• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT15| smoking Top of the League cigars may cause Liver failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ungrateful little shites, you'd been long gone in the Championship without Wayne Rooney keeping your sorry-ass rag tag bunch of excuses for football players afloat.

ibmE8cHFj1WeiD.gif

Yeah, because Moyes is shit.

Hixx

"@mhardysport 8m
'I'm never jealous of Sunderland,' Alan Pardew when asked about the forthcoming CapitalOne Cup final."

You never want to be in a cup final like, Mr. Pardew?

KuGsj.gif

Wilbur

Banned
Rooney hasn't been our best player this season, and it's amusing that Plug carries on that narrative. He's got a few goals from free kicks - one being in a 4-1 loss at City, one flukey one against WBA off the top of my head - and assists from the same thing, but to pretend his all round play has been very good is odd.

De Gea and Adnan have been our only stand out players all season. Rooney's been okay to pretty good, Jones and RVP have had their moments, Carrick's been good in the last match or two, Welbeck had a real good run of form. That's it.

Wilbur

Banned
"@mhardysport 8m
'I'm never jealous of Sunderland,' Alan Pardew when asked about the forthcoming CapitalOne Cup final."

KuGsj.gif

Pards is reacting extremely poorly to this Cabaye sale. Changing his tactics to route one shit, constantly belitting his entire squad by saying they can't play without the Kebab... I feel like he wants the sack and the pay off because nothing's gonna get better than it was a year or two ago for him at Newcastle :lol

Salvadora

Has De Gea done anything of particular note this season?

He's been solid, of course, but I'm not remembering brilliance. Wojciech Tomasz Szczęsny has been the standout keeper so far this season.

Which United bros hate Rooney? Let's divide into two separate groups.

He's been solid, of course, but I'm not remembering brilliance. Wojciech Tomasz Szczęsny has been the standout keeper so far this season.

He's only really cost United one goal (Sunderland match) this season. Schlajdfkl just ruined your CL match and I'm pretty sure he fucked up some other game. Apart from that he's been excellent though.

Slizz

Been saving us from losing more points quite a bit recently. There was the blunder in the Cup but he made some really good saves after in the PL.

Wilbur

Banned
In praise of supporting two clubs by Ed Wilson of When Saturday Comes - http://www.theguardian.com/football...b/21/advantages-supporting-two-football-clubs

From the semi-scholarly ruminations of journal articles to the caps-locked rage of online message boards, the nature of the "proper" football supporter is regularly debated. An indisputably important feature of this proper supporter's make-up – ranking in importance alongside the ownership of matching his 'n' hers training jackets – is loyalty to one club.

Reinforced by patronising adverts paid for by corporate sponsors, this one-eyed devotion to a single cause – beyond good sense and, sometimes, beyond even basic standards of decency – has acquired such weight as a measure of superior fandom that any deviation from its course represents something sinister. The true supporter would sooner give up his or her interest in football, and possibly life altogether, than follow another team.

As a consequence of this position, the fan who switches allegiance in the pursuit of something more satisfying lacks credibility. In football, the exercising of choice is fundamentally suspect; taking what you are given, however bad, and sticking with it through thin and thinner is crucial to the true fan's identity. In this area of moral absolutes, the second team is a pleasingly raffish and ambiguous idea, enabling fans to experience the thrill of novelty while avoiding accusations of dilettantism.

Properly selected, the second team can be both a source of variety and a form of compensation for the failings of the club to which you have indefinitely, and possibly regrettably, shackled yourself. If your given team consists of lower-league journeymen, high on commitment and Bovril but low on technical quality, the sensible second-team choice is a high-flying Premier League outfit fizzing with slipper-shod creatives, all of whom are plunged into existential despair at the mere thought of pumping the ball down the channels for the forward to chase.

The second team is also an imaginative exercise, allowing us to try on new, and probably less dysfunctional, football identities. For example, the quotidian experience of supporting one of the less celebrated top-flight English clubs – ones of the type habitually managed by Mark Hughes – can be leavened with the imported glamour of a foreign second choice. However briefly, we are invited to try out a new personality; how would our lives be different, and what sort of person could we be, if circumstances had determined that the object of our support would take the form of the touch and impudence of Lionel Messi, rather than the hard-working, cloth-capped sincerity of Jonathan Walters?

In recent years, I have found solace from the daily grind of supporting Coventry City through an interest in Roma. Both clubs have a record of instability and uncertainty, but players such as Francesco Totti and Daniele de Rossi are capable of making this bearable in a way that journeyman centre-back Andy Webster can't.

There are also worthy and practical reasons for following a second team that even the most dedicated one-club supporter should be able to understand. Often, a second team is necessitated by convenience; it can be a source of regular football for those geographically estranged from the primary focus of their support.

In the era of escalating ticket prices in the top divisions, casually following a team from the non-league can provide an affordable form of live football. Indeed, even a European second team may prove a more economical way of watching a game than attending top-division matches in the UK. We are constantly reminded that the cost of tickets and transport to a Bundesliga contest amounts to less than the price of a packet of Frazzles.

Generally, the second team is the preserve of the lower-league supporter, casting around for some association with glory and searching for a more meaningful engagement with the suffocating spectacle of the Premier League.

It is hard to imagine a Manchester United fan eagerly scouring the web for news of Alfreton Town's result, mainly because there is insufficient coverage of the Conference Premier to make taking an interest worthwhile. Without the lure of a personal connection – geographical or familial – the big-club supporter has little need of the respite provided by a second team.

The experience of casually following another club will never match the emotions provoked by serious and monogamous support. But sometimes it's nice to appreciate a game on its own merit, free of the lengthy pre-existing narrative of optimism, disappointment and financial exploitation you share with your team.

A second club can provide a less complicated form of enjoyment, without demanding huge chunks of your time or emotional energy. You can follow the results, or watch the high- lights, and the pressures of being a "proper" supporter are temporarily relieved. There is no need to dwell too deeply on failures and no obligation to buy a training jacket.

L1NETT

I think United should be like us in 2011 where nobody gets a player of the year award.

Standout player? Aka who has been the least worst.

Scum

Pards is reacting extremely poorly to this Cabaye sale. Changing his tactics to route one shit, constantly belitting his entire squad by saying they can't play without the Kebab... I feel like he wants the sack and the pay off because nothing's gonna get better than it was a year or two ago for him at Newcastle :lol
That's exactly what I was thinking. That's what he wants. Lol

Kikarian

Rooney's had his up's and down's this season. However, we need him on the pitch just for the extra spark. He adds the missing link to the team.

I'd say there is better player's form wise than him atm. But other than that, we're more of a liability without him.

Wilbur

Banned

He's been consistently very very solid; made a mistake against Sunderland in the cup but apart from that hasn't put a foot (or hand, but more often than not foot) wrong all season. Szczesny's been excellent too, I wasn't saying DDG was the standout keeper of the season.

Which United bros hate Rooney? Let's divide into two separate groups.

I do. I think he's a selfish, hypocritical, underwhelming cunt that would have been out of the club by now if he wasn't England's great white hope. I can't believe he's going to be our top scorer.

He wanted out to City and Chelsea, he had the gall to ask us to buy better players and when we did he wanted out, he said shit like he enjoyed playing in centre midfield and then used that as a reason as to why he wanted to leave, he fucks old women for money while his wife is pregnant, he comes back every pre-season looking a fat cunt, and he's currently taking up a position where two real beautiful young men like Juan and Shinji can't play in.

Fuck Rooney.

pulga

Banned
In praise of supporting two clubs by Ed Wilson of When Saturday Comes - http://www.theguardian.com/football...b/21/advantages-supporting-two-football-clubs

A second club can provide a less complicated form of enjoyment, without demanding huge chunks of your time or emotional energy. You can follow the results, or watch the high- lights, and the pressures of being a "proper" supporter are temporarily relieved. There is no need to dwell too deeply on failures and no obligation to buy a training jacket.

Meh, boring. Go all in or stay home.

arkon

De Gea made that good save from the Giaccherini header(?) against Sunderland in the league. Plus I think he made other saves in the game which kept Sunderland within reach.

He seems to have gotten better at collecting crosses too. Less flappy.

GorillaJu

He makes some great points, but those are all things we knew already. I think most everyone here has a second team that they enjoy seeing succeed, but usually, as Wilson is talking about, they come from a different setting. Wooden likes Copenhagen, Chelsea and I think Palermo. I like Liverpool and Yokohama F Marinos, with a soft spot for Juventus, though it's more that I'd rather see our Juvebros happy than it is I want to see the club be successful.

We give a lot of shit to two-teamers who pick the biggest teams from the biggest leagues and declare fandom for them. Those people deserve all the shit we give them.

Wilbur

Banned
I hate that Rooney doesn't want to play CM and bust out those Scholes-esque longballs as he's shown he can do.

I remember him saying something along the lines of he doesn't think he'll play into his mid 30s like Scholes and Giggs

300k until he's 34

moyes why

Wilbur plz don't do this

I thought it was interesting that he preaches a more casual type of enjoyment from following a second team, that appeals to me far more. Like I've said, I really enjoy watching Juve, Roma and Fiorentina and following their results.

I know a few Coventry fans actually that also like Arsenal or Chelsea or Liverpool; they have a Prem team to follow and their real team, but they make the distinction clear between support and follow.

pulga

Banned
I do. I think he's a selfish, hypocritical, underwhelming cunt that would have been out of the club by now if he wasn't England's great white hope. I can't believe he's going to be our top scorer.

He wanted out to City and Chelsea, he had the gall to ask us to buy better players and when we did he wanted out, he said shit like he enjoyed playing in centre midfield and then used that as a reason as to why he wanted to leave, he fucks old women for money while his wife is pregnant, he comes back every pre-season looking a fat cunt, and he's currently taking up a position where two real beautiful young men like Juan and Shinji can't play in.

Fuck Rooney.

1798210_703655053026746_1002466998_n.jpg

The greatest player that will retire at your club, baby.

Wilbur

Banned
He makes some great points, but those are all things we knew already. I think most everyone here has a second team that they enjoy seeing succeed, but usually, as Wilson is talking about, they come from a different setting. Wooden likes Copenhagen, Chelsea and I think Palermo. I like Liverpool and Yokohama F Marinos, with a soft spot for Juventus.

We give a lot of shit to two-teamers who pick the biggest teams from the biggest leagues and declare fandom for them. Those people deserve all the shit we give them.

Yeah, like I say in the post below I agree with this more.

Wooden says he loves and will die for the Nords of Copenhagen, but likes Chelsea and Palermo too. That's absolutely fine by me; same with Linius whose true love is Ajax but also follows Barca. Fady professed he supported Chelsea and Barca similar amounts but I would say it's pretty apparent he likes Chelsea more!

It's CUNTS like Pulga who get to me

CUNTS

Or Suen :looooooool. It's not even about glory hunting or anything considering it's Parma and Arsenal. Just the fact that he routinely seems like he's having conversations with himself is funny.

operon

I remember him saying something along the lines of he doesn't think he'll play into his mid 30s like Scholes and Giggs

300k until he's 34

moyes why

I thought it was interesting that he preaches a more casual type of enjoyment from following a second team, that appeals to me far more. Like I've said, I really enjoy watching Juve, Roma and Fiorentina and following their results.

I know a few Coventry fans actually that also like Arsenal or Chelsea or Liverpool; they have a Prem team to follow and their real team, but they make the distinction clear between support and follow.

I can see that point, but it's people who support say united and real Madrid, or Liverpool and Bayern etc etc

He makes some great points, but those are all things we knew already. I think most everyone here has a second team that they enjoy seeing succeed, but usually, as Wilson is talking about, they come from a different setting. Wooden likes Copenhagen, Chelsea and I think Palermo. I like Liverpool and Yokohama F Marinos, with a soft spot for Juventus, though it's more that I'd rather see our Juvebros happy than it is I want to see the club be successful.

correct

ib1Aew5rAXqyYS.gif

Kikarian

I don't think Rooney know's what he wants. He asks for something, get's it, then get's bored and moans about it.

He asked to leave back in 2010 to go to Chelsea, then wrote in his book it was his worst choice of his career to leave united...Then goes and does it again.

Elchele

Rooney is great. one of the best offensive players in the world
he's the only reason why Manchester United are still in CL

but he must be kind of a cunt/idiot

operon

Yeah, like I say in the post below I agree with this more.

Wooden says he loves and will die for the Nords of Copenhagen, but likes Chelsea and Palermo too. That's absolutely fine by me; same with Linius whose true love is Ajax but also follows Barca. Fady professed he supported Chelsea and Barca similar amounts but I would say it's pretty apparent he likes Chelsea more!

It's CUNTS like Pulga who get to me

CUNTS

Or Suen :looooooool. It's not even about glory hunting or anything considering it's Parma and Arsenal. Just the fact that he routinely seems like he's having conversations with himself is funny.

Supporting arsenal along with another team just means your an anti-glory hunter. looking for failure as opposed to victory

GorillaJu

300k until he's 34

moyes why

I once met a guy at a family get-together in the States who said he was a huge football fan. I asked what team he likes, if any, and he said his whole family are big fans of Barcelona and Real Madrid. To be fair, those two clubs do their damnedest to make sure no one in America sees anything but their games.

Also met a guy here in Japan who told me his favorite club is Milan. I said oh cool, I like to watch Juventus. He says "Cool, Juve is like my third favorite team." First is Milan, third is Juve, who is second? "My second favorite team is Inter."

:lol

pulga

Banned

CL? He's the only reason why they're still in the top flight lol

Slizz

I once met a guy at a family get-together in the States who said he was a huge football fan. I asked what team he likes, if any, and he said his whole family are big fans of Barcelona and Real Madrid. To be fair, those two clubs do their damnedest to make sure no one in America sees anything but their games.

Also met a guy here in Japan who told me his favorite club is Milan. I said oh cool, I like to watch Juventus. He says "Cool, Juve is like my third favorite team." First is Milan, third is Juve, who is second? "My second favorite team is Inter."

Thats how you know they are super casual fans and probably just enjoy the sport itself.

Stay away from this post Yurt. It's for your own safety.

"@mhardysport 8m

KuGsj.gif

Makes me laugh when managers with no historic connection to their club try and impress the fans by propping up a rivalry even when it makes no sense. No Newcastle fan would be annoyed if he'd just said 'of course I'd love for us to be playing in a final, though I'd rather not be facing a relegation battle.

Regarding this Rooney contract, has a player ever signed a long-term contract which becomes more and more performance-based as it goes on, to guard against a decline? Rooney will hit 30 what, 2 years in? So if he's there til the end, you'll be paying £300,000 a week to a 33 year old who will most probably have massive fitness issues by then.

Does he even bring in that much money on the marketing side ala Ronaldo? He doesn't seem very sellable these days.

L1NETT

Fucking goldfish fans :p. Top tier team for what, like 3 decades? Lower league fans don't need nae prem team to support. Can enjoy that league without picking sides.

And yeah, supporting and following is a big distinction.

Same way i'd follow the San Diego Chargers, but I ain't no fan.

Supporting arsenal along with another team just means your an anti-glory hunter. looking for failure as opposed to victory

If you are like 13 and only play FIFA then sure.

But supporting one of England's biggest clubs, humdehum.

Wilbur

Banned

What does this even mean?

If it's 'the only reason why Manchester United qualified for the CL last year', well Rio, Carrick, RVP and De Gea were all better than Rooney last year.

If it's 'the only reason they qualified from their group', he played well in both Leverkusen games like most of the team but wasn't spectacular in the others.

So what did you mean?

pulga

Banned

lol there's an egyptian guy in my class and he declared his favorite team to be Inter, whilst adding that Juve is his second favorite team. almost had a stroke there meself.

Kikarian

I've never really followed another team. I watch almost all football matches, just because it's football.

I'll watch Ajax, as I tend to just like their style, but never really followed them. If you asked me what were there last 5 results, I wouldn't have a clue.

Salvadora

Fuck Rooney.
You know you're being too harsh on Rooney when you're pining for the likes of Kagawa :lol, who simply isn't good enough for United.

I was going to use an Arsenal example to demonstrate how absurd it sounds, but couldn't think of a sub-par midfielder that we currently have looooool.

lol there's an egyptian guy in my class and he declared his favorite team to be Inter, whilst adding that Juve is his second favorite team. almost had a stroke there meself.

iUuO8AGlvy7CK.gif

You guys are going to kill Yurt.

You know you're being too harsh on Rooney when you're pining for the likes of Kagawa :lol. Who simply isn't good enough for United.

I was going to use an Arsenal example to demonstrate how absurd it sounds, but couldn't think of a sub-par midfielder that we currently have looooool.

He's been shit, but it's not totally his fault. The team plays horrible football and there is no movement at all. To say he's not good enough for United is just dishonest, unless you think the 2012 Dortmund team isn't as good as the current United.

pulga

Banned
You know you're being too harsh on Rooney when you're pining for the likes of Kagawa :lol. Who simply isn't good enough for United.

arteta
flamini
wilshere

r u even tryin m8

Wilbur

Banned
Fucking goldfish fans :p. Top tier team for what, like 3 decades? Lower league fans don't need nae prem team to support. Can enjoy that league without picking sides.

Oh I agree with you! I couldn't follow another team in the same country (I do look out for Charlton, Wimbledon and Sutton's result, but couldn't give a toss what they were really).

that he's why you got out of the group stage. scoring goals is not the only thing he does

I didn't say scoring goals. I said played well.

GorillaJu

If you are like 13 and only play FIFA then sure.

But supporting one of England's biggest clubs, humdehum.

My man

1533864_10153695136205500_1736787394_n.jpg

My niece

Salvadora

He's been shit, but it's not totally his fault. The team plays horrible football and there is no movement at all. To say he's not good enough for United is just dishonest, unless you think the 2012 Dortmund team isn't as good as the current United.
Bundesliga, innit.

Even Pizarro could look good against Bundesliga team #13.

Kikarian

“You can change your wife, your politics, your religion, but never, never can you change your favourite football team.” - Eric Cantona

Wilbur

Banned
You know you're being too harsh on Rooney when you're pining for the likes of Kagawa :lol, who simply isn't good enough for United.

Kagawa was good enough for Borussia Dortmund so really he should be good enough for United. Maybe not suited to the Premier League and definitely not suited to our style of play, but calling into question his quality is a bit far.

I don't like Rooney, I don't like that he's going to be paid so much money by us, I don't like that he'll be our captain, I don't like that he'll be our top scorer. He has fucked over the club time and time again and we're stupid enough to let it keep happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom