• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT15| smoking Top of the League cigars may cause Liver failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

This is hilarious. I feel bad for laughing though because it's hard to tell sometimes which things are cultural differences and which are because the individual is a bit crazy.

Would definitely get this on tv here if I was a producer.

Those metal face-roller things are common in Asia, and expensive. "Make my face smaller" is a mistranslation, it's supposed to reduce fat on your face and tighten up your skin. They're most popular among old ladies who will believe anything, in Japan anyway. I think the younger crowd in Korea and China believe they work more than young Japanese girls.

Generally "small face" is something Asians equate with beauty, but it would probably be better translated as "delicate features." It's hard to explain without showing examples of what Asians consider beautiful vs what westerners consider beautiful.

Alright so decided to watch episode 2 of true detective as you guys keep talking about it. IS THAT THE GIRL FROM ALWAYS SUNNY GETTING NUDE? THE ONE CHARLIE DATED?

Oh God, this is my favorite show.

Can't wait for CL matches. any recommendations for UCL fantasy team? pls

I was gonna put some bets on, but fucked if I know what'll happen in any of the games

Normally I'd go PSG, but they're away
Normally I'd go City, but Messi is creeping back into form, Aguero is out, Negredo doesn't quite look right, and Fernandinho is a question mark
Normally I'd go Bayern, but I think they might be happy with a draw
Normally I'd go Atletico, but they're away, would be happy with a score-draw, and may not turn up, while Milan might.
Europa League is a crapshoot, don't have a clue which teams will take it seriously. Swansea and Napoli will, but fuck knows with the others.

Over 1.5 in the City-Barca game is the only one I'd feel confident in

Just put £23 into the Norway U18s since they're 2-0 up at half time against Cyprus U18s. Regret it already, only stand to make like £1.50 if they don't fuck it up :p

Blablurn

He'd have to find Özil first.

ibMG01gJZ5Mc3.gif

Elchele

I was gonna put some bets on, but fucked if I know what'll happen in any of the games

Normally I'd go PSG, but they're away
Normally I'd go City, but Messi is creeping back into form, Aguero is out, Negredo doesn't quite look right, and Fernandinho is a question mark
Normally I'd go Bayern, but I think they might be happy with a draw
Normally I'd go Atletico, but they're away, would be happy with a score-draw, and may not turn up, while Milan might.
Europa League is a crapshoot, don't have a clue which teams will take it seriously. Swansea and Napoli will, but fuck knows with the others.

Over 1.5 in the City-Barca game is the only one I'd feel confident in

Just put £23 into the Norway U18s since they're 2-0 up at half time against Cyprus U18s. Regret it already, only stand to make like £1.50 if they don't fuck it up :p

Thanks for the answer, but I was looking for some recommendations on players I should put. :p

Also, if you think Bayern would be ok with a draw, you basically know nothing about the current mentality inside the club. Basically anything but winning and keeping a clean sheet is failure.

Wilbur

Banned
Alright so decided to watch episode 2 of true detective as you guys keep talking about it. IS THAT THE GIRL FROM ALWAYS SUNNY GETTING NUDE? THE ONE CHARLIE DATED?

Oh God, this is my favorite show.

look at them fucking titties man

also episode four is top tier

episode five is god tier

Scum

I could live with that :p

Seriously though, in a game that is seemingly trying to push atmosphere (and cinematicness) above everything else, I think the mystery and incidental storytelling of a structure like TLoU would be much more effective than a completely linear corridor-trawler

You'll take your linear corridor-trawler and like it! :V

Thanks for the answer, but I was looking for some recommendations on players I should put. :p

Also, if you think Bayern would be ok with a draw, you basically know nothing about the current mentality inside the club. Basically anything but winning and keeping a clean sheet is failure.

Oops, didn;t mean to quote you :p

Never played CL Fantasy League, probably because we're never in the bloody thing any more and I try and avoid being reminded of it :(

GorillaJu

Sounds like asians are very insecure about their looks

let's conquer them

I would say it's less about insecurity and more practicality. The workforce is still very unequal in terms of male and female representation in Asian countries and women, especially in China and Korea, are pretty open about the fact that if they become more beautiful on a kind of invisible quantifiable scale, they will have better lives because they'll be able to marry wealthier men.

This isn't something that's restricted to Asia, obviously, but I think women are more practical about accepting that reality. They're way behind the western world when it comes to job opportunities for women, and even in Japan, which is the most progressive of the three major countries, young women are not fully respected in their careers because it's thought that at some point they will have children and quit work.

Thus, a woman's best assets are her looks and her youth. Money poured into surgery or snake oil products like designer anti-aging lotions or those platinum V-rollers are considered investments, because the return in the future will be that their husband's income will be higher.

The person using the V-roller in that Chinese show was a man, though. I think it's more common around financially struggling youth who don't have stable, high-paying jobs to be concerned with their looks, because maybe they can use their appearances to charm some woman who would otherwise be above their level.

im at episode 3. cant wait for the rest

My man!

Wilbur

Banned
im at episode 3. cant wait for the rest

If it doesn't fumble the last few episodes then it's one of my favourite shows ever. The fact I can finish it all in eight hours, the performances, the direction, the cinematography, the music... All impeccable. And the writing is also very very good.

Blablurn

If it doesn't fumble the last few episodes then it's one of my favourite shows ever. The fact I can finish it all in eight hours, the performances, the direction, the cinematography, the music... All impeccable. And the writing is also very very good.

did u watch breaking bad?

GorillaJu

The fact that they can cover huge spans of time in a single hour, jumping back and forth and dropping bombs all over the place chronologically without ever making the audience feel lost, is pretty excellent directing.

Those metal face-roller things are common in Asia, and expensive. "Make my face smaller" is a mistranslation, it's supposed to reduce fat on your face and tighten up your skin. They're most popular among old ladies who will believe anything, in Japan anyway. I think the younger crowd in Korea and China believe they work more than young Japanese girls.

Generally "small face" is something Asians equate with beauty, but it would probably be better translated as "delicate features." It's hard to explain without showing examples of what Asians consider beautiful vs what westerners consider beautiful.

What about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=C5Hg04cth9c#t=696

Wilbur

Banned
did u watch breaking bad?

Yep, that was great too. I like the brevity of True Detective though, the fact I can rewatch the whole thing in eight hours is great to me!

The fact that they can cover huge spans of time in a single hour, jumping back and forth and dropping bombs all over the place chronologically without ever making the audience feel lost, is pretty excellent directing.

Yeah, just by simple things like hair they're doing a great job. That shot in episode five
where it pans up to the tiara in the tree and then down and all of a sudden it's 2002 was fucking great

GorillaJu

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean how different they look, or that the guy completely lied in order to be polite?

Western girls can look like a different person when they have their make-up on, to a degree, but the techniques that are commonplace in Asia are absolutely insane. I often see girls putting on or fixing their make-up before my classes and do things like use a fork-shaped metal tool that (I don't know how) folds their eyelids back to make it look like they have rounder, more feminine eyes. It's hilarious when only one eye-lid is done because one eye looks half-asleep with the other wide open.

I mean this kind of transformation isn't entirely ordinary, but still...
pPRgccT.jpg

Maybe the supposed nineties stuff is actually in the FUTURE. Which means in the next few episodes we will get a montage of Rust cutting his hair and Marty wigging up.

Case solved.

But what is future?

"Someone once told me time is a flat circle. Everything we've ever done, or will do, we're gonna do over and over and over again."

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean how different they look, or that the guy completely lied in order to be polite?

Western girls can look like a different person when they have their make-up on, to a degree, but the techniques that are commonplace in Asia are absolutely insane. I often see girls putting on or fixing their make-up before my classes and do things like use a fork-shaped metal tool that (I don't know how) folds their eyelids back to make it look like they have rounder, more feminine eyes. It's hilarious when only one eye-lid is done because one eye looks half-asleep with the other wide open.

I mean this kind of transformation isn't entirely ordinary, but still...
pPRgccT.jpg

I mean why do they take the rules of Mahjong so seriously?

Yen

Best thing about True Détente is how McConaughey doesn't look like himself, as in, he doesn't have long slicked back here, noticeable teeth, and he keeps his shirt on now. With that image, all I can see is the nightmare that is Failure to Launch. The McConaughey of the 00s is gone.

Edit: autocorrect there, but don't pretend McConaughey as Jimmy Carter, and Harrelson as Leonid Brezhnev wouldn't be a better show. Exact same premise just is those two solving the murder.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
^They look good actually :p

I DUNNO WILBS

the first two episodes and Rust's Duke Nukem one-liners weren't doing it for me

it's all good now though

WJD

Best thing about True Détente is how McConaughey doesn't look like himself, as in, he doesn't have long slicked back here, noticeable teeth, and he keeps his shirt on now. With that image, all I can see is the nightmare that is Failure to Launch. The McConaughey of the 00s is gone.

Go watch Dallas Buyers Club plz

GorillaJu

The first two episodes were really hard to stomach because of the writing, though. They speak like exposition from a novel, but even as a novel it's a bit too strained and affected.

I DUNNO WILBS

the first two episodes and Rust's Duke Nukem one-liners weren't doing it for me

You'll grow on it.

Have to choose between Cornwall (Exeter) & Nottingham for University.
I don't like sand, but I like relaxing in the sun.
I don't like Nottingham's higher requirements, but I like Robin Hood.
Both courses are similar in progression.

I wanted to stop by and show my face before the game this evening, I dont see Barcelona winning, a draw at best. Messi struggles in England and if City sticks to a fast counter attacking style with agressiveness in the middle they will control the game.

And if Mascherano starts, then thats a 0-1 handicapped in City's favor.

Meier

I find the treatment of him disgraceful, and touching on racist.

Also that Chinese show seems hilarious.

I dunno. Black don't crack is a real thing. Black shattered here. No way the dude is 17.

I'm sorry but HoC jumped the shark with that hacker storyline
KuGsj.gif

I didn't mind the storyline but both my wife and I were a little suspicious of the head of IT (or some high level IT person) not having a password on his phone.

I wanted to stop by and show my face before the game this evening, I dont see Barcelona winning, a draw at best. Messi struggles in England and if City sticks to a fast counter attacking style with agressiveness in the middle they will control the game.

And if Mascherano starts, then thats a 0-1 handicapped in City's favor.

I think that Fernandinho will be a massive boost for us if he plays as expected. He definitely is instrumental in those fast counters. If Javi Garcia is playing as DM, we have to be a little more deliberate in changing directions and ensuring we have cover if they then counter our counter. With Ferna playing, Yaya can join up as opposed to being shackled. His not playing is absolutely palpable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom