• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT15| smoking Top of the League cigars may cause Liver failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

arkon

bd67bfc10a14c6cd0706bb0e91dad4cb.gif

Man, oh man.

What a bender!

Linius

Gentle Rodriguez, you should post here more. I feel like I'm the only active Ajax fan in here since Wessiejj decided to post only twice a season :(

Meier

Have to wait until March 11th for the presale of the game with Liverpool in NYC. It's going to be a long few weeks!

we were playing with starters, there are no excuses. They were much better
I mean what are you insinuating? That they're actually the best team in the world? Because I'll gladly admit that so this loss looks less embarrassing. It's just that this wouldn't have happened if we'd be playing at our level.

Linius

Why though? Winning the Europa League would be the best thing a club like Ajax could hope for. What's the point otherwise in fighting for that 3rd spot in the CL group?

We won't win it. I don't think we're good enough to win the EL and I'd rather win the league plus cup for the first time in forever.

And that third spot is honor. You can't end under Celtic.

Elchele

I mean what are you insinuating? That they're actually the best team in the world? Because I'll gladly admit that so this loss looks less embarrassing. It's just that this wouldn't have happened if we'd be playing at our level.

I think they play in a very similar way to Heynckes' Bayern. Would be a fool to try to say how good they really are, but from what I saw in our friendly... they looked very good.

They know how to take advantage of teams playing possession based football, at least.

We beat Salzburg 1-0 a week later. Just imagine how hard we're going to murder Dortmund.

:lol

Salvadora

It would be good for the brand if Arsenal went to the US this summer.

The East Asia trip was a fun event. I'm glad Arsene relaxed his stance on long journeys in pre-season.

We won't win it. I don't think we're good enough to win the EL and I'd rather win the league plus cup for the first time in forever.

And that third spot is honor. You can't end under Celtic.

Even if you don't win it, you should aspire to. And a deep run could greatly help your seeding for the CL. Getting into pot 2 for example would be huge.

arkon

LOL sure, I used to not post because the thread seemed too oriented towards PL/BBVA/Bundesliga(understandably so) for my taste.

It still is. The only way to change that is to get more fans posting from your respective leagues. When there's only like 4 or 5 people posting about the Dutch league it's understandably going to get drowned out by the talk of other leagues.

I think they play in a very similar way to Heynckes' Bayern. Would be a fool to try to say how good they really are, but from what I saw in our friendly... they looked very good.

They know how to take advantage of teams playing possession based football, at least.

:lol
Oh they play like this ALL the time? Then yeah we would have lost either way. Play styles don't match up well for us at all. Doesn't help that we've sucked the past few months.

Linius

Even if you don't win it, you should aspire to. And a deep run could greatly help your seeding for the CL. Getting into pot 2 for example would be huge.

Yeah pot 2 seeding could benefit us. But we'll need a deep run then yes. You get so little points in this tournament. The Uefa really made it a shit tournament. And if we don't win the league it's gonna be tough to reach the CL at all btw.

Meier

Just saw in the American soccer thread that the MLS has bought Chivas USA and will now re-sell it to a new ownership group. Maybe lends a little credence to that LA-based Arsenal team.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
you played REALLY well in the 2nd half. We were lucky not to concede at least one goal.

Ehh story of the season for us I guess. We don't play that bad, but we never get results at away games. We have the least away points in the Turkish league.

Anyway thanks for the update, hopefully I will make it to the home game and make some contributions to footy gaf!

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Yeah pot 2 seeding could benefit us. But we'll need a deep run then yes. You get so little points in this tournament. The Uefa really made it a shit tournament. And if we don't win the league it's gonna be tough to reach the CL at all btw.

you get a decent amount of points actually!

That's not true, you get the same amount of points for winning games as in the CL. Only the bonuses for reaching certain stages varies a bit. Look at Rubin Kazan for example, they're ranked 20th in Europe now, based exclusively on a consistent performances in the EL.

Zabojnik

Congrats Juve dudes! I missed the game, did we (Trabzonspor) came off light?

you played REALLY well in the 2nd half. We were lucky not to concede at least one goal.

Yeah. Trabz played well in the second half, or rather, we sucked monkey balls. The first half could've easily ended 3-0 in our favour though, if it wasn't for the curse.

I can still see us fucking it up in Turkey, tbh. It's just how we roll in Europe.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Ehh story of the season for us I guess. We don't play that bad, but we never get results at away games. We have the least away points in the Turkish league.

Anyway thanks for the update, hopefully I will make it to the home game and make some contributions to footy gaf!

please throw coins at Isla

CrunchyB

You'd think that, but to an Eredivisie team it's just not worth it. The last few years PSV, AZ and Twente wasted energy in the EL while Ajax got knocked out early. Ajax proceeded to win the league partly thanks to this and they made a ton of cash. The runners-up get nothing (EL) because the CL playoff is stacked against our mid-level teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom