• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT14| Juan Flew Into The Slug's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

Because they had just sold Cabaye.

In all seriousness, I don't think Tiote is the player for us but ball winning and stifling counter-attacks is an enormous problem for us. Unless Fellaini really steps it up as a DM, I can see why we'd be looking at dedicated DMs.
Give Fellaini the rest of the season before deciding if we need another dm. But we need more than just someone who can break up attacks. If he cant pass the ball then he's worthless.

pappe

The dumbest transfer. I thought the whole point of waiting for the summer is to get the absolute best players? If he wanted someone of Tiote's quality, why not go for him in January as a stop gap solution?

The absolute best players dont wanna play for a 7th placed team :(

You know why we are going after Tiote? He has the ability to pass it to the wings.

Give Fellaini the rest of the season before deciding if we need another dm. But we need more than just someone who can break up attacks. If he cant pass the ball then he's worthless.

Tiote passes the ball and dribbles much better than Jones and at least as well as Clev or Fellaini. He defends at least as well as Jones and defends roughly twice as well as the other two.

Again, I'm not actually advocating buying him but he'd still be a lot more effective/productive than most of our CMs and he's not even that great.

We don't even need to set the bar very high to improve greatly on what we already have.

The absolute best players dont wanna play for a 7th placed team :(

Pirlo_Vidal-e1384774610257.jpg

Because they had just sold Cabaye.

In all seriousness, I don't think Tiote is the player for us but ball winning and stifling counter-attacks is an enormous problem for us. Unless Fellaini really steps it up as a DM, I can see why we'd be looking at dedicated DMs.

Moyes could have gotten him before PSG bought Cabaye.

No Tiote pls

Someone tell Moyes, Pirlo and Vidal are amazing when it comes to passing to the wings.

Milan won the league with Pirlo on the left wing. Allegri

I am still amazed Juve managed to get Vidal after consecutive 7th place finishes and with a new coach, when BM where calling at the time.

Wilbur

Banned
Tiote is a good DM, not sure why Utd fans are turning their noses up.

Because they're following the convenient club mantra of 'world class or nothing'.

Imagine their surprise and probable anger when they end up with nothing again.

No - I've already said I don't like this notion that only the best is good enough when we're happy to play Cleverley and Giggs.

Is Tiote better than we have now? Yes. But he'd cost near 20m, he's a limited player who I don't think would bring anything to our play going forward. He'd be alright at snapping people and winning the ball back, but when he's in possession, he'll just play it to Valencia. I'd rather we focused on getting someone more forward thinking first.

Tiote is a good DM, not sure why Utd fans are turning their noses up.

I feel like I'm in 2012. Everybody on here was making fun of Tiote last season.

He's better than Cleverley. Doesn't mean crap though. United need someone better than Tiote in the summer as we already have Fellaini, Fletcher, and Carrick. How many more decent midfielders do United need? United need quality over quantity right now.

Someone of that quality would be understandable in the January transfer window because United are desperate right now with Fellaini injured, but not in the summer. That is why I wanted United to get Cabaye in January. Not in the world class category of midfielders, but better than what United currently have so United can push for the top 4.

Milan won the league with Pirlo on the left wing. Allegri

I am still amazed Juve managed to get Vidal after consecutive 7th place finishes and with a new coach, when BM where calling at the time.

Not really, since Pirlo was injured for a long time that season, and barely played any match after we bought Van Bommel. I mean, he played 17 games, most of them were in the first part of the season.

pappe

I still think Fellaini is gonna turn out to be a good DM. We just need to give him some time. He was great for Everton in that position and he is also a decent forward passer. On paper he is exactly what we need. He just needs to recapture his form.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
United please listen to me

you don't need CMs, you need better wingers. Or you know, change your fucking gameplan.

and I bet our contract offer was laughable compared to BM.

and Jupp was his former manager

and.....I'll never understand.

WJD

Where's all this Tiote talk even coming from? The fact that he'd be an upgrade on the majority of our midfielders is sad in itself.

No - I've already said I don't like this notion that only the best is good enough when we're happy to play Cleverley and Giggs.

Is Tiote better than we have now? Yes. But he'd cost near 20m, he's a limited player who I don't think would bring anything to our play going forward. He'd be alright at snapping people and winning the ball back, but when he's in possession, he'll just play it to Valencia. I'd rather we focused on getting someone more forward thinking first.

Aye, me too, we need someone who can transition the possession through midfield in an intelligent and quick fashion, and not always out to the wing. Thats one part of midfield's problem, perhaps its biggest.

The other part is teams walking through the centre of our midfield like it doesn't exist. Tiote probably isn;t the player we'd go for (as you say, a bit too limited and too expensive too) but we really need a player that can come in and kick some fucking heads in. Vidal would be lovely and all but it's highly unlikely we'll actually get him.

Not really, since Pirlo was injured for a long time that season, and barely played any match after we bought Van Bommel. I mean, he played 17 games, most of them were in the first part of the season.

I know. Was just letting United fans know he can play there. :)
I actually thought Pirlo played well out there.

Mastadon

Banned

I suppose it depends what you're looking for. In terms of a 'destroyer' type role, Tiote is a good buy. Pair him with a good, creative midfielder who can make those incisive passes and you have the makings of a decent partnership in the middle. There aren't that many players who can contribute to meaningfully to defensive and attacking phases simultaneously.

You really should have just ponied up the cash for Herrera.

Longest current winning streaks in Europe:

1. Celtic - 13
2. Bayern Munich - 11
3. Leicester - 9

One of their top 3 films

Maybe so, but for whatever reason the trailer just did nothing for me. Although this is not just the Coens at fault.

I just think I have no interest in most films anymore which is a strange thing to happen considering how obsessed I used to be with cinema.

I suppose it depends what you're looking for. In terms of a 'destroyer' type role, Tiote is a good buy. Pair him with a good, creative midfielder who can make those incisive passes and you have the makings of a decent partnership in the middle. There aren't that many players who can contribute to meaningfully to defensive and attacking phases simultaneously.

Given his current form I'd have no problem with us going in for Herrera again.

Longest current winning streaks in Europe:

1. Celtic - 13
2. Bayern Munich - 11
3. Leicester - 9

All are joke leagues.

Celtic only play in a 12 team league, BM play in an 18 team league and Leicester are second tier

Wilbur

Banned
Miller's Crossing? Good shout that, tends to be under rated.

I haven't seen Llewyn Davis yet, but my top 3 Coen Brother's movies are:

1. Barton Fink
2. The Big Lebowski
3. A Serious Man

I wasn't massively fond of A Serious Man. Wonderfully made and acted but too much of it went over my head.

Good film, like, but one of their lesser ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom