• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT17| I'm Spartacus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Might be a bit much to ask of him to make the weekend against us.

Yeah, he won't play. I wouldn't bother starting Dawson either, Kaboul is rusty but he's getting better with every game and doesn't kick the ball into people's legs. Sounds like Walker is definitely out though, apparently his hip injury will require surgery in the summer. He's been a big miss for us, it's not a coincidence that Naughton's run in the side has led to some poor results.

Gylfi on joining Tottenham over Liverpool:

“People have asked me that, but at the time I was really happy to come to Tottenham, and I still am,” he said. “I’m really enjoying it. It’s a fantastic club and in the last couple of seasons we’ve shown the ambition to become better.

“Hopefully in the next couple of years, it will be really good. Because they didn’t qualify for Europe, Liverpool are playing one game a week and it’s benefited them quite a bit, because they’re fresh and ready to go in every game.”

I hope he stays, he has a great attitude and is one of the players I'd want starting in a do or die match. Powder-puff players like Paulinho need to wake the fuck up, if Sigurdsson is going into CM in place of Dembele and leaving you on the bench, you are not working hard enough. There have been some good signs from Chadli and Soldado recently, they seem to want to be here and are knuckling down. Hopefully Lamela does the same when he comes back in the next couple of weeks.

Tom Williams @tomwfootball
L'Equipe says PSG at "real risk" of Financial Fair Play punishments. UEFA accountants concerned by Qatar Tourism Authority sponsorship deal.

Tom Williams @tomwfootball
L'Equipe also says that UEFA accountants found PSG directors "a bit haughty" and "less convincing" than their Man City counterparts.

OH YES PLEASE, BAN THEM FROM NEXT SEASON'S CL

Please Platini, pretty please :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PgWlRgRaN0

Paul Scholes is spot on. This Arsenal team is made of cotton wool. We're garbage, and I think it's all Wenger's fault. His weak mentality rubs off on the players and there doesn't seem to be an ounce of discipline in any of our teams.

Strangely enough, we showed excellent discipline against Barcelona, Dortmund, Liverpool (earlier), and Bayern Munich (away). I know the team is capable of playing well without going gung ho and without a gameplan, but hey, we seem to crumble at the sight of British teams.

SAVE US KLOPP!
Bringing in 2 or 3 experienced no nonsense leadership material top players would fix most if not all of their problems. Problem is you can't really find those players except on other top teams.

EDIT:I should probably leave out "top" in my description as I realized only a handful of players meet the demands. The players need to be good enough to be in and around the starting eleven.

Yeah, he won't play. I wouldn't bother starting Dawson either, Kaboul is rusty but he's getting better with every game and doesn't kick the ball into people's legs. Sounds like Walker is definitely out though, apparently his hip injury will require surgery in the summer. He's been a big miss for us, it's not a coincidence that Naughton's run in the side has led to some poor results.

Missing Walker is a huge problem imo when you have pacy players like Suarez and Sturridge. The idea of Dawson and Naughton trying to defend against them makes me want to cry. At least Rose has some pace but he's better at being a winger than a defender. We have a big, big defensive problem at the mo. It's our biggest weak area that we'll need to fill in the summer (as well as Goalkeeper, probably).

This thread needs more Fellain-eh:

fellaini-zabaleta.gif

Feorax

I hope he stays, he has a great attitude and is one of the players I'd want starting in a do or die match. Powder-puff players like Paulinho need to wake the fuck up, if Sigurdsson is going into CM in place of Dembele and leaving you on the bench, you are not working hard enough. There have been some good signs from Chadli and Soldado recently, they seem to want to be here and are knuckling down. Hopefully Lamela does the same when he comes back in the next couple of weeks.

He's been a great buy for you, and probably the most consistent player you've had this season. If Spurs had a player on current form who could sit deep, defend and distribute at a high level, I'd say a midfield 3 with Eriksen and Siggy ahead of said holding player could work really well in a true 4-3-3.

On paper, when fit, Spurs probably have about 9 of the 11 they need to make a serious top 4 challenge, so I don't think there needs to be any sort of major expenditure in the summer. A manager with some real tactical nous will be far more of an asset.

On Wilshere, I completely agree with Scholes. His stunted development is as much down to the players around him and the coaching as it is his injuries. As shite as our midfield was at the start of the season, the months and months Henderson spent alongside Lucas and Gerrard have paid off massively.

@Milanello: Seedorf stopped yesterday's training in Rome 21 times in 36 minutes to explain his theories to the players.

Every minute and a half he had to stop everybody so that he could explain everything. No wonder we're shit, they can't understand the basics if he doesn't give them some time.

He's been a great buy for you, and probably the most consistent player you've had this season. If Spurs had a player on current form who could sit deep, defend and distribute at a high level, I'd say a midfield 3 with Eriksen and Siggy ahead of said holding player could work really well in a true 4-3-3.

Sandro perhaps? Dembele has his glue-boots but his distribution isn't that great. Sandro is a future captain for us, too - a Keane like figure who's been at the club a few years and, unlike Dawson, has the virtue of not being absolutely shit.

But then, who up top? Soldado, Ade and... one of the wingers? Lamella, once his balls get reattached?

Wilbur

Banned
I thought he was the best centre back in the league last season after a dodgy start. Like Shatner says, the drop in quality has been astonishing.

sohois

On paper, when fit, Spurs probably have about 9 of the 11 they need to make a serious top 4 challenge, so I don't think there needs to be any sort of major expenditure in the summer. A manager with some real tactical nous will be far more of an asset.

Do they? Perhaps it's an effect of the poor management, but seems like some players are living on their reputation, such as Verthonghen and Dembele. Who are the 9 players you would put out as being top 4 challengers?

What is more, it's not much use being 2 players away when you probably need 2 £40million players to get up there. Tottenham almost certainly need another big spend this summer, particularly when you consider that all of the top 4 are likely to consolidate their positions with big spending of their own. It's why I feel Utd, as well, will have a huge challenge to get back into the top 4 right away.

Blablurn

Schweinsteiger told France Football that Totti and Giggs were his rolemodels. And he said there were several times when he was about to leave bayern because someone else wanted him

I thought he was the best centre back in the league last season after a dodgy start. Like Shatner says, the drop in quality has been astonishing.

I thought Vidic was better last season when fit. It was just impossible for him to receive any award for his performance after missing the entire first half of the season.

qindarka

Banned
For his amazing wing play and defensive headers. Seriously, if we can offload Torres in the summer it will be a good summer.

Would be nice to offload Torres and Ba, the latter shouldn't be a problem. Don't mind the old man getting a new one year contract.

Costa and Shaw in, possibly another midfielder to improve on Ramires, and I think that would be an ideal and fairly realistic summer.

Feorax

Sandro perhaps? Dembele has his glue-boots but his distribution isn't that great. Sandro is a future captain for us, too - a Keane like figure who's been at the club a few years and, unlike Dawson, has the virtue of not being absolutely shit.

But then, who up top? Soldado, Ade and... one of the wingers? Lamella, once his balls get reattached?

Sandro on top form would probably do it, but it would be asking a lot of him. Might well take him a little while to adjust.

Soldado and Ade could alternate up front for at least one more season. Realistically though, one of Townsend or Lamella needs to start playing on the left wing in order to make the most of Soldado. He's the type of striker that thrives on service from wide areas, so if you have two right wingers cutting in most of the time then it's absolutely pointless him being on the pitch.

Do they? Perhaps it's an effect of the poor management, but seems like some players are living on their reputation, such as Verthonghen and Dembele. Who are the 9 players you would put out as being top 4 challengers?

What is more, it's not much use being 2 players away when you probably need 2 £40million players to get up there. Tottenham almost certainly need another big spend this summer, particularly when you consider that all of the top 4 are likely to consolidate their positions with big spending of their own. It's why I feel Utd, as well, will have a huge challenge to get back into the top 4 right away.

I'd say Lloris, Walker, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Sandro, Eriksen, Siggurdson, Adebayor and Lamella are all players who could fit comfortably in a top 4 side. Some are out of form, of course, but I wouldn't say any of them are at the point where I would deem them past it.

Ushojax

We have lots of good players, people like Chadli and Eriksen are finally showing quality consistently and Sigurdsson, Chiriches, Bentaleb, etc are all good squad options. What we need most is a quality LB to compete with Rose, a striker to replace Defoe, and a keeper to replace Friedel.

There is still a lot more to come from this team, the player we bought to replace Bale has hardly kicked a ball, Ade's only played half a season, Kaboul only just back fit, when you think that we have Holtby, Livermore, Assou-Ekotto and Carroll out on loan plus Harry Kane, we have a vast squad. It all depends on who the manager is, LVG might be a mentalist but he would get more out of this squad than AVB did.

Lloris
Walker Kaboul Vertonghen Rose
Sandro Dembele
Lamela Eriksen Townsend
Adebayor

That team plus Paulinho, Sigurdsson, Chadli, Soldado, etc on the bench, that's a quality side. We need to give them some time.

Clegg

On the 26th March 2013:

United were on 74 points and were 15 points ahead of second place.

Now we're on 51 points 18 points behind first place.

This has to be the beginning of the end for Moyes right? Right? Please,please tell me I'm right! Maybe a double digit aggregate loss to Bayern will finally wake the board room up to the worthless fuck they have managing the team.

sohois

Sandro on top form would probably do it, but it would be asking a lot of him. Might well take him a little while to adjust.

Soldado and Ade could alternate up front for at least one more season. Realistically though, one of Townsend or Lamella needs to start playing on the left wing in order to make the most of Soldado. He's the type of striker that thrives on service from wide areas, so if you have two right wingers cutting in most of the time then it's absolutely pointless him being on the pitch.

I'd say Lloris, Walker, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Sandro, Eriksen, Siggurdson, Adebayor and Lamella are all players who could fit comfortably in a top 4 side. Some are out of form, of course, but I wouldn't say any of them are at the point where I would deem them past it.

The thing is, how do you tell with a team when a player is just 'out of form' or being misused, as opposed to someone who is genuinely past it or just a one season wonder?

Kaboul has managed about 10 games in his past 2 seasons and is only getting older. Vertonghen has fallen off hard after his first season, and Lloris has suffered as well. Lamela has shown nothing to suggest he can handle the premier league. Who's to say that this won't be the new normal for them? And I doubt any sane manager would want to rely on Adebayor going forward.

Ushojax

Just seen Swansea's second goal. Unbelievably soft defending from Arsenal.

Their legs are going, it's obvious now. Wenger overplayed all his best players and now they're injured, players like Arteta, Giroud and Cazorla are flagging after 15 minutes and they just look laboured.

I see Wenger has said Ramsey is still 'two weeks away'. In Wenger-speak that means he's out for the rest of the season.

Clegg

Their legs are going, it's obvious now. Wenger overplayed all his best players and now they're injured, players like Arteta, Giroud and Cazorla are flagging after 15 minutes and they just look laboured.

I see Wenger has said Ramsey is still 'two weeks away'. In Wenger-speak that means he's out for the rest of the season.
The deflections it took were a bit unlucky but there were a couple of times before when Arsenal could've cleared the ball but weren't able to. Like you say they look tired.

Wilbur

Banned
Some people certainly out for Moyeezus now.

One step forward, five steps back has been the team motto for this season, and boy does it show. Then again, I think we were bound to experience a bad result after our recent tremendous run of form that saw us win a whopping total of two games in a row. The manager hasn’t got a clue, and he knows it. That’s the terrible bit. He knows he shouldn’t be here and he can’t believe his luck! Any other self-respecting manager would have walked out had they sunk a once great club down to this level, but Moyes knows he shouldn’t be here in the first place and is trying to savour every second that he is. A clown, plain and simple.

That's from some player ratings I found on twitter.

Here's bearded genius - http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/david-moyes-calling-man-united-3287043

Abraxas

Who do you think will start in the center against city? I can't see another Flam-arteta combo, but ox leaves us too defensively frail.

If Moyes mentions his 6 year contract again, I think someone will put a contract on him.

You sometimes hate the ones you love and you love the ones you hate. While I'm enjoying the sinking of Man United, I feel a bit of sadness as well. It's kind of a Loki-Thor thing.

Liverpool is Thor. And in Top Gun, Liverpool is Tom Cruise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom