• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT14| Juan Flew Into The Slug's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Clubs are so fickle sometimes he won the League Cup last year and this is how they repay him, why sack him now at least give him to the end of the season.

Watch as Moyes does the opposite, mid table this season

But next season we are gonna fuck you all up, Cleverly comeback 2014

L1NETT

Don't want to sound harsh to the Swans fans here, but they are Swansea. Where they are right now at this point is mental.

Just saying easy to forget where they are for that size club.

Hixx

Clubs are so fickle sometimes he won the League Cup last year and this is how they repay him, why sack him now at least give him to the end of the season.

Because chances are he was going to leave at the end of the season anyway.

I can see why they've sacked him when you look at it like that tbh. Do you really want someone who's going to fuck off regardless in charge of a relegation battle?

Fergie

Banned
@Sport_Witness: Hate to tell Porto we told you so, but Fernando now reneged on 'Gentleman's Agreement' to renew contract. Free transfer now likely.
iJN7IpbQnwUT7.gif

Bumhead

Banned
Hope you are all (bar Bumhead) cheering on Sheff United to beat the Fulham Insomnia Solvers in the FA Cup replay tonight.

The Blades can win for me tonight. Not cheering them on but I think we'd beat either of these sides in a quarter final. Got to that point in the Cup where I want the worst ranked sides now rather than "glory" ties and these are both awful.

pulsemyne

Thank god for that. Laudrup needed to go. Swansea have been terrible for large parts of this season. Quite frankly they were awful for the last part of the previous season. Garry monk taking over is not too bad as he knows the team inside out. He knows how to motivate the players. Besides which Alan Curtis is there to hand hold him. Alan's been there forever.

Feorax

Sacking Laudrup seems crazy. Yeah, they aren't doing great this season, but they could be doing a hell of a lot worse. Every team goes through these patches. I'm sure losing Michu for so long hasn't helped him either.

The question that remains now is who follows him out of the door in terms of players?

Fergie

Banned
Fulham not going to give their new signings time? It's Sheffield anyway.

They could have sacked him in December at least.

Laudrup sacked? Swansea you're a stupid club confirmed. Cardiff 2.0. You're rivals in terms of stupidity as well it seems.

What signs were there that he needed to be given more time? Winning the League Cup a year ago is irrelevant in the context of what they need to do, which is preserve their status as a Premier League club. The way they've been playing this season (without Michu for large parts granted) must be a huge worry for the board and fans, and sometimes a change is needed even if it seems like a downgrade at first glance.

Swansea are really, really struggling to create chances, and it becomes a very simple process of logic when you consider that. No chances, no goals, no points, relegation. We'll see if it works, but it's far from a decision which can instantly be dismissed as stupid.

pulsemyne

Sacking Laudrup seems crazy. Yeah, they aren't doing great this season, but they could be doing a hell of a lot worse. Every team goes through these patches. I'm sure losing Michu for so long hasn't helped him either.

The question that remains now is who follows him out of the door in terms of players?

None of the players will go as Garry monk is well liked. It's a sensible decision in that sense.

jtb

Banned
What signs were there that he needed to be given more time? Winning the League Cup a year ago is irrelevant in the context of what they need to do, which is preserve their status as a Premier League club. The way they've been playing this season (without Michu for large parts granted) must be a huge worry for the board and fans, and sometimes a change is needed even if it seems like a downgrade at first glance.

Swansea are really, really struggling to create chances, and it becomes a very simple process of logic when you consider that. No chances, no goals, no points, relegation. We'll see if it works, but it's far from a decision which can instantly be dismissed as stupid.

eh, look at Newcastle. they're a solid top half side without the Europa League bogging them down. the squad clearly wasn't equipped to handle both Europe and the league; sacking the manager now won't change that. You'll get a few results in the immediate future before everything returns to the mean (or worse). if that saves the team from relegation, then maybe it's a decision worth taking. but I don't really think Swansea were a relegation candidate, even with as poorly as they're playing. the moment they lose in the Europa league everything will suddenly start going much better for them.

basically, Laudrup is a victim of his own success. if he hadn't won a trophy last season, he'd still be in a job.

Lightning

Banned

If that's the attitude every club takes when they hit a bad patch it shows. Fulham sacked Jol, nothing changed they are still shit. Cardiff unfairly sacked Mackay, nothing changed Cardiff are still shit, West Brom sacked Clarke, nothing changed Brom are still shit.

Laudrup proved last season that he can do it. Unless you're employing a Pulis who is proven then unnecessary risk. Swansea are not getting relegated and have had a disaster run of injuries. He deserved the season no question. He brought them success the club had not experienced previously.

SHarris78

Just heard the news about Laudrup, it was only a matter of time. We've been woeful this season, completely unimaginative and very boring to watch.

pulsemyne

eh, look at Newcastle. they're a solid top half side without the Europa League bogging them down. the squad clearly wasn't equipped to handle both Europe and the league; sacking the manager now won't change that. You'll get a few results in the immediate future before everything returns to the mean (or worse). if that saves the team from relegation, then it's a good decision. but I don't really think Swansea were a relegation candidate, even with as poorly as they're playing.

basically, Laudrup is a victim of his own success. if he hadn't won a trophy last season, he'd still be in a job.

Not really. Last season we had a great home record, this season has been awful. We barely won a game at home. His win loss record is poor (a lot worse than Rogers was). The team had lost their style as well. The total football ideal had gone in many ways.
As for someone comparing us to Cardiff. That's just wrong on so many levels. Swansea have no debt and Cardiff have 113 million, Cardiff is run by a complete madman while swansea is run partly by the fans and local business men. Cardiff changed their colours, Swansea never would.
Swansea have an ambittion to become a much bigger club than they currently are. The stadium has been given the go ahead for expansion to over 30,000. They have also recently moved to state of the art training facilities. Swansea are one of only a few clubs that actually posts a profit at the end of a financial year.

If that's the attitude every club takes when they hit a bad patch it shows. Fulham sacked Jol, nothing changed they are still shit. Cardiff unfairly sacked Mackay, nothing changed Cardiff are still shit, West Brom sacked Clarke, nothing changed Brom are still shit.

Laudrup proved last season that he can do it. Unless you're employing a Pulis who is proven then unnecessary risk. Swansea are not getting relegated and have had a disaster run of injuries. He deserved the season no question. He brought them success the club had not experienced previously.

Firstly, its very, very unfair to throw Pepe Mel in with the other guys

Cardiff and Fulham are performing to type. One is full of Championship standard players, the other is full of old players who have a terrible mentiality

Swansea have a team full of solid players in all positions, yet they are right in the midst of the relegation scrap, and playing worse, less effective football than anyone bar Fulham. Huw Jenkins is a very smart owner, I'd be inclined to side with his opinion tbh, especially when it seems to be echoed by Swansea's own fans.

Laudrup and the team are underperforming in a way that puts their PL status in jeapordy, and that is all that matters at the end of the day. Unless they somehow get worse (literally nearly impossible given the form charts), it's the right decision

dc89

In the last seven years, Fergie is the only League Cup winning boss to still be in the same job by the day of the following season's final.

Huh

Personally I think that's incredibly short sighted. Toils of Europe and injuries are big factors in such a disappointing season

Unless they have a replacement lined up, poor move imo. Hope they don't regret it and do a Wolves/Wigan/Brum.

Yup, Guardian reporting it.

GARRY MONK

Idiots

You need to understand Laudrup.

Every single club he has been at he starts distancing himself so much to the players that they actively start disliking him, even worse he does the same to the owners and staff. At some point the wow factor about him still being the best footballer at the training session is gone and the players starts performing worse, which makes him easy to fire when he's already in a terrible relationship with the people who can fire him.

Bumhead

Banned
Stevenage are winning 2-0, which means The Blades are just a point clear of the bottom of League One as they knacker themselves out playing this.

Good.

Gooood.

Arnie

In the last seven years, Fergie is the only manager to resign at a club that has a recent pedigree of winning trophies and believe that David Moyes is a suitable successor.

In the last seven years, Fergie is the only League Cup winning boss to still be in the same job by the day of the following season's final.

:lol, what a great piece of trivia

Sacking Kenny must have been one of the hardest decisions John Henry has ever had to make, but it was absolutely the right one. Thank Suso that knobend Commoli was fucked off as well

rodvik

You need to understand Laudrup.

Every single club he has been at he starts distancing himself so much to the players that they actively start disliking him, even worse he does the same to the owners and staff. At some point the wow factor about him still being the best footballer at the training session is gone and the players starts performing worse, which makes him easy to fire when he's already in a terrible relationship with the people who can fire him.

Interesting. Do you think Swansea will be better or worse off fighting relegation now?

confuziz

Banned
God I want to post in that Seinfeld topic. I know I just get myself banned again for '''''racism''''' so I'm taking a shower instead.

God I want to post in that Seinfeld topic. I know I just get myself banned again for '''''racism''''' so I'm taking a shower instead.

Let me guess, you've never seen a non-white comedian you've found particularly funny?

I'd agree if not for Chris Rock, not much of a fan of Richard Pryor tbh

Then again, I really like Lee Evans so perhaps my opinions on performance-comedy should be taken with a grain of salt :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom