• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT17| I'm Spartacus

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvy

Banned
Zlatan calls him a coward.
Eto'o calls him a coward.

When he leaves Bayern, all the Germans will come out and say the same thing.

Yen

I was going to complain about next door blaring Daniel Powter, but now they're playing That Don't Impress Me Much - Shania Twain, and I approve, oddly.

arkon

Gurrm needed an editor to step in and say enough's enough. Unfortunately that didn't happen in the last two books. I've got little faith in Winds of Winter turning out decent at this point.

IceCold

Give me a short summary pls.

- Pep comes to Barca and says that Deco, Eto'o, Ronaldinho are out. Eto'o reminded him that he was never a great player, simply a good one.

- He had an offer to play at Uzbekistan for 25 million dollars for 6 months, Pep told him that it would be good for him to go. Eto'o told him that the one that would make him win is Eto'o but he'll have to apologize (apparently he was making shit up about Eto'o. Things that the media was saying).

- At some point Barca are in Houston and Pep tells the team in the dressing room that they will be changing jerseys. Thierry Henry gets Eto'o 9 (he says Thierry was quite happy lol). Eto'o wore 14. The team was shocked and Eto'o says what Pep did was disrespectful because he had done a lot for Barca (in the pitch and outside). At some point they play against Chivas (Eto'o was on bench). He says Pep had the misfortune of making him play for 20 mins (says Pep could have shot a bullet in his head). Eto'o shoots 3 goals. Same thing when he plays in NYC.

- Pep was forced to have a meeting with him due to his performance in USA but since he never had the courage to speak to him face-to-face, he had to use his teammates. Carlos Naval shows up while Eto'o's eating and tells him he has a surprise for him. Eto'o was a bit in a rush and told himself that maybe it was Beyonce that was waiting for him lol. He sees a bunch of his teammates: Messi, Valdes (bff), Puyol, Iniesta, Xavi, etc. and then Pep...his face changes. Pep didn't speak and the players tell Eto'o that they want him to stay and that he has to reconcile with Pep. Eto'o responds that he won't speak to Pep and is waiting for him to apologize. Says if you don't respect him, he won't respect you back. You'll have to work double if not triple to regain his respect.

- The season starts. Eto'o spoke to Pep twice: 1) When he made him speak to Toure since he didn't want anything to do with Pep and 2) He wanted to give him lessons on how to move as a striker. Eto'o told him he was never a great striker and tells him that he was crazy for bitching about an instance where he assisted Messi in training (he wasn't moving how Pep wanting him to)

- At the end of the season and after they reach the finals of the Champion's League, the team had a dinner and Pep gave a toast and tanked Eto'o for his performance. He said it was the first time he trusted Pep but said that cost him his passport to Inter Milan (I don't really understand what he means by that).

- While at Inter, he crossed paths with Pep again. Pep didn't acknowledged him in the tunnel. Only when they were on the pitch with all cameras did Pep go see Eto'o. Eto'o tells the audience to take a look at Messi's and Thierry Henry's face in a picture that's shown of that moment. It tells the full story. He said he couldn't do anything but shake his hand since he was already labeled as the bad guy by the media and didn't want the media to say that he was trying to make a scene:

CtYN9xs.png

- In the end they made peace

That's the gist of it.

rvy

Banned
Oh, I had tried. When I came to Barcelona, they told me I could not take a private jet and had to take a commercial flight. ‘At Barcelona we keep our feet on the ground,’ they explained. ‘We are not like Real Madrid. We travel on regular planes.’ It sounded reasonable.

(...)

He wouldn’t even say good morning. Not a single word. He avoided eye contact with me. If I went into a room, he would leave. ‘What’s going on,’ I thought. ‘Is it something I did? Do I look wrong? Am I talking funny?’ All these things were buzzing around in my head. I couldn’t sleep.

#DEAD

Barzul

Finally started A Feast For Crows tonight. From what I've heard I'm not in for a particularly exciting ride.

It has it's moment's, but it's a huge letdown after ASOS. ADWD is a lot better just stick with it.
God I hated the Brienne chapters.

to the next treble winning team in a dead league

Celtic

I thought you were going to say Juve for a while there.

- Pep comes to Barca and says that Deco, Eto'o, Ronaldinho are out. Eto'o reminded him that he was never a great player, simply a good one.

- He had an offer to play at Uzbekistan for 25 million dollars for 6 months, Pep told him that it would be good for him to go. Eto'o told him that the one that would make him win is Eto'o but he'll have to apologize (apparently he was making shit up about Eto'o. Things that the media was saying).

- At some point Barca are in Houston and Pep tells the team in the dressing room that they will be changing jerseys. Thierry Henry gets Eto'o 9 (he says Thierry was quite happy lol). Eto'o wore 14. The team was shocked and Eto'o says what Pep did was disrespectful because he had done a lot for Barca (in the pitch and outside). At some point they play against Chivas (Eto'o was on bench). He says Pep had the misfortune of making him play for 20 mins (says Pep could have shot a bullet in his head). Eto'o shoots 3 goals. Same thing when he plays in NYC.

- Pep was forced to have a meeting with him due to his performance in USA but since he never had the courage to speak to him face-to-face, he had to use his teammates. Carlos Naval shows up while Eto'o's eating and tells him he has a surprise for him. Eto'o was a bit in a rush and told himself that maybe it was Beyonce that was waiting for him lol. He sees a bunch of his teammates: Messi, Valdes (bff), Puyol, Iniesta, Xavi, etc. and then Pep...his face changes. Pep didn't speak and the players tell Eto'o that they want him to stay and that he has to reconcile with Pep. Eto'o responds that he won't speak to Pep and is waiting for him to apologize. Says if you don't respect him, he won't respect you back. You'll have to work double if not triple to regain his respect.

- The season starts. Eto'o spoke to Pep twice: 1) When he made him speak to Toure since he didn't want anything to do with Pep and 2) He wanted to give him lessons on how to move as a striker. Eto'o told him he was never a great striker and tells him that he was crazy for bitching about an instance where he assisted Messi in training (he wasn't moving how Pep wanting him to)

- At the end of the season and after they reach the finals of the Champion's League, the team had a dinner and Pep gave a toast and tanked Eto'o for his performance. He said it was the first time he trusted Pep but said that cost him his passport to Inter Milan (I don't really understand what he means by that).

- While at Inter, he crossed paths with Pep again. Pep didn't acknowledged him in the tunnel. Only when they were on the pitch with all cameras did Pep go see Eto'o. Eto'o tells the audience to take a look at Messi's and Thierry Henry's face in a picture that's shown of that moment. It tells the full story. He said he couldn't do anything but shake his hand since he was already labeled as the bad guy by the media and didn't want the media to say that he was trying to make a scene:

CtYN9xs.png

- In the end they made peace

That's the gist of it.

Haha thanks, founds bits and parts of it translated but some details were certainly lost. Great stuff.

Barzul

Speaking of Arsenal's medical team, Jacky underwent some Chryotherapy to aid recovery by being frozen to -100 degrees.

Is this real? Also Mail says we're moving for Lars Bender to replace Arteta. His position has been a weak link in our team for awhile now. This summer, key positions for me are LW, DM, ST. Then we need a new CB, RB and GK. All in all 6 signings. Knowing Arsenal, we'll maybe get 3.

Salvadora

Is this real? Also Mail says we're moving for Lars Bender to replace Arteta. His position has been a weak link in our team for awhile now. This summer, key positions for me are LW, DM, ST. Then we need a new CB, RB and GK. All in all 6 signings. Knowing Arsenal, we'll maybe get 3.
Yeah, he tweeted about it :lol.

3 minute Youtube compilations tell me that Lars Bender would be perfect for Arsenal.

jtb

Banned

Arteta has shit the bed in each of three huge losses. He doesn't necessarily need to be replaced but we at least need to add some serious physicality to this midfield.

We have a huge shopping list for this summer, I have no idea who we'll get, if anyone.

Bjf66SRIQAAfSOQ.jpg

I would be happy if we got Lars Bender.

Abraxas

Arteta has shit the bed in each of three huge losses. He doesn't necessarily need to be replaced but we at least need to add some serious physicality to this midfield.

We have a huge shopping list for this summer, I have no idea who we'll get, if anyone.

Could M'Vila still be on the cards? I was very hopeful about him coming a couple of years ago.

Finally started A Feast For Crows tonight. From what I've heard I'm not in for a particularly exciting ride.
'Tis my current poolside reading. 200 pages in. It's alright so far.

Samwell Gangy reminds me of Pep. Stink of fucking fish the both of them.

Arteta didn't play at City, Flamini did, and he was diabolical. Arteta's passing at Chelsea was poor, but I'm not seeing which of those first 3/4 goals he could've stopped tbh. Think his criticism is overblown somewhat. Ox and Cazorla should never have been playing CM in the first place.

As for Bender, from what I've seen (which isn't that much in fairness) I'm not sure someone you want to play alongside Ramsey. He doesn't sit and/or position himself, he roams, covers every blade, finds himself on the flanks, etc. Schneiderlin would be a better shout. Would love to see us go for Rakitic tbh. Probably the most complete midfielder in Europe right now. I mean, generally people would point to Vidal who of course wins tackles and scores goals, but you wouldn't play him as a DM in a 4-5-1 or as a #10 in a 4-2-3-1. Rakitic can play in both positions to great effect (remember him playing #10 in one half then DM in the next in a couple games even, lol). He's also 6ft+ with that typical Croatian balance and power.

There is alot of interest in him though. But in any case, for all the talk about strength, height etc, I really don't want us to go sign some Wanyama who can't do shit with the ball at his feet when he wins it back. We still want to play football our way, just add an extra dimension to it.

Draconian

Ox being allowed to come back tomorrow is hilarious. The FA must've felt sorry for Arsenal after Wenger's dumb tactics got them demolished yet again.

jtb

Banned

old, misleading. it's actually results against the top 4 away from home in the past five years. only win is a 3-0 against City a couple years ago.

don't get me wrong, still a horrible and damning record but most teams, even the top ones, struggle away from home against top 4 sides

(for example, Arsenal have a solid, respectable, if unspectacular, record at home against the top 4 sides, so that also means that other teams aren't getting results at the Emirates)

jtb

Banned
Arteta didn't play at City, Flamini did, and he was diabolical. Arteta's passing at Chelsea was poor, but I'm not seeing which of those first 3/4 goals he could've stopped tbh. Think his criticism is overblown somewhat. Ox and Cazorla should never have been playing CM in the first place.

As for Bender, from what I've seen (which isn't that much in fairness) I'm not sure someone you want to play alongside Ramsey. He doesn't sit and/or position himself, he roams, covers every blade, finds himself on the flanks, etc. Schneiderlin would be a better shout. Would love to see us go for Rakitic tbh. Probably the most complete midfielder in Europe right now. I mean, generally people would point to Vidal who of course wins tackles and scores goals, but you wouldn't play him as a DM in a 4-5-1 or as a #10 in a 4-2-3-1. Rakitic can play in both positions to great effect (remember him playing #10 in one half then DM in the next in a couple games even, lol). He's also 6ft+ with that typical Croatian balance and power.

There is alot of interest in him though. But in any case, for all the talk about strength, height etc, I really don't want us to go sign some Wanyama who can't do shit with the ball at his feet when he wins it back. We still want to play football our way, just add an extra dimension to it.

I agree with all of this, the only thing I'd add is that I don't think a box to box midfielder is incapable of coexisting next to Ramsey. the key is tactical and positional training, I think. it's not exactly a new concept that if one player goes forward, the other drops back and protects the back four. I may be skeptical of Wenger's ability/willingness to actually implement such basic instructions, but I don't think that should necessarily prevent us from going after the best midfielder possible, even if they might go forward.

for example, I think half of Vermaelen's problems come down to coaching. yes, he loves to expose the entire defense by running up the pitch suicidally so that he can score the occasional goal or two but it's also Wenger's job to tell him to stand the fuck down and not do stupid shit like that which would almost always directly create a goal for the opposition. the fact that he does (or did, at least, up until he lost his place in the team) is more an indictment of Wenger. we'll see how it all plays out, I suppose. all I can really ask for at this point is that Wenger (or whoever's in charge next season) buy's some kind of a physical player in midfield and hope that they're utilized properly

I always laugh at the amount City get from commercial revenue. I mean really? More than Liverpool, Chelsea, and Arsenal? Almost as much as United despite the United brand being stronger and whored out to every company in the world.

bjaelke

I always laugh at the amount City get from commercial revenue. I mean really? More than Liverpool, Chelsea, and Arsenal? Almost as much as United despite the United brand being stronger and whored out to every company in the world.
Friends with benefits.
Manchester City will bank up to £400m under their new sponsorship arrangement with Etihad Airways, making it the largest deal of its kind in sport and reinforcing City's position as a football club with unprecedented financial power.

The 10-year agreement, which means City's ground is renamed the Etihad Stadium, will be worth more than twice the previous record, JP Morgan Chase's $300m (£187m) for the new Madison Square Garden, while simultaneously demonstrating the growing disparity between the top clubs in English football.

Etihad are owned by the Abu Dhabi government and the airline's association with the City owner, Sheikh Mansour, a member of the Abu Dhabi royal family, will almost certainly prompt Uefa's Club Financial Control Panel, under the chairmanship of the former Belgian prime minister Jean-Luc Dehaene, to investigate.

WHERE THE FUCK HAVE YOU BEEN

lol. Settled into a new job, staunchly ignored gaf in the process than basically forgot about it. Came back for some info from an old thread, stayed (for now).

As to L. Bender - he's been horrendous this season, was unremarkable even when Lev. had a good run. Our Bender seemingly also degenerated (passing, off. contribution got worse)...though he'll be missed vs. Real :|

Plasma

Banned
The quotes from Wenger are making it sound as though he is treating the Chelsea result as an anomaly, wake up this has happened three times this season it isn't an accident.

Good to see you back Yurt!

--

Barbara Berlusconi confirmed during an interview that we'll probably have to wait around 3 years to see what they (especially her) have been up to. Basically around the time the new stadium is built.

It's a shitty timing, considering that the stadium might be ready in 2017 (I wouldn't bet on it imho, I'd say we'll play there for the first time in 2018 at least, maybe even 2019) but we'd have to wait at least another year to see how much we'll earn from that and then we'd consider buying some players. Also, I'm not sure what we could expect for the rest of the years: Barbara said that we'll focus even more on young and promising talents, but that's probably even more expansive and it's hard to attract a random Neymar when your team isn't even in the Europa League and you don't have money to match PSG-City-Real-Bayern or whatever offers.

Still, it's a plan. For the first one time in a long time and it could actually work.

GorillaJu

The hits just don't stop coming.

Of Pellegrini's claim that City are the only club in Manchester this year, Moyes said: "Well, Manchester United had lots and lots of seasons of domination. I don't think if I was a manager I would have turned round and necessarily said that we were the only club in Manchester because football does change. It goes in cycles."

Moyes admitting that Man Utd's era of domination is over. At least he's being pragmatic, I guess.

The hits just don't stop coming.

Moyes admitting that Man Utd's era of domination is over. At least he's being pragmatic, I guess.

Moyeezus said:
I don't think if I was a manager...

I've heard some excuses, but for a manager to claim that he's not actually a manager takes the Octopus of Badia

Tactical booking incoming for Gerrard, hopefully in the last minute against Spurs. Has a 2-game ban coming up at some point between now and the end of the season, and we'd be idiots to risk said ban covering one of the Chelsea/City matches. Thank fuck Lucas is back.

Guardian are saying we've agreed deals in principle for two players already. Hope that's right cus we really need to get our business done as early as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom