• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT15| smoking Top of the League cigars may cause Liver failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linius

You'd think that, but to an Eredivisie team it's just not worth it. The last few years PSV, AZ and Twente wasted energy in the EL while Ajax got knocked out early. Ajax proceeded to win the league partly thanks to this and they made a ton of cash. The runners-up get nothing (EL) because the CL playoff is stacked against our mid-level teams.

The other teams got max one round further than Ajax. That's only small percentage of us winning the league three times in a row :p

Meier

This Lazio game looks fun. 1 penalty miss by both teams but a red card for the team who is winning (Ludogrets) 0-1.

You'd think that, but to an Eredivisie team it's just not worth it. The last few years PSV, AZ and Twente wasted energy in the EL while Ajax got knocked out early. Ajax proceeded to win the league partly thanks to this and they made a ton of cash. The runners-up get nothing (EL) because the CL playoff is stacked against our mid-level teams.

And if your teams made deep runs in the EL then they might be seeded in the dreaded CL playoff :p Zenit for example got to play a terrible team from Portugal in the CL playoff. That's why we're still alive in the competition.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yeah. Trabz played well in the second half, or rather, we sucked monkey balls. The first half could've easily ended 3-0 in our favour though, if it wasn't for the curse.

I can still see us fucking it up in Turkey, tbh. It's just how we roll in Europe.

Italian clubs generally don't give a F about the Europacup right. Wasn't it Napoli who just basically gave their spot away last year?

Don't worry, really don't see TS coming back from this. Tho always weird shit happens when Juve visits Turkey.

please throw coins at Isla

lol Did he fudge up that bad today?

And if your teams made deep runs in the EL then they might be seeded in the dreaded CL playoff :p Zenit for example got to play a terrible team from Portugal in the CL playoff. That's why we're still alive in the competition.
Well Ajax doesn't really care because we've been the champions 3 years in a row and now 4 points in the clear so we just skip the playoffs. It's mostly been Twente and PSV that really don't care and just throw in the towel in the group phase. Other teams just haven't been good enough.

SHarris78

Didn't realise The Shelve was on the bench. If he plays the last 20 mins the way he usually plays the first 20 mins of games he could provide the spark we need to nick a goal.

tbm24

ICC schedule went up for July. Only game to be played in NYC is Liverpool vs Man City. Can say I'm fairly dissapointed. Though I bet more games would be placed here if that new stadium was up and running.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Swansea deserve to win this tbh

lol Did he fudge up that bad today?

today?

EVERYDAY
iboCBCquZHUWH0.gif

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Swansea were fantastic tonight, if only Spurs had shown the same desire. They totally dominated the match, unlucky not to score but they did well to keep a clean sheet, a 0-0 isn't so bad.

CrunchyB

The other teams got max one round further than Ajax. That's only small percentage of us winning the league three times in a row :p

2 seasons ago PSV and Twente made it one round further and AZ 2 rounds. The year before that Twente and PSV both played one round more. That's the year Ajax beat Twente on that final match day and won the league by two points. I'm still bitter about that one :p

Ajax also has a ton of contract players (because they are rich) so they have a somewhat easier time playing lots of games. Hell, half the Eredivise is made up of Ajax rejects.

No, that's not how it works. Dutch CL qualification teams start in the 3rd round. We face the teams that start in the 4th round. All good teams from England, Germany or Italy. Arsenal, Milan, Schalke (and also Zenit!)

We need to get a better country ranking in order to get directly to the 4th round, but all Dutch teams in Europe need to perform consistently well in order to get there and there's always Feyenoord, Vitesse or Heerenveen screwing us over.

MrKaepora

But Porto has been poor in Portugal this season.

Oh, you are a Benfica fan lol I am sorry for your life.
It's second in the league 4 points behind us and this season there were games where, if the other team played more aggressively, your team would loose.

But don't worry, JJ has your back. Again.

Linius

2 seasons ago PSV and Twente made it one round further and AZ 2 rounds. The year before that Twente and PSV both played one round more. That's the year Ajax beat Twente on that final match day and won the league by two points. I'm still bitter about that one :p

Ajax also has a ton of contract players (because they are rich) so they have a somewhat easier time playing lots of games. Hell, half the Eredivise is made up of Ajax rejects.

After seven years of nothing (except for a few 'dennenappels') I was so relieved we beat you guys that day. It's a match I'll never forget and when people ask me what my favourite game of football ever is that's the one :p

And yes, we have quite a few players. But we can't fill in every position twice with players who are equally good, we're still no Chelsea. But our second choice players are usually good enough to beat the likes of Zwolle or Cambuur for example.

I really hope we can take home the double this year. De Boer never cared much for the national cup and we ended up being kicked by AZ twice in a row with a second choice team. I hope he can see that we have a decent chance for the national double this time around...

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Spurs were terrible tonight with one exception, Brad Friedel produced a truly wonderful goalkeeping performance and didn't deserve to have his clean sheet ruined by that stupid penalty. I'll miss him when he retires, it's a shame he never got to play in the CL.

No, that's not how it works. Dutch CL qualification teams start in the 3rd round. We face the teams that start in the 4th round. All good teams from England, Germany or Italy. Arsenal, Milan, Schalke, etc.

We need to get a better country ranking in order to get directly to the 4th round, but all Dutch teams in Europe need to perform consistently well in order to get there and there's always Feyenoord, Vitesse or Heerenveen screwing us over.
I know exactly how it works since Russian teams also start in the 3rd round. In the 3rd round we (Zenit) played Norsjaelland and then we managed to be seeded just ahead of PSV for the 4th round and got to play Pacos de Ferreira. And the reason we were seeded ahead of PSV was thanks to solid EL results. :p

If you start in an earlier round doesn't mean you won't be seeded for a later one! It all depends on your club rating. Rubin Kazan for example started in the 2nd round of EL qualifying but were seeded all the way to the group stage.

fuenf

Yo Milchmonster, yo Bayern- hatin'-GAF. Going over the highlights of yesterday's game I found this gem, I'm sure you'll have plenty of use for it in the future:

ibyR82SsZxLf6a.gif

iAF7LE02vQiQZ.gif

Scum

Spurs were terrible tonight with one exception, Brad Friedel produced a truly wonderful goalkeeping performance and didn't deserve to have his clean sheet ruined by that stupid penalty. I'll miss him when he retires, it's a shame he never got to play in the CL.
Dammit. Oh well. Boycie better turn up for the 2nd lge.

Linius

I know exactly how it works since Russian teams also start in the 3rd round. In the 3rd round we (Zenit) played Norsjaelland and then we managed to be seeded just ahead of PSV for the 4th round and got to play Pacos de Ferreira. And the reason we were seeded ahead of PSV was thanks to solid EL results. :p

If you start in an earlier round doesn't mean you won't be seeded for a later one! It all depends on your club rating. Rubin Kazan for example started in the 2nd round of EL qualifying but were seeded all the way to the group stage.

Yup and that's where PSV got played by Milan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom