• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT17| I'm Spartacus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

Arnie why did you quote me. Now I'm banned from United's meetings :(

ibfKM7FuRbGm2r.gif

w8

u had django?

-

TLoU TRUEHD EDITION in the summer :D
HOLY SHEIT WILL BUY AGAIN
TLOU this time the image quality is decent edition, would be my biggest motivation to buy a ps4. Yeah I really like it. Also i want to see Freewheelin play online again.

I would pay Freewheelin' to stream it.

I am not joking.

Game of the gen releasing this early into the generation.

The last of us.

Freewheelin in 1080p goodness. I cannot wait.
Oh you guys. looool I was the king of TLOU MP. GOTG FOR SURE.

feel

TLOU this time the image quality is decent edition, would be my biggest motivation to buy a ps4. Yeah I really like it. Also i want to see Freewheelin play online again.
Yeah I'll be getting a ps4 sooner or later, and this would definitely help it happen sooner. I never finished TLoU on the ps3, it was a great game but the image quality and framerate were almost unbearable for a PC gamer like me. The game deserves such a much better presentation.

The Llama

I don't know how reliable Duncan Castles is, but in his article about United looking for a replacement manager he says that in the build up to the derby Moyes set up his training sessions to be orientated around 4-4-2 but on the day of the game he went 4-3-3 instead.

Very peculiar.

Duncan Castles is pretty much BFF's with Mourinho, and has been the first to break news on things like Mourinho preferring Oscar to Mata and thus wanting to sell Mata (seriously, I think he reported that before Mourinho even officially took the Chelsea job), but not sure how good his Moyeschester United contacts are.

Yeah I'll be getting a ps4 sooner or later, and this would definitely help it happen sooner. I never finished TLoU on the ps3, it was a great game but the image quality and framerate were almost unbearable for a PC gamer like me. The game deserves such a much better presentation.

Haven't played TLOU, but I know pretty much exactly what you mean. Towards the end of last gen, that same issue kept me from playing a lot of games (like TLOU), though I couldn't resist GTA5.

Jarnet87

Will buy TLOU for PS4 because my PS Phat couldn't handle it.

Also,

indykaila News ‏@indykaila 5m
Exclusive: Ryan Giggs has stated to the Manchester United board, he wants to become #MUFC manager on short term contract.

If only Indy was right for once. We'd have the Class of '92 running things at United.

When people like Gary Neville are still calling for traditional wingers, it makes me very scared to see what Giggs or anyone else from the class of 92 would do as manager. Maybe Scholes because he seems to understand the modern game.

Also, lol at Madrid losing. Thought them and Barca had these last 8 games on lock. Now they not only threw away the title, but theres a chance Barca could still claim it on the last day. Atletico vs Barca gonna be hype.

Salvadora

Duncan Castles is pretty much BFF's with Mourinho, and has been the first to break news on things like Mourinho preferring Oscar to Mata and thus wanting to sell Mata (seriously, I think he reported that before Mourinho even officially took the Chelsea job), but not sure how good his Moyeschester United contacts are.
So what you're saying is Mourinho is leaking anti-Moyseh stories to the press to undermine and usurp him as part of the class of '92 coup? Interesting.

The Llama

I wasn't able to watch the second half, but always nice to see LIVERPOOL get the 3 points. First half performance was decent, but after 10 minutes it was pretty obvious it would be a low scoring game (by our standards, anyway). Just glad to see we held on.

Clegg

When people like Gary Neville are still calling for traditional wingers, it makes me very scared to see what Giggs or anyone else from the class of 92 would do as manager. Maybe Scholes because he seems to understand the modern game.

Also, lol at Madrid losing. Thought them and Barca had these last 8 games on lock. Now they not only threw away the title, but theres a chance Barca could still claim it on the last day. Atletico vs Barca gonna be hype.
I think Neville is so fixated on wingers atm because they provide speed. We don't have any of that right now. The team is just so one paced.

arkon

Didn't realise there were midweek games across some of the other European leagues.

lol madrid. Got Sociedad away coming up. Do you normally fuck that up or is that Barcelona?

Would like to see Athletico go all the way this year.

Also Juve! Go for the 100-point barrier!

The Llama

I think Neville is so fixated on wingers atm because they provide speed. We don't have any of that right now. The team is just so one paced.

tbh I'd severely question the judgment of any manager who decided to play wingers only because they provide pace.

Clegg

tbh I'd severely question the judgment of any manager who decided to play wingers only because they provide pace.
I think he's actually moved away from wanting wingers in the team. His biggest criticisms seem to be the overall lack of standout athleticism in the squad. That and the zero creativity.

The Llama

I think he's actually moved away from wanting wingers in the team. His biggest criticisms seem to be the overall lack of standout athleticism in the squad. That and the zero creativity.

I haven't heard what he said, but I think if your logic is "this team lacks pace, what can they do??? Play wingers!!!" then I don't think you should be a manager. Then again, I'm usually against the idea of the former pro player becoming a manager (but being a Liverpool supporter, I'm naturally biased because I like "tactical" and, frankly, more continental managers like Benitez and Rodgers).

I really don't think athleticism is the problem of Moyeschester United, though. And the lack of creativity can be fixed through coaching. There's potentially a lot of creativity in the squad. I mean seriously, it has Mata, Rooney, Kagawa, RVP, etc. Its far from a perfect squad, but the fact that it lacks creativity is down to Moyes and poor training, not the squad.

Clegg

I haven't heard what he said, but I think if your logic is "this team lacks pace, what can they do??? Play wingers!!!" then I don't think you should be a manager. Then again, I'm usually against the idea of the former pro player becoming a manager (but being a Liverpool supporter, I'm naturally biased because I like "tactical" and, frankly, more continental managers like Benitez and Rodgers).

I really don't think athleticism is the problem of Moyeschester United, though. And the lack of creativity can be fixed through coaching. There's potentially a lot of creativity in the squad. I mean seriously, it has Mata, Rooney, Kagawa, RVP, etc. Its far from a perfect squad, but the fact that it lacks creativity is down to Moyes and poor training, not the squad.
That's actually an interesting point though. Sometimes you do need players who can provide width and pace to stretch the game. I actually think Neville is rightn in that regard. No doubt his call for wingers is rooted in his own personal bias, but it's an option that's worth considering. And I'm pretty sure most United fans would welcome a return to wing play if we managed to sign genuine quality there.

The main problem is a lack of creativity which is most certainly due to poor coaching. But in midfield we still lack dynamism. There isn't a Toure or a Ramsey there that can break forward and score. And we have no physically imposing defensive midfielder. Fellaini is strong but so slow. He also slows things down when we should be speeding up. He takes two touches to set himself when he should only be taking one.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
everyone knows my GoTG so I won't bore you guys again bringing it up
KuGsj.gif

Oh I'd love to do that! Just so we can delete every single merda Serie A record there is. But not at the cost of (ugh) Europa League. Let's just wrap up the league ASAP so we can turn our focus to inferior Europe.
Trezeguet scored the last two
Good, so you can shut up about him being shit.
hahah I love how you support every Serbian in football.
3AQmK.gif

FootballFan

Didn't realise there were midweek games across some of the other European leagues.

lol madrid. Got Sociedad away coming up. Do you normally fuck that up or is that Barcelona?

Would like to see Athletico go all the way this year.

Yes arkon. Let's do it!!!

The Llama

That's actually an interesting point though. Sometimes you do need players who can provide width and pace to stretch the game. I actually think Neville is rightn in that regard. No doubt his call for wingers is rooted in his own personal bias, but it's an option that's worth considering. And I'm pretty sure most United fans would welcome a return to wing play if we managed to sign genuine quality there.

The main problem is a lack of creativity which is most certainly due to poor coaching. But in midfield we still lack dynamism. There isn't a Toure or a Ramsey there that can break forward and score. And we have no physically imposing defensive midfielder. Fellaini is strong but so slow.

True, any top team needs pace, and I guess you and him are right in that they do need to play some wingers because they're really the only ones in the squad with pace. I just think its too simplistic to say "we need pace, play wingers!" when in reality its (IMO) more like "we need pace, where in our formation and we add this?"

Sort of agree with you about the lack of dynamism. Moyeschester United definitely need a new midfielder in the summer, but a 4-2-3-1 with Carrick-Fellaini as the 2 and Mata behind the striker would be able to get top 4, no problem. Ideally needs an upgrade on Fellaini and someone younger than Carrick for the next 2-3 years, but it woulda worked fine this year and next year.

Abraxas

The main problem is a lack of creativity which is most certainly due to poor coaching. But in midfield we still lack dynamism. There isn't a Toure or a Ramsey there that can break forward and score. And we have no physically imposing defensive midfielder. Fellaini is strong but so slow.

I feel like United may be better served by getting a new, decent full back who likes to bomb forward. Now we know that Rooney will be playing #10 for all eternity, Mata has to be pushed out onto one wing. Assuming two holding players, that just leaves the other wing, and if Januzaj is the great hope everyone believes he is, he should occupy that zone. Therefore a really high quality wing back, who would be cheaper than a similarly talented winger, would have both space and quality through balls, mostly via Mata.

Clegg

True, any top team needs pace, and I guess you and him are right in that they do need to play some wingers because they're really the only ones in the squad with pace. I just think its too simplistic to say "we need pace, play wingers!" when in reality its (IMO) more like "we need pace, where in our formation and we add this?"

Sort of agree with you about the lack of dynamism. Moyeschester United definitely need a new midfielder in the summer, but a 4-2-3-1 with Carrick-Fellaini as the 2 and Mata behind the striker would be able to get top 4, no problem. Ideally needs an upgrade on Fellaini and someone younger than Carrick for the next 2-3 years, but it woulda worked fine this year and next year.
Ideally we'd be taking a tactics based approach with how to deal with a lack of speed. Some teams don't possess out and out pace but their style of play gives that illusion. I'd argue that Dortmund at their very best didn't possess an out and out speedster but they broke in the counter so quickly that they overwhelmed teams. I think it's the same story with Atletico this season.

It still doesn't work fully with United though. There's a style of play there that's been around for decades and moving away from it takes time. United have always been at their best when playing with pace so I can understand the calls from ex players that United need more speedy players.

Christ this is a lot of stuff to dwell on at 1:30. Bed time methinks.

Scum

The main problem is a lack of creativity which is most certainly due to poor coaching. But in midfield we still lack dynamism. There isn't a Toure or a Ramsey there that can break forward and score. And we have no physically imposing defensive midfielder. Fellaini is strong but so slow. He also slows things down when we should be speeding up. He takes two touches to set himself when he should only be taking one.

4-3-1-2/4-3-2-1/4-2-3-1.

Your mob have completely forgotten was it's like to pass the ball through the middle. The middle of the pitch is non existent thanks to wing play.
When was the last time Moyes' Boys knocked the ball about, only for someone to thread in dat pass that caused mayhem in the opposition's box?

K1LLER7

Our wingers suck because they are too predictable imo. Apart from Adnan (Nani is done), not one has the skill/trickery to get past his player 1 v 1. They don't even try anymore. Valencia just waits for a overlap from a full back, Young turns in circles and then crosses. They don't make enough diagonal runs in behind the fullbacks either. Too many times we see them sticking to the touchline instead of offering some movement behind the oppositions defense.

Adnan would be perfect for the right wing, but he really needs to bulk up. Next 2-3 years will be massive for him.

The Llama

4-3-1-2/4-3-2-1/4-2-3-1.

Your mob have completely forgotten was it's like to pass the ball through the middle. The middle of the pitch is non existent thanks to wing play.
When was the last time Moyes' Boys knocked the ball about, only for someone to thread in dat pass that caused mayhem in the opposition's box?

Moyes? Pass the ball? Through the middle?!?

FootballFan

Our wingers suck because they are too predictable imo. Apart from Adnan (Nani is done), not one has the skill/trickery to get past his player 1 v 1. They don't even try anymore. Valencia just waits for a overlap from a full back, Young turns in circles and then crosses. They don't make enough diagonal runs in behind the fullbacks either. Too many times we see them sticking to the touchline instead of offering some movement behind the oppositions defense.

Adnan would be perfect for the right wing, but he really needs to bulk up. Next 2-3 years will be massive for him.

The squad needs a severe make-over.
Really really shite players wearing that jersey...Ferguson left the club with a few duds.

Can't all be Moyseh, can it?

K1LLER7

The squad needs a severe make-over.
Really really shite players wearing that jersey...Ferguson left the club with a few duds.

Can't all be Moyseh, can it?
Part blame should definitely go to the players. But this team isn't as bad as it's made out to be. Fergie won the title by 15 points and did well in Europe with a weaker squad. It should be getting top 4.

This year the squad has added Januzaj, Mata and Fellani. All offer an improvement on what we already have. However, I don't think Moyes and the players have clicked.

If Moyes showed signs of actually building his own team to play in a certain style and actually showed some sort of progress, then I think fans would back him. Like Liverpool did Rodgers. Moyes has done none of that this season. The fact that he doesn't have the bottle to take a player off because of "what people would think" is ridiculous. There is no identity to this team. One step forward, two steps back, all season long.

Messi pls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom