• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT16| ''I tried to push him away with my head.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Because the entire film didn't really go anywhere
I haven't watched it yet but

why does this even matter?
KuGsj.gif
Burn After Reading went nowhere but it was damn fun to watch!

I tried to watch Waking Life last night, the Richard Linklater film. I switched it off after 10 minutes, it's probably the worst film I've ever watched just based on that 10 minutes alone.

I haven't watched it yet but

why does this even matter?
KuGsj.gif
Burn After Reading went nowhere but it was damn fun to watch!

But that was directed by brilliant directors, so at least it had its own style of fun :lol

AH just felt like a bad ripoff of Goodfellas. It's watchable, but I got bored maybe 2 or 3 times during the film.

Gonna buy the Game of Thrones seasons 1-3 Blu-Ray box set today. About time I check this shit out.

I'm taking a punt on the whole thing cos I'm pretty confident I'm going to love the show. Seems to tick a lot of boxes, heheheehehehehhee.

I got the 2nd book the other day. I'm yet to start the first.

The excerpts I've read are amazing but I'm almost nervous to start such a huge series.

Jack cw

I got the 2nd book the other day. I'm yet to start the first.

The excerpts I've read are amazing but I'm almost nervous to start such a huge series.

These are great books but man they are descriptive as hell. Prepare to hang on through some reeeeeaaaalllllyyyyy tough passages.

Clegg

Been reading a lot of non fiction and textbooks recently and my brain is turning to mush. Luckily enough, 'Words of Radiance' is out tomorrow. Some proper sword and sorcery fantasy to rearrange things to a brighter, happier mush.

dc89

The small football store in a regional town in southern Brazil has United and City shirts occupying pride of place in the window. Inside, United’s merchandise is almost as prevalent as that of the local heroes, Gremio and Inter, from the nearby city of Porto Alegre. They’re not village teams – both have been world champions and play in brand new stadiums with capacities of 60,000 and 56,000.

The store manager explains that he’s sold four United shirts and two City shirts so far this year for just shy of £70 each, adding they that will sell many more in the bigger stores. If you reverse it, it’s inconceivable that a shop in Preston would offer Gremio or Inter shirts, but while Brazilian footballers are one of the country’s most successful exports, the Brazilian league can’t come close to the global appeal of England’s Premier League. Only Barcelona and Real Madrid can compete with English clubs.

If there’s been a change in the last five years it’s that City shirts have joined the ranks of football’s biggest on sale all across South America. United match Barcelona and Real Madrid for distribution, even in Spanish-speaking countries. United feel they can do even better globally with their new, yet-to-be-signed merchandise deal which will begin in 2015. But how much better can they do when their goods are already on sale all around the globe?

Brazil has a competitive league which has seen eight different champions since 2000 and many clubs are moving into new stadiums ahead of the World Cup finals. Should they have been built? Spending £2.25bn on new stadiums in a country where there’s huge room for improvement in education, infrastructure and the health system infuriated many Brazilians. Protests were prevalent around last year’s Confederations Cup, partly because Brazilians knew the world was watching.

“The protests helped,” says United’s Brazilian defender Rafael, who is unlikely to make his national squad.
“The leaders in Brazil know that they have to change. Before the leaders did what they wanted. Now they have to listen if there are a million people on the street protesting.
“Already there have been changes. There had to be.”

Brazil’s economy has grown exponentially in the last decade. It is the world’s largest exporter of oranges, coffee, sugar, chicken, beef and soybean. The oil reserves are vast, yet people feel Brazil is missing its chance while their economy is growing, that the money is being squandered. They’re embarrassed by their airports and what the world will see during the World Cup. They have little confidence that politicians can do much about their problems.

Record ticket sales for the finals show that people are looking forward to June and discounts for students and the elderly for games in the hugely impressive venues have been popular. Not that all the venues are ready. “Some stadiums are late but they’ll be finished and the ones I’ve played in are beautiful,” says Uruguay striker Diego Forlan, who lived in Brazil for two years until recently. He also played in the Confederations Cup. “It was great,” he said.
“The people love football and Brazil have an exceptional team under Luiz Felipe Scolari.”

Despite low expectations of the national team, England is third in ticket sales by country after the host nation and the USA. With flights to Brazil costing around £1,000 for the finals – and that’s before you travel around to see each team play their three group games in three different cities, it’s not cheap. Hoteliers in the 12 host cities have increased their prices – a three-star in Belo Horizonte, where England play Costa Rica, is £200 a night throughout the tournament.

Given the vastness of the country, internal travel will be largely done by air. Wherever supporters end up, be it in beautiful Rio or Manaus in the Amazon, they’ll never be far from seeing a United or City shirt on sale.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...all-news/andy-mitten-brazil-goes-nuts-6742261

Do any Premier League clubs go on a pre-season tour to South America?

Blablurn

It's interesting to see Robben play in the last months. He was easily the best player on the pitch. And if it wasnt for that stupid injury he got in Augsburg it would be even clearer to see. After the last season where he went from zero to hero he seems to be in his best shape ever. You see him laughing, smiling and celebrating. His way of play got better and better. He might be a one trick pony which is attacks from the wing but he became unstoppable throughout the last months. His finishing got better too. He seems free this year. The pressure is gone. I think we see the best Robben ever right now.

GorillaJu

Holy fuck dat True Detective ep 7.

FUck fuck fuafd aidhaodihadoih asdoiha doihroihqaehoiQ

Edit: aksnaoa anananf fufucuucucuckkkk

edit 2: aosoaamdmd fuuccucucucucufufufufuuuuckk

Mastadon

Banned
Been reading a lot of non fiction and textbooks recently and my brain is turning to mush. Luckily enough, 'Words of Radiance' is out tomorrow. Some proper sword and sorcery fantasy to rearrange things to a brighter, happier mush.

I really can't wait for this, but I've forgotten most of what happened in WoK :<

dc89

Holy fuck dat True Detective ep 7.

FUck fuck fuafd aidhaodihadoih asdoiha doihroihqaehoiQ

Edit: aksnaoa anananf fufucuucucuckkkk

edit 2: aosoaamdmd fuuccucucucucufufufufuuuuckk

Think I'm gonna save it for tonight or tomorrow morning.

---

BhzqYnNIUAAxMED.jpg:large

I'm getting a Nasri jersey next season. Fuck it.

3Sixty

I'm deliberately not watching True Detective till i can marathon it.

Also looks like Lallana won't be starting for England wednesday been training separate i assume because of injury.

Jack cw

It's interesting to see Robben play in the last months. He was easily the best player on the pitch. And if it wasnt for that stupid injury he got in Augsburg it would be even clearer to see. After the last season where he went from zero to hero he seems to be in his best shape ever. You see him laughing, smiling and celebrating. His way of play got better and better. He might be a one trick pony which is attacks from the wing but he became unstoppable throughout the last months. His finishing got better too. He seems free this year. The pressure is gone. I think we see the best Robben ever right now.

Yeah, he is and was the best transfer Bayern ever did. And it looks like he got rid of his final failures. I hope he stays fit and delivers more performances like those against Schalke.

tumblr_n1qmt0KUI91s8hxm5o7_250.gif

tumblr_n1qmt0KUI91s8hxm5o8_250.gif

Salvadora

Liked this weeks True Detective, but it didn't grab me like previous episodes have.

Some of the complaints in the OT are spot on.

Elchele

I think I'm going to wait until next week to watch the last two episodes of TD in a row. So pls guys stop the comments about the new episode :/

Yeah, he is and was the best transfer Bayern ever did. And it looks like he got rid of his final failures. I hope he stays fit and delivers more performances like those against Schalke.

[IMdG]http://25.media.tumblr.com/7e0390d04f118e9cf13a3e0c107f97f4/tumblr_n1qmt0KUI91s8hxm5o7_250.gif[/IMG]
[IMdG]http://25.media.tumblr.com/fa35240aeb430c63a6b81c9f0c20c300/tumblr_n1qmt0KUI91s8hxm5o8_250.gif[/IMG]

:lol

Javi <3
I'm glad he's working in the CB position, that way he can stay at Bayern.

Clegg

I really can't wait for this, but I've forgotten most of what happened in WoK :<
I've forgot lots of it too

But i remember Kaladin becoming a Radiant in one of the best chapters of a fantasy book I've ever read. Dalinar learned that God is dead and wasn't really talking to him, but to anyone who could listen. And Shen is to assassinate Dalinar because his boss is presumably a very bad man.

There's lots of other stuff that was only briefly mentioned in the first book that i assume will take prominence in this one.

Mastadon

Banned
I've forgot lots of it too

But i remember Kaladin becoming a Radiant in one of the best chapters of a fantasy book I've ever read. Dalinar learned that God is dead and wasn't really talking to him, but to anyone who could listen. And Shen is to assassinate Dalinar because his boss is presumably a very bad man.

There's lots of other stuff that was only briefly mentioned in the first book that i assume will take prominence in this one.

Tempted to do a quick re-read before I go on to the new one.

I read this a little while ago, and it blew my mind a little bit. http://coppermind.net/wiki/Shard

tor.com have been doing a re-read of the first book. It'll be a damn sight shorter than re-reading WoK.

http://www.tor.com/features/series/the-way-of-kings-reread-on-torcom

Awesome, cheers!

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Loooooooooool THREE match suspensions for De Rossi, Juan Jesus & Berardi.

Yeah, Sassuolo is officially down.

Clegg

I read this a little while ago, and it blew my mind a little bit. http://coppermind.net/wiki/Shard

Awesome, cheers!
Apparently the main focus of this book will be Shallan but there'll be plenty of focus on Kaladin and Dalinar too. There's so much to be explained in this series. It's going to span 10 books so there'll be lots of new questions before the end as well. Then throw the expanded universe. Lots of stuff there.

arkon

Awesome, cheers!

Yeah the cosmere stuff in his books is one of the most interesting aspects. I'm waiting for the crossovers. Mistborn vs surgebinders.

I do wonder how some of these fans tease out this information from what seems like very little to go on.

arkon

Apparently the main focus of this book will be Shallan but there'll be plenty of focus on Kaladin and Dalinar too. There's so much to be explained in this series. It's going to span 10 books so there'll be lots of new questions before the end as well. Then throw the expanded universe. Lots of stuff there.

Yeah. Each book has a main character, and we'll get flashback sequences for that character as with Kaladin in book 1. Two five-book arcs as well. I'm looking forward to Szeth's book which is going to be book 3 apparently (although Sanderson may change his mind like with book 2).

Clegg

The row over the length of the new South Park game is getting very tedious. Page after page in the OT is now taken up with posters arguing what constitutes RPG length. Some posters even saying they won't buy the game because it's not long enough and therefore not an RPG.

Jack cw

The row over the length over the length of the new South Park game is getting very tedious. Page after page in the OT is bow taken up with posters arguing what constitutes RPG length. Some posters even saying they won't buy the game because it's not long enough and therefore not an RPG.

Gaming side really tends to get irrational lately with their stupid arguments and doom and gloom paroles. Still fun though.

Elchele

Damn, Sony Argentina raised the price of games again (after laying off many workers), almost 100$ now.

Guess I will have to embrace digital future :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom