• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT17| I'm Spartacus

Status
Not open for further replies.

pulga

Banned
i7a66AXUHP4Cx.gif

tumblr_lgi5fdfaIi1qewvt3o1_500.gif

The Llama

The squad was already old and only gotten older, not to mention the injuries too... Not that moyes doesn't have a huge part in this too, but there's more problems at United than that and just firing him won't fix that much.

A lot of the injuries are Moyes fault too, because of his "RUN DEM LAPS" training methods.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Surely the best buy this season...?

In Serie A, probably yes!

Forget about his 19 goals and 7 assists, the way he lifts the team up with his electrifying grinta is something we truly missed. The striker version of Vidal.

Herr K

Banned
In Serie A, probably yes!

Forget about his 19 goals and 7 assists, the way he lifts the team up with his electrifying grinta is something we truly missed. The striker version of Vidal.

It really makes me jealous seeing your squad. Talented and charismatic players, who work their asses off most of the time. You got Pirlo, Gigi, Llorente, Tevez, Vidal (GOAT) and maybe even Pogba...

...meanwhile, we have Robinho.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
It really makes me jealous seeing your squad. Talented and charismatic players, who work their asses off most of the time. You got Pirlo, Gigi, Llorente, Tevez, Vidal (GOAT) and maybe even Pogba...

we used to say the same about Milan too! Football is all about cycles and your time will come again. You won't be stuck in this transition phase forever.

and we'll go back to mid-table when Conte goes to United.

The Llama

Unpopular opinion, but I feel like Juve's squad is a bit overrated because Serie A in general is a bit weak right now. Just look at their European performances recently... Still a very good squad, though.

Herr K

Banned
^ to be fair, it's amazing how Juve was left out of UCL's round of 16. Galatasaray did it just to troll, I'm sure.
we used to say the same about Milan too! Football is all about cycles and your time will come again. You won't be stuck in this transition phase forever.

and we'll go back to mid-table when Conte goes to United.

<3

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Conte: &#8220;Parma had very little to lose. Today was not an easy match and fatigue played it&#8217;s part, this was inevitable. But I&#8217;m happy because we continue to align victories. Maybe you could also think of ways to help Italian teams in Europe. I think of the Bundesliga, where there is an important stop in the winter, then it&#8217;s no wonder that in Europe we do not reach the right results sometimes. &#8221;

&#8220;Bayern is from another planet at the moment and will be so for several years I&#8217;m afraid. Currently only teams like Barcelona or Real Madrid can compete at that level. &#8221;

the sad reality.

Unpopular opinion, but I feel like Juve's squad is a bit overrated because Serie A in general is a bit weak right now. Just look at their European performances recently... Still a very good squad, though.

Define recently? Because we did well last season with a significantly lesser team. Now we have Tevez, Llorente and an improved version of Pogba. If you look closely at our results, you'll see how unlucky we really were. Gala scored in injury time in both games, Ronaldo diving and sending Chiellini off (missed two games), and...fucking hell. Hell, we still have the most shots per game in the CL, above Bayern.

Llorente only started playing recently unfortunately, we could have used him in Denmark :(

but we deserved to go out for leaving it late. Lesson learned (hopefully..)

The Llama

the sad reality.

Define recently? Because we did well last season with a significantly lesser team. Now we have Tevez, Llorente and an improved version of Pogba. If you look closely at our results, you'll see how unlucky we really were. Llorente only started playing recently unfortunately.

but we deserved to go out for leaving it late. Lesson learned.

"Very well" is a bit of a stretch IMO. Pretty par for the course. This season was, of course, a bit of a disaster.

I just expect more from them in Europe, especially given how highly everyone talks about all of their players (hell, in FM14, Pogba is
one of 3 -10 players in terms of potential
).

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
"Very well" is a bit of a stretch IMO. Pretty par for the course. This season was, of course, a bit of a disaster.

I just expect more from them in Europe, especially given how highly everyone talks about all of their players (hell, in FM14, Pogba is
one of 3 -10 players in terms of potential
).

I said well :p

I don't know, we were in pot 3, finished top of our group in Conte's debut season and went out to Bayern. We had Matri upfront, please understand. :lol And yeah, it was a disaster, but not for the reasons you listed. BVB went from group crashers to a CL final, remember. We just pulled a Mancini's City, if you will. -_-

OH so this is about Pogba?
3AQmK.gif
he's clearly world class, and it has nothing to do with him playing in Italy.
we'll see in Spain next season

the sad reality.

Define recently? Because we did well last season with a significantly lesser team. Now we have Tevez, Llorente and an improved version of Pogba. If you look closely at our results, you'll see how unlucky we really were. Gala scored in injury time in both games, Ronaldo diving and sending Chiellini off (missed two games), and...fucking hell. Hell, we still have the most shots per game in the CL, above Bayern.

Llorente only started playing recently unfortunately, we could have used him in Denmark :(

but we deserved to go out for leaving it late. Lesson learned (hopefully..)

I think you guys can compete with Bayern if you guys continue to improve the team and don't lose anyone. That's what Bayern do. They already had a great team, but continued adding talent. They also had a great rival to elevate their motivation and transfers.

Zabojnik

This. He's like 70% of our attacking potential. We lose so much when he isn't playing ...

Talented and charismatic, sure, but we're seriously lacking in the 'pure class & creativity' department, imo. With a Ribery-esque winger or a Zidane-like trequartista this team would reach the next level. Unfortuntely, both roles are kinda incompatible with our current formation. Which is why so many fans are calling for a change.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I think you guys can compete with Bayern if you guys continue to improve the team and don't lose anyone. That's what Bayern do. They already had a great team, but continued adding talent. They also had a great rival to elevate their motivation and transfers.
here's the problem...because Rafa's Napoli is still at 76%.
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

GorillaJu

On the positive side Coutinho was absolutely breathtaking. If he can play like that for the rest of the season Liverpool will have a great shot at doing something big. Overall Liverpool played quite well, we just forgot our shooting boots...We had 21 shots and 65% plus possession - any other day the final score is 3 or 4 nil. We just went to sleep on a set piece and then got a case of the frighteners...

Yeah that sounds more like it, looking at the stats. The Guardian played up Sunderland quite a bit, but watching the highlights it seems like we played really well in midfield, just didn't score as many goals as usual.

FootballFan

Lol Madrid

lol.

It's been a great week man. A fantastic one even. Quick turnaround.

Valdes' injury is the only bad spot.

From losing to Sociedad and Valladolid. To beating City, Real Madrid(easily and away while they were on fire AND with plug there), and now only a point away from being first.

Might go down to the wire. It is in our hands now since we are 1 point behind Atletico with a game against them left.

I still don't think we'll win it, but it's been great.

Blablurn

lol.

From losing to Sociedad and Valladolid. To beating City, Real Madrid(easily and away while they were on fire AND with plug there), and now only a point away from being first.

Might go down to the wire. It is in our hands now since we are 1 point behind Atletico with a game against them left.

you guys better dont fuck it up in the next weeks!

Ultimatum

Banned
Yep, the only team that is better is Barca 08-11.

a big part of what made Barca so good during those years was tiki-taka, at the time it made them extremely hard to deal with, that wouldn't be the case any more. Barca 08-11 were fantastic, but not on the same level as Bayern is now.

Linius

lol.

Yeah from here on out it's on Barca. No depending on Madrid anymore. But knowing how easily Barca concedes sometimes I dunno where we'll end up :p

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
You can't say something like Best team this decade this early in the competition. For all you know, Moyes' boys might knock them out. ;)

FootballFan

Can't believe Valdes' last action for us will be that Save --> Injury.. shitty way to go out.

He's a cunt. But he was our cunt. :'(

Going to miss having him, for all the dumb shit he did every now and then, he was still a great great best keeper for us.

iblPSa5z6Fmjkq.jpg

iRQu5mZcAbFYW.jpg

ibeNrGDRnwy1CI.jpg

bjaelke

UEFA Nations League launched
The 54 UEFA member associations have unanimously adopted a four-point resolution entitled “Resolution on National Team Football 2018-2022” at the XXXVIII Ordinary UEFA Congress in Astana which will see the launch of the UEFA Nations League from 2018. The competition will feature promotion and relegation and will replace most international friendlies.

"We accept and respect that all UEFA member associations have agreed to create a new competition,” said Wolfgang Niersbach, chairman of the National Teams Competition Committee. “This is a big step for national teams in Europe and we hope that fans will support the new format."

The UEFA Nations League and the EURO Qualifiers will be linked, with the new competition allowing an extra chance to qualify for UEFA EURO final tournaments. The competition and proposed amended qualifying formats for the European Qualifiers, starting with UEFA EURO 2020, came after a thorough consultation process with UEFA’s member associations, which began in 2011.

The exact format of the UEFA Nations League has not been finalised and will be the subject of further discussions between UEFA member associations, but the concept is for the 54 national teams to be divided into four large divisions according to coefficient rankings.

Prior to UEFA EURO 2020, each division will be sub-divided into four pools of three or four teams, so each team plays four to six matches between September and November 2018. The final four competition, involving the four pool group-winners of group A, will start in 2019, whereas play-offs for the UEFA EURO will then take place in March 2020. National teams will thus either be competing to become UEFA Nations League champions, or be fighting for promotion and to avoid relegation in their groups, as well as to qualify for EURO play-offs.

Coutinho was boss today. Dribbled well, made the right pass pretty much every time, and was probably the only attacker doing a good job of carrying the ball from our half into their's without losing it. Would like to see him at the head of a trident behind SSS again. Its the position that theoretically best suits his, and the forward's, attributes.

Earlier a couple of people were bemoaning Suarez staying on while Sturridge got subbed, evidence of Rodgers pandering to Suarez, but it's pretty obvious why it happened even if Suarez was having an off-game. We were nervous and jittery, and long balls were needed as the defense never looked comfortable playing the ball out (aside from one lovely little triangle between Flanagan, Allen and Coutinho). Sunderland's deep line nullified the threat of a long ball freeing Sturridge for a run at goal, so the forward needed to hold the ball up. Suarez is absolutely boss at just turning situations where the ball is launched in his general direction while isolated with 2 centrebacks and a fullback around him into solid possession, with a nudge or a just standing his ground, either winning the ball or a free kick.

Plus, his chasing down is much better than Sturridge's, and more likely to prevent the opposition from having the time needed to build a real move from the back.

@bjaelke, is this just a way for the big-boys to avoid having to play the likes of San Marino in the qualifiers?

Will double dip on TLoU if you guys plan on jumping back into the MP for a bit, and there's new maps, game modes etc. Hopefully there's a more in-depth Private mode. If so, Body Armour is getting fucking banned. Do one, Hixx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom