• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT14| Juan Flew Into The Slug's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we face Germany, i back us 100% Spain 50% and Brazil 0% Brazil are the only team I fear. The only team we have a losing record against, except for a few teams we have played a couple of times.

There is no harder team to beat in the knockout stages of tournaments than us.

Man I am so pumped for it. I can't wait to see who the CT picks for the March friendly. That will surely be our WC squad.

Soviet Union. :)

England will be the surprise of the tournament.

I'd fucking :lol if we Hodge'd our way to the trophy. The salt would keep me sated for decades

Formation against Italy 2 years ago for those who aren't sure how we'll line up

-----------------------------Hart-----------------------------------
----------Johnson-Terry---Lescott-Cole------------------
--------Young---Parker-Gerrard---Milner-----------------
------------------Welbeck---------------------------------------
--------------------------------Rooney---------------------------

---------------------------Buffon--------------------------

We actually played really well in the first 10 minutes, then we retreated further and further until we regularly ended up with 9 players inside our box in open play

And it's not like we prevented Italy from creating numerous chances, or even once hit them on the break. Embarassing performance, doubt there's a person alive deluded enough to think we did enough to potentially win that match.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I am worried about Pirlo in Brazil. I havr been worried since Euro12. He is our most important player and we don't have any real alternatives. Verratti has not seen much game time so far. Pirlo was very average in the confed cup and I am worried about the heat after a long campaign in Italy. I am sure he will be fine for the group stages, but will he have enough to get us to the final.
anything less than total victory will be considered a failure.

Come on, Pirlo was anything but average..

The opening question was obvious: "Do you know who I am?’ I only asked because Arsène Wenger, twice now, has compared Olivier Giroud to my good self. The way he leads the line, holds up the ball with his back to goal – the Arsenal manager sees similarities with a former centre-forward who wore the same colours many years ago.
So did Giroud know his boss had made the comparison?
"No, I didn’t’, he says with slight surprise. "But I do know a little about you. You scored, what was it, 120 goals for Arsenal? And you won the league in 1989."
I had to be impressed with that kind of knowledge from a 27 year-old Frenchman barely out of nappies when Arsenal won the title in that showdown with Liverpool. And funnily enough, the 25th anniversary of that dramatic night at Anfield comes around in May, a fact that adds a certain nostalgia to the glaring importance of Arsenal's visit on Saturday.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/10624478/Arsenals-Olivier-Giroud-tells-his-predecessor-Alan-Smith-how-he-wants-to-be-remembered-at-the-Emirates.html

Pretty good article Arsenal GAF.

I've rarely seen a correct opinion from shanks :lol

I watched every minute of the confed cup and he was sloppy and tired looking. I don't bum players just because they play for my favourite team. I call it how I see it.

Pirlo is a 34 year old who has played a lot of football over the last 3 years and is expected to carry the national team in the summer in the fucking Amazon. Pirlo is not use to playing in that type of heat. Fuck even the Brazilians couldn't perform in the heat of the 94 final.

BM showed how to handle Pirlo last year. All you have to do is rush him and put pressure on him and he will give away the ball. It is a genuine concern when he is so important to our style of play.

I love Pirlo and the national team owes him a lot, but he is the biggest liability going into the tournament. If he gets injured or does not perform there is not really any plan B.

Sort it out? You guys got smashed by Russia 3-0 last time we played. I fear what would happen to Italy if Konoplyanka, Yarmolenko and Mkhitaryan were added to the mix.

That game sums up why Prandelli has been so good for us. he knows that friendlies are there to test players and formations. I was fucking fuming whilst watching that game, but a couple of weeks later we were clicking so nicely in the first game against Spain. I fully expect us to get beat against Spain in March and do average in our world cup warm ups.

I love Pirlo and the national team owes him a lot, but he is the biggest liability going into the tournament. If he gets injured or does not perform there is not really any plan B.

But Prandelli already has a plan b:

aquilani1.jpg

After that hat trick you know he's coming.

We'll play like that against every big side.

HITCHY

If you were going to the World Cup now, who would you take?

Tough one. Am I allowed Terry?

GK: Hart, Foster, fuck knows

CB: Terry, Jagielka, Cahill, Jones
RB: Johnson, Walker
LB: Baines, Cole

DM: Barry, Gerrard
CM: Wilshere, Barkley, Henderson

LW: Welbeck
RW: Sterling, Johnson

CF: Rooney, Sturridge, Rodriguez

Squad breakdown for versatility (*=last resort, bold=starter):

GK: Hart, Foster, fuck knows
CB: Terry, Cahill, Jagielka, Jones
RB: Johnson, Walker, Jones*, Henderson*
LB: Baines, Cole, Johnson
DM: Barry, Gerrard, Henderson
CM: Gerrard, Wilshere, Henderson, Barkley
LW: Welbeck, Sterling, Milner, Johnson
RW: Johnson, Sterling, Milner, Welbeck
CF: Rooney, Sturridge, Rodriguez, Welbeck*

Few points:

1) 4-4-2 isn't great and I have massive question marks over that CM's ability to cover for 2 strikers
2) Shocking depth on the wings, not comfortable with any of them, especially if A. Johnson goes back to previous form
3) I'd start Baines, expect Cole to start though
4) No room for Llalana in a 4-4-2, happy for 3Sixty to call me a twat and tell me he plays in CM or as a traditional winger quite a lot
5) If Terry isn't there, Jagielka and Cahill at the back, Smalling 4th choice
6) Shocking depth at GK as well
7) Walker for Johnson if he doesn't get some form back between now and then

I'll be honest, if I didn't have a vested interest in Sturridge player, I'd go 4-2-3-1, drop Sturridge, and put Wilshere in. Maybe put Sturridge in an inside forward role and drop Welbeck. Would require a lot of coaching though, being defensively astute doesn't come naturally to him as it does with Welbeck, and Sturridge hasn't exactly impressed for England, as good as he's been for us.

Danchi

Soviet Union. :)

I wish Putin would hurry up and reform the union so we can put sort that out.

I'm struggling to come up with a modern Soviet Union national team. Akinfeev in goal seems obvious. Yarmolenko and Konoplyanka on the wings, Ahmedov as the holding midfielder next to Mkhitaryan with Dzagoev as the no. 10. Kerzhakov upfront (or Movsisyan?)?

I'm drawing a blank for the entire back-line. Zhirkov at left-back?

edit: Does Denisov still play international football?

Idea: The squads should have 24 players, but you can only use the extra player if he's a goalkeeper

Having to waste 3 places as an insurance policy for one position with no versatility feels bad

Good read, I really like Giroud and his confidence. The stats are good, but the way he plays up front just can't be quantified.

Also Alan Smith will always be one of my favourite Arsenal players. The 89 Anfield VHS was one of my most watched videos.

But Prandelli already has a plan b:

aquilani1.jpg

After that hat trick you know he's coming.

What a nasty thought, I might send Prandelli some money to afford the flight to Paris.

subtles

I'm surprised Alex McCarthy is still at Reading.....

That performance at Anfield.

The bullet he caught in the air.

Anyone know how he's been doing since? Newcastle appear to be in for him.

I'm surprised Alex McCarthy is still at Reading.....

That performance at Anfield.

The bullet he caught in the air.

Anyone know how he's been doing since? Newcastle appear to be in for him.

That fucking shot that I thought was going in, then I expected it to be going back into the danger area or around the post/over the bar, and it took a few seconds to realise he'd caught the fucking thing. What a cunt.

Linius

Lol, Nissan on the phone just now. If we're coming over to buy a new Qashqai.

Sure Nissan, I'll order two right away. Car dealers these days :p

Wilbur

Banned
Tough one. Am I allowed Terry?

GK: Hart, Foster, fuck knows 3

Joe Hart, Fraser Forster, Ben Foster

Ruddy potentially, but Norwich let in a ton of goals and I think despite troubles concentrating Foster is the better goal keeper. Other two are automatic first choices.

CB: Terry, Jagielka, Cahill, Jones
RB: Johnson, Walker
LB: Baines, Cole

Kyle Walker, Nathaniel Clyne, Phil Jones, Gary Cahill, Phil Jagielka, John Terry, Leighton Baines, Ashley Cole

Johnson's had a terrible year, Clyne's had a brilliant one (isn't Johnson injured for it? Might prefer him if not). I'd absolutely love Terry to come back because he's been the best defender in the country this season but it's likely to be Smalling. Gibbs has had a great year (as has Shaw) but I think for this World Cup, bring Cole for experience and then move on after.

DM: Barry, Gerrard
CM: Wilshere, Barkley, Henderson

Michael Carrick, Steven Gerrard, Gareth Barry, Jordan Henderson, Jack Wilshere, Adam Lallana

Same for Carrick, Gerrard and Barry; a lack of better younger players means you might as well bring them. Plus Barry in particular's had a great year. Maybe you could make a case for Lampard as late sub to bring on.

LW: Welbeck
RW: Sterling, Johnson

CF: Rooney, Sturridge, Rodriguez

Adam Johnson, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Danny Welbeck, Andy Carroll

Shame Walcott's out; it then comes down to Sterling, Rodriguez, Ox or to pack midfield with Barkley or Lampard. If I was picking right now I'd go with Rodriguez.

Few points:

1) 4-4-2 isn't great and I have massive question marks over that CM's ability to cover for 2 strikers
2) Shocking depth on the wings, not comfortable with any of them, especially if A. Johnson goes back to previous form
3) I'd start Baines, expect Cole to start though
4) No room for Llalana in a 4-4-2, happy for 3Sixty to call me a twat and tell me he plays in CM or as a traditional winger quite a lot
5) If Terry isn't there, Jagielka and Cahill at the back, Smalling 4th choice
6) Shocking depth at GK as well
7) Walker for Johnson if he doesn't get some form back between now and then

1) 4-4-2 is an absolutely fine formation... if you have CMs with the quality of Toure and Fernandinho. Unfortunately, England don't.
2) Agreed.
3) Agreed, Cole's not played much recently.
4) I'd bring him anyway because he can play wide and would be good if we go for a 4-3-3
5) Like I say above, agreed
6) Hart's looked alright recently, which is something
7) I'd start Walker anyway, much more assured defensively this season.

I think we'll see one of two things more often than not, and the other the rest of the time:

Welbeck and Lallana (or god forbid Milner) wide with Wilshere behind Rooney

Welbeck and Wilshere (or god forbid Milner) wide with Rooney behind Sturridge

I'm struggling to come up with a modern Soviet Union national team. Akinfeev in goal seems obvious. Yarmolenko and Konoplyanka on the wings, Ahmedov as the holding midfielder next to Mkhitaryan with Dzagoev as the no. 10. Kerzhakov upfront (or Movsisyan?)?

I'm drawing a blank for the entire back-line. Zhirkov at left-back?

edit: Does Denisov still play international football?

--------------------------Akinfeev---------------------------
Kozlov-----Berezutski---Ignashevich----Kombarov
---------------------Shirokov---Dzagoev-----------------
Yarmolenko-------Mkhitaryan-------Konoplyanka
---------------------------Kokorin---------------------------

Dzagoev has been playing holding midfielder for CSKA this season. Capello likes him there as well.

Denisov is Russia's captain so he's not retired yet. But Glushakov seems to be preferred by Capello over him these days.

For striker, Movsisyan is better than Kerzhakov for sure but Kokorin is way better than both. Koko will save us in Brazil.

ArsenalGAF, Arteta-OX, Arteta-Wilshere, Wilshere-Ox???

I want to see Wilshere-OX starting, but with a huge month it is most likely best if Wilshere only comes on as a sub in the second half.

Arteta is a bore to watch, but is the best player to have in controlling a game. I would also like to see Padolski starting again. He is our best player on the counter and was so important in the game at Anfield last season. Liverpool will most likely dominate possession so we need to hit them on the counter whenever we can.

I am so happy that this is the first game of the weekend. Was worried I would have to wait till Sunday.

Joe Hart, Fraser Forster, Ben Foster

Ruddy potentially, but Norwich let in a ton of goals and I think despite troubles concentrating Foster is the better goal keeper. Other two are automatic first choices.

Kyle Walker, Nathaniel Clyne, Phil Jones, Gary Cahill, Phil Jagielka, John Terry, Leighton Baines, Ashley Cole

Johnson's had a terrible year, Clyne's had a brilliant one (isn't Johnson injured for it? Might prefer him if not). I'd absolutely love Terry to come back because he's been the best defender in the country this season but it's likely to be Smalling. Gibbs has had a great year (as has Shaw) but I think for this World Cup, bring Cole for experience and then move on after.

Michael Carrick, Steven Gerrard, Gareth Barry, Jordan Henderson, Jack Wilshere, Adam Lallana

Same for Carrick, Gerrard and Barry; a lack of better younger players means you might as well bring them. Plus Barry in particular's had a great year. Maybe you could make a case for Lampard as late sub to bring on.

Adam Johnson, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Danny Welbeck, Andy Carroll

Shame Walcott's out; it then comes down to Sterling, Rodriguez, Ox or to pack midfield with Barkley or Lampard. If I was picking right now I'd go with Rodriguez.

1) 4-4-2 is an absolutely fine formation... if you have CMs with the quality of Toure and Fernandinho. Unfortunately, England don't.
2) Agreed.
3) Agreed, Cole's not played much recently.
4) I'd bring him anyway because he can play wide and would be good if we go for a 4-3-3
5) Like I say above, agreed
6) Hart's looked alright recently, which is something
7) I'd start Walker anyway, much more assured defensively this season.

I think we'll see one of two things more often than not, and the other the rest of the time:

Welbeck and Lallana (or god forbid Milner) wide with Wilshere behind Rooney

Welbeck and Wilshere (or god forbid Milner) wide with Rooney behind Sturridge

As always when I do these, I completely forgot that a few of them existed, specifically, Clyne, Carrick, and Ox. Agreed that Forster should go (by default, do one Sage).

Johnson will be back in a week according to Godgers, injury was feared to be the worst since he's been carrying it for ages and B-Rod never put an estimate on the recovery time

Shaw just misses out because of his lack of experience at this level compared to Cole. Kind of don't want Carroll to go as you just know he and Milner will be Hodgson's 60th minute double-sub, for Milner to act as auxilary ineffective fullback, and the ball tobe pumped up top for 30 minutes.

For me, Milner is basically the last resort if we're struggling to hold onto a 1-goal lead, creating nothing anyway and getting smashed on the wings.

Using him with a view to scoring is insanity

GQman2121

Banned
Vitesse are starting Bertrand Traore, Piazon, Atsu, and Pat van Aanholt against Den Haag today. It's the first time all four of our players will start together for them. I might tune in.

confuziz

Banned
----------------------------Courtois-----------------------------
V.D Wiel---Kompany---Vertonghen---Emanuelson
---------------------------Fellaini------------------------------
-----------------Sneijder------------Strootman---------------
Robben----------------------RVP-------------Hazard--------

Pfft

-------------------English-------------------

English--English--English--English

--------------English------------------------
-----------------------English---------------

--English--------------------------Bale--

--------------English------------------------
-------------------------English------------

Clydefrog

wtf I thought Hazard was Belgian

Those Belgians with their choking DNA will only hold you guys back.

Danchi

--------------------------Akinfeev---------------------------
Kozlov-----Berezutski---Ignashevich----Kombarov
---------------------Shirokov---Dzagoev-----------------
Yarmolenko-------Mkhitaryan-------Konoplyanka
---------------------------Kokorin---------------------------

Dzagoev has been playing holding midfielder for CSKA this season. Capello likes him there as well.

Denisov is Russia's captain so he's not retired yet. But Glushakov seems to be preferred by Capello over him these days.

For striker, Movsisyan is better than Kerzhakov for sure but Kokorin is way better than both. Koko will save us in Brazil.

Ahh, I only really see these guys in the international tournaments so my knowledge is pretty out of date. I only know of Kokorin (since the big move to Anzhi and back again) and I've never seem him to play.

How has Ahmedov played over the past couple of seasons? He's still at Anzhi even after the firesale so does that mean no-one wanted him?

Danchi

I want to see Wilshere-OX starting, but with a huge month it is most likely best if Wilshere only comes on as a sub in the second half.

Arteta is a bore to watch, but is the best player to have in controlling a game. I would also like to see Padolski starting again. He is our best player on the counter and was so important in the game at Anfield last season. Liverpool will most likely dominate possession so we need to hit them on the counter whenever we can.

I am so happy that this is the first game of the weekend. Was worried I would have to wait till Sunday.

I might be alone in this, but I didn't think much of Ox's output in the Palace game. Sure, he scored two goals, but apart from that the only think I remember him doing was misplacing some real simple passes. Maybe I wasn't fully concentrating or something.

I'd like to see Arteta and either Rosicky or Wilshire in the middle with Ox playing on the wing. I'd like to see some pace on at least one of the wings because I think Liverpool have real issues at fullback.

Barzul

Wilshere-Arteta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom