• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT17| I'm Spartacus

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's fucking true. Shit is crazy! I want none of that against Suarez and Sturridge. ��

stur1.gif

Sg.gif

Gimme dat high line

edit: Gerrard pass is PL pass of the season

Makes me wonder is Fergusano actually picked Moyes because he knew he sucked... And then he will be remembered like a total genius, God, ppl beging to return, etc etc.

Well, he's certainly made me realize even more how much of a legend SAF really was. Same squad won the league with points to spare!

I know everyone is a year older now, but there really hasn't been a chasm/regression between their performances for the club over a year that would account for 8 places in the table.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The ref from the Arsenal game wants shooting, blowing the final whistle when he did was criminal. If it had been Arsenal 1 v 1 in the last few seconds he wouldn't dare end the game, Swansea were about to win.

I'd have been happier with a loss had United put up a fight but they were never really in the game.

Neville and Scholes' comments about pace were spot on. Even tonight, there were so many times where United were on the break but players just stopped and passed the ball back - continuing this negative style of play.

I actually felt for Shinji too, because he was constantly moving into decent positions but the player in possession would just stop, look around and then pass the ball backwards. He got noticeably frustrated at points.

If Moyes stays (and tbh, I'm getting more frustrated at the players at this point) then there needs to be a big clear out of deadwood in the summer. I know he gets stick for not sticking to the same squad and changing so much in every match, but it must be hard when the players themselves aren't doing the bare basics required of them.

Something needs to change, and that's not just because United lost 0-3 but because of the manner of the defeat.

pulsemyne

The ref from the Arsenal game wants shooting, blowing the final whistle when he did was criminal. If it had been Arsenal 1 v 1 in the last few seconds he wouldn't dare end the game, Swansea were about to win.

Even looking at it without my swans fan glasses I have to say it was a shit decision. Clear one on one with the keeper and he blows the whistle. Still we got a draw.

Scum

It really blows my mind. I can't sleep, but thinking about it. How on earth are you playing with a highline with Dawson and Kaboul/Chadli/Whoever is backed into playing a CB despite being them the slowest defenders in the League?
and Why is Sharewood playing the same exact tactics as AVB which made him gone in the first place?

Pls, Scum, help me understand this!
Dat offside trap, innit. ¬_¬

Dawson out. Chiriches in.

Clegg

Something that Michael Cox pointed out on twitter.

Moyes got his a tactics so horribly wrong that he was forced to change things within ten minutes because were being dominated.

Abraxas

the lack of depth is problematic, but I think the bigger problem is a lot simpler: the reason we had a "no Fabregas, no win" mentality is because Fabregas was a world class player. similar thing with RVP. Wenger still has not replaced them. He hasn't even replaced Adebayor ffs. the depth is fine, I think, but the standard of the team is simply not high enough and has probably dropped since then.

Giroud is not good enough and it's safe to say he never will be. He's fucking shit and is the worst first choice striker amongst the top seven by a good country mile. Soldado, Adebayor, Lukaku, fucking Torres; I don't care, Giroud is shit.

Arteta was a good stopgap, he's played well for the club in a tough period, but he's not good enough either. Flamini is a stop gap. Wilshere has regressed and is not good enough. You can play one of those three in a midfield 3 alongside two world class players (I'll consider Ozil world class) but no more. Ox is not a central midfielder and never has been; one good performance against a moribund Milan midfield (a fucking terrible Milan side, outside of Ibra, at that) does not a world class central midfielder make.

Ozil was the right purchase, a long-term solution in a crucial area of the pitch, in the wrong position. Now Wenger or whoever needs to do that in midfield and again up front before he can even contemplate buying another flashy attacking midfielder. Wenger has spent too many seasons papering over the cracks instead of actually providing long term fixes to these problems and until someone makes those purchases, this squad simply isn't good enough to challenge for the title.

Wall (of opinions) inbound.

Couldn't agree more with you, and I should probably get my thoughts on arsenal out of the way now.

We have, and most have noted it, been without a competent CM/DM since Viera left, and Wenger's attempts to patch that gap are a bigger joke than Frimpong. We've seen Fabregas played deeper, Song Billong, and double DM set-up to make allowances for an inability to use just one. Simply buying a competent DM seems utterly foreign to Wenger. Now we have a dual situation where: 1) DM's are at a premium price due to the overall acceptance of 4-5-1 among the top teams and 2) Wilshere playing a holding role, where he will never reach his potential. Shocking similarities to Barca's refusal to buy a center back. It really just shows an unwillingness to simply admit a failing in the squad, and deal with it. This can be seen in our Goalkeepers between Lehmann and last season.

The striker situation is also a joke. Wenger received two of the greatest strikers the league has ever seen, and now refuses to break their mold. Sanogo is case in point for this: gangly, french, baldy and an utter unknown, but with bags of potential. there is little point spending a lifetime searching for a new Henry and Bergkamp (although they'd be appreciated) because they were effectively one offs. What we need is, in effect, a fast and strong classic striker, and that is so blindingly obvious. Imagine an Arsenal team where a striker brings down a 30 yard ball AND out muscles the defender! Of course, these players are rare, and expensive. So onto my final point...

The Squad is not, in fact, "just one or two signings from glory". Our golden youth never came good, even to the point of serving as backups, with a few exceptions. Furthermore, the first XI needs: a Striker, at least one midfielder, a true winger, and new LB once Sagna leaves. In the squad, a backup/new #1 keeper, and new CB once Vermaelen leaves, another CM, another striker (Unless Sanogo comes good), and a different wide option.

When discussing the next window, we need to be very realistic, both with purchases and what it will take to be top 4 at least in the next few years. FFP is a lie, and one that Wenger never really believed, so we will have to spend. We badly need a Costa, who is off to Chelsea, or a Jovetic/Falcao. Sadly, the best we can hope for is Dzeko, and most likely will end up with Remy. I hold out hope of Pato joining and then living up to his potential (Dat €15 Million rumored clause). Wenger will try and get Ba on loan again.
At DM, we should look at an out-and-out DM, rather than a hybrid a-la Schweinstieger. Our most likely chance is Schniederlin, but a cheeky bid for Matuidi/Thiago Motta (especially if Pogba comes in) would be good. Alaba as a DM? (Sorry Bayern-GAF)
We won't get a Winger, especially if Griezmann goes to PSG (What a talent), and Reus will never happen.
No need to get Draxler, even though he is talented.
We won't get a full back. Terror ensues as Sagna leaves and Gibbs get injured, Miquel at RB.
Won't get a CB, but Verm will leave, as he should.
Martinez will be second choice keeper next year, unless Viviano wants to continue to waste his career.

Expenditure in the summer: >£35 million

tl;dr: Wengers spendthrift nature requires a huge expenditure to correct, which won't happen.

Jarnet87

I'm long past the feels. My feels died months ago, I am dead inside watching United. Only a man of fire and passion can resurrect me.

klopp.gif

Only Klopp can save me now.

Clegg

Guardian and Telegraph both say Fergie was at the game and received abuse from fans over his appointment of Moyes.

Starting to get ugly now.

Wilbur

Banned
I wanted us to win that one because it's City, but if losing a few pointless matches to some teams well below us means Moyes is out by the end of the summer, I may well take it

Elchele

Something that Michael Cox pointed out on twitter.

Moyes got his a tactics so horribly wrong that he was forced to change things within ten minutes because were being dominated.

like Pep in the first leg vs Arsenal

holy fuck

[IMGf]http://abload.de/img/untitled-16dall6.gif[/IMG]

he really doesn't have any eyebrows! whatisthissorcery

HOLY SHIT YOU'RE RIGHT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom