• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT15| smoking Top of the League cigars may cause Liver failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjaelke

Yeah, we're not making it out of that group

oyVO9TC.png

Nightmare draw for Belgium, Bosnia will beat us like they did 3 years ago in qualifications and Bale will manhandle us. Doesn't matter anyway, haven't qualified for the Euros since 1984 without organizing the tournament.

L1NETT

N.Ireland got a shout?

Some long trips there.

Shane Ferguson, Norwood, Cathcart. The future.

Scotland/ROI got a toughish group. At least that match should be a good un.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Scotland had a good run. Until we were drawn, of course. We'll be lucky to finish 4th.

Oh well, maybe 2018. Just in time for the 20th Anniversary of the last time we accomplished anything.

And this is the perfect time for England to build a team for the future. They couldn't have had an easier draw.

Arnie

Woken up with a fairly noticeable pain in my chest and back. Also woke up with a nasty cough. Hoping the two are related and I'm not suffering from cardiac arrest. NHS symptom checker tells me to call an ambulance but I can't help feeling that it's being over-cautious.

Zabojnik

Woken up with a fairly noticeable pain in my chest and back. Also woke up with a nasty cough. Hoping the two are related and I'm not suffering from cardiac arrest. NHS symptom checker tells me to call an ambulance but I can't help feeling that it's being over-cautious.

You've had a good run, Arnie. A good run. RIP.
I'm sure it's nothing. :p Woke up to exactly the same situation two weeks back. The chest pain was cough related.

Arnie

You've had a good run, Arnie. A good run. RIP.
I'm sure it's nothing. :p Woke up to exactly the same situation two weeks back. The chest pain was cough related.

Had some paracetamol and the pain has subsided somewhat.

Still kind of there but hopefully it's passing. The irony of it all is my houemate has some £1.99 Big Mac and fries vouchers and he shouted if I wanted one picking up. I said yes, he brought it to me, and I couldn't get past a bite. I pictured the headlines "MAN DIES OF HEART ATTACK WHILST EATING A BIG MAC"

Drinking lots of water and hoping it clears up anything nefarious.

Nightmare draw for Belgium, Bosnia will beat us like they did 3 years ago in qualifications and Bale will manhandle us. Doesn't matter anyway, haven't qualified for the Euros since 1984 without organizing the tournament.

Wales has 2 decent players, extremely easy. Bosnia is good but not as good as Belgium. The rest is a joke. Belgium should be qualifiying easy.

Netherlands group could be easier but whatever, there's no real threat.

Linius

I'm content with our draw. Basically only the Czechs and Turkey can be hard on us. And no way we'll end up below both of them.

Arnie

Still no Luis Alberto on the bench????

I'm fairly happy with our starting XI though.
I don't get the absence of Alberto. He's always looked calm and in control whenever he's come onto the pitch. Done some good through balls as well. Weird. Otherwise happy.
Very strange, isn't it.

Him and Texeira are the same age, so he must believe the latter is better prepared. Considering how we were meant to be looking at a contract extension for Suso (who's a year younger than the pair of them) it doesn't look good for Alberto's prospects.
Our best 11 right now, early goal please!

Also a good draw for Engalnd, not even Hodgson can mess that up.
Aye, please he's dropped Flanagan in at left back, and I'm hoping for a solid performance from Johnson now his fitness issues are behind him.

Arnie

This guys impression of Thierry Henry is spot on. Crazy good. http://youtu.be/awDM0axkCLU?t=1m3s
aha that's top

I have a friend who's an Arsenal fan from Chester and he's a bit of a mess. Very unorganised, can't really fend for himself, doesn't have many belongings. One thing he does have and he carries it around everywhere with him is a framed photo of Henry.

It's fucking hilarious. It's like his horcrux.

sohois

Very strange, isn't it.

Him and Texeira are the same age, so he must believe the latter is better prepared. Considering how we were meant to be looking at a contract extension for Suso (who's a year younger than the pair of them) it doesn't look good for Alberto's prospects.

Aye, please he's dropped Flanagan in at left back, and I'm hoping for a solid performance from Johnson now his fitness issues are behind him.

One shouldn't overthink these things. Alberto and Texeira both play very similar roles so having both on the bench would be fairly pointless.

For a long time people assumed that Texeira was receiving the 'stick' treatment; despite being way above everyone else at reserve level, he never seemed to get a chance at first team level even as the likes of Sinclair and Brannagan did. There were well corroborated reports of a poor attitude in training. Now, Tex is receiving the 'carrot' treatment. Whether that's due to an improvement or as alternative motivation method I don' know.

But in general I would say it is way too soon to say that Tex is now better prepared or preferred based off of 3 games. Remember that Rodgers has hardly used Alberto despite being on the bench for dozens of games, or any of his subs. It's not like Alberto is missing out or anything.

Arnie

One shouldn't overthink these things. Alberto and Texeira both play very similar roles so having both on the bench would be fairly pointless.

For a long time people assumed that Texeira was receiving the 'stick' treatment; despite being way above everyone else at reserve level, he never seemed to get a chance at first team level even as the likes of Sinclair and Brannagan did. There were well corroborated reports of a poor attitude in training. Now, Tex is receiving the 'carrot' treatment. Whether that's due to an improvement or as alternative motivation method I don' know.

But in general I would say it is way too soon to say that Tex is now better prepared or preferred based off of 3 games. Remember that Rodgers has hardly used Alberto despite being on the bench for dozens of games, or any of his subs. It's not like Alberto is missing out or anything.
Whilst I agree we shouldn't overthink things, I do believe it's peculiar to be leaving £8 million worth of player out of the team for an academy graduate with similar discernible skills.

I'm all for encouraging growth from within, and I think in the summer we were able to recognise Texeira and Suso as two emerging AM talents, but why spend the money on Alberto if this is the end result? I think the most obvious answer is, quite honestly, both Alberto and Aspas were mistakes, with the latter definitely on his way out of the club come summer.

Scum

Afternoon, all. Have we lost to Norwich yet?
And just seen the Euro 2016 draw. Surely that's 10 wins and max pts for England...?

Salvadora

The channel that Dibbz posted regularly interview Bully, the pirate look alike Arsenal fan that ya'll laugh about, if you want to take a gander.

He's a laugh.

GorillaJu

Whilst I agree we shouldn't overthink things, I do believe it's peculiar to be leaving £8 million worth of player out of the team for an academy graduate with similar discernible skills.

I'm all for encouraging growth from within, and I think in the summer we were able to recognise Texeira and Suso as two emerging AM talents, but why spend the money on Alberto if this is the end result? I think the most obvious answer is, quite honestly, both Alberto and Aspas were mistakes, with the latter definitely on his way out of the club come summer.

Jumping to conclusions way too fast. These are young players who are bought for the long term. It's like Ilori, there were reports of how we had paid 8m for a player who hasn't got any time in the first team at all and that he must be a flop. Brendan replied that first of all, the prices being reported are way off the mark, and that second the plan since day 1 was to get him training with the team for 6 months then send him out on loan.

I'm certain there's a plan in place for Alberto, he's only 21 years old. Not all players are ready at that age. There are exceptions, like Coutinho, but Cou is a very special player.

Bender is out for "ten weeks". It's the kind of injury that kept Götze, Robben and Badstuber out for like half a year, so don't expect Bender to play again before next season.

This season, man, this season...

Time for Oli Kirch and Jojic to shine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom