• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT16| ''I tried to push him away with my head.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobito

Banned
Good. First time their rollercoaster has rolled into anything resembling a trough

Yes, I'm aware that Liverpool fans have had it relatively easy as well even in the last 5 years

I'm happy Brendan Rodgers is doing well, unlike fergie, mou, wenger etc he hasn't yet shown a nasty streak. Or at least I haven't been looking closely enough.

When Liverpool qualify for the champs league as well as their Spanish flops, what other players do people expect to leave?

Just read the Guardian article.

I'd be horrified as a United fan reading that. Not only are the coaching staff woefully out of their depth but the players are disrespectful enough to dig a bigger hole by acting like petulant cunts.

Also interesting how the article mentions that players are perturbed by Giggs' change in behaviour and attitude since becoming a coach. Seems to suggest that just sacking Moyes and promoting him won't work for the whole 'morale boost' thing.

And that's all Giggs has. He's got less experience and managerial acumen than Tim fucking Sherwood.

Stop gap.

None of them are viable solutions for a club like Manchester United.

Exactly.

Fucking hell if Giggs takes over I'll laugh. Honestly it's better to just let Moyes slug it out than promote that gimp.

Far too many of the players just gave up when Fergie retired.

In fairness to them, Moyes just wasn't an appointment enough to galvanise them into going again.

That's why what happened last summer was such a shambles. Manager's need their own players and Moyes only got Fellaini. It was a tough ask anyway but when you consider the weight upon him he really needed players who were at the club because of him.

It's sad to hear what's happened. I honestly thought we had a bunch of players who wouldn't behave this way but that was just naiveté. They've been a fucking disgrace.

RVP especially, those fucking tweets of his. Cocksucker.

Meier

5 Russians representing other countries won golds at those Olympics. Nice try.

Almost all of our athletes train in the US? Hilariously wrong. What sport?
I meant the Winter Olympics. Thought that was implied based on the reference to Wild.

Were those other Russians you're referencing bought by their respective countries or were they legitimately tied to them through birth?

danwarb

José Mourinho;104907986 said:
Why are we discussing possible Moyes replacements? He has a six year contract and I for one am firmly backing him to see it out. United are too big, to great a club, to sack him. They give managers a chance. They don't know what it is to be aboard the managerial merry go round. Let us not sully the good name of Manchester by going down this road.
Is right.

1981953_849109065106203_1304885972_n.jpg

wedward

Wonder how Arsenal are gonna cope when Wenger dies

Remi Garde.

French. Former Arsenal player. Likes young men.

I'm happy Brendan Rodgers is doing well, unlike fergie, mou, wenger etc he hasn't yet shown a nasty streak. Or at least I haven't been looking closely enough.

When Liverpool qualify for the champs league as well as their Spanish flops, what other players do people expect to leave?

He has only played the role of the underdog.

He loves the faux-humble. All "aww shucks, what an honor"

Wilbur

Banned
Far too many of the players just gave up when Fergie retired.

In fairness to them, Moyes just wasn't an appointment enough to galvanise them into going again.

That's why what happened last summer was such a shambles. Manager's need their own players and Moyes only got Fellaini. It was a tough ask anyway but when you consider the weight upon him he really needed players who were at the club because of him.

It's sad to hear what's happened. I honestly thought we had a bunch of players who wouldn't behave this way but that was just naiveté. They've been a fucking disgrace.

RVP especially, those fucking tweets of his. Cocksucker.

Yeah, he's just a merc isn't he? I don't expect any less from him tbh.

Vidic and Rio can fuck off now for all I care. It's awful because they're both club legends, but Vidic especially has fucked up a lot of my goodwill for him this season.

If/when he's gone from United, hope he finds a managerial role suited to his level.

He's just not capable at the top level.

Hopefully the next manager has the bottle to make changes and gets the team playing his way. Will have a lot of pressure on them too.

I actually think the job is a really really good one now, for whoever gets it next.

That pressure of succeeding Fergie isn't there. Of course there is pressure but the dynamics are totally different now. Not only is there a sizable pot of money to reshape the team (which I still maintain does have alot of good players in it) there is also a leeway to do your own thing.

A new manager could go ahead and do things which would have been scrutinised as dissembling Fergie's reign.

I agree with Arnie though, I just don't know who is out there who is an obvious yes. Klopp is the only one and I don't think we can get him.

In all seriousness, I think United will probably win tomorrow. And I think, if they can manage to go up early, they'll get the bit between their teeth and manage to go through. I'd love for it not to happen as it would be a right laugh, but I just have a feeling they'll do it.

bobito

Banned
Remi Garde.

French. Former Arsenal player. Likes young men.

He has only played the role of the underdog.

He loves the faux-humble. All "aww shucks, what an honor"

Liverepools budget is a smaller then the bigger teams, so by all rights they are the underdog. It's not similar to the nonsense Jose comes out with. In the same way you would always argue Arsenal are an underdog for the league.

People who absolutely should not get the United job under any fucking circumstances:

Spalletti
Giggs (or any other ex United bod for that matter)
Mancini
Capello
Di Matteo
Benitez
Deschamps
Jorge Jesus
Pardew
Laudrup

People United should be throwing all their worldly riches at:

Klopp
Simeone
Conte
Van Gaal
Lippi

Fun but even more unlikely outsiders:

Bielsa
Del Bosque

José Mourinho;104909213 said:
In all seriousness, I think United will probably win tomorrow. And I think, if they can manage to go up early, they'll get the bit between their teeth and manage to go through. I'd love for it not to happen as it would be a right laugh, but I just have a feeling they'll do it.
I think the players are happy to play it out til he's sacked.

what exactly did rvp tweet about? don't see anything unusual.

Nothing. It's in my mind.

But all this "great session, looking forwards to the game, love my team mates" shit is just keeping up appearances isn't it.

Glen Johnson: Big wages, verges between good and terrible week-on-week, getting old, last chance to sell him, contract running out soon

Brad Jones: Think we'll go for an upgrade, and third-choice keeper is semi-retirement

Sebastian Coates: Not made an impact, would've sold him last summer if he didn't get injured

Cissokho: Been reasonably solid in his last few appearances, but we could do much better, loan ending

Moses: Fucking shite, loan ending, the less money we give Chelsea, the better

Aspas: No impact whatsoever, someone in Spain is probably willing to pay £6m

Borini: Needs to play, won;t get enough gametime as third-choice striker, fourth-choice inside forward

That's it I think, unless we have to sell to buy upgrades, ie sell Agger to buy Sakho a partner, sell Enrique to buy the needed leftback etc

Still a distinct possibility that Suarez will either ask to leave, or Madrid will put an offer in and pressure him to fuck us over ala Bale/Spurs.

Salvadora

People who absolutely should not get the United job under any fucking circumstances:

Spalletti
Giggs (or any other ex United bod for that matter)
Mancini
Capello
Di Matteo
Benitez
Deschamps
Jorge Jesus
Pardew
Laudrup

People United should be throwing all their worldly riches at:

Klopp
Simeone
Conte
Van Gaal
Lippi

Fun but even more unlikely outsiders:

Bielsa
Del Bosque
What about a triumvirate of Giggs, Scholes and Neville.

Clegg

Van Gaal wouldn't be bad tbh. Has managed big teams and has won stuff with them. He'd have the respect of the players at the very least.

bobito

Banned
Glen Johnson: Big wages, verges between good and terrible week-on-week, getting old, last chance to sell him, contract running out soon

Brad Jones: Think we'll go for an upgrade, and third-choice keeper is semi-retirement

Sebastian Coates: Not made an impact, would've sold him last summer if he didn't get injured

Cissokho: Been reasonably solid in his last few appearances, but we could do much better, loan ending

Moses: Fucking shite, loan ending, the less money we give Chelsea, the better

Aspas: No impact whatsoever, someone in Spain is probably willing to pay £6m

Borini: Needs to play, won;t get enough gametime as third-choice striker, fourth-choice inside forward

That's it I think, unless we have to sell to buy upgrades, ie sell Agger to buy Sakho a partner, sell Enrique to buy the needed leftback etc

Still a distinct possibility that Suarez will either ask to leave, or Madrid will put an offer in and pressure him to fuck us over ala Bale/Spurs.

Cheers, be interesting to see how Brendan spends the champ league money, He has been a bit hit and miss, but that likely comes with being out of the champs league and not spending big money either.

subtles

The strange part of seeing Moyes replaced would definitely be the board bringing in another woeful manager if the good ones turn them down.

Julian Green is an interesting prospect. I haven't seen him play to get too excited.

kharma45

Arnie

I actually think the job is a really really good one now, for whoever gets it next.

That pressure of succeeding Fergie isn't there. Of course there is pressure but the dynamics are totally different now. Not only is there a sizable pot of money to reshape the team (which I still maintain does have alot of good players in it) there is also a leeway to do your own thing.

A new manager could go ahead and do things which would have been scrutinised as dissembling Fergie's reign.

I agree with Arnie though, I just don't know who is out there who is an obvious yes. Klopp is the only one and I don't think we can get him.
From experience it'll take another season before a new boss really has free reign to do his own thing free from the shadow of Fergie. One season of Hodgson, even with a sprinkling of Kenny, wasn't enough to cleanse the pallet of everything Rafa had built.

The team still had sprinklings of Rafa, I still compared both Hodge and Kenny to Rafa, and I still wanted the team to play in a similar manner to Rafa's.

By the time you burn through two managerial prospects though it's time to forget about the past and embrace something wholly new and exciting. Luckily Brendan spoke like a fucking prophet from the very first minute. His press conference was ridiculous, like a scene from a drama. The man has swagger and charisma and I'm easily fucking won over when it comes to Liverpool. Changed my wallpaper to Brendan overlooking Melwood from his office on that very first day and I haven't changed it since.

I think you should try another manager, have a moderately exciting season under Van Gaal, and then go for Klopp next summer when he's finally realised that the Bundesliga is dead.

Feorax

Cheers, be interesting to see how Brendan spends the champ league money, He has been a bit hit and miss, but that likely comes with being out of the champs league and not spending big money either.

To be fair, none of our "big money" targets from last year went on to flop. Mkhitaryan, Costa and Willian have all done very well for themselves, and the one we did get, Sakho, has been excellent.

Wilbur

Banned
I think you should try another manager, have a moderately exciting season under Van Gaal, and then go for Klopp next summer when he's finally realised that the Bundesliga is dead.

but wikipedia

As a coach he is known as a slow starter who frequently finds his players needing ample time to grasp his tactics and intent of play. Generally his teams gather results in the second or third season under his coaching

w i k i p e d i a

So we are supposed to not be excited one of Bayerns top young talents is deciding to pick the US his dads nationality to play his international football for?

The German-American contingent has been growing exponentially and its been benefiting everyone for the most part.

Don't get what is sad about that. We don't have great talent. A talented player can possibly play for the US. We get excited.
So you guys want your national team to succeed as a result of other countries developing your players and not because of American developed talents? Fair play to you. Might as well just take the next step and naturalize a bunch of Brazilians to take you guys to the next level.

I meant the Winter Olympics. Thought that was implied based on the reference to Wild.

Were those other Russians you're referencing bought by their respective countries or were they legitimately tied to them through birth?

Still not true if you talk about the winter Olympics. A baffling statement really. Figure skating? No. Biathlon? No. Cross country? No. Luge, bob sleigh, skeleton? No. Speed skating? No.

One of them who represents Belarus has a legit link. She switched over because because the of the depth in Russian biathlon. The others have no real link to their new countries.

Salvadora

Wonder if the amount of rebuilding that has to be done will deter some high-profile managers from the United job post-Moyes.

It's a big job.

Gonna be an intriguing transfer window for us

-We need to enhance the squad, lest we get twatted by starting the season in 4 competitions, and summarily fail in all of them
-We need to enchance the first team, if we want to make a mark in the CL and qualify again for it next season
-We (the board) need to figure out where the power should stand in the transfer pipeline, and whether we can trust Rodgers to make the big calls
-We need smoother negotiators. Leaving it all til mid-August and missing out on our targets, while allowing the players I mentioned to leave, would cripple our season before it's even begun

This is all on the assumption that we get into the CL

Wonder if the amount of rebuilding that has to be done will deter some high-profile managers from the United job post-Moyes.

It's a big job.

The good managers aren't pussies.

What would deter them is if they don't think they'll have the requisite amount of money to do the job.

It seems that at least one manager would. Beyond that, not so sure.

Slizz

So you guys want your national team to succeed as a result of other countries developing your players and not because of American developed talents? Fair play to you. Might as well just take the next step and naturalize a bunch of Brazilians to take you guys to the next level.

Only athletes that are grown in country are respectable? A lot of Argentinians still like Messi.

He was born in the U.S. and moved with his family and trained in Germany with the club he signed for at a young age...

Galatasary went into the game knowing they needed to score

They had 3 shots

0 on target

mancini_2943700.jpg

Shite manager, don't care how many trophies he's won by default.

From experience it'll take another season before a new boss really has free reign to do his own thing free from the shadow of Fergie. One season of Hodgson, even with a sprinkling of Kenny, wasn't enough to cleanse the pallet of everything Rafa had built.

The team still had sprinklings of Rafa, I still compared both Hodge and Kenny to Rafa, and I still wanted the team to play in a similar manner to Rafa's.

By the time you burn through two managerial prospects though it's time to forget about the past and embrace something wholly new and exciting. Luckily Brendan spoke like a fucking prophet from the very first minute. His press conference was ridiculous, like a scene from a drama. The man has swagger and charisma and I'm easily fucking won over when it comes to Liverpool. Changed my wallpaper to Brendan overlooking Melwood from his office on that very first day and I haven't changed it since.

True.

But it would also depend on who calls the shots here. Whether Froggie gets another pick or if the suits tell him to get fucked.

Either way, it's a total unknown. Anything could happen.

subtles

I'm sorry Arnie.

If the board wanting one "statement of intent" is true, it has to be Marco Reus.

Your level affair with Isco can wait another year.

Totti to Il Romanista: "I'd bring Cassano to the World Cup, and me too. If I'm in good shape I don't see why not."

Would be crazy to see Totti in the azzurri shirt again. If he keeps up the form he's in, however, Prandelli would be batshit insane not to bring him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom