• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT13| Top 15 finish for AC Milan: Sogno Possibile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? I couldn't ever see United and Arsenal coming to agreement over valuations of players, but we've some of the best and future best midfielders in the country.

You have no midfield.
It'd have to be more than just one player.

But I don't think that would be the problem anyway. I don't see United willingly giving Rooney to anybody else in the league.

Salvadora

But I don't think that would be the problem anyway. I don't see United willingly giving Rooney to anybody else in the league.
I don't think this would ever happen (considering he wouldn't even put a formal transfer request in), but under FIFA ruling, he could buy his own contract out, right?

Lightning

Banned

He's on his last season next season anyway though? Unless United want to piss 40m away what choice have they got?

I don't think this would ever happen (considering he wouldn't even put a formal transfer request in), but under FIFA ruling, he could buy his own contract out, right?

I don't think so.

I know there is that rule which cropped up in a few articles but considering that pretty much nobody has ever done it...I doubt it is actually possible in a practical sense. There probably have to pay some kind of penalty fine or there must be some kind of waiver where the player can't sign with another club for x amount of time.

No idea what the technicalities would be - but yeah, I'm sure clubs safeguard against it.

He's on his last season next season anyway though? Unless United want to piss 40m away what choice have they got?
Well we don't need the money so we do have a choice.

Never say never but I'd be astonished if they sold him to a PL club. Not even from the footballing perspective, it would be an awful business decision too.

Messi

Would Man United fans be angry or upset if Roney ran down his contract or bought it out? Just kind of curious. He has been there so long and has given everything to the club at times but the club has also been incredibly good to him.

Would Man United fans be angry or upset if Roney ran down his contract or bought it out? Just kind of curious. He has been there so long and has given everything to the club at times but the club has also been incredibly good to him.

No.

In fact I hope that's what happens.

pulga

Banned

lol the ungrateful cunts have wanted him gone for a while now

Why, if I may ask?

Well, as I said before, just sick of him now.

But even from the footballing perspective. His contract will expire when he is 30, keeping him on means we have to cough up at least another £250k/week until he's 33/34. Considering his fitness issues I am not sure we will get our money's worth. I'm not sure we got our money's worth for the duration of this contract...but we definitely wouldn't on a brand new one.

And I really don't think he's that great either. I mean I can't say he's rubbish. He is good, a very good player. But I think there are plenty better in his position. Of course that depends on us getting one which is a hell of an ask.

So yeah, just stick around for another 18 months and then go. Maybe Januzaj will be able to step in by then.

Hixx

So apparently Fletcher gobbed on a rickshaw driver... took pictures and recorded it and put it on instagram.

What a fucking cretin. God, I hate our squad.

lol the ungrateful cunts

iUuO8AGlvy7CK.gif

Messi

Well, as I said before, just sick of him now.

But even from the footballing perspective. His contract will expire when he is 30, keeping him on means we have to cough up at least another £250k/week until he's 33/34. Considering his fitness issues I am not sure we will get our money's worth. I'm not sure we got our money's worth for the duration of this contract...but we definitely wouldn't on a brand new one.

And I really don't think he's that great either. I mean I can't say he's rubbish. He is good, a very good player. But I think there are plenty better in his position. Of course that depends on us getting one which is a hell of an ask.

So yeah, just stick around for another 18 months and then go. Maybe Januzaj will be able to step in by then.

But hasn't Rooney been there for the most part this season providing the goals or the assists to avoid sending Man United into deeper shit. He was arguably uniteds best player up until recently bar say DeGea obviously. I don't know why but I just like Rooney and think sometimes united fans are very harsh on him. At said he can be a moany whiny bitch at times.

But hasn't Rooney been there for the most part this season providing the goals or the assists to avoid sending Man United into deeper shit. He was arguably uniteds best player up until recently bar say DeGea obviously. I don't know why but I just like Rooney and think sometimes united fans are very harsh on him. At said he can be a moany whiny bitch at times.

Yeah he's been very good this season.

United fans aren't too harsh on him. They're too generous IMO.

But whatever, it's not clear cut. Many want him to stay. Many want him gone. It's not a straightforwards situation. I think he will end up staying.

Hixx

It blows my mind that some Man United fans wouldn't be unhappy to see Rooney leave.

I can't think of a team in the world he wouldn't get into. He is by miles and miles their best player. When you consider how utterly average their team is at the minute it just doubles my bafflement.

also i hit my head about 20 mins ago it hurts and is very warm and i feel tired

if i dont wake up pls dont cry for me footballgaf

I want him gone for two reasons:

1. He's asked out twice.
2. He plays behind the striker in a way that contributes to our current shit style of play. He gets goals and assists, but he likes to ping it to the winger every time. He's not very creative from the middle. I still think his best position is as a number 9, and if he was still playing there I probably wouldn't want him gone.

He's still a very good player though and that's why I've never wanted him to go to Chelsea.

Salvadora

I'm not sure I would agree with this, especially with the "plenty better" part.

We've been over it before, but United fans attitudes towards Rooney come across as a bit spoilt.

Messi

We've been over it before, but United fans attitudes towards Rooney come across as a bit spoilt.

Hard to get a big game player like Rooney. He could play like shit and still decide the game. He is always dangerous.

I asked you last time if you'd take RVP back and you didn't answer.

I assume the answer is no and I don't think it's cos you're spoilt.

For what it's worth, Rooney is still a very good player when he wants to be. The problem is, he wants to play upfront all the time and he has disrespected the club twice. Fans want loyalty and commitment from the players; no doubt he has shown the latter, but the former? Hell no.

Suen

Just saw this gem from the old thread:

looool

That was Madrid fans dreaming. Carvajal wasn't even close to being the best RB. Piszczek with a fucked up back was miles above him and remember, Lahm actually played RB last season :lol. How can you actually think that Carvajal was the best RB in the league? You don't even need to watch Bundesliga to know that. Top 5 sounds about right.
I should have clarified and said that some people said he was the best RB that season, not the overall best RB in the league but even then that sounds strange yeah.

My only conclusion is that some Madrid fan probably meant to say he was the best spanish RB in the league but then went on to say he was the best in the league to hype him up. Football pls

moon_face_16196_16197_bonnies_boardwalk_originals_markley_440.jpg

pulga

Banned

omg i so hard for you right now

After writing that letter (which Rooney didn't do)?

Yes, because he's an extraordinary player. I would certainly think less of him as a person.
Well, Rooney did the first time round. And he ended up staying. And because he was an extraordinary player people were okay with it and "forgave" him.

But then it happened again. When he wasn't so extraordinary anymore. But instead he spent the summer spinning lies about it.

Anyway, been over this many times before. Rooneys a cunt and I don't care if it makes us weaker, I wish he'd fuck off some place far away. Spoilt, insane, harsh - whichever it is, a lot of people feel that way.

arkon

Imagine if it was Messi doing this. In this hypothetical lala-land let's say he threatened to leave for Real Madrid because he wasn't happy with the quality of signings into Barcelona and the direction it was taking. Once the dust settles he gets a nice new bumper contract out of it. Fast forward a few years and he's not happy again, this time because he's playing second fiddle to a big name signing and apparently wants out to another league rival. Are you telling me there wouldn't be some resentment towards him?

Some fans can look past that and some won't ever forget it. It'll be easier for those to look past it if he's doing the business on the pitch which Rooney wasn't always doing in the last season or so, not to mention the other off-the-field issues.

They'll have to replace him eventually anyway.

Imagine if it was Messi doing this. In this hypothetical lala-land let's say he threatened to leave for Real Madrid because he wasn't happy with the quality of signings into Barcelona and the direction it was taking. Once the dust settles he gets a nice new bumper contract out of it. Fast forward a few years and he's not happy again, this time because he's playing second fiddle to a big name signing and apparently wants out to another league rival. Are you telling me there wouldn't be some resentment towards him?

Some fans can look past that and some won't ever forget it. It'll be easier for those to look past it if he's doing the business on the pitch which Rooney wasn't always doing in the last season or so, not to mention the other off-the-field issues.

They'll have to replace him eventually anyway.
It's hilarious that people can't understand it.

And you know that if the fans still loved him the line would be all about loving a player who wants to fuck off.

It's hilarious that people can't understand it.

And you know that if the fans still loved him the line would be all about loving a player who wants to fuck off.

See, this is why Cole is still hated by Arsenal fans. Grew up in the Arsenal ranks, becomes first-choice LB for club and country, wins trophies, then moves to another club in London because they offered him more money. If he was really loyal as he said he was, he would have stayed. But he's a cunt, so he didn't.

Cunt.

I could say the same for Sol too, I suppose ;)

Batigol

Banned
See, this is why Cole is still hated by Arsenal fans. Grew up in the Arsenal ranks, becomes first-choice LB for club and country, wins trophies, then moves to another club in London because they offered him more money. If he was really loyal as he said he was, he would have stayed. But he's a cunt, so he didn't.

Cunt.

Robbie Savage is also a cunt because he moved to Blackburn from Birmingham to 'be closer to his family' when Blackburn is further away, the bellend

Cunt.

I could say the same for Sol too, I suppose ;)
Loyalty is overrated, especially in Cole`s case. They only offered him 55k/week while we offered 90+.

I couldn't really care less if a player wants to leave but making it public and talking to the media crosses the line. When you actively go out of your way to fuck the club you're leaving then you become a massive cunt.

scently

Lol. Well everyone is entitled to their opinion. Personally, I want Rooney to stay. He is an absolutely wonderful player. Without him we will be in a much worse position than we are in right now, He is one of those players you really can't replace, and they are all too few. I get the anger for what he did yet, this season, he has given all that we can ask of him. He is usually everywhere; from attack to defence and back again. Yet for all this, you get people hurling insult non stop at him. And for all Fergie has done for us, knowing his personality, I wouldn't place all the blame for what transpired last season solely at Rooney. We simply don't know the full story.

If he decides to run down his contract or is sold during the summer then the club moves on but I personally want him to stay. We have been losing quality at this club, without replacing it with equal or better quality and yet so many are advocating that we lose one of the last genuine quality player we have at the club, one that makes us tick more often than not, when Moyes and Woodward have shown that they cannot (yet) attract or complete the transfer of really good players into the club. Look at our team today and look at the 2007/2008 team; enough said.

Mind you, not all players, regardless of how good they are, can fit into our system, case in point; Shinji. We simply don't have the kind of intelligent players and midfield to let him shine. His better performance in the second half of our last game came about not just because he was played in his natural position, but also because a member of our midfield duo (Fletcher) stopped sitting so deep, pushed forward, and was also mobile. A player like Shinji will probably fit like a glove in a team like Arsenal.

Anyway my point is, so long as he is delivering on the field, I have absolutely no problem with him staying on. And until club can prove that it can attract and sign players of similar or better quality, we should not let him go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom