• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT14| Juan Flew Into The Slug's Nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc89

I honestly don't understand these posts lol.

"Cypher sent us to hell, but we're going even deeper, take back everything we lost."

"Kaz, I'm already a demon."

From the end of the trailer. Kaz and Big Boss. Fuck I'm giddy just thinking about Phantom Pain.

Barzul

Very interesting article with one of Arsenal's main scouts, Gilles Grimandi. I never really considered what it was like for an actual scout. Says he regrets missing out on Ribery and he misjudged his ability. He was the one who got us Koscielny and Sagna, good man.

How long have you been scout?

“Nine years. I remember the first mission Arsène Wenger assigned me. He asked me to pick up French internationals at Faroe Islands (Henry, Pires & Vieira – 08/09/04).”

Have you ever thought about doing something else, like coach?

“I can't do it … assistant maybe! My vision would need to change, because I’m focused on the individual aspect, and a coach needs to have a more collective vision. I’d like to feel the daily life of a team. I sometimes do with Arsenal. We miss the team life in this job, we are loners. We live with frustration.”

Why?

“We’re always looking for players, we fight for players to come, you commit yourself and, when this player signs he doesn't even know who you are.”

Where do you live?

“London, but I'm rarely there. It’s a consuming passion.”

How many games do you attend?

“A little bit more than 250 a year. It depends of the number of tournaments you’re following. Our job has changed a lot. The day after the game I can use my iPad and see tons of stats.”

Is it possible to do your job without going to stadium?

“No. The most important is what happens on the pitch. You've got many signals that you can't see on TV, the game without the ball, how he tracks back. English people call it ‘body language’. It’s at the stadium that the decision is made.”

Wenger comes with you?

“Not much, but he watches all the games. He’s got an unbelievable memory. In France, he knows everyone. So when I talk to him about a player, he’s got already an idea of him. But scouting is not only about signing players. You have to say no, because sometimes technical decisions can be influenced by agents, or relatives.
With Arsenal, it’s more simple because Arsène decides and he hasn’t changed his philosophy in the last 17 years. I know how to work for Arsène Wenger, I’m not sure I’d know how to work with other managers. I’m lucky, even though it’s sometimes difficult.”

Why?

“When you’re a player, you can’t imagine what’s going on around the stadium, the buzz, you don’t know where to park, get your invitation, and after the game there’s the traffic congestion.”

That’s why the scouts leave the games early?

“Yes, at first it made me crazy. You need a year to adapt.”
How many games do you need to make your decision about a player?
“It depends. Bacary Sagna, I watched him very, very often.”

Laurent Koscielny?

“I’ve watched him when he was at Tours, in L2 (2008-2009). Maybe we made a mistake, because we could have signed him when he was in L2. But I couldn't imagine his progression. On Tuesday you watch a Champion’s League game, and on Friday you watch a L2 game … You've got to think ‘can he go from on level to the other?’”

Do you make research on the personality of the player?

“Yes, but the pitch don’t lie. When you see a guy 20 times … and when you see a kid warming up, you understand many things … that’s where your experience of former player helps.”

What’s your best signing?

“I hate hearing a scout assuming the responsibility of a success or the signing of a player. I hear a lot, ‘I made him sign’. But you never hear ‘I’m the one who refused to sign him’ … we all make mistakes. The success of a player is the result of a sum of things”.

What player did you miss?

“I've never thought Ribery would have made this career. But there’s many guys … Arsène never thought Thuram would make the career he’s made.”

GQman2121

Banned
Anyone seen true detective? Wondering if its worth watching.

Yes, worth watching. Don't try and take your eyes off the screen or the proceeding scenes might not make sense. It's a very slow burn three episodes in, but it's very good and the acting is top notch.

L1NETT

Nah Bumhead he supports North London Red

Good result for Sheffield Hendos Red that.

West London white must be disappointed

;-)

Barzul

You're all just into Daddario.

Those perfect tits

tumblr_mw2fipmHfW1sl5hcto1_250.gif

Elchele

Very interesting article with one of Arsenal's main scouts, Gilles Grimandi. I never really considered what it was like for an actual scout. Says he regrets missing out on Ribery and he misjudged his ability. He was the one who got us Koscielny and Sagna, good man.

very interesting, thanks for sharing

I love that Dempsey played a large part in costing them that match

So much for a risk-free signing. Given them nothing in attack, lost them a cup game.

When's the last time Duff did something productive and justified his place in the team?

Adam Johnson scores when he wants.

Which is all the fucking time at the minute.

-----------------Sturridge------------------

-----Sterling-----------------Johnson--

----------------Henderson----------------

----------Colback--------------------------

---------------------Gerrard-----------------

?-------------------------------------Johnson
-------------Brown----Kelly----------------

-----------------------?--------------------------

World Cup winners

dc89

World Cup winners

JH1 and JM7 are needed in that side. Oh and GB18.

Wilbur

Banned
Wait. Laudrup sacked to avoid uncertainty? Lmaoooooooooo

Wooden was right. God I wish he had got the Arsenal or Spurs job.

Hixx

World Cup winners

The Don qualifies to play for England.

Hixx

Speaking of Mannone, apparently Milan want him in the summer.

Fuck off you shithouses. If someone is going to play for a team in the bottom half of their league it is going to be a fucking English league.

Wilbur

Banned
I haven't seen much of Fulham this season. Have they regularly played this shit?

Heh, thanks. Mainly post in OT (WhoGAF is my main jam) and lurk in FootyGAF, but always willing and ready to put the boot in to Saunders when possible.

I like you. You're like legit top poster in WhoGAF. I just lurk for Capaldi dick slips.

And fuck Dean Saunders.

rvy

Banned
United should get Gaitán while they still can.

pls

pls look at how good Luiz, Matic and Ramires are.

I would never lie to you, United-GAF.

And get Jesus as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom