• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT15| smoking Top of the League cigars may cause Liver failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc

Jesus Christ.

45165573.jpg

Marc

The whole Anelka thing is a load of nonsense to me, the connotation of it is clear and the usage of it is very open to interpretation which he personally clarified.

Its like banning a player for doing a salute because someone was offended by their imperialist reference. And hell, maybe the player was thinking of saluting Stalin or someone.

Why would anyone think that Cahill is capable of playing at DM?

Because Gerrard is the alternative....

Elchele

lies

show me

we all know he's going to play this shit and wonder later why we lose

-------------------- Noel ----------------
Peralta - Muma - Figueroa - Izaguirre
------------ Palacios --- Garrido ------
Boniek -------------------- R. Espinoza
---------Costly ---- Bengtson

fuck LF Suárez

rvy

Banned
AVB wants to coach a Brazilian team.

#DEAD

Chelsea and the other club I don't remember burned him so badly he decided to join the d-league.

L1NETT

The whole Anelka thing is a load of nonsense to me, the connotation of it is clear and the usage of it is very open to interpretation which he personally clarified.

Its like banning a player for doing a salute because someone was offended by their imperialist reference. And hell, maybe the player was thinking of saluting Stalin or someone.

Pardon?

The gesture itself is of a political nature, against PL rules. If he didn't mean it, then it's his right to argue it but he can't play dumb. He knows the connotations behind it.

It's a political gesture, and the fact that isn't linked with antisemitism and holocaust denial just amplifies the offence, not the offence itself. The offence is using a politically motivated gesture.

I think Anelka was lucky.

Marc

I am 10000% sure that Gerrard is the far superior option there. Can't just shift CBs to DM, Cahill doesn't exactly have great passing or even positional sense.

Will Gerrard be coming up against better attacking midfielders than Shelvey at the world cup?

If yes, then no... he isn't the superior option.

Normally I would completely agree but he can defend and can stop the best attackers as he showed with the CL win. I have way more confidence in him sitting than Gerrard who is too slow and not intelligent enough to mark Shelvey. Will get pulled every which way.

Chris Smalling.

please-no-more.gif

pulga

Banned
we all know he's going to play this shit and wonder later why we lose

-------------------- Noel ----------------
Peralta - Muma - Figueroa - Izaguirre
------------ Palacios --- Garrido ------
Boniek -------------------- R. Espinoza
---------Costly ---- Bengtson

fuck LF Suárez

Fucking Bengston, such a waste having those two lamp posts at the top. We should try a 4-2-3-1 but it'll be a cold day in hell before LFS tries something so advanced. Bengston out, Najar (hell, even M10M lolol) in.

wedward

England don't have a real defensive midfielder and that is going to hurt them.

Gerrard-Wilshere, Gerrard-Henderson, Henderson-Wilshere, Barkley-anyone.

All of those combinations are going to get exposed against better teams.

pulga

Banned
Pardon?

The gesture itself is of a political nature, against PL rules. If he didn't mean it, then it's his right to argue it but he can't play dumb. He knows the connotations behind it.

It's a political gesture, and the fact that isn't linked with antisemitism and holocaust denial just amplifies the offence, not the offence itself. The offence is using a politically motivated gesture.

I think Anelka was lucky.
iokAx1eJQeFqS.gif

wut did anelka do

dc89

XjoUAlF.png

The Prophet predicted these scores. If this comes off, I'll fly you all* out to Abu Dhabi and we will party with Kipless & Fady

*select members

Marc, yes Gerrard is not a world class DM, no one is denying that. The problem is Cahill isn't one either and I've no idea where you got the idea he would be better than Gerrard or any other midifielder there really, although with your "any player can become a DM, it takes no skills" drivel the other day it's not a surprise. On the other hand he's a pretty damn decent CB and better than the alternatives there.

iokAx1eJQeFqS.gif

wut did anelka do

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quenelle_(gesture)

bjaelke

England don't have a real defensive midfielder and that is going to hurt them.

Gerrard-Wilshere, Gerrard-Henderson, Henderson-Wilshere, Barkley-anyone.

All of those combinations are going to get exposed against better teams.

Henderson alone could cover the entire defensive midfield.

9694659003_d0200b9293_o.gif

Salvadora

Seems like Shaw has jumped ahead of Gibbs in the pecking order. Or it's because Gibbs is injured right now. Wouldn't mind Gibbs not going to the WC. He is too fragile.
Gibbs is injured now, I believe, but close to returning.

I think he's somewhat recovered from his prior fragilities anyway.

But I would still prefer him not to play prehistoric Football with the English national team.

Wilbur

Banned
Will Gerrard be coming up against better attacking midfielders than Shelvey at the world cup?

If yes, then no... he isn't the superior option.

Normally I would completely agree but he can defend and can stop the best attackers as he showed with the CL win. I have way more confidence in him sitting than Gerrard who is too slow and not intelligent enough to mark Shelvey. Will get pulled every which way.

please-no-more.gif

He is the superior option to Gary fucking Cahill

Jarnet87

That Shinji video is horrifyingly depressing. Just leave now baby. Don't let us bring you down more than we already have.

Which part did you find more depressing. Ashley Young and his pitiful hopeful crosses into the box with his eyes on the ball, or the constant runs into space Kagawa makes only to be ignored. I'm still deciding myself. That blackhole known as midfield.

He is the superior option to Gary fucking Cahill

Imagine Cahill and his style in the midfield. The most passive fucking defender in history, he would probably fall back into his own defense and be in line with Jones and Smalling as soon as the opponents got the ball, won't fucking see him run at a player challenging him that's for sure.

pulga

Banned
Marc, yes Gerrard is not a world class DM, no one is denying that. The problem is Cahill isn't one either and I've no idea where you got the idea he would be better than Gerrard or any other midifielder there really, although with your "any player can become a DM, it takes no skills" drivel the other day it's not a surprise. On the other hand he's a pretty damn decent CB and better than the alternatives there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quenelle_(gesture)

TL;DR

the fuck does it have to do with jews?

qindarka

Banned

please-no-more.gif

Cahill excels when played deep, being able to block shots and make last ditch tackles. He won't be able to do this in a more advanced position.

Can't just put anyone in DM, it is possibly the most important position and one of the hardest to actually play. For example, I know a lot of people were advocating Luiz, as a DM due to him being a good ball playing defender, but he struggled at DM due to his lack of positional awareness in that position. (In fairness, he has been better there this season).

I really hope Hodgson and Terry can come to some agreement. There is going to be relatively little involvement from Chelsea players in the World Cup other than Brazil and Belgium. Only Cahill, Mikel and Eto'o would be likely to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom