• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT15| smoking Top of the League cigars may cause Liver failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Think that has to do with the diversity of foreign talent in EPL teams. You've got tons of players from all over the world, which naturally draws the interest of, well, the world. It's not as marketable to watch an Athletic de Bilbao game where all them cunts are from one region in Spain, or any other spanish team where the majority of players are spaniards. Does this make the EPL a better league? Nope, as evidenced by how all English teams choked this round. It just makes it the most marketable league.

So why don't you (or they) watch more of the better leagues? If a league is better, surely that would lead to more viewership? All the people that you see on Twitter cumming over the Bundesliga, there's still a huge amount that only watch Bayern or Dortmund.

FootballFan

Think that has to do with the diversity of foreign talent in EPL teams. You've got tons of players from all over the world, which naturally draws the interest of, well, the world. It's not as marketable to watch an Athletic de Bilbao game where all them cunts are from one region in Spain, or any other spanish team where the majority of players are spaniards. Does this make the EPL a better league? Nope, as evidenced by how all English teams choked this round. It just makes it the most marketable league.

Most Marketable aye.

ibcj5CFO1vOy29.gif

pulga

Banned
So why don't you (or they) watch more of the better leagues?

Quantity =/= Quality

I guess I'd say because it's more entertaining, again, because of the diversity of foreign talent. It's an exciting melting pot. Doesn't mean the EPL is of better quality though. I've found myself bored to tears watching some of the big clashes this season. Hell, I think Arsenal v Liverpool is the only one that's delivered, so far.

Wilbur

Banned
Quantity =/= Quality

I guess I'd say because it's more entertaining, again, because of the diversity of foreign talent. It's an exciting melting pot. Doesn't mean the EPL is of better quality though. I've found myself bored to tears watching some of the big clashes this season. Hell, I think Arsenal v Liverpool is the only one that's delivered, so far.

It's more entertaining, yeah. So therefore, it's the best league. Vincent van Gogh is a better painter than bud, but whose drawings do you enjoy more?

It's like when people go "this is a favourite movies list, not a best movies list". Who the fuck is sitting around only making lists of ones that are technically very good or well acclaimed, and not actually their favourites? Fucking mangoes, that's who. If something - especially football, which is and always has been a source of entertainment, and is primarily watched to entertain - is the most entertaining, then that's really just a way to say it's the best. It may not have the best quality teams, but its teams are a high enough level on average that it's relatively enjoyable to watch more often than not.

Facism

Facism pls, you're not even listed as a supporter of a specific football club on the first page. I've seen you root for both Galatasaray and Fenerbahce, which is frankly appalling. No self-respecting Turk does that.

zabo pls, i watch football for the spectacle of it, not to support rich man-babbies, nor do i hold stock in any specific team :) I watch Juve occasionally because i like the team, god forbid i'd have to carry a fucking Juve season ticket to validate that :p It's not a way of life, merely a fun diversion and opportunity for banter :p

pulga

Banned
You guys see Saint Iker's tonight?

34atajon-de-iker-casillas-a-draxler.gif

Legend <3

It's more entertaining, yeah. So therefore, it's the best league. Vincent van Gogh is a better painter than bud, but whose drawings do you enjoy more?

It's like when people go "this is a favourite movies list, not a best movies list". Who the fuck is sitting around only making lists of ones that are technically very good or well acclaimed, and not actually their favourites? Fucking mangoes, that's who. If something - especially football, which is and always has been a source of entertainment, and is primarily watched to entertain - is the most entertaining, then that's really just a way to say it's the best. It may not have the best quality teams, but its teams are a high enough level on average that it's relatively enjoyable to watch more often than not.

I guess we have different definitions of what the best league is. I consider the best league to be the one with the best quality teams. As it stands, the EPL is the one with the most average and marketable teams.

Wilbur

Banned
You guys see Saint Iker's tonight?

34atajon-de-iker-casillas-a-draxler.gif

Legend <3

I guess we have different definitions of what the best league is. I consider the best league to be the one with the best quality teams. As it stands, the EPL is the one with the most average and marketable teams.

So what would you say is the best league? La Liga? There's three superb teams there, then three or four very good teams (Sociedad, Bilbao, Villarreal, Sevilla, maybe Valencia). I don't think there's much change from the PL in that regard.

I just find the notion of you finding something the best hard when you seem to watch more Premier League games than you do La Liga games. And that's nothing to do with marketability, because you're able to watch all the games now through streams. It might be times you're available, whatever. But if you're preferring to watch Premier League games over La Liga games, then it's odd you'd think that league which you're shunning in favour of another is better.

Great save, btw

GorillaJu

lol plug pls

The PL's bottom of the table team signed the leading scorer from Olympiakos. The bottom team, spending 15m on a striker.

The league is intense as fuck, no game is ever easy for any team. Teams in shit leagues spend weeks preparing and resting players for big CL matches because their B teams can walk over their lower table opposition and they can just have a jog out in those matches. PL teams are gasping for breath when these CL fixtures come out as injuries pile up.

But like I said I'm tired of this argument. The truth is evident for everyone to see.

Hey guys my penis is bigger than yours

Also my dad can beat up your dad

Also my preferred football league is the best in the world

We prefer the PL because it's the best. It isn't the best because we prefer it.

L1NETT

Competitive.

Three leagues below it are more so.

---

Also, RIP Dean Richards. Sure 3Sixty and Usho will agree, absolute legend and a class act.

3 Years ago today, or yesterday technically.

:(

Yeah good luck to me trying to watch that on TV.

I already watch Danish football in person which is enough for me really.

Fair

Blame Sky for their endless dull "Super" Sundays where half the nations dozes off watching Fulham/Norwich/whomeever else play dreary 0-0 stuff

Bung on one the 40 games or whatever below it.

Rubbish defending, proper grounds, proper atmospheres, awful goalkeeping

Telly gold

pulga

Banned
So what would you say is the best league? La Liga? There's three superb teams there, then three or four very good teams (Sociedad, Bilbao, Villarreal, Sevilla, maybe Valencia). I don't think there's much change from the PL in that regard.

I just find the notion of you finding something the best hard when you seem to watch more Premier League games than you do La Liga games. And that's nothing to do with marketability, because you're able to watch all the games now through streams. It might be times you're available, whatever. But if you're preferring to watch Premier League games over La Liga games, then it's odd you'd think that league which you're shunning in favour of another is better.

Great save, btw

You said it yourself, bud is the more entertaining painter but Van Gogh is undoubtedly the more talented one. Or maybe how Tarantino's output is more entertaining that Scorcese's, but Martin's is of higher quality (don't necessarily believe this, but roll with it). Which one is better? Subjective to how people rate quality vs. entertainment.

Wilbur

Banned
You said it yourself, bud is the more entertaining painter but Van Gogh is undoubtedly the more talented one. Or maybe how Tarantino's output is more entertaining that Scorcese's, but Martin's is of higher quality (don't necessarily believe this, but roll with it). Which one is better? Subjective to how people rate quality vs. entertainment.

I think football has to be judged on entertainment far more so than movies or art though, surely. I can sit and watch two hours of harrowing wartime drama that moves at a languid snail's pace. Much harder to watch slow paced football matches than it is a slow paced film. What you're looking for in football is to be entertained. So why would you rate something that is higher quality but less entertaining higher?

pulga

Banned
lol plug pls

The PL's bottom of the table team signed the leading scorer from Olympiakos. The bottom team, spending 15m on a striker.

The league is intense as fuck, no game is ever easy for any team. Teams in shit leagues spend weeks preparing and resting players for big CL matches because their B teams can walk over their lower table opposition and they can just have a jog out in those matches. PL teams are gasping for breath when these CL fixtures come out as injuries pile up.

But like I said I'm tired of this argument. The truth is evident for everyone to see.

which shit leagues are you talking about? Certainly not La Liga, Madrid consistently fields its best starting XI against any minnow team because there's absolutely no room for error in La Liga. EPL teams gasping for air? There's no air to breathe in Spain. It's do or die.

I dont know what happened...maybe room service wasnt very nice to Carlotti and he said "fuck it!".

ehtjodnkxqac.jpg

Look at that shit...

what am i looking at

it's madrids best XI

pulga

Banned
You guys are comparing van Gogh, movies and football right now.

Please stop.

Yeah it's getting stupid lol. Have to wake up early to do a Powerpoint presentation due at 10 am, since I did fuck all today. Fucking football.

I'll just say I think Roy Keane hit the nail right on the head. Who knew he could be so insightful!

K1LLER7

PL has a wider range of teams which are close abilty wise. Although not as good as Bayern/Madrid etc individually. Never know how a season will end unless a number of teams capitualte.

Wilbur

Banned
Curx of the matter is; the best things should be the ones you enjoy the most.

You can apply that to movies; did I like Superbad or Anna Karenina more, despite which one was made with more artistic or technical skill?

You can apply it to food; do I enjoy a greasy burger or a four year roasted quail cock more?

You can apply it to sex; do I like a stunningly dirty blowjob from Arnie, or a quick fuck by a well trained prostitute that wants me in and out clinically?

It's always about entertainment. Fuck your 'bests'. Bests are thrown around by people who are scared to admit they enjoyed something someone else might think is shit.

And I enjoyed Cardiff versus Villa.

pulga

Banned
Return leg vs Shalke is five days before El Clasico. So happy we're gonna be able to field a B-team against them :3 Don't think Barca is gonna be able to do the same though...

Yeah it's getting stupid lol. Have to wake up early to do a Powerpoint presentation due at 10 am, since I did fuck all today. Fucking football.

I'll just say I think Roy Keane hit the nail right on the head. Who knew he could be so insightful!

To be honest, I don't know why would anyone think PL is the best league. Our best were not as good as Barca, RM for quite a few years, and now with Bayern.

Still, things are improving. I think Liverpool (if Suarez is still in the team) and Manchester City could possibly compete with them at an equal level next year.

Batigol

Banned
I like all leagues equally. Except the SPL. I fucking hate Scottish football.

iGEVNSd8v2Man.gif

I made this for you all. I don't know what it means

pulga

Banned
Curx of the matter is; the best things should be the ones you enjoy the most.

You can apply that to movies; did I like Superbad or Anna Karenina more, despite which one was made with more artistic or technical skill?

You can apply it to food; do I enjoy a greasy burger or a four year roasted quail cock more?

You can apply it to sex; do I like a stunningly dirty blowjob from Arnie, or a quick fuck by a well trained prostitute that wants me in and out clinically?

It's always about entertainment. Fuck your 'bests'. Bests are thrown around by people who are scared to admit they enjoyed something someone else might think is shit.

And I enjoyed Cardiff versus Villa.

Nathan that makes no sense at all. I'll enjoy a re-watch of Superbad more than I'll enjoy a re-watch of Shawshank Redemption, but that doesn't fucking mean Superbad is better. What the hell are you on about lol

Brendan the betrayor

Tbh I don't think he'd leave us even for City.

A lot of variables I think

If he gets us solidly in the top 4 for like 3 years in a row with the odd title challenge, and FSG don't reward that with substantial funds, I could see his head being turned

As it is, he's the perfect manager for us, and we're the perfect club for him

3Sixty

Also, RIP Dean Richards. Sure 3Sixty and Usho will agree, absolute legend and a class act.

3 Years ago today, or yesterday technically.

:(

Aye mate, very sad. Hit me quite hard when he passed. So young and I actually remember seeing him play several times and even meeting him.

Messi

Nathan that makes no sense at all. I'll enjoy a re-watch of Superbad more than I'll enjoy a re-watch of Shawshank Redemption, but that doesn't fucking mean Superbad is better. What the hell are you on about lol

Tron Legacy is better than Shawshank Redemption. TO ME. TO ME. Thats what opinions are about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom