• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT17| I'm Spartacus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Massimo Cellino disqualified from buying Leeds United under Football League's Owners' & Directors' Test

cellino.jpg

L1NETT

Well done Football League!

Blocking that nutcase Massimo Cellino from buying Leeds.

Less inept owners the better. Fans light up when they think of the sticker book sadly. Even though it is Leeds, well done Football League.

Linius

In the UK, on Viagogo they're coming up as £61 - more than I wanted to pay but it'll have to do. Anyone had experience with ordering from Viagogo? If I ordered them today would I have them by Thursday morning before I fly Friday?

Also what's the match day experience like over there? I know that it's a train ride away from the game is there any good pubs and the like you'd recommend for the atmosphere? And generally are your fans cool with neutral foreigners, we're not going to sit in silence we'd get involved but y'know... Dutching singing is not my forte. Manchester United fan by the by.

Also recommend me general Amsterdam stuff to do through the weekend! (Want to go clubbing one of the nights, any particular recommendations?)

Can't say much about Viagogo from own experiences but I do know they pull tickets offline if they can't guerantee they arrive on time before the game. 99% of them will be e-tickets so you should be fine.

Biggest part of the crowd comes directly to the stadium. But Leidseplein in the centre is always busy with Ajax fans on match days. Lots of bars around Leidseplein and Rembrandtplein. For clubbing Rembrandt/Leidse would probably be your best option as well with clubs like Air, Escape and Jimmy Woo. Bear in mind these clubs ask heavy entry fees and are generally expensive. It's that see and be seen culture. You could also go to something like Sugar Factory or Studio 80. That's better for a night of dancing and less fancy people.

And Ajax fans are open to neutrals as far as I know, just don't cheer when Twente scores because that would make no sense obviously. I myself have no objection towards neutrals attending anyways and I haven't heard about any incidents with foreigners except for fans from opposite sides.

bjaelke

Ben Rumsby @ben_rumsby
Uefa orders partial closure of Bayern Munich stadium for Manchester United match following homophobic banner shown during Arsenal game.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Adrian Durham has kicked it up a notch this week.

BjfXBNpCEAET86v.jpg

Durham writes what he does solely to attract clicks from angry fans. A few days ago he wrote some garbage about Sandro being the worst Brazilian to ever play in the PL.

Completely laughable. A single banner, help up by casual fans? Bullshit.

The way Uefa punishes clubs is laughable in general, this is no exception. What is this supposed to solve, really? Won't keep some idiot from doing something like that again. Unless there's actually organized (maybe wrong word, but you know... Actual big groups, that the club can't easily kick out and not just one or two idiots) homophobic/racial abuse etc, or actual danger for people because of violence, they should not close off sections or play without supporters. Instead ban the fool who does it and make it clear you will not have any of that shit again. It's punishing the wrong people.

Feorax

Adrian Durham is as one note as doicare or Avaya.

Still has people falling into his trap though.

It's obvious it's just to drive clicks to his article and callers to his radio show.

Still, you have to be a special kind of egotist to happily print the shite he does. No shame whatsoever.

Wes

venison crêpe
Adrian Durham has kicked it up a notch this week.

He apologised afterwards and anyway, the game was over and Suarez was on a hat-trick. Any other player would do exactly the same thing including Sterling himself. Just goes to show how deluded Durham can be.

L1NETT

Think UEFA is trying to set a precedent, and no better place to do that at one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Agree the punishment hits the wrong people, but if you are least trying to pretend to set an example I can kind of sort of maybe agree with what they did.

--

Who the fucking fuck reads Adrian Durham. Lose brain cells just looking at that article. Get it out of here please.

Elchele

The sector in the AA where the homophofic banner was shown, will be closed for the Bayern vs Man Utd second leg. Thankfully it wasn't the ultras sector

Wes

venison crêpe
Ben Rumsby @ben_rumsby
Uefa orders partial closure of Bayern Munich stadium for Manchester United match following homophobic banner shown during Arsenal game.

Completely laughable. A single banner, help up by casual fans? Bullshit.

Maybe so but you have to start somewhere. It's one block out of a hundred? Not going to have a huge impact but it's a warning shot across the bow to all clubs and fans of clubs that this behaviour wont be condoned. Plus, it's in one of the highest profile matches so it'll get a lot of coverage.

Blablurn

Maybe so but you have to start somewhere. It's one block out of a hundred? Not going to have a huge impact but it's a warning shot across the bow to all clubs and fans of clubs that this behaviour wont be condoned. Plus, it's in one of the highest profile matches so it'll get a lot of coverage.

in the meanwhle in zenit

BjfddP-IIAAqD1R.jpg:large

wes pls. bayern is fighting anti social behaviour for years. we had a shitton of campaigns and stuff. it was just two very very stupid people. and as wooden said. it could happen again unless people try to find the real culprits.

Hixx

in the meanwhle in zenit

BjfddP-IIAAqD1R.jpg:large

wes pls. bayern is fighting anti social behaviour for years. we had a shitton of campaigns and stuff. it was just two very very stupid people. and as wooden said. it could happen again unless people try to find the real culprits.

Then why don't they?

When that berk who racially abused Benteke at the SoL was wanted, loads of SAFC fans contacted the police with his identity.

The club let them take the banner in. Can't really ignore that.

Hixx

Interesting day in the Championship.

Cellino has been refused permission to purchase a majority stake in Leeds United after failing the fit & proper owner test and "wee" Billy Davies has been sacked by Forest, with Neil Warnock to take over.

Look, I just found an old quote of a Mainz fan:

Pls

There are no Mainz fans on the internet.

But seriously, Mainz was different. Klopp didn't sign a 4-year-contract before leaving. A comparable situation would be if Klopp's contract was about to run out and he announced he'd leave if we didn't finish on a CL spot.

I, fortunately, really don't see Klopp leaving before 2018 and actually fear that he could leave us then. And I think that signing the contract until 2018, while it was still running for two and a half years, was a signal from Klopp. After Götze and Lewandowski leaving, he wanted to show "I'm here to stay for a long time", which is very important.

Blablurn

I seriously hope we will buy some young players in the next years. Robben, Ribery, Dante, Schweini and co will be pretty old by 2017. Dont wanna end up like Milan.

sohois

Was just browsing the statsbomb website when I uncovered an older article which seems really rather interesting with hindsight:

http://www.statsbomb.com/2013/08/spurs-acquisition-of-soldado/

Written at the beginning of August, it's a statistical evaluation of how Roberto Soldado was going to perform for Spurs.

Should be a useful article to throw into the face of people claiming that statistical analysis is useless in football (though, technically, any stats guy would also know that one article is a woeful sample size to make a point like that)

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
tumblr_n2recyhdTL1r30r4xo1_500.gif

tumblr_n2l8atlqRs1r30r4xo6_250.gif

tumblr_n2r7llsHSh1s8z5rho1_400.gif

35 next month. Class is permanent, Guardiola's drugs ain't.
Massimo Cellino disqualified from buying Leeds United under Football League's Owners' & Directors' Test
for tax evasion in Italy. Welp, maybe Barca or Bayern will take him then?
Blablurn its a joke pls don't get angry
IS MY BBY BACK?

PLS

PLS I'M TIRED OF THESE CUNT TEAMS RUINING FOOTBALL

BRING THE CUNTE

YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURT

THE GOAT IS BACK

WB Yurt!
Welcome back, Yurt-kun.
Thanks guys!!!
3AQmK.gif
<3 you all.

Jack cw

The club let them take the banner in. Can't really ignore that.

Things like that happens in every stadium to every club. Its a public event, you cant impossibly control any detail. Bayerns security missed it, they got penalized and thats fine. A couple of hundred fans are no big deal.

Jack cw

I seriously hope we will buy some young players in the next years. Robben, Ribery, Dante, Schweini and co will be pretty old by 2017. Dont wanna end up like Milan.

Haha, old Milan was best Milan. They won basically everything with their 35 year old squad :D Anyway, we have Götze, Thiago, Kroos, Alaba, Müller, Lewandowski, Martinez, Neuer, Boateng, Shaqiri, who are all under 27, so the base is set for a generational shift. All it needs are decent wingers. Hazard and Reus are potential succesors. I actually like what Bayern did by securing those young guns.
Dantes contract extension till 2017 was just announced.
Well, its ok, but Dantes performances lately were as bad as van Buytens, so a new class defender has to be signed.

Blablurn

Haha, old Milan was best Milan. They won basically everything with their 35 year old squad :D Anyway, we have Götze, Thiago, Kroos, Alaba, Müller, Lewandowski, Martinez, Neuer, Boateng, Shaqiri, who are all under 27, so the base is set for a generational shift. All it needs are decent wingers. Hazard and Reus are potential succesors. I actually like what Bayern did by securing those young guns.

Well, its ok, but Dantes performances lately were as bad as van Buytens, so a new class defender has to be signed.

I guess he will be our new Van Buyren-esque last minute solution once Daniel retires.

Jack cw

I guess he will be our new Van Buyren-esque last minute solution once Daniel retires.

Yeah, especially when Martinez plays that good in defence like in the last couple of matches. I wonder what happened to that David Luiz rumor.
Which Milan? Pirlo and co were in their 20s.

Late 20s and many were at the begining 30ies, I'm pretty sure the average age was close to 30. There is nothing wrong with experience, as long as the team works.

Blablurn

Chris Punnakkattu D. @CPDaniel

+++ #BREAKING: #German 1st and 2nd Division #Bundesliga clubs have decided #AGAINST the introduction of #goalline #technology +++

#Bundeslolga

#Backwards

#FuckFrankfurt

Jack cw

Wasn't the old one still running until 2016? Just another year?

Rummenigge pls

Well, to be fair, Bayern used to extend contracts only one year for players over 30. There is something different with club legends like Kahn, Scholl, Robben or Ribery, but the regular guys get only 1 year extensions.
Chris Punnakkattu D. @CPDaniel

+++ #BREAKING: #German 1st and 2nd Division #Bundesliga clubs have decided #AGAINST the introduction of #goalline #technology +++

#Bundeslolga

#Backwards

#FuckFrankfurt

200k EUR per club for this tech is basically 250k EUR more than the most clubs would invest anyway.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Yeah, especially when Martinez plays that good in defence like in the last couple of matches. I wonder what happened to that David Luiz rumor.

Late 20s and many were at the begining 30ies, I'm pretty sure the average age was close to 30. There is nothing wrong with experience, as long as the team works.

Ah, the average means nothing though. We have the HIGHEST age average in Italy thanks to Buffon, Barzagli and Pirlo. Everyone else is in their mid-barely late 20s!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom