• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT15| smoking Top of the League cigars may cause Liver failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kikarian

iDcPq3ReeEb0L.png

Are you playing FIFA 14? if so, buy Igor Lichnovsky (CB) from Universidad de Chile in your first season. ;)
Signed him.

Barzul

We have much reason to be happy. We are one step closer and that change happening. Most other seasons we would have lost that match after the week we've just had but we played quite well until Podolski stupid penalty and hung on at the end.

Don't give a fuck what the hater say. They can get stuffed.

I agree. This win was so important, we can now go into the Bayern game fully motivated. If we win or draw that game, then the only catastrophic result from our run in will be Liverpool game. Not too bad for a collapsing team.

jtb

Banned
We have much reason to be happy. We are one step closer and that change happening. Most other seasons we would have lost that match after the week we've just had but we played quite well until Podolski stupid penalty and hung on at the end.

Don't give a fuck what the hater say. They can get stuffed.

First time we've made it to the quarterfinals in a few seasons, as well

Arnie

Think I see you. You wearing a black jacket?

Yes, I'm on the left of the guy with his head bowed and his brother's on his right (in green).

By the way, wouldn't be particularly buzzed about that performance if I were an Arsenal fan. To be outplayed at home on the eve of the Bayern match isn't exactly promising, despite the result.

cremino

Campionato di Serie A 1992-1993 - 16 di ritorno
Pescara - Stadio Adriatico
domenica 30 maggio 1993
PESCARA-JUVENTUS 5-1
MARCATORI: Ravanelli 2, Allegri rigore 32, Borgonovo 50, Carrera M. autorete 59,
Martorella 86, Palladini 90
PESCARA: Marchioro, Alfieri, Sivebaek, Dunga, Dicara, Nobile, De Juliis, Palladini, Borgonovo, Allegri (Massara 87), Compagno (Martorella 83) - Allenatore Zucchini
JUVENTUS: Peruzzi, Carrera M., Marocchi (Dal Canto 54), Galia, Kohler, Julio Cesar, Di Canio (De Marchi 69), Conte A., Ravanelli, Baggio R., Moeller - Allenatore Trapattoni
ARBITRO: Quartuccio
ESPULSIONI: Moeller 63 (Juventus)

LOL dead....

jtb

Banned
Yes, I'm on the left of the guy with his head bowed and his brother's on his right (in green).

By the way, wouldn't be particularly buzzed about that performance if I were an Arsenal fan. To be outplayed at home on the eve of the Bayern match isn't exactly promising, despite the result.

eh, we'll be outplayed by Bayern as well. but if we score and don't concede too many, we'll be alright. my biggest worry is the two penalties; really stupid decisions on both of them and both easily avoidable (not like either was preventing a goal or anything)

Barzul

Your only goal came from a penalty. Arsenal have played pretty for years, dominating teams and we still lost games. At the end of the day what matters is the result. It could've been a bigger scoreline too if Ozil and Cazorla finished their chances.

Oh and what's the Emirates atmosphere like, is it as dead as we hear on the media? Someday I'll have to make that trip.

Arnie

eh, we'll be outplayed by Bayern as well. but if we score and don't concede too many, we'll be alright. my biggest worry is the two penalties; really stupid decisions on both of them and both easily avoidable (not like either was preventing a goal or anything)

Been a mad week for stupid penalties.

Just legs going at legs in the box for no reason whatsoever.

Oh and what's the Emirates atmosphere like, is it as dead as we hear on the media? Someday I'll have to make that trip.
Poor, tbh.

One of those grounds where the home fans cheer for a goal and get dead loud in the final two minutes.

Best thing about the stadium is the seats are so wide you can cram a few of you into less seat space given that we all stand. My seat was meant to be a couple of rows in front of where I was but I just squeezed in by my mates and we all still had enough space.

K1LLER7

Yeah, they didn't look good against Moyes United and could have easily lost today if Sturridge didn't pull a Welbeck. Defence not looking as solid, which I expect Bayern will open up quite easily.

Arsenal could do with Walcott if they look to play Counter attack.

Daniel Sturridge ‏@D_Sturridge 2m

Heartbroken. I hate losing. Trying to keep my spirits high even though I'm struggling. I'm keeping the faith... #redordead #dstudge

Sounds like Sturridge has been unhappy with his performance but fortunately he's keeping the faith #dstudge

Baki

Chelsea, Spurs, City, Everton is ridiculously difficult BUT all, with exception of Chelsea away, are winnable. Points will be dropped but I can't see us not picking up at least a result or two along the way (City and Spurs being the most likely, imo). especially if we can get Ramsey back for some of those fixtures.

Liverpool are playing United and Spurs in March as well. obviously I think third is out of reach for Liverpool, but we'll see. that City game is a must-win. if we can get a win at the Emirates, the title beckons. if we can't, then it's time to start worrying about dropping to 4th.

We are not beating City. We are not winning games we need to win. We have Giroud.

Lightning

Banned

I'm not terribly bothered by Bayern. We're not at their level, even playing our best is going to be below them. We're no match for Bayern yet, only by being extremely lucky can we hope to get past Bayern but I'm not expecting anything.

League and cup games matter much more.

At the moment, Suarez and Sturridge are playing as two very good players, rather than a brilliant partnership. Most of the interplay and buildup seems to feature one of them but not the other. Need to figure out a system that utilises both of them to their full potential, and gets them buzzing around eachother. At the moment they seem more focussed on staying out of eachother's way than working as a partnership

Also, it'd be nice if we could coach Sturridge to a point where he's comfortable moving the ball onto his left foot in a one-on-one situation before the defenders get back and force him onto his right. Even if it means waiting for the defender, and then holding the ball up and shifting it past him.

Those last 2 in particular are very annoying. One was fair enough, had to hit it early with his right (unless he can be well trained in the delay I just mentioned) Two, he just didn't look comfortbale on his right even though he had 80% of the goal to aim at and nobody threatening a tackle. Three was the worst though, he decided to take a 40/60 chance of a penalty and a red card instead of a 95/5 shot on target, 70/30 goal.

As Shankly said, put the ball in the net and we'll talk about the options later. Fabianski was always set to dive at his feet from the second the ball went through to him.

Ah well, hopefully he doesn't let it play on his mind too much, and he and Suarez get a hattrick each against Swansea

Baki

We've gotten good results against City in the past. If Rambo is back, anything is possible.

We needed to 4 games so far in the league, and they were:

1) Everton
2) United
3) Southampton
4) Liverpool

The fact that we didn't get results against team that we are capable of getting results from, has made me stop believing in our title challenge. We just lack that last crunch.

jtb

Banned

1) Everton
2) United
3) Southampton
4) Liverpool

The fact that we didn't get results against team that we are capable of getting results from, has made me stop believing in our title challenge. We just lack that last crunch.

We led the pack for all of the first half of the season. I don't see it as lacking that last crunch so much as struggling against teams that have traditionally been bogey teams. ie. we always struggle against United, Chelsea. Everton, Southampton—they're good teams, tough fixtures, can't win them all. We also needed to win against Napoli and Dortmund and got results there (obviously, could have been better, but we did qualify). We could be doing better, but we're still in the hunt and I think we have a very real chance to win against City.

According to mirror Mourinho expects Edinson Cavani and Luke Shaw signed before the World Cup... and Lukaku and Ba goes out.

Fucking hell, even the shit papers knows it's impossible to get rid of Torres.
qCJl17s.png

Clegg

As good as Aguero is, he's several levels below Messi and Ronaldo. He could be a potential Balon D'Or contender, but only in the same way someone like Ribery was. Excellent player, but everyone knows he hasn't a chance of winning. Messi and Ronaldo have this thing locked down until they start their decline.

As good as Aguero is, he's several levels below Messi and Ronaldo. He could be a potential Balon D'Or contender, but only in the same way someone like Ribery was. Excellent player, but everyone knows he hasn't a chance of winning. Messi and Ronaldo have this thing locked down until they start their decline.

I thought Suarez had a real chance, he's slowed right down this year though. Still playing well, but you need goals, goals and more goals to win the Balon d'Or. Especially as a striker :p

Arnie

Just seen the penalty that wasn't given.

Jesus H

and H stands for Howard

fucking christ

Useless getting mad at officials but that's fucking negligent.

Lightning

Banned

1) Everton
2) United
3) Southampton
4) Liverpool

You think it's that easy to do the double over Liverpool? Southampton are a good team and Everton played exceptionally well that day.

I never put much into title challenges and I'll wait and see where we are at the end of March and take 1 game at a time. We're not the only team to have struggled through certain fixtures. Hard month coming up and we don't need to win them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom