• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT15| smoking Top of the League cigars may cause Liver failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

1139714400-thomas-mueller-2itlFdGcn7ef.jpg

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Ozil is getting panned by most European papers for last nights non performance.

Rightly so. Terrible penalty, terrible mental attitude, played 90 minutes at walking pace.

He's never played this much high-level football in a season and it shows. He'll be better next year when he's had a proper pre-season.

Lightning is gone...!

HU5Nc.gif

Ushojax

fantastic-four-casting.jpg

th-.... these are the new fantastic 4

Who cares, it's a Marvel movie and will therefore be shit by default, plus it's being made by FOX. The only good superhero movies are the Donner Superman films and the Nolan Batman trilogy.

Speaking to El Larguero, Valdano said: ‘Bale has a strange anxiety because you do not notice it in the intensity of play.

‘When someone is anxious, they play at a speed above what suits them, but it is like he is somewhere else. That is the strange sensation you get from him.

‘The team are saving him. There are so many points to consider, among them Jese who is drawing so much attention.’

Valdano added: ‘I suppose it comes from his lack of regular games and the injuries and also from being so closely observed because of what was paid for him.

‘We have not yet seen the true Bale. You see he looks a bit unhappy at the moment. He looks a bit downcast.’

I do think Bale is struggling a bit, he's playing at 50% intensity IMO. I haven't watched all his matches for Madrid but I've not seen him use that explosive pace and really carve through a defense with the ball at his feet. He's had some nice shots and crosses but he can be so much more dangerous. I guess he knows that Ronaldo will shout at him if he starts trying to run with the ball instead of passing it to him.

GorillaJu

Lightning is gone...!

Probably asked for it himself.

Who are Bayern playing this weekend in the Bundesliga?

He must have requested it, there's nothing breaking the TOS in his recent post history.

Anyone else here played Strider? I bought it, it's basically exactly what I expected, which is fine. Just some quick mashy sidescrolling.

Salvadora

There was someone in here last night who suggested that Ozil will end up on the Shevchenko flop scale, Susan.

Not worth reasoning with.

GorillaJu

Is that Wallace from The Wire?

He's also very good as Oscar Grant in Fruitvale Station.

--

Ozil has flopped a bit this season but it's mostly his price tag that determines that. The money Arsenal paid is extraordinary, but at the end of the season, we'll be looking at him as a stellar purchase in comparison with the 40m United spent on Juan Mata. Both players will have lots of time to prove the doubters wrong, but Ozil will actually be able to do it in a team that is set up to utilize his talents.

phaze

Congrats to Bayern on yesterday's win. Shame about the red card but oh well can't say it was undeserved. Bayern could still have had another pen so we don't even get to blame the ref.

Still, we played better than I expected so I hope we can still put up a fight in Munich.

There was someone in here last night who suggested that Ozil will end up on the Shevchenko flop scale, Susan.

Welcome back !

Salvadora

Thanks Arsenal GAF
Ozil just needs a rest. Hasn't he played like every game?\

I believe his assists are near the top in PL too.
Only third behind Gerrard and Rooney in the League.

He got a short rest because of a shoulder injury over the holidays, but other than that it's been full steam for a player who didn't even get a pre-season with us. Wenger's notorious for doing this. I fully believe that Ramsey's injury was completely avoidable if he hadn't played every game until that point.

Ozil has put in a number of sub-par performances recently, undeniably, but it has become somewhat of a meme in this thread. Even when he's played well, the same people turn up saying that same thing. And he has played well this season, at times. Really well.

Ushojax

I turned last nights match on just in time to watch Robben get taken out by Schneezy. Were Arsenal completely and utterly shit all game or was it just that they couldn't cope after going a man down.

Arsenal were shitting on Bayern for the first 15 minutes, Boateng and Alaba were terrible and Ozil did very well to win a penalty. When he missed it the life was drained out of Arsenal and their fans and Bayern assumed control after that.

Clegg

I feel a bit sorry for Ozil. He's definitely underperforming and has been shockingly poor at times this season. But there's only so much he can do when he has that gobshite playing in front of him.

GorillaJu

Assists, as a stat, are so overrated. There are times where the final pass is what makes the goal, but just as many where the goal scorer just received the ball on miles out from goal, dribbles past two and scores. Those still count as "assists."

Welcome back, Salv.

L1NETT

Howdey there Salva, welcome back.

And yeah Ozil needs a rest. Not like Arsenal are struggling for good small blokes who can slot in for him for a game or two.

Pretty foolish of Arsene to play him for such a sustained period.

Suen

Salvaaaaaa! Welcome back. Hold us Salva, hold us in Arse-gaf. The Champions League dream is over :(

He must have requested it, there's nothing breaking the TOS in his recent post history.

Anyone else here played Strider? I bought it, it's basically exactly what I expected, which is fine. Just some quick mashy sidescrolling.
Been telling myself to play the series for 12 years now lol. Worth it?

Clegg

Cazorla looks like he could do with a rest too.

Not playing as poorly as Ozil, but he doesn't look as sharp as he did at the turn of the year,

GorillaJu

Been telling myself to play the series for 12 years now lol. Worth it?

Well I've only played the Genesis Strider game and that was when I was like 7 years old, but it seems to be loyal to what I remember the game being like, but obviously updated to modern standards with exploration, character upgrades, etc.

Fergie

Banned
Really though Walcott getting crocked really dulled Arsenal's attack. Even so they did well for 15-20mins anyway.

Wenger really needs to reduce amount of minutes he gives players.

bud

arsenal started really well, and if it had stayed 0-1, it'd have been a very good performance and result considering the circumstances.

0-2 means game over, though. bayern will definitely score which means arsenal will have to score at least three--and that's pretty much impossible.

Clegg

Those Valencia to Madrid rumours have been doing the rounds for years.

It was a strange one even when he was playing well.

Salvadora

arsenal started really well, and if it had stayed 0-1, it'd have been a very good performance and result considering the circumstances.

0-2 means game over, though. bayern will definitely score which means arsenal will have to score at least three--and that's pretty much impossible.
If we had scored the penalty, I think we could've really twisted the knife through counter-attacks.

Bayern GAF will point to Bundesliga team #7 and #8 as proof that you can only maintain that intensity against them for 20 minutes or so, but we've already seen Arsenal do it for 45 against Napoli at the Emirates this season in the Champions League. We're a couple of classes above their usual opposition.

I'm not even angry at Ozil for the missed penalty, he shouldn't have taken it. I'd much rather Sanogo took it, and I've never even seen him take a penalty.

Suen

Well I've only played the Genesis Strider game and that was when I was like 7 years old, but it seems to be loyal to what I remember the game being like, but obviously updated to modern standards with exploration, character upgrades, etc.
They went with a Metroidvania approach in the new one? Seems to be the standard these days for side scrollers though. I'm more interested in trying the old ones though.

velociraptor

Obviously Mesut Lolzil's confidence is now sapped. I would rest him for a week or two if I were Wenger.

Maybe we should have just signed Suarez instead.

I still <3 you Ozil. :(

Elchele

If we had scored the penalty, I think we could've really twisted the knife through counter-attacks.

Bayern GAF will point to Bundesliga team #7 and #8 as proof that you can only maintain that intensity against them for 20 minutes or so, but we've already seen Arsenal do it for 45 against Napoli at the Emirates this season in the Champions League. We're a couple of classes above their usual opposition.

I'm not even angry at Ozil for the missed penalty, he shouldn't have taken it. I'd much rather Sanogo took it, and I've never even seen him take a penalty.

If teams could maintaing that pressuring during so much time, Barcelona would have never been so successful. Arsenal stopped doing it before the sending off too, they were exhausted.

Feorax

European fixtures really doing us a favour this weekend. Only teams not to play in Europe that are near us are Chelsea and Everton, and they play each other.

Big weekend for us this. Nothing less than 3 points v Swansea is acceptable.

Fergie

Banned
Getting Kroos would be absolutely amazing but it's highly unlikely. Anyway Bayern has a great talent, absolutely bossed yesterday.

Pep even says he's likely to sign a extension, and probably stay.

Carvalho would be great but 37.5 is just ridiculous, but that's probably the price of getting mostly anyone from Portugal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom