

Moyes at Utd really does feel similiar to Hodgson's tenure as Liverpool manager.

Same tripe spoken to the press, shit transfer dealings, bad team form that doesn't look like it will improve...

dc89

The young West Ham fan who was filmed bawlin' his eyes out is being hunted down by West Ham as they want to offer him and his family the opportunity to watch a future fixture in the director's box.

Nice gesture and everything but hasn't he suffered enough?!

The young West Ham fan who was filmed bawlin' his eyes out is being hunted down by West Ham as they want to offer him and his family the opportunity to watch a future fixture in the director's box.

Nice gesture and everything but hasn't he suffered enough?!

They should get him tickets to the League Cup final. West Ham vs. Sunderland should be a good game.

Meier

Interesting, Roma have signed Leandro Paredes on loan. I can't see him getting guaranteed minutes so that's kind of a strange move for him. If they have an option to buy though, it's fantastic business for Roma.

flippedb

Banned
So how did we play today? Anybody have a gif of Cristante's goal?

I saw only the second half, and we sucked. Atalanta even got a fair goal disallowed. When Balotelli came in, the team changed, Kaka scored his second goal and then Cristante did his thing.

I'll see if a can get a jif.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Milan's team is waaaay better than 10th place

and same for Lazio, what the fuck are they doing down there?!

Kakà is in 10th place on Milan's all-time scoring list. He is one goal behind Prati, who scored 102 goals for Milan. Gunnar Nordahl is in the first place (221 goals), Shevchenko is in second, with 175 goals.
Milan's team is waaaay better than 10th place

and same for Lazio, what the fuck are they doing down there?!

When your manager knows that he's going to get fired a year later it's pointless to think he'll try to do something good. Same goes for the players, you can see that they don't really care.

Yen

Moyes at Utd really does feel similiar to Hodgson's tenure as Liverpool manager.

Same tripe spoken to the press, shit transfer dealings, bad team form that doesn't look like it will improve...
Similarities but Hodgson had us in 17th.

panty

Diego López, Pepe, Ramos, Ronaldo, Benzema, Marcelo, Xabi Alonso, Carvajal, Modric, Di María, Isco.

Pepe + Ramos

why

Yes it will, just gonna take time.

Glazers just gotta be patient hopefully that trigger finger doesn't get itchy if 4th slips away.

Salvadora

From what I've read, the Glazers are not trigger happy with underperforming managers.

There were examples from their US sports clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom