• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT15| smoking Top of the League cigars may cause Liver failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least Toure is likeable. Carragher is a flat-out prick.

Likability doesn't come into it

iOFDY3EGYr41N.png

pulga

Banned
He's already bandied around as one of the top three or five, isn't he? So yeah, given some time I can see it.

I miss him so much. He had his faults, but he was just incredible. I could never imagine some old purple cunt (apart from pictures of Whoopi Goldberg's fanny) would bring me so much joy.

Nah, he only won two CLs in 26 years at the helm. Give Mourinho 26 years at United and he'd easily beat Fergie's silverware haul. Not to diss Fergus, of course.

Salvadora

Nah, he only won two CLs in 26 years at the helm. Give Mourinho 26 years at United and he'd easily beat Fergie's silverware haul. Not to diss Fergus, of course.
That only strengthens the argument for Ferguson, doesn't it? That he was able to remain successful (at the same club) for 26 years, building team after team and never losing focus.

Wilbur

Banned

Well we weren't a good side until around 1991, so that's 5 years off already. Plus I'd think 26 years at one club is harder than going straight to already expensively well assembled clubs like Chelsea and inter and Madrid, like Mourinho has done. Fergie has to keep rebuilding squads. Mourinho has two in 13/14 years of being a manager, and he's been able to walk into whatever job he wants in the world for ten of them.

He also made two more finals and was only beaten by arguably the best side ever, so it could have been four.

Yen

It was more difficult to win the CL in the early days, up until the early 00s - two group stages. I think it's a bit easier to have your team set up for two legs.

Ferguson built numerous teams out of one club to dominate English football for 20 years, and has led teams which didn't have the best players to titles.

Even though Mourinhpo may well end up with a trophy haul larger than Ferguson's (will obviously win more European honours) I can't help but think that Ferguson will be regarded as the better manager.

Also worth mentioning the great things he achieved with Aberdeen.

pulga

Banned
That only strengthens the argument for Ferguson, doesn't it? That he was able to remain successful (at the same club) for 26 years, building team after team and never losing focus.

Don't think it does, just speaks about his unwavering commitment, something which Mourinho sorely lacks. Only 2 CLs in such a long time is a big black mark for me.

Wilbur

Banned
Don't think it does, just speaks about his unwavering commitment, something which Mourinho sorely lacks. Only 2 CLs in such a long time is a big black mark for me.

As people have said, the fact that there was two group stages meant it was harder to keep/winthe trophy. Plus the fact that we were a relatively poor team until 1991 or 2 meant that we didn't even qualify for the CL until we won the league.

I think it's a black mark in terms of his overwhelming domestic success, but considering the other clubs to win it, the CL is a notoriously hard one to win. 26 years at one club is harder than 15 at five clubs, like Mourinho.

Four finals in 26 years is good going. Mourinho's made two finals in 15 years.

Clegg

Fuckin Barcelona.

Fergie's legacy of 'only' two CL's is down to them. That team is possibly the best ever. Three Champions League finals in four years and we only won once. Any other team than Barca and I think we would've won all three.

pulga

Banned
Ferguson built numerous teams out of one club to dominate English football for 20 years, and has led teams which didn't have the best players to titles.

Even though Mourinhpo may well end up with a trophy haul larger than Ferguson's (will obviously win more European honours) I can't help but think that Ferguson will be regarded as the better manager.

Also worth mentioning the great things he achieved with Aberdeen.

Fair enough. It's important to make the distinction between "manager", "coach", "tactician", etc. Fergie is definitely the better manager, but other's are definitely better coaches and tacticians.

It was more difficult to win the CL in the early days, up until the early 00s - two group stages. I think it's a bit easier to have your team set up for two legs.

kk

Well we weren't a good side until around 1991, so that's 5 years off already. Plus I'd think 26 years at one club is harder than going straight to already expensively well assembled clubs like Chelsea and inter and Madrid, like Mourinho has done. Fergie has to keep rebuilding squads. Mourinho has two in 13/14 years of being a manager, and he's been able to walk into whatever job he wants in the world for ten of them.

He also made two more finals and was only beaten by arguably the best side ever, so it could have been four.

wilbs pls dont speak in "coulda beens" you're better than that

Fuckin Barcelona.

Fergie's legacy of 'only' two CL's is down to them. That team isn possibly the best ever. Three Champions League finals in four years and we only won once. Any other team than Barca and I think we would've won all three.

I was fucking petrified of the possibility of playing yous lot in the final in 06/07 :p

Would've been the ultimate best way to win/worst way to lose match

Has there ever been a Barca vs Madrid final in the European Cup/CL?

pulga

Banned
As people have said, the fact that there was two group stages meant it was harder to keep/winthe trophy. Plus the fact that we were a relatively poor team until 1991 or 2 meant that we didn't even qualify for the CL until we won the league.

I think it's a black mark in terms of his overwhelming domestic success, but considering the other clubs to win it, the CL is a notoriously hard one to win. 26 years at one club is harder than 15 at five clubs, like Mourinho.

Four finals in 26 years is good going. Mourinho's made two finals in 15 years.

not fair to compare Fergie's career at United with Mourinho's whole career though. SAF managed for 39 years.

pulga

Banned
I was fucking petrified of the possibility of playing yous lot in the final in 06/07 :p

Would've been the ultimate best way to win/worst way to lose match

Has there ever been a Barca vs Madrid final in the European Cup/CL?

never. better pray there isn't, that's how WWIII will come to pass

Wilbur

Banned
not fair to compare Fergie's career at United with Mourinho's whole career though. SAF managed for 39 years.

Well even comparing the two there Fergie still comes off more favourably. Since 2002 when Mourinho started winning things with Porto (one of the giants in the league) he's then gone to the richest club in England, one of the giants in Italy while Juventus and Milan were still in relative disarray, a Madrid side with only one genuine rival and now back to Chelsea.

Fergie took over Aberdeen and broke up Old Firm domination and won a European trophy. That's absolutely mental with a team like Aberdeen.

Salvadora

Wilbur, was it you or someone else here that posted about Carlos Queiroz's influence on how United set up against Barcelona when you beat them in 2008? And how Ferguson subsequently changed the tactics when you faced them next (and then lost).

It made me wonder how different his legacy might be (European, wise) if he had stuck with it.

Wilbur

Banned
Wilbur, was it you or someone else here that posted about Carlos Queiroz's influence on how United set up against Barcelona when you beat them in 2008? And how Ferguson subsequently changed the tactics when you faced them next (and then lost).

It made me wonder how different his legacy might be (European, wise) if he had stuck with it.

Slizz or KidA I think, but yeah. Fergie's natural inclination to attack let him down a bit there.

We'd have won with Moyes.

pulga

Banned
Well even comparing the two there Fergie still comes off more favourably. Since 2002 when Mourinho started winning things with Porto (one of the giants in the league) he's then gone to the richest club in England, one of the giants in Italy while Juventus and Milan were still in relative disarray, a Madrid side with only one genuine rival and now back to Chelsea.

Fergie took over Aberdeen and broke up Old Firm domination and won a European trophy. That's absolutely mental with a team like Aberdeen.

somewhere, Lambda is turning in his grave

yurt is probably twitching as well

pls

Salvadora

The last decade hasn't been kind to Wenger's legacy, unfortunately :/

I do very much hope he goes out as a winner, and not as how much of the press and public see Arsenal at the minute. He's a top class manager.

LegoArmo

I do very much hope he goes out as a winner, and not as how much of the press and public see Arsenal at the minute. He's a top class manager.

Wenger is a great tactician but seems mentally weak and it rubs off on his players.

Wilbur

Banned
The best managers around are Mou, Pep and Klopp right now I think. It's not controversial and everyone will agree, but they're a step above everyone else. Simeone and Conte are doing great jobs, Wenger is always brilliant (with caveats!), and then there is managers doing great jobs in teams not right at the top like Montella, Martinez, Tuchel, Toral.

Problem with Wenger is that he is absolutely brilliant, but his flaws are far bigger than Fergie's were and they've shown a lot over time. It's down to him you've been able to stay competitive over trast her years, but it's also partly down to him that you're not capitalising on some things the way you should have.

Fuckin Barcelona.

Fergie's legacy of 'only' two CL's is down to them. That team is possibly the best ever. Three Champions League finals in four years and we only won once. Any other team than Barca and I think we would've won all three.
thats aight, you guys are the holland of modern club football

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
The best managers around are Mou, Pep and Klopp right now I think. It's not controversial and everyone will agree, but they're a step above everyone else. Simeone and Conte are doing great jobs, Wenger is always brilliant (with caveats!), and then there is managers doing great jobs in teams not right at the top like Montella, Martinez, Tuchel, Toral.

I think it's funny that you rate Kloppo ahead of Conte. Everyone tends to forget how fucking lucky there were to reach the CL final.

Lewy's four goals aside, it was a fluke.

Well I'm not wrong :lol

post-34715-Jim-Carrey--Oh-Come-On-gif-WgEv.gif

IS VALENCIA ONE OF THE GIANTS IN SPAIN

IS NOTTINGHAM CUNTING FOREST ONE OF THE GIANTS IN ENGLAND

I'm not gonna say you're right, but you're, perhaps, not entirely wrong.

Wilbur

Banned
I think it's funny that you rate Kloppo ahead of Conte. Everyone tends to forget how fucking lucky there were to reach the CL final.

Lewa's four goals aside, it was a fluke.

Well, no. The Malaga match was lucky (although didn't Malaga score an offside goal themselves?). The six group games weren't and nor was them destroying a good Shakhtar side. Also to get out of the group this season, as well as winning two leagues with such a cheaply assembled side and now still competing despite massive injuries...

Conte is superb but let's be honest, the league hasn't been very good the last two years. Only Napoli have been decent over the course of an entire season, Fiorentina were a new team last year and Milan were shit for the first half. I don't think it's controversial to say unless Conte does a bit better in Europe and Serie A returns strong (which it may be doing with Roma strengthening now), it's not as good an achievement as Klopp doing what he did with Dortmund.

Salvadora

Problem with Wenger is that he is absolutely brilliant, but his flaws are far bigger than Fergie's were and they've shown a lot over time. It's down to him you've been able to stay competitive over trast her years, but it's also partly down to him that you're not capitalising on some things the way you should have.
Bit of a catch-22, isn't it.

Wenger is undoubtedly brilliant in some aspects, but clearly behind (and absolutely entrenched) in others. I've long been conflicted when trying to coming to grips with the two. He is both our greatest strength and greatest weakness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom