• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT15| smoking Top of the League cigars may cause Liver failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Lets put it this way, DM is where good midfielders play when they get old and shit. Lampard and Gerrard being good examples.

Skill as in ability, as in technique, as in what you can do with a ball and without. What assets does this person possess. Does that help to clarify? Or back to the original comparison, I think Toure is the better overall player than Fernandinho. A player who plays at DM for Barca as he isn't as good as their attacking players, but plays attack in other teams to a high standard.

Well, that's a different answer. Toure is a better player than Fernandinho, sure. Mesut Ozil is a better footballer than Kieran Gibbs. But I don't think Toure's been better than Fernandinho this season, and I don't think Ozil's been better than Gibbs this season.

Ability and technique mean nothing when, like Toure, you only have the mentality or fight to bother half the time whereas Fernandinho gives his all in every game.

Lets put it this way, DM is where good midfielders play when they get old and shit. Lampard and Gerrard being good examples.

Skill as in ability, as in technique, as in what you can do with a ball and without. What assets does this person possess. Does that help to clarify? Or back to the original comparison, I think Toure is the better overall player than Fernandinho. A player who plays at DM for Barca as he isn't as good as their attacking players, but plays attack in other teams to a high standard.

Toure also played DM for Barca as they didn't have any other better DM's at the time and he's actually a really good DM too. DM is certainly a position you can play in despite your pace wearing off, that doesn't make it a position for worse players though at all, they have to rely on a very different skill set... Which Lampard has proven to be hopeless at time after time, he simply can't do it very well. Technique alone isn't equal how good a footballer a player is, skills is just as much knowing where to position yourself and reading the play.

lol, Warnock dropping a truth bomb that normally goes unsaid

Jake calls a routine save a 'great save' and Colin says, 'nah, it's a good save, not a great one, you'd expect him to make it'

Slot machines and fruities and roulette tables in the background while Moyes blathers on about us needing luck

it killed me

iTfF3VpH9D0n6.gif

Wilbur

Banned
Toure also played DM for Barca as they didn't have any other better DM's at the time and he's actually a really good DM too. DM is certainly a position you can play in despite your pace wearing off, that doesn't make it a position for worse players though at all, they have to rely on a very different skill set... Which Lampard has proven to be hopeless at time after time, he simply can't do it very well. Technique alone isn't equal how good a footballer a player is, skills is just as much knowing where to position yourself and reading the play.

This as well.

Think how incredibly well Busquets reads play, intercepts, passes it to someone that's better going forward. Not that Busquets can't do fancy backheels and shit, but his reading of the game is absolutely impeccable and nine times out of ten he's the most intelligent player on the pitch.

Marc

Starting to want Everton to win, if only so they wouldn't talk about Mourinho's home record at every single home game.

Wilbur - Ozil was on another level entirely at the start of the season though, with Gibbs injured a lot so evens out.

Toure is definitely like Hazard in the "if he can be bothered then they both smash teams" way, but think Toure has been bothered more often. And I think that level has been higher than his teammate personally.

300 thousand of pound! EACH WEEK!?
So angry I take most hideous of revenge on greedy ogre.

I tie together shoelace!

BhFQx1nIEAA23xs.jpg

That Shinji face :lol

Yen

Slept in for most of the first half, watching Italy-Scotland. It's the rugby equivalent of trying to speak after you've bit your tongue.

Toure is definitely like Hazard in the "if he can be bothered then they both smash teams" way, but think Toure has been bothered more often. And I think that level has been higher than his teammate personally.

Ugh I have yet to see a match where Hazard hasn't bothered. Not to say he hasn't had quite a few games where he hasn't done anything much good or been dominated, but it's never seemed like the kind of lazy attitudes that comes from Toure.... More that the whole team has been playing slowly and badly, which makes his job taking on a whole team on his own as the others just stands around looking.

But really, not sure why I'm discussing this, I wouldn't trade Hazard for any player in the league and I'm perfectly happy with him at Chelsea.

Marc

Wait, you mean Lampard who played at DM the last few seasons and won a CL, FA Cup, and Europa league no matter the player involved? Yeah, bullshit, this season he has been poor but he has been very good at DM no matter if it is Mikel, Luis or Ramires playing next to him.

You have to be able to tackle, intercept (read the game) and pass it 5 yards (usually under pressure) which most CM's can do anyway. Anyway, clearly not going anywhere with this debate.

Wilbur

Banned
Wait, you mean Lampard who played at DM the last few seasons and won a CL, FA Cup, and Europa league no matter the player involved? Yeah, bullshit, this season he has been poor but he has been very good at DM no matter if it is Mikel, Luis or Ramires playing next to him.

You have to be able to tackle, intercept (read the game) and pass it 5 yards (usually under pressure) which most CM's can do anyway. Anyway, clearly not going anywhere with this debate.

Lampard's played in a 3 with Mikel/Ramires for most of AVB's/RDM's time, and was rested an awful lot under Benitez. And before that usually played at the top of a diamond or behind Drogba. He's only played deeper the last season or two really, and hasn't been very good at it at all if you ask me.

In fact, he isn't a DM at all. You might be saying he's a DM because of his position he nominally is on the pitch, but that isn't the way he plays and it isn't the way he's asked to play. Part of the reason Chelsea have been poor in recent years is because they haven't had someone that breaks up play like Matic does, and surprise surprise they look infinitely better when they do.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Looking forward to the Palace game, though I am convinced Adnan will be on the bench again, unforgivable if he is, a true sign that Moyes has no idea what he is doing.

The fuck you on about. He's not playing as much of a DM with Luiz or Mikel next to him... With Ramires he often takes the deeper DM role, but with the other it's much more of a traditional CM with lots of attacking. This is his DM stats for last season lol

Tackles Per Game 1.2
Tackles Per Foul 1.5
Interceptions Per Game 0.9

Just look at that for a moment. He's caught so many times not tracking his players when he actually is defending, like when Atletico punished Chelsea hard with that 4-1 match... Go back and look at the highlights of that and look at Lampard just fucking standing still starring half the time. He gets in the way of nothing and rarely wins any balls.

Wilbur

Banned
Wooden, spot on about Lampard. He's been shite for about three years now, but still scores enough goals so that it masks poor performances.

Don't blame Moyes, he's a victim of a terrible condition affecting billions of people around the globe.

fucking gingers

Wilbur

Banned
@OptaStats: Both Man Utd (Rooney) and Chelsea (Lampard) have fat cunts who get in the way of progress at the club. Fat cunts.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Don't blame Moyes, he's a victim of a terrible condition affecting billions of people around the globe. Doesn't help that Adnan is the most overrated player of Europe.

Smart move, not that I would know.

Regardless of what you think of Adnan he is better than Young and better than Valencia, doesnt matter if he is overrated the above is true, he offers more, his application is better and his output is orders of magnitude better.

And yet still we get Young and Valencia

pulga

Banned
I've been everywhere, man
Looking for someone

GgWLllX.gif

Someone who can please me
Love me all night long

modric2.gif

I've been everywhere, man
Looking for you babe

tumblr_mgdn54IYIx1rn1mz3o2_250.gif