• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT13| Top 15 finish for AC Milan: Sogno Possibile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barzul

Next set of PL games have some crackers:

Southampton vs Arsenal
Spurs vs Man City
Liverpool vs Everton

Those 3 games especially should be great.
God I hope Spurs manage to hold out against City. They'll have no trouble scoring as City's defense is quite leaky, but their attacking prowess is just so intimidating.

Lightning

Banned
God I hope Spurs manage to hold out against City. They'll have no trouble scoring as City's defense is quite leaky, but their attacking prowess is just so intimidating.
I'm not really focused on others games to be honest. As long as we win our games we'll be in a strong position. Southampton are the strongest team outside the top 7 that we'll face and if we can get 3 points here we will be good. I wouldn't put any faith in Spurs, they'll let you down most of the time.

City and Chelsea will drop some points, as we will too, between now and the end of March this could get really interesting.

Hoping for West Brom to put in a performance against Everton tomorrow. If they can draw that one it will be nice.

GHG

EJisFL3.gif

I love the way that Torres and the coach sat in front of him just laugh.

dc89

Hahaha are you shitting me

they paid 5m less for that flop?

Rosell pls

I know City were in for him but at that price....pfft. Our entire transfer spend was near that amount and look at the value we got.

I don't see Neymar with 21 goals already like a certain NegreGod.

And yes, Negredo has had to adapt to a new league too.

Nyx

So it's official, Stoke City's new striker Juan Agudelo will play at Utrecht the rest of this season.

agudelo-3.jpg

Nice I guess, but we need an entire new defence damnit!

TeddyBoy

D:

But witht new plaayyeerrrrssss

Reflecting on our draw at the weekend, I think we need a creative winger. We saw at Hull away and against Villa that when Coutinho has a bad game or doesn't play, we aren't very creative, we're just direct.

Sterling has been doing well for his age, but is part of the problem. I don't watch the Swiss league, but ideally we'd replace Sterling with a creative winger who can score some and create something (the pass before the assist). I really hope Salah is that player.

Salazar

I know City were in for him but at that price....pfft. Our entire transfer spend was near that amount and look at the value we got.

Spurs should have just bought Eriksen and put the rest in a savings account.

Woodward must be feeling a little shellshocked. I mean, Moyes would have anticipated the possibility of becoming a joke/hate figure, but Wooders not so much.

GorillaJu

Reflecting on our draw at the weekend, I think we need a creative winger. We saw at Hull away and against Villa that when Coutinho has a bad game or doesn't play, we aren't very creative, we're just direct.

Sterling has been doing well for his age, but is part of the problem. I don't watch the Swiss league, but ideally we'd replace Sterling with a creative winger who can score some and create something (the pass before the assist). I really hope Salah is that player.

Salah is direct and try-again, not too unlike Walcott. He's not particularly creative that I've seen but he's technically very good.

I wouldn't be too excited about him coming in and making a big impact the same way Micky, Costa or Willian would have. He'd be a long term investment.

Coutinho can pass brilliantly when the pace of the game suits him. What we desperately missed on Sunday was any sort of pace-setting. Wish I knew who our midfield targets are... I'd love to add Jorginho to the ranks but I believe he's off to Napoli.

Barrett also tweeted that as far as he knows the club are not interested (and never have been) in M'Vila.

dc89

Spurs should have just bought Eriksen and put the rest in a savings account.

Woodward must be feeling a little shellshocked. I mean, Moyes would have anticipated the possibility of becoming a joke/hate figure, but Wooders not so much.

Yeah Spurs have wasted a hell of a lot of money. United just need to sign someone, anyone, who can improve that team.

Man United have the same number of points and the same goal difference as Everton did this time last year.

You pay for Moyes and you get Moyes.

I don't think it's sunk in yet - he doesn't realise who he's managing.

Maybe he goes to Carrington and he sees Everton faces on United bodies.

GorillaJu

Aye. But he didn't deserve a pissweak novice as his transfer consigliere and he's been unforgivably let down by the squad.

Neville's analysis of the team on Sky was hilarious. "United was in for Febregas, Thiago, Ronaldo, Bale and Baines. Land those transfers and suddenly the season starts looking different."

Yeah, if only Liverpool had landed all of our transfer targets, throw in a Messi, a Schweinsteiger, an Alves and a Lahm while you're at it... Suddenly Liverpool are the best team in the league! What a surprise!

Carbonox

Laurent Blanc has said that he wants a midfielder this month and that there are other targets along with Cabaye.

Please go for Mata and leave britney alone.

TeddyBoy

Salah is direct and try-again, not too unlike Walcott. He's not particularly creative that I've seen but he's technically very good.

I wouldn't be too excited about him coming in and making a big impact the same way Micky, Costa or Willian would have. He'd be a long term investment.

Coutinho can pass brilliantly when the pace of the game suits him. What we desperately missed on Sunday was any sort of pace-setting. Wish I knew who our midfield targets are... I'd love to add Jorginho to the ranks but I believe he's off to Napoli.

Barrett also tweeted that as far as he knows the club are not interested (and never have been) in M'Vila.

That's sad to hear, I'm not totally convinced we need a Walcott right.

Yeah, we never seemed control the pace on Saturday, but that kind of player will be hard to get.

It doesn't surprise me about M'vila, his attitude is awful.

I don't think it's sunk in yet - he doesn't realise who he's managing.

Maybe he goes to Carrington and he sees Everton faces on United bodies.

It goes both ways sadly. The players turn around and see the former Everton manager and aren't so impressed. They're massively underperforming for him. Very sad to see a lack of professionalism in a lot of them.

Aye. But he didn't deserve a pissweak novice as his transfer consigliere and he's been unforgivably let down by the squad.

Yup. Even if they are a broadly mediocre bunch most of them are massively underperfroming below that mediocre level.

GorillaJu

That's sad to hear, I'm not totally convinced we need a Walcott right.

Yeah, we never seemed control the pace on Saturday, but that kind of player will be hard to get.

It doesn't surprise me about M'vila, his attitude is awful.

I think that Brendan wants a new midfielder or two, he's said that we're looking at a whole raft of players, but deals are just unlikely this winter.

As for creative wide players, that's exactly what Alberto is. He needs some time to develop but he'll be a class wide playmaker.

Salazar

MarriedEarlyGreatwhiteshark.gif

So many things wrong here. Look at the players in the box. Look at the player he is trying to give it to. Look at Fletcher. Look at the space he could run/cross into.

dc89

It goes both ways sadly. The players turn around and see the former Everton manager and aren't so impressed. They're massively underperforming for him. Very sad to see a lack of professionalism in a lot of them.

Yup. Even if they are a broadly mediocre bunch most of them are massively underperfroming below that mediocre level.

I think it was Hoddle on Sky yesterday who said that the senior players at United have to take more responsibility. He remarked about how it happened to him once where the manager said that he could only do so much and the senior players had to sort out the ones who were not giving 100%.

Salazar

I think it was Hoddle on Sky yesterday who said that the senior players at United have to take more responsibility. He remarked about how it happened to him once where the manager said that he could only do so much and the senior players had to sort out the ones who were not giving 100%.

Whereas Hoddle could just ask Eileen.

Lightning

Banned
Evra in particular is playing really spectacularly bad. It's like he doesn't care anymore and is not trying knowing he's leaving at the end of the season regardless.

I really want Moyes to be successful as I think it should be applauded that United gave Moyes the opportunity to manage such a club and provided incentive for other British managers that with hard work they can land a top job at a top club. I really feel Moyes earned this opportunity and I'm so glad United gave it to him and they should be congratulated.

Last summer was a fuck up, I blame Woodward most, but if they correct it this summer it can still work out. In my opinion Gill should have stayed another year I doubt this would have happened if he did then Moyes would have the year to get settled and would be better for it.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Spurs have Man City next? welp.

I'm not so bothered. I don't expect to win but we will be eager to avenge the 6-0, we'll give it a go. Sherwood has shown he can play a 3 man midfield so if we play Sandro we can get something, away from home City are not invincible.

As shit as we were at the Etihad, Lloris cost us a goal after 10 seconds. Another bad kick cost us the second. We didn't play well but we killed the game straight from the first whistle, it was a freakishly bad day. City will create chances but it won't be that easy this time, Vertonghen won't be playing LB for one. Navas destroyed him.

I really don't understand Uniteds current transfer policy. In the summer they were after top, top players like Fabregas and this week Moyes has been spotted at Juventus, Athletico Madrid (who are winning trophies) and PSG. It seems to me they are going after unrealistic targets at teams who are not interested in selling.
IMO they should set there sights a little lower, look for players who are looking to make the next step up in their careers. Players from teams like Porto, Valencia, Schalke and Arsenal who are hungry to move to another league or a team with more chance of winning major trophies.
Right now Utd don't need one huge signing. They need strengthening in 6 or 7 positions and to do that they need to do some real scouting, be astute with their signings. Not put a nonsense bid in for Fabregas or Vidal and go "DERP No ones available" when it gets turned down.

Carbonox

49ers y u let me down

I'm in San Francisco next Sunday and it would have been party central had they made the Superbowl.

NFL post in a Football thread. SORRY NOT SORRY

I really don't understand Uniteds current transfer policy. In the summer they were after top, top players like Fabregas and this week Moyes has been spotted at Juventus, Athletico Madrid (who are winning trophies) and PSG. It seems to me they are going after unrealistic targets at teams who are not interested in selling.
IMO they should set there sights a little lower, look for players who are looking to make the next step up in their careers. Players from teams like Porto, Valencia, Schalke and Arsenal who are hungry to move to another league or a team with more chance of winning major trophies.
Right now Utd don't need one huge signing. They need strengthening in 6 or 7 positions and to do that they need to do some real scouting, be astute with their signings. Not put a nonsense bid in for Fabregas or Vidal and go "DERP No ones available" when it gets turned down.

This will be our entire summer. Just you watch.

It'll be the Arsenal style "Oh look season ticket renewals are due, time to tell everyone how much money we have to spend" then spend nothing.

tbf, a huge part of being a creative winger is having a fullback behind you who's willing to burst past you and offer an incisive pass, or take a player away from you. At the moment, Johnson looks like he genuinely can't be arsed to run forward, which is bizarre. Especially since he and Sterling have showed some real attacking synergy in the past

I kind of want Man Utd to beat Sunderland, since I'd find the final much more entertaining and would still fully expect City to batter their opposition.

Peco

Paratici of the famous Marry & Parry duo was at San Siro yesterday. Rumor is he was scouting Iturbe. Mmmm.

He's good, but are you really going to buy another left footed winger? Berardi is enough.

Tell me Zabo, what's the plan for Boakye?

Ha ha.
Agreed, although a marquee signing would motivate the team.
The way I see it we need a left back, a back up right back, 2 central midfielders (one who can score goals), and a left winger at the very minimum.

Mastadon

Banned
Hm just read that Morata has ruled himself out of a January move. Doesn't seem to be that many options for Arsenal to reinforce their striker options before the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom