• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT14| Juan Flew Into The Slug's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do too but i get called an idiot when i say he deserves to be sacked.

I think it's because everyone knows he's not going to get sacked so it's pointless. I don't give a shit anymore though.

itPp6hrRnyN12.gif

WJD

Besides the horse and I, who else hates Moyes?

I'm teetering very close to that edge now. Have been willing to give him time throughout the season, expecting some kind of evolution or fucking direction in our play but so far there's been nothing. As much as I'd like to give him a decent transfer window to really prove himself, I still think he'd have fucking Vidal and Gundogan playing the same way Carrick and Cleverley have been. Jurassic Park at its most dangerous.

Nice one!

Cheers!

Salazar

I've slagged off other managers far too often to defend Moyes. And I'm not inclined to defend him on the basis that he's Manchester United's manager. There's no umbrella of identification under which folks can get away with garbage. Giggs is a piece of whatever tissue is subordinate to the rectum. Rooney is a parasite only pulga could love. Many of our players aren't good enough, and some are actively poor.

"I don't know what we have to do to win games" is something I would expect to hear from some gin-sodden non-league fucker who is only manager because he owns a bus. And even he would say it under his breath.

To the fucking cameras ? In the middle of a season ?

The fuck is wrong with him. The thin streak of sputum he talks about luck is bad enough, but those words, in that pusillanimous fucking order, are inexcusable.

Ashes

Banned
I don't hate Moyes. He's got balls of steel. He is one stubborn git though. 4-4-1-1 is what got us to the top. & he is determined to play it till his players get it right it seems. Infinitely more patient than what I gave him credit for.

Doesn't change the fact he got the tactics wrong. Wellbeck isn't coming on next time, that's for sure.

I think it's because everyone knows he's not going to get sacked so it's pointless. I don't give a shit anymore though.

itPp6hrRnyN12.gif

I'm teetering very close to that edge now. Have been willing to give him time throughout the season, expecting some kind of evolution or fucking direction in our play but so far there's been nothing. As much as I'd like to give him a decent transfer window to really prove himself, I still think he'd have fucking Vidal and Gundogan playing the same way Carrick and Cleverley have been. Jurassic Park at its most dangerous.

Going to quote a further article by Football365 here:

"What has Moyes done to deserve such self-harming patience from his employers? He inherited several problems from Sir Alex Ferguson, of that there is no doubt, but the transition should not have been this troubled. That the manager continues to praise below-par performances while failing to alter his approach reinforces the belief that he is out of his depth. Moyes is not a terrible manager - far from it - but there was no evidence to promote him to this level and there is no evidence to support another five-and-a-half years of his reign.

Five defeats in eight matches in 2014, including a semi-final exit to Sunderland, is simply unacceptable. One wonders whether Manuel Pellegrini or Jose Mourinho would still be in their jobs had they experienced similar starts this season, but the main problem at United is that they lack an understanding of how to proceed in such fraught situations.

Preaching stability may sound admirable and the right thing to do, but it is a flawed outlook. Various club alumni have claimed that United stand by their managers and give them a fair crack of the whip, but it is easy to say that in the afterglow of one of the finest managers the game has ever seen. Would Ferguson have enjoyed 27 years in charge had he not been so successful? Of course not.

Ferguson was and still is United's identity, such was his force of personality that shaped the club during his tenure. It is impossible to extricate his influence in the short-term, regardless of his new role as club ambassador and whether he attends matches or not. This is the reason United are seemingly unwilling to consider Moyes' position, even if he steers them outside the Champions League and along this course long into the next season. United simply don't know what they are supposed to do, and maintaining the status quo is seen as the right approach because the last manager turned out to be pretty bloody good. But the last manager didn't take over the champions."

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Jesus. Christ.

Vidal's goalscoring is spectacular considering his position, but it's fucking nothing compared to your ability to not only miss the point, but latch onto a completely different one and delude yourself into thinking its an attack on one of your teams

17 goals

more than:

Lewy
Mandzukic
Falcao
Cavani
everyone in the Bundesliga
Sturridge
Aguero
Messi (everyone in La Liga except for Ronaldo and Costa)

please

you're moving the goalposts

just give up

don't, this is too funny

pulga

Banned
Rooney is a parasite only pulga could love.

164d263f_ibxFWGla38dwbC.gif

Let me be clear once and for all: I have not a single shred of affection for the inbred troll, I just found it hilarious how you lot and your sinking boat could ever wanted to throw him out knowing the water is quickly rising.

WJD

Going to quote a further article by Football365 here:

"What has Moyes done to deserve such self-harming patience from his employers? He inherited several problems from Sir Alex Ferguson, of that there is no doubt, but the transition should not have been this troubled. That the manager continues to praise below-par performances while failing to alter his approach reinforces the belief that he is out of his depth. Moyes is not a terrible manager - far from it - but there was no evidence to promote him to this level and there is no evidence to support another five-and-a-half years of his reign.

Five defeats in eight matches in 2014, including a semi-final exit to Sunderland, is simply unacceptable. One wonders whether Manuel Pellegrini or Jose Mourinho would still be in their jobs had they experienced similar starts this season, but the main problem at United is that they lack an understanding of how to proceed in such fraught situations.

Preaching stability may sound admirable and the right thing to do, but it is a flawed outlook. Various club alumni have claimed that United stand by their managers and give them a fair crack of the whip, but it is easy to say that in the afterglow of one of the finest managers the game has ever seen. Would Ferguson have enjoyed 27 years in charge had he not been so successful? Of course not.

Ferguson was and still is United's identity, such was his force of personality that shaped the club during his tenure. It is impossible to extricate his influence in the short-term, regardless of his new role as club ambassador and whether he attends matches or not. This is the reason United are seemingly unwilling to consider Moyes' position, even if he steers them outside the Champions League and along this course long into the next season. United simply don't know what they are supposed to do, and maintaining the status quo is seen as the right approach because the last manager turned out to be pretty bloody good. But the last manager didn't take over the champions."

Might be dc'ing here, but I thought this was a great take on it:

http://strettynews.com/a-new-unacceptable-low/
I tweeted as far back as the league game at the Stadium of Light that Moyes had dismantled Manchester United (the team as opposed to the club). It was a pale imitation even of the unbalanced side that he had inherited. The tactical awareness, belief, variation and just plain competence was disappearing, along with confidence, from my football team in front of my eyes. That process has continued to far greater depths than any of us could have imagined. My fear now is how low this road can lead us. The manager has no answers. If he did he would have applied them by now. I cannot believe, behind all of the briefings to journalists that Moyes’ job is not under threat and that he will have time; that the Glazers are not seriously considering their options. If they aren’t then I can only shake my head. Forget league position. In purely financial terms, the language they truly understand, their asset is depreciating before their eyes. In seven months we have gone from perpetual winners to serial losers. A laughing stock. My friends don’t take the p*ss any more. I just get disbelieving texts asking how on earth this is being allowed to go on. At full time today the first I received read, “Outwitted by Mark Hughes. Good lord.” In the context of previous discussions we have had this wasn’t an attempt to wind me up. It was simply a head shaking recognition that a new, unimaginable low had been achieved. At Cardiff, Wilfried Zaha, totally excluded at United, was ripping Norwich apart and setting up both of his new club’s goals. It summed up a terrible day. That is where we are. Without change God only knows where it will all end.

Might be dc'ing here, but I thought this was a great take on it:

http://strettynews.com/a-new-unacceptable-low/

Yeah I saw that one and agree with it too.

The trouble is, the board needs to have some fucking balls about this. They need to step out of Fergie's shadow and say enough is enough.

Fergie was great at a lot of things but that doesn't make all of his decisions infallible. Picking managerial successors isn't one of his skills it seems and with hindsight he should never have been allowed to make that decision.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I wonder if Moyes feels too safe in his position and whether this is a good thing, Alex was almost sacked when he came in, if results had not gone differently he wouldnt be a club legend, Moyes has no pressure on him to succeed therefore no impetus to change anything before the summer. The players aswell, he has openly talked about letting alot go in the summer, you can see Evra doesnt give a shit, id be surprised if Cleverly did either to be honest, unless they are completely unaware of how terrible they are.

scently

And how did you reply? Hint* you should have called the person a bigger idiot. You have a right to express your opinion.

Anyway i think Moyes should be sacked and the whole back room staff chased away. This insistence on rigid wing play formation is ridiculous. Try something else for God's sake. We have alot of attacking midfielders/No10s yet we don't use them properly. Chelsea, Man city, and especially Arsenal deploy 3 typical No 10s behind the main striker and they get it to work very well for them. We have Rooney, Mata, Januzaj and Shinji, yet the coaching staff can't get them on the pitch working together, all because we must have a winger or two in the side. We insist on this even though said wingers are so bad they won't even start in lower clubs.

Then there is Cleverley who is so useless that i don't understand why he is starting while Fletcher is on the bench.

Any formation that allows us to deploy the best of our attacking talents like; 4-2-3-1 with a combination of Mata, Rooney, and Januzaj/Shinji, or 4-3-1-2, with a midfield trio of Carrick, Felliani, and Fletcher, with Mata behind RVP and Rooney would be better than instisting on 4-4-1-1/4-4-2 even though its not working.....

I think Moyes should not have been appointed in the first place. He is Ferguson-lite, except without the redeeming qualities/characteristics that Ferguson had.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Adnan hasnt started since Mata came in :|

I dislike this trend of benching our best player and not even using our new player to his full potential.

Mastadon

Banned
I think Moyes is doing a fine job personally. He nearly won Manager of the Month in December, what more do you want?

It's been referred to before, but this is basically the same situation as when Hodgson took over at Liverpool. A mediocre manager with limited tactical awareness being asked to take over a huge club is a recipe for disaster. The Liverpool fans went through the same pain that you guys are now, trying to balance the desire to be fair and not become a 'sacking' club against the growing realisation that this isn't the man to lead you forward.

Sacking Hodgson was the best thing we could have done, and I think sooner or later, United will have to arrive at a similar conclusion.

164d263f_ibxFWGla38dwbC.gif

Let me be clear once and for all: I have not a single shred of affection for the inbred troll.

Oh please. You love that fat cunt.

Don't let time (wind) move your original feelings (ball).

ij1jn8yZhv623.gif

I dislike this trend of benching our best player and not even using our new player to his full potential.

As much as we hate Young, it was fair that he got more playing time after he played well. I only hope Moyes is more consistent with rewarding a player after a great performance. Shinji played well against Swansea and was then dropped for the following match. It's clear who his favorites are.

Adnan will get plenty of games in the following three months.

BTW, remember when I said I preferred Adnan on the right? Here is how I feel he plays on each wing.

The yellow lines are passes. The black lines stand for movement.

I am starting to. There is no excuse for the current form. Someone posted that depressing chart with Evertons performance from last year, and ours from this. All that has to be said. He is dragging this team down.

Going from 11 points between us and the 2nd placed, to being a mid table performer - I mean Fergie is a brilliant manager but he is no wizard. This team is not THAT awful as it is made to be
as excuse for Moyes shitty decisions

Mr Cola

I think Moyes is doing a fine job personally. He nearly won Manager of the Month in December, what more do you want?

It's been referred to before, but this is basically the same situation as when Hodgson took over at Liverpool. A mediocre manager with limited tactical awareness being asked to take over a huge club is a recipe for disaster. The Liverpool fans went through the same pain that you guys are now, trying to balance the desire to be fair and not become a 'sacking' club against the growing realisation that this isn't the man to lead you forward.

Sacking Hodgson was the best thing we could have done, and I think sooner or later, United will have to arrive at a similar conclusion.

All I want in the next 5 months is to see a change in playstyle, I want new ideas, if we are stuck playing the same uninspired dross then I cant make a case for him going forward, new players are pointless if you are just going to stick to the same damn system and not utilise them properly.

Mastadon

Banned
All I want in the next 5 months is to see a change in playstyle, I want new ideas, if we are stuck playing the same uninspired dross then I cant make a case for him going forward, new players are pointless if you are just going to stick to the same damn system and not utilise them properly.

But surely if he could have changed his system, he would have done it already? I don't think he knows what else to do.

WJD

This will only bother me if from this point on he isn't starting; I can understand wanting to give him a bit of a rest against Cardiff, and then Young scored and played moderately well (like, pushing a 7/10) so that, coupled with the fact Stoke are a bunch of thugs makes Young's inclusion against them at least justifiable if not especially exciting.

No fucking excuses to play either Young or Valencia against Fulham though. It's fucking Fulham at home. Play our best bloody players.

Aye, just as long as we don't get a Dalglish afterwards.

GHG

And how did you reply? Hint* you should have called the person a bigger idiot. You have a right to express your opinion.

Anyway i think Moyes should be sacked and the whole back room staff chased away. This insistence on rigid wing play formation is ridiculous. Try something else for God's sake. We have alot of attacking midfielders/No10s yet we don't use them properly. Chelsea, Man city, and especially Arsenal deploy 3 typical No 10s behind the main striker and they get it to work very well for them. We have Rooney, Mata, Januzaj and Shinji, yet the coaching staff can't get them on the pitch working together, all because we must have a winger or two in the side. We insist on this even though said wingers are so bad they won't even start in lower clubs.

Then there is Cleverley who is so useless that i don't understand why he is starting while Fletcher is on the bench.

Any formation that allows us to deploy the best of our attacking talents like; 4-2-3-1 with a combination of Mata, Rooney, and Januzaj/Shinji, or 4-3-1-2, with a midfield trio of Carrick, Felliani, and Fletcher, with Mata behind RVP and Rooney would be better than instisting on 4-4-1-1/4-4-2 even though its not working.....

I think Moyes should not have been appointed in the first place. He is Ferguson-lite, except without the redeeming qualities/characteristics that Ferguson had.

This is the thing I don't understand the most... Its the absolute tactical inflexibility that is actually preventing him from getting the most out of your squad. A combiniation of Mata, Kagawa/Januzaj and Rooney behind RVP would be the most exciting and creative line-up that you guys could field but its like he doesn't understand that you don't have to have traditional wingers on a football pitch. His tactics are so outdated and inflexible its painful.

We have "traditional" wingers in our squad as well in Theo and Podolski but Wenger, to his credit, has actually been quite flexible this season in deploying different tactics in different games and at different times of games.

The main issue I've seen in your games this year is that you don't create enough good chances. That will continue if you are instistant on traditional wingplay with shit wingers and a bunch of strikers who aren't Van Nistelrooy.

bud

Well he did well for half a season, and he handled the whole Suarez racism incident extremely well.

K7cSY5e.png

this is one the most perplexing images i've ever seen. the manager of one of the world's biggest clubs is conducting a post-match interview in... a white t-shirt. there's tony pulis wearing a cap, tracking suit, and trainers... and then there's this.

Feorax

I still believe we should have won yesterday, but the more I think about the result, the less disheartened I am.

We've taken 4 pts from WBA when we took 0 last season, and their record against the current top 7 isn't exactly horiffic;

BfftcaMCUAA0S8F.png:large

Only City have a chance of taking more points than us this season against WBA.

GorillaJu

I still believe we should have won yesterday, but the more I think about the result, the less disheartened I am.

We've taken 4 pts from WBA when we took 0 last season, and their record against the current top 7 isn't exactly horiffic;

It's the manner of the goal we conceded that stings.

L1NETT

Right then La Liga peeps, we have a one Christian Fernandez Salas on trial and apparently he is ex Almeria and Racing Santander (isn't that a bank?).

If you have heard of him (fair play if you have) what's he like

Because judging by his name he's the shit.

tri_willy

would have been ideal to get the 3 points off wba given we have arsenal next. how we try to bounce back against arsenal is going to be really telling of how we fare come towards end of season. also need vengeance against city n chelsea later on

GHG

How long before he posts something like this?:

"This is an update for the fans about my current situation. I have kept quiet all this time out of respect and loyalty for the club and as agreed with Mr Woodward and Mr Moyes, but since there is so much speculation in the media, I think it is fair for you guys to know what's really going on at the moment.

I had a meeting with the boss and Mr Woodward after the season. This was a meeting about the club's future strategy and their policy. Financial terms or a contract have not been discussed, since that is not my priority at all.

"I personally have had a great season but my goal has been to win trophies with the team and to bring the club back to its glory days. Out of my huge respect for Mr Moyes, the players and the fans I don't want to go into any details, but unfortunately in this meeting it has again become clear to me that we in many aspects disagree on the way Manchester United should move forward."

This is the thing I don't understand the most... Its the absolute tactical inflexibility that is actually preventing him from getting the most out of your squad. A combiniation of Mata, Kagawa/Januzaj and Rooney behind RVP would be the most exciting and creative line-up that you guys could field but its like he doesn't understand that you don't have to have traditional wingers on a football pitch. His tactics are so outdated and inflexible its painful.

We have "traditional" wingers in our squad as well in Theo and Podolski but Wenger, to his credit, has actually been quite flexible this season in deploying different tactics in different games and at different times of games.

The main issue I've seen in your games this year is that you don't create enough good chances. That will continue if you are instistant on traditional wingplay with shit wingers and a bunch of strikers who aren't Van Nistelrooy.
Seriously, with RVP and Rooney, and now with Mata, we shouldn't even have an issue with how shitty the rest of the team is or might be.

At this point of the season last year, we had 2 more goals conceded after 24 games than this, 31 to 29.

However, we also had 59 goals scored, compared to just 39 right now. 20 goals less scored.

Elchele

17 goals

more than:

Lewy
Mandzukic
Falcao
Cavani
everyone in the Bundesliga
Sturridge
Aguero
Messi (everyone in La Liga except for Ronaldo and Costa)

please

you're moving the goalposts

just give up

don't, this is too funny

Serie A is a joke

just kidding yurt :)

Mastadon

Banned
If it were any other of the top teams I'd feel a lot more confident, but we seem to have a strange mental block when it comes to Arsenal. It's like how they can't seem to beat Man Utd.

It would be typical of us to bounce back with a brilliant win after such a disheartening draw though, so who knows?

God I hope Sakho is fit.

pappe

But surely if he could have changed his system, he would have done it already? I don't think he knows what else to do.

This. Moyes is a good manager but he is very limited. There is a reason he did not win anything at Everton and he has never managed to beat a top 4 side away.

But most importantly I think he just lacks the BALLS to manage a top 4 side. Moyes is just trying to play it safe and go with what he knows best and that is a rigid wing play but clearly that is not working and the plan that he has relied on for years at Everton is not working so he is left scratching his balls wondering what to do next.

He gave the impression during the past week that he is looking to shake up the whole team by making bold statements. but then he went ahead and started Cleverley and Young who have been the worst players for us this season.

He has sent out Fabio out of the club when we need as many men in that position because Evra and Buttner are not reliable. But he does not have the balls to hook Evra out of the game. He tells Shinji to fuck off at half time when he has put a good performance in maybe coz Shinji is an easy target. He insists on starting Smalling at RB even though he is horrible with the ball at his feet and makes Rafael sit on the bench because Smalling is a slightly better at defending than Rafael and he is afraid the opposition will score from the wings when both Evra and Rafael push up the pitch.

Not every problem of our is because our midfield is weak. Please stop giving out more excuses to Moyes. Our midfield can still work if we maintain possession better but the tactic to whip in cross after cross makes it diffcult to have prolonged periods of pressure on the opposition as they are able to relax once the ball is cleared and can re organize. With players like Mata, adnan RVP Rooney and Shinji he does not need to do much just pump them up and tell them to show the world what they have got and i am sure the football they can produce would be amazing to watch although a bit risky since they dont track back often which is what is stopping Moyes from playing them all together.

He needs to start taking risks.

Feorax

It's the manner of the goal we conceded that stings.

Absolutely, but that's the kind of thing we're known to dwell on, and we start then getting shakey. Look at Skrtel last season after the incident at City. I think we have to just say "what's done is done" and look at it as a point gained at the end of the day, even if the manner of the draw itself amybe doesn't suggest that.

would have been ideal to get the 3 points off wba given we have arsenal next. how we try to bounce back against arsenal is going to be really telling of how we fare come towards end of season. also need vengeance against city n chelsea later on

We tend not to have 2 shite performances on the bounce. Even when we had our first double losses away to Chelsea and City, we played well for 125 minutes of the 180, we just fell apart in the second half v Chelsea.

I'm not saying we're definitely going to beat Arsenal, but the game will be significantly different to the one at the Emirates, that's for sure. I'm expecting a really solid performance from us. Anyone who thinks Arsenal are just going to have an easy day out at Anfield and get 3 points without breaking too much of a sweat is kidding themselves.

Wilbur

Banned
Don't know what to say about Moyes really. There's an argument for sacking him, but it'll create as much short term dysfunction as keeping him would. Who, realistically, are we going to get at this stage of the season? The only person I can think of is Hiddink. Maybe come summer, if Atletico fail to capitalise on their position, coaches like Simeone and Klopp feel they've hit a glass ceiling and can be enticed somehow (before Milch shouts at me and says Klopp is going to stay until the end of his contract, in just hypothesising!)

I think we have to keep him until the end of this season at least, because there doesn't seem many alternatives. It's already a write off. We aren't getting fourth with or without him simply because I don't think we'll get anyone notably better until the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom