• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT13| Top 15 finish for AC Milan: Sogno Possibile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

I really don't understand Uniteds current transfer policy. In the summer they were after top, top players like Fabregas and this week Moyes has been spotted at Juventus, Athletico Madrid (who are winning trophies) and PSG. It seems to me they are going after unrealistic targets at teams who are not interested in selling.
IMO they should set there sights a little lower, look for players who are looking to make the next step up in their careers. Players from teams like Porto, Valencia, Schalke and Arsenal who are hungry to move to another league or a team with more chance of winning major trophies.
Right now Utd don't need one huge signing. They need strengthening in 6 or 7 positions and to do that they need to do some real scouting, be astute with their signings. Not put a nonsense bid in for Fabregas or Vidal and go "DERP No ones available" when it gets turned down.
Nobody knows exactly what is going on at United, but there is speculation that the scouting system is in need of a serious rework. Everything went through Ferguson. Where other teams had in depth databases full of player stats, United had scout reports sent to the manager. Not a bad thing when he was in charge because it was a system which was good for him. But one which needs modernising.

We have good scouts. They've spotted and recommended a lot of players over the years, but our system apparently relies too much on the word of one man, who can obviously get things wrong from time to time. Which is why you hear stories of a United scout saying Isco wasn't good enough for us. Teams have reams of stats and data on players compiled by multiple scouts. That's what Moyes is apparently trying to introduce at United. Getting multiple scouts
looking at the same player in different games. I think it's an attempt to eliminate the human error in our system. This is all just guesswork, but from different media reports and stuff that's been written, I think it's close to the mark.

My guess is that Moyes is going for the big name players because we need proven quality straight away to boost the team. And maybe because he needs time to rework the scouting system before he feels confident in going for the lesser known, relatively unproven players.

pulga

Banned
Supposed breakdown of payments for Neymar:

BeYyNcrIEAALn2m.jpg

Can you translate this? My French is rusty.

N&N Society 40m
Santos FC 17m
3 Santos Players 7.9m
Two friendlies 9m
Father's fee 8.5m
5% commission 2.6m
Transfer downpayment 10m

Barcelona really bent over backwards for the little diving shitstain eh? looool

Clydefrog

I'm not so bothered. I don't expect to win but we will be eager to avenge the 6-0, we'll give it a go. Sherwood has shown he can play a 3 man midfield so if we play Sandro we can get something, away from home City are not invincible.

As shit as we were at the Etihad, Lloris cost us a goal after 10 seconds. Another bad kick cost us the second. We didn't play well but we killed the game straight from the first whistle, it was a freakishly bad day. City will create chances but it won't be that easy this time, Vertonghen won't be playing LB for one. Navas destroyed him.

spurs are the best road team in the league too. man city at home doesn't smell good to me. but i'm optimistic like you are... shit went haywire from the beginning last time we played them. it'll be good to have a "re-do"

expecting a 2-1 loss or something similar

Ashes

Banned
It goes both ways sadly. The players turn around and see the former Everton manager and aren't so impressed. They're massively underperforming for him. Very sad to see a lack of professionalism in a lot of them.

To be fair they had a darn good game last week, and then the manager selected someone coming back from injury, put in a winger whose been out of form, and repeated the same mistake from the first half of last week [ Januzaj up top].

Doesn't instill confidence in the team, if that's the manager's picks - especially when for once, there was a possibility of a team - from the outside looking in - to have been picked by it self. Kagawa up top. Januzaj left. Fletcher and Carrick in the middle.

Having said that, 3-1 is not reflective of how the game went. Our defence was piss poor. As in they really really let in some soft goals.

Not that we created a lot of chances. You're not going to create a lot of chances against Chelsea.

pulga

Banned
Evil Kagawa ‏@evilkagawa 15h
So many chant of "MOYES OUT...MOYES OUT...MOYES OUT...MOYES OUT"

Team bus no usually so noisy!

shinji pls im dead

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Adebayor has now scored as many Premier League goals as Dennis Bergkamp.

That's...mind-blowing.

hornetpie

Neo Member
have you guys seen AVB vs Sherwood stats

honestly, the fact an amatuer (in experience) is tearing strips off AVBs early season performance is a shocking indication as to how poorly AVB ran spurs

adebayor being stuck on the bench is ridiculous

Ushojax

honestly, the fact an amatuer (in experience) is tearing strips off AVBs early season performance is a shocking indication as to how poorly AVB ran spurs

AVB was too much of a robot, he managed the dots on the clipboard whereas Sherwood lets the players enjoy being out there. That's the biggest difference, not the two strikers, Bentaleb, etc. The players seem to enjoy playing football, under AVB they all looked frightened and stressed, especially at home. You need more than that long-term (Sherwood might still show he can do it) but for the moment the players just needed their confidence back.

sohois

No, it really tells us nothing at all about Sherwood. First of all, Sample Size. Second, AVB was already on course for Spurs record points total when he was sacked and I believe he has something like their best win% overall. Sherwood has the typical 'new manager' boost, plus the return from injury of a number of players and no real meaningful data to draw on for his managerial ability. Adebayor is doing well but that is about it.

hornetpie

Neo Member
No, it really tells us nothing at all about Sherwood. First of all, Sample Size. Second, AVB was already on course for Spurs record points total when he was sacked and I believe he has something like their best win% overall. Sherwood has the typical 'new manager' boost, plus the return from injury of a number of players and no real meaningful data to draw on for his managerial ability. Adebayor is doing well but that is about it.

I agree that its to early to draw comparisons between the two tenures as a total but i think it was the Times UK who had a comparison of their first matches in charge and Sherwood is killing it vs AVB

i don't see Tim being the long term answer but there is no doubt the team is playing better

Ushojax

We had scored less than a goal a game under AVB. He wasn't doing everything wrong but he didn't have his priorities right. His system was not producing goals, goals are all that matter. With the greatest respect to Newcastle and West Ham, conceding 4 at home without response is simply embarrassing. Those defeats will cost us in the final shake-up.

The jury is still out on Sherwood but he is getting players to produce and finish chances which AVB was not able to do, he has at least produced some decent football.

John Nicholson's damning article on Moyes

Have to say I broadly agree (although I think he overrates our players a tad).

This is just painful:

[In relation to attracting players] Moyes's supporters would have us believe it was nothing at all to do with how attractive United seemed under a new, unproven manager whose only real touted asset seemed to be to get a club to about sixth or seventh without spending much money (which he's doing again this season). But it must be.

Maybe potential new players all saw that was an irrelevant skillset to United and kept their distance. You can't divorce the prospect of being managed by Moyes from the process of attracting new players, however competent and incompetent your board are. Moyes presence is inseparable to the transfer policy success or failure. On what evidence would a crème-de-la-creme player believe Moyes was worth playing for. What answer would or could they give?'

Oof.

Kiraly

dc you are living the dream man, playing FIFA on PS4 on mondaymorning while all the rest of the country and FootballGAF is at work

Linius

LX0sGCw.png

ibnZAJYv889jkB.gif

1-0 Kolbein Sigthórsson

That assist is pure sex.

ibfKYNS7HQvsAj.gif

Sigthórsson is alive!

iWzxpGKAPVuJz.gif

Hopefully I'll be seeing this a lot more from now on. Klaassen really reads the game, always manages to walk into the right spot and his first touch is great.

iIqEmSQaZnHbQ.gif

And the bonus gif, Boilesen vs. Ruiz

Ashes

Banned
John Nicholson's damning article on Moyes

Have to say I broadly agree (although I think he overrates our players a tad).

This is just painful:

Oof.

Sounds like an enraged fan on five live. Can't say I blame him. Most of his opinions are valid. With the exception of time and patience. But his idea of a pro English manager press is kinda pushing the boat.

Moyes is still in the Champion's league. That's evidence that Moyes can rise above his credentials at Everton.

Talking of Ferguson's influence, Moyes has United hard pressing now.* It was a tactic Ferguson used to good effect against Chelsea a couple of years ago, just before the champion's league final against barcelona, I think.

It worked to disrupt Mourinho, cause Mourinho had no answer to it. It's funny that Mourinho was outthought by Moyes (in my opinion), but still came away with all the plaudits, 3 points, and 3-1, and a hat trick with the striker he chose for that game.

We had more possesion, more passes in the attacking third, and better attacking interplay between our forwards ( admittedly that was due to only two players, namely Januzaj and surprisingly Chicha).

*ps. if he really wants a hard pressing side - which seems to be the modern way; a good and solid central midfielder to get would be Morgan Schneiderlin of Southampton. Admittedly, I'm more interested in getting the right player [supported by evidence), rather than a big personality per say.

dc89

dc you are living the dream man, playing FIFA on PS4 on monday morning while all the rest of the country and FootballGAF is at work

Well there is a lot less PR these days, Pellegrini and his holistic approach is really working. I am on standby however.

Hixx

"Sunderland don't seem to have had much luck this season and that seems to have been typified by reports coming out of Turkey this morning which claim a deal had been struck for Portuguese sensation Bruma, only for the player to suffer a serious knee injury which will keep him out for the rest of the season."

TadkV.gif
TadkV.gif

Why

LOOOOOOOOOOL

Bild say Real Madrid are preparing a £30m bid for Bayern Munich's Thomas Müller.

Ok.

He'd be a pointless signing for them, and an incredible signing for you. Very much doubt he's available though or looking for a move

edit: Wait, does he start still for Bayern, when they have both Robben and Ribery available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom