• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT17| I'm Spartacus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I genuinely thought I was being overly pessimistic when I said I would be happy with "top 4 and a decent cup run" this season. It's a travesty that such a grounded prediction has turned out so far off the mark.

Because everyone of United GAF were predicting us to be in 3rd or 4th (I thought my United bros were pussies), I went contrarian and predicted United as champions. Although I did say only if United got a great midfielder.

dc89

Because everyone of United GAF were predicting us to be in 3rd or 4th (I thought my United bros were pussies), I went contrarian and predicted United as champions. Although I did say only if United got a great midfielder.

It's come to light this season that United are 5, 6 maybe even 7 players away from being challengers again.

A lot of the squad are just tired and haggard.

I think you need a whole new back 4. Maybe Raf is good enough, I dunno. I think you need a decent central midfielder or two. And then decide if Nani is staying or going, every window he seems to be linked with moves away.

Oh my God.

Christ. Wilbur talking as though there was no chance in hell that Moyes could fail badly enough to drop out of the top 4. Willian hype from Liverpool, before Spurs even got involved let alone Chelsea. General antipathy towards Suarez from Liverpool fans.

This season's been boss.

Into

I never made a prediction where Manure would be at, position wise. But i did make a prediction that the new shine/honeymoon period would be quickly over with the new manager. A few loses and bad performances and things go sour, that is what every football fan has experience with new managers at the club they support. "Moyes Boys" back then when he got appointed was not something used ironically to make fun of this doofus of a manger, it was used like this big positive thing, a new era of 20+ years of domination.

..Which is not something most Manure fans, unless they are 40+ years old have ever experienced. For them this whole ordeal is new, sure they have seen other teams change managers and things going badly, but feeling it on the team you love is a different manner altogether.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=76663139&postcount=16601

Look at this shit.

I'm quite proud that I added in that pothead image of my United Champions prediction at the time of that post. I didn't want to sound negative like everyone else.

KidA Seven said:
Premier League

1. Manchester United*

tumblr_mr2au368S11staej2o1_500.gif

2. Chelsea
3. Manchester City
4. Arsenal
5. Tottenham Hotspur
6. Liverpool
7. Swansea City
8. Everton
9. Newcastle United
10. Southampton
11. West Bromwich Albion
12. Cardiff
13. West Ham
14. Aston Villa
15. Fulham
16. Sunderland
17. Norwich
18. Stoke City
19. Hull
20. Crystal Palace

*I reserve the right to change that pick if signings do not happen

Juve, Dortmund, and Barca to win their leagues.

Arnie said:
Premature predictions that'll no doubt be laughably incorrect come May. But fuck it, #yolo, live a little. And I've edited the list to remove all the hipster fucking Mexican league predictions.

Premier League

1. Manchester City (Pellegrini is a brilliant manager, City have bought well)
2. Manchester United (Moyes inheriting a poorly oiled machine that's good at winning)
3. Chelsea (Mourinho finishes similar to Rafa but without the silverware)
4. Liverpool (someone fucking had to)
5. Arsenal (They're having a woeful summer)
6. Tottenham Hotspur (They'll lose Bale)
7. West Bromwich Albion (Steve Clarke continues his path to world domination)
8. Swansea City (BONY)
9. Aston Villa (Maroon Dortmund continue their ascent)
10. Norwich City (Leroy Fer is good in the middle)
11. Southampton (Don't even know. Luke Shaw)
12. Everton (Will lose Fellaini, Martinez isn't as good as people think he is)
13. Fulham (It's Fulham, they could sign Messi and still finish 13th)
14. West Ham (Inevitable Allardyce slump)
15. Cardiff (Shit version of Swansea)
16. Sunderland (Too many signings)
17. Newcastle (Too many French players)
18. Stoke City (Mark Hughes is a shithouse)
19. Crystal Palace (Holloway's weird)
20. Hull (I hope Steve Bruce cries)

FA Cup - Manchester City (Manuel does the double)
League Cup - Arsenal (THEY'VE FUCKING DONE IT)
Player of the Year - Yaya Toure

Champions League - Real Madrid (Bale will score in the final)
Europa League - Ajax (HOW GOOD WOULD THAT BE)
World Cup - Germany

Wilbur said:
Anyone that isn't tongue in cheek and thinks United finish outside the top four or City finish as low as four genuinely need their head examined.

jLUUs353mpFVI_e.jpg

LegoArmo

I can't believe I thought Spurs would be good, that's more embarrassing than thinking United would win the league.

Definitely should have waited for the transfer window to close.

Oh shit

If Everton win anything this season, I will cut my Hyypia shirt to ribbons, buy an Everton shirt with Neville on the back, and my avatar will forever be a photo of myself wearing it with a foot long dildo wrapped in the ribbons shoved up my arse

It ain't happening. You've spent an entire 4 minutes of the last 10 years looking like you could win something

Redeemed

edit: Not even from this season :lol

LegoArmo

Mark Ogden ✔ @MOgdenTelegraph

On Moyes 'ageing squad' comments, worth pointing out Mourinho inherited an ageing squad at Chelsea which finished third last season.

Good fucking point.

Sir Alex Ferguson said:
"I'm more pleased for you [the supporters] than anything else. To go through a thirty-eight game league programme and win it in style with a great bunch of players... it's a young squad, a lot of good young players. They're going to get better, a lot of them, and the big test is can they win it three times in a row as we've done before? I hope the boys can do that."

Shut up, Moyes.

Preseason prediction

1 Manchester City
2 Chelsea
3 Manchester United
4 Arsenal
5 Tottenham
6 Liverpool
7 Everton
8 Swansea
9 West Brom
10 Newcastle
11 Fulham
12 Southampton
13 West Ham
14 Aston Villa
15 Cardiff
16 Norwich
17 Sunderland
18 Stoke
19 Hull
20 Crystal Palace

September 1st prediction:

1 Manchester City (-)
2 Chelsea (-)
3 Tottenham (up2)
4 Manchester United (down1)
5 Arsenal (down1)
6 Liverpool (-)
7 Swansea (up1)
8 Everton (down1)
9 Southampton (up3)
10 West Ham (up3)
11 West Brom (down2)
12 Norwich (up4)
13 Sunderland (up4)
14 Aston Villa (-)
15 Newcastle (down5)
16 Fulham (down5)
17 Stoke (up1)
18 Cardiff (down3)
19 Crystal Palace (up1)
20 Hull (down1)

Way off.

Everyone has an ageing squad, tecnicalleh

chelsea has the best squad in the league, if by any chance they win the league which im sure city has it locked to win, then city fans shouldn't feel bad because 6 of those points were from the city game.

chelsea has the best squad in the league, if by any chance they win the league which im sure city has it locked to win, then city fans shouldn't feel bad because 6 of those points were from the city game.

City have the best squad in the league. Handily, as well.

Chelsea have the best manager, the best mentality, and the best defense.

qindarka

Banned
Can't believe I'm still harbouring hope for Arsenal to take points off City later. I trusted in the solidity of Old Trafford twice in recent weeks and was badly disappointed.

chelsea has the best squad in the league,

We really don't. Badly lacking in the striking department and the centre of midfield was a mess as well until Matic came in.

LTWheels

Tabloid paper talk today is that we are going to make a £8m bid for Kovacic in the summer. Would be another Coutinho-like steal if true and successful.

Facism

god i hate that feeling of needing a shit before saturday morning footy. I'll get there for 10 and then my body will be like "lol k tiem to flush that kebab" and i'll have to use the ground's horrible fucking shitters.

I mean i've drank loads of coffee and have been up since 6am, body.

He's more like Thiago. Attacking oriented that can play behind the striker as well as in a midfield 2.

Not entirely sure we need to spend a significant chunk of money in that position. Allen, Henderson and Coutinho can all play that role to a decent enough standard (Coutinho can't in a 2 man midfield, but can at the head of a trident)

Unless he's a genuine prospect to be world class at some point, or already superior to a prominent squad member, in which case, buy him anyway :p

LTWheels

Ah fuck, my PC won't turn on this morning...

never had to troubleshoot one before. Ever since I built it in 2008 it has worked fine from the moment I put it together.

I suppose it gives me an excuse to do a full upgrade. Everything is really out of date.

Arnie

Not entirely sure we need to spend a significant chunk of money in that position. Allen, Henderson and Coutinho can all play that role to a decent enough standard (Coutinho can't in a 2 man midfield, but can at the head of a trident)

Unless he's a genuine prospect to be world class at some point, or already superior to a prominent squad member, in which case, buy him anyway :p
Now that we've got Champions League I'm fully embracing the idea of buying good players in positions that're already filled by good players.

I want more interchangeable firepower, as it's a miracle that this squad has done as well as it has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom