• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT15| smoking Top of the League cigars may cause Liver failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

Jumping to conclusions way too fast. These are young players who are bought for the long term. It's like Ilori, there were reports of how we had paid 8m for a player who hasn't got any time in the first team at all and that he must be a flop. Brendan replied that first of all, the prices being reported are way off the mark, and that second the plan since day 1 was to get him training with the team for 6 months then send him out on loan.

I'm certain there's a plan in place for Alberto, he's only 21 years old. Not all players are ready at that age. There are exceptions, like Coutinho, but Cou is a very special player.
There's a difference, though. Ilori fits into a hole in our playing staff in that, given Sakho is left sided and Wisdom is playing every game at fullback, we don't have anyone exceptional coming through in his position. He knows, and we know, that should he develop like his potential suggests he will get into this team in the coming years.

Alberto doesn't have that luxury. Texeira and Suso both look really promising, the latter being far ahead of him at a year younger. Then there's Coutinho as you've mentioned. If we are to take this team to the next level (Champions League level, qualifying consistently) I think we need talent of a higher calibre (see below).
Bender is out for "ten weeks". It's the kind of injury that kept Götze, Robben and Badstuber out for like half a year, so don't expect Bender to play again before next season.

This season, man, this season...

Time for Olli Kirch and Jojic to shine.
I actually feel bad for you guys, and following Micky-gate I felt nothing but hate.

I hope you get back on your feet because then I'll watch the Bundesliga.

sohois

Whilst I agree we shouldn't overthink things, I do believe it's peculiar to be leaving £8 million worth of player out of the team for an academy graduate with similar discernible skills.

I'm all for encouraging growth from within, and I think in the summer we were able to recognise Texeira and Suso as two emerging AM talents, but why spend the money on Alberto if this is the end result? I think the most obvious answer is, quite honestly, both Alberto and Aspas were mistakes, with the latter definitely on his way out of the club come summer.

As OddMorsel says, with their ages it's silly to rush to such conclusions for young players. All three of the players you mentioned could spend the next 2-3 years as fringe players, only getting cameos here and there and going on frequent loans, and they would still all be available to make a move into the first team at the end of that period.

Texeira has made one sub appearance and has been on the bench 2 other times.

"
Alberto doesn't have that luxury. Texeira and Suso both look really promising, the latter being far ahead of him at a year younger. Then there's Coutinho as you've mentioned. If we are to take this team to the next level (Champions League level, qualifying consistently) I think we need talent of a higher calibre (see below). "

Alberto is still far above Texeira, namely for the reason posted above. There's barely a competitive appearance to Texeira's name yet.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
whats everyone watching? Would watch pool but I think its going to be a stomp, Newcastle Villa could be competitive.

Scum

Try and picture a Norwich player scoring. Just try. Nope? Nothing?

Nout but an easy win for youse lot this afternoon. Adebayour will murder them.
Arnie, pls. I know off Tottingham and "easy" games. D:

Bender is out for "ten weeks". It's the kind of injury that kept Götze, Robben and Badstuber out for like half a year, so don't expect Bender to play again before next season.

This season, man, this season...

Time for Oli Kirch and Jojic to shine.

zknS7MG.png

You need a save game editor to remove these injuries.

Arnie

Alberto is still far above Texeira, namely for the reason posted above. There's barely a competitive appearance to Texeira's name yet.

I agree.

Everything I've seen of Alberto has impressed me. He comes on and looks composed beyond his years, takes control of the game and has made some really key passes.

Yet, despite this, he can't seem to get a run of minutes going (even as a substitute) and often doesn't even make the bench. He's 21 years old, not 18, he should be forcing Brendan to put him on the bench at this points (in my opinion). And maybe my beyond biased love for Suso is making me put an unfair ticking clock on Alberto's Liverpool career.

Hope he does come good, I really do.

2N5AA01.png

Nervous as fuck. Don't have a good feeling about this game after that shameful display earlier this week.

I like that the line-up has been shaken up, I just hope the players finally realize that every game we've played in 2014 has been complete shit except maybe the one against Feyenoord. Klaassen, Veltman and De Jong need to step it up. I'm not even counting on Fischer and Van Rhijn anymore.

Linius

Ah Nyx is happy today, his team just scored in the final minutes of the game. Utrecht can surely use them points.

I like that the line-up has been shaken up, I just hope the players finally realize that every game we've played in 2014 has been complete shit except maybe the one against Feyenoord. Klaassen, Veltman and De Jong need to step it up. I'm not even counting on Fischer and Van Rhijn anymore.

Yeah, though I don't want to be too harsh on Siem since he's been injured a long time. I hope it works out well with Duarte in the middle. We need a steady LB, so it's better to have Blind in the back then.

Hixx

"The thing you have to do at #NUFC is look like you're in control of a game, even if you're not. We're good at that..."

0320_lyfq.gif

Zabojnik

So how good is Kevin Kampl? I should know, since he's from here (well, his parents are anyway), but I don't. I'm hearing good things though.

Arnie

Jim Beglin on my stream.

Shit, it's like watching us in the Champions League all those years ago. Fuck, it's foreshadowing.

pls

beglin pls

brendan pls

GARRY MONK PLEASE

Blablurn

Man, it's like your entire team is full of Robbens. Although, now that I think about it, Robben's been pretty solid lately. Maybe he passed the curse on to Dortmund when he buried them?

Robben's fine for some time now already. The injury against Augsburg in the DFB Pokal was not really his fault either. No more glass man!

spidye

So how good is Kevin Kampl? I should know, since he's from here (well, his parents are anyway), but I don't. I'm hearing good things though.

frighteningly good. he will not play in Austria next season.
that's for sure

Robben's fine for some time now already. The injury against Augsburg in the DFB Pokal was not really his fault either. No more glass man!

and this season he's been better than ribery actually. can't believe I'm saying this but this is probably the best robben since his transfer to bayern

Marc

Jim Beglin on my stream.

Shit, it's like watching us in the Champions League all those years ago. Fuck, it's foreshadowing.

pls

beglin pls

brendan pls

GARRY MONK PLEASE

I need Sturridge, Gerrard and Suarez to all score a hattrick each and set up each others goals. Pls arrange this.

Thanks

Linius

Well I'm heading downstairs to watch the game. Time to face our angstgegner. It's like the half the league is our angstgegner these days :(

SHarris78

Come on then Wilfried, lets fire off some blockbusters at Mignolet and get 3 points.

Hopefully we can continue on the momentum from the excellent midweek performance against Napoli.

Blablurn

frighteningly good. he will not play in Austria next season.
that's for sure

and this season he's better than ribery actually. can't believe I'm saying this but this is probably the best robben since his transfer to bayern

Agreed! And it's funny because years later he still has only one trick lol. But it works.

Clegg

Apparently United won't be paying Rooney anything more than what they currently are (250k).

The extra 50k will be paid by sponsors.

Marc

Sturridge, around the keeper to you critical fucks. :D

Sterling did amazing there too. Two players that deserve some recognition, but don't as much as others in London/Manchester and white.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom