• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT15| smoking Top of the League cigars may cause Liver failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

sohois

Sohois, pls. Deep down, you know.

In the end I don't think Hodgson is a thoroughly stupid man. Of course, the likes of Johnson and Davis might as well not exist to him, given they don't play for big clubs, but still when faced with a choice between several big club players there is just no way I can see him opting for Townsend over Ox or Cleverly over Henderson.

Hixx

Jones ahead of Jagielka, Killer? Think Jagielka is having a great season and Jones is letting important years where he should be learning and gaining experience at the back go to waste waffling on in midfield.

-

It's hilarious how many times I've been called an "old cunt" on FIFA because my PSN tag has 73 at the end of it. This manc cunt got two players sent off for ridiculous challenges while screaming "YOU OLD GEORDIE CUNT" down his mic while I did my best Sam Allardyce impression down mine

1382925344408xdeq9.gif

Scum

He pick Caulker. A player whose team currently is on -28 goal difference.
Also he seems to avoid picking players who are playing well at the moment Routledge would be a good choice as he has been great lately. (please be good tonight swansea!)
He's scared of the press "backlash". "y u no pick our favourite?"

Hixx

Why has he picked four keepers when we all fucking know he will play Hart in every single minute of the WC that he is fit?
KuGsj.gif

subtles

Hodgson would rather attend a game with three England internationals playing over one where there are six (for the same team) on the pitch.

Proper Scouting

Milking dat popularity. He knows he it won't last for much longer, as he's about to descend into footballing anonymity.

Here he is speaking to Japanese media:
"I thought we needed to build some rhythm. We have a lot of goal scoring finishers, but we hadn't been able to build up to a goal scoring opportunity. So I went in thinking I'd like to win back our rhythm, but it was harder than I imagined. The manager just told me to go out and get on the ball. And I was confident I could create opportunities if I could just get on the ball, but the ball wouldn't come my way, as we resorted to many long balls. There were so many more situations where I was available to receive the ball, but... Well, it's done and over, so what can I say.

I thought I might get an outing today. It's vexing that I couldn't contribute results, but I have to carry on day by day. My given situation isn't going to dramatically change, so I'll just keep plugging away. Whatever the situation, you've got to keep on trudging. I'm not taking it negatively. I get more freedom in the CL anyway(as opposed to league), and my abilities are more useful (in the CL). We still have the return leg. I've got a good 'image' in my mind of what we need to do to win the return leg, and we definitely have a shot at turning this around at home, so I'll prepare for that."

WJD

This is pretty great.

t5vk2lr.png

PHOTO: An emotional @LukeShaw3 picks up the phone to spread news of his first #England call-up. #saintsfc

danwarb

Hodgson would rather attend a game with three England internationals playing over one where there are six (for the same team) on the pitch.

Proper Scouting

He's boycotting Anfield because they wouldn't let him into the directors box one time.

sohois

I was looking up the World Cup draw on a whim today, and it got me in the mood to make a crazy and bold prediction. It's not really in my nature to do so, but I don't think anyone is interested in reading a range of probability distributions over expected outcomes, so I figured a more definitive approach was better. so:

England are going to reach the Semi-Finals at the 2014 World Cup (and probably play terrible football all the way there)

My reasoning: first of all I don't think the group stage poses a big challenge. I see a win over Costa Rica, and a 1-1 draw and 1-0 win over the other 2. Hodgson has already shown he can grind out a result against Italy, and that was with the super shitty Euros team. As for Uruguay, yes they have Suarez, but the rest of the team? Cavani doesn't do well for them, whilst the others are all either well past it or players who couldn't cut it in Europe.

Then you get to the 4th round and things are decidedly easier here. Group D contains Colombia (sans Falcao), Ivory Coast, Japan and Greece. It won't be pretty, but 2-1 wins against any of those lot.

So getting to the Quarter finals doesn't really seem much of a challenge to me. Reaching the Semis seems a much taller order, with Spain as likely opponents if England win the group. I'm assuming here that Hodgson will set up with his usual super defensive tactics, but against Spain it will be to their advantage. The Barca cunts who make up the spine of the team, when faced with the defensive stuff they have failed against time and again, suffer a mass breakdown and England nick the win from a set-piece.

So that's the path to the Semis. England's luck probably runs out by that time and they get hammered. That's my bet.

Of course this is all reliant on Hodgson taking a semblance of decent players and not fucking Cleverly and Lampard.

Erm, seeing as most people didn't notice it first time around, now seems a good time to requote my predictions from earlier. I stand by it for now, seeing as Hodge hasn't quite gone off the deep yet with the WC teams yet to be chosen.

subtles

He's boycotting Anfield because they wouldn't let him into the directors box one time.

I wasn't even talking about Liverpool, he'll be back when we play the likes of City and Chelsea.

It's just that some clubs lower down the table never get a look in, even if the majority of said teams are English players.

wedward

Seems like Shaw has jumped ahead of Gibbs in the pecking order. Or it's because Gibbs is injured right now. Wouldn't mind Gibbs not going to the WC. He is too fragile.

L1NETT

Woy you frogspawn.

Smalling and Cleverley?

May as well take a fan who won a competition.

Done nothing to warrant a place in the Luxembourg squad, let alone the England one.

Fergie

Banned
I feel for Kagawa.

Every time I've seen United this season they've looked so.......static.

tumblr_mv63u0AuFc1ra0ya9o1_400.gif
UCL was a anomaly. PL form has now seeped in.

Seems like Shaw has jumped ahead of Gibbs in the pecking order. Or it's because Gibbs is injured right now. Wouldn't mind Gibbs not going to the WC. He is too fragile.
Most likely injured, I think he should be first choice anyway.

Batigol

Banned
Late, but Cleverley and Townsend have no business being anywhere near that team. Shit, what has Defoe done either. What a shit fucking squad

4-2-3-1

Team should be

Code:
         Hart

Baines-Terry-Cahill-Someone off the street is better than Walker

Gerrard-Henderson

Sterling              Ox
            Rooney

Sturridge

Terry has been England's best CB for years. Fuck ya'll

Marc

Cleverley?

Is this some sort of sick joke?

Defoe?

Oh man, so many shit decisions in the England set up... and yet I am always shocked by them.

Why do we need 3 leftbacks? One of them being Cole who hasn't even played ffs, why not Gibbs (still injured I guess)? And you are telling me that Kyle sodding Walker has been better than Clyne, or Flanno for that matter?

How Milner is even a premier league footballer, I don't know, but an England international nailed on pick is disgusting. Adam Johnson shits on him from a great height.Can actually beat a man, pass, score, keep the ball, make intelligent runs... basically all the things you need at international level. Ugh

And tactically we still won't play with a DM, which is like not playing a goalkeeper at international level.

Of that shite I would go with:

Forster

Johnson Jones Smalling Baines

Wilshere Cahill Barkley

Ox Sturridge Sterling

Picking youth where possible, or untainted 'good' players if not. I think they would all go out and play with no fear. Would maybe swap Wilshere for Lallana, and Cahill for Gerrard/Lampard (both too slow and past it now) depending on the opponent but none of those options fill me with confidence. Its a real problem position for us at DM, we haven't really had anyone since Butt and he was probably our best player in 02. Smalling and Jones are simply because they were a great CB partnership at U21 level and its always been a good indicator of how you do as a full international. Both have been messed about with playing as RB's, midfielders and teaboy's. Also would give us some half-decent options on the bench to help win a game. Will never happen and building to the next tournament is frowned upon despite all the evidence showing its better to do it that way.

L1NETT

I'd go right attacking. Assuming Jag is fit for the WC

Hart

Wisdom (come at me) Cahill Jag Baines

Barkley Henderson

Sturridge Wilshere Ox

300ney

Sterling and Lallana as impact subs.

WC Champions
of the group

Forster

Johnson Jones Smalling Baines

Wilshere Cahill Barkley

Ox Sturridge Sterling

Cahill in centre mid?

Smalling?

No Wayne

You craaaaaazy

---

Also, DAT ARROW ENDING

Next week let's fucking go

Meier

Milner does his job well at City. He should be there. Delph being overlooked again is sad but not unexpected. Barry absolutely should be back in the team -- he has been excellent this season. Hart had his rough patch but other than not closing his legs for Alves, has been very good since he got back into City's team. Definitely England's #1.

On to more important news, here's the draw for the QFs and on in the UEFA Youth League.

Quarter-finals (11/12, 18/19 March)
1 FC Barcelona v Arsenal FC
2 Chelsea FC v FC Schalke 04
3 Paris Saint-Germain v Real Madrid CF
4 Manchester City FC v SL Benfica

Semi-finals (11 April, Nyon)
Winner of quarter-final 3 v Winner of quarter-final 4
Winner of quarter-final 2 v Winner of quarter-final 1

Final (14 April, Nyon)
Winner of semi-final 1 v Winner of semi-final 2

arkon

If you're gonna do that why not stick Cahill at CB and put Jones in midfield? Jones has at least played there a number of times this season.

LTWheels

@JamesPearceEcho: #LFC's 250-mile trip to Norwich City now a midday kick-off on Easter Sunday??!! That is an absolute joke by the powers that be.

@JamesPearceEcho: The first train from Lime St to Norwich on Easter Sunday will get #LFC fans to Carrow Road an hour and a half after the game has finished.

Milner does his job well at City. He should be there. Delph being overlooked again is sad but not unexpected. Barry absolutely should be back in the team -- he has been excellent this season. Hart had his rough patch but other than not closing his legs for Alves, has been very good since he got back into City's team. Definitely England's #1.

On to more important news, here's the draw for the QFs and on in the UEFA Youth League.

Delph isn't good enough, and the job Milner does is unnecessary and counterproductive.

Marc

Cahill in centre mid?

Smalling?

No Wayne

You craaaaaazy

---

Also, DAT ARROW ENDING

Next week let's fucking go

Cahill as a DM, since we don't have any selected. Would rather Ward-Prowse or even Cattermole, better than nothing. Someone who sits and breaks up play has long been our achilles heel and stopped us dominating the midfield.

Smalling at CB, he has been awful at rightback, definitely but he is young and made a good partnership with Jones. Who for some reason I thought was fit and included in the squad. So I guess Jag's/Cahill combo it is then who look like a shite partnership to me.

No Wayne as he will bottle it again, he clearly only cares about money. With his talent he should be twice the footballer he is currently, should be in his prime scoring for fun. He has no real hunger (steady), or desire for the game when I look at him play, going through the motions a lot of the time. Fact as well is that Sturridge is a striker, and currently a better one than Rooney. He is not the same player pushed out to the wing, not when that's his starting position. Yet everyone is sticking the guy with one of the best goals per minute ratio in world football (second currently I think to Aguero) out wide?

Wilbs, pls, its a friendly... should experiment a little. I was wrong about Jones though so messes my team up anyway. :D
And Forster because its a friendly, so would be good to see him play and Hart has been very poor. Some players like Hart and Rooney I think would benefit from some bench warming, way too big for their boots.

Wilbur

Banned
Surprised so many people have Sterling in their starting XI.

I'd start Welbeck over him, but he's been in great form and the other option is Ashley Young. Rodriguez I'd consider as well.

Everyone can become a DM really, so just move some defender up there. Forster over Hart doesn't seem that crazy though.

Foster is a decent keeper, but he's not better than Hart. As average as Hart is, he's still the best English keeper.

Thats the WC team I picked by the way. Couldn't give a solitary cumshot what we do in a friendly.

Yen

I can't understand why anyone would have Welbeck in their side (it should be taken for granted the Cleverley won't be in anyone's)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom