• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT17| I'm Spartacus

Status
Not open for further replies.

FootballFan

Now that we've got Champions League I'm fully embracing the idea of buying good players in positions that're already filled by good players.

I want more interchangeable firepower, as it's a miracle that this squad has done as well as it has.

U want Alex song m8?

Now that we've got Champions League I'm fully embracing the idea of buying good players in positions that're already filled by good players.

I want more interchangeable firepower, as it's a miracle that this squad has done as well as it has.

Yeah, I'm kinda torn though

I keep thinking 'Sterling deserves to be a fixture in next year's starting 11 whenever he;s available and up to it. The players should be rewarded for getting us there, assuming we get there'

Then I think 'if we can improve on such players, we're more likely to progress in the CL, and do well in the league/domestic cups.'

Fuck it, I opt for the second one. It should be up to Sterling and Coutinho to force their way into the team even in the face of real competition. If they can't handle that, it'll just mean we'd have bought superior players, which is what every club is striving for.

And as you say, there'll be more games to go around next season than there have been this, so we can afford an expanded squad without too much moaning about gametime.

Wonder what we'll do with Suso and Wisdom next year. I imagine Texeira and McLaughlin will be going on loan, Robinson will take Cissokho's squad spot, Suso will take Moses', and Wisdom will become 3rd choice RB/4th choice CB. That leaves Kelly up shit creek though. I thought he'd be in the team for years to come before that last big injury he got :(

Given the ease with which Gerrard has slotted into DM for most games, and Lucas' return, is DM still a priority?

WJD

Stuck in the library trudging my way through some consumer law bollocks at the moment and I'm almost, almost tempted to stay here rather than go home and watch that fucking bi-plane cruise over OT seconds after conceding to a Gabby Agbonlahor toe poke.

dc89

Stuck in the library trudging my way through some consumer law bollocks at the moment and I'm almost, almost tempted to stay here rather than go home and watch that fucking bi-plane cruise over OT seconds after conceding to a Gabby Agbonlahor toe poke.

I'm an ex-human.

Just wait for him.

i4sm3AJDZlL35.gif

Bumhead

Banned
Just stumbled across that 2007 Daily Mail prediction for what the 2014 World Cup squad will look like.

Sam Hutchinson is in it.

Can see why they thought that, the kid is absolutely class. Just a shame he's knackered and can't play 2 games in a row otherwise he'd probably be playing for Chelsea and not on loan with us. Would love to give him a 1 year deal at the end of this season even if he only plays 20 games.

TeddyBoy

I didn't even know about FootyGAF at the beginning of the season, so I wasn't able to do a full table prediction. I did however predict Chelsea to win the league, Liverpool to get top four and United to miss out on top four.

I was used to be extremely harsh on the Liverpool squad from the Hodgson years. Every player was looked at for potential errors and if they had bad games I tried to remember it.

Rodgers' Liverpool squad after Christmas of 2012/13 season was on top four form. I was predicting a continuation of this.

Fergie had an aura about him, an almost perfect tactician, he used different formations to cover for players weaknesses. I never rated most of Uniteds squad, but Fergie played them in such a way that it papered iver the cracks. Without Fergie I thought United would struggle, just not this much.

I was certain Chelsea would win the league rather than City just because Mourinho knows the league already and at the time of the prediction, Chelsea hadn't sent out their best striker on loan.

I tried to bet on an accumulator of all of this, sadly I couldn't figure out how to get the system to give me the an accumulator rather than three separate bets. Now I just want City or Liverpool to win the title so I don't feel robbed :p

WJD

I was grafting away in the depths of Tennessee and Kentucky so never got to make a prediction here before the season but for what it's worth I had:

Chelsea
City
United
Liverpool
Arsenal
Spurs
The rest.

Not horrendously far off.

Feorax

Given the ease with which Gerrard has slotted into DM for most games, and Lucas' return, is DM still a priority?

I had a mad thought whilst driving home the other day. In the pre-season, I'd like to see Lucas played as a CB for a game or two and see how he does.

I think he can pass and tackle to a high level, but I don't think he offers us that extra spark in midfield that Gerrard does to dictate the play. I think, though, he could compliment Sakho well enough.

LTWheels

I don't think DM is a priority. We have Coady as well, he is doing excellent on loan. And has scored a few goals as well from DM this season. It makes more sense for Brendan to use his magic and develop Coady; the money can be spent elsewhere.

Nicktendo86

Anyone watching Saturday kitchen? Inglebert Humperdinck pulling a discussed look and saying 'its OK' to some chef's lamb was the funniest thing I have seen all year.

Depends if we can keep Reus fit.

:D

Crystal Palace 1-0 Chelsea
Arsenal 3-1 Manchester City
Liverpool 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur

Imagine it. It'd blow this title race so wide open, Rick Waller could make it his abode.

If Palace play for a draw, there;s a slight chance they could get it. If Arsenal do their 'let's make the priority to keep a clean sheet' thing, they could get a result. Think they'll get overpowered though, City are on good form, on a high and Arsenal will be jittery as fuck given the last 2 games.

I'd take the scrappiest, jammiest of wins against Spurs. Still scared of them even though they've given me absolutely no reason to be so far this season, and I saw a few signs of complacency against Sunderland which could prove to be our undoing.

Kassu

Banned
1. Manchester City
2. Chelsea
3. Arsenal
4. Tottenham
5. Manchester United
6. Liverpool
7. Swansea
My predictions look decent, I just underestimated Liverpool (and Everton) like almost everyone else.

Have to respect Rodgers and everything he's done with Liverpool, I honestly thought Liverpool wouldn't even qualify for CL and now they're fighting for the title.

Cappa

Banned
My predictions look decent, I just underestimated Liverpool (and Everton) like almost everyone else.

Have to respect Rodgers and everything he's done with Liverpool, I honestly thought Liverpool wouldn't even qualify for CL and now they're fighting for the title.

Since moving to Spain I haven't caught much of the EPL, but when I was back in the states Liverpool was my favorite team to watch I really like the way the play... Sturridge and Suarez are phenomenal together.... if Liverpool lose Suarez I think they're in trouble next year trying to replace him.

TeddyBoy

I doubt it, Rodgers has been at Liverpool for four transfer windows now and he's not made any moves to get a DM replacement/cover. I'd say it's fairly safe to say Rodgers doesn't view this area as a priority.

We could possibly get a Schneiderlin style player, I think Lars Bender of Leverkusen was looked at. A CM who has very DM qualities, although I'm not sure if we'll get this type of player, a box to box midfielder or an attacking midfielder come the summer. I'm not totally sure which area of midfield we want to improve the most.

I had a mad thought whilst driving home the other day. In the pre-season, I'd like to see Lucas played as a CB for a game or two and see how he does.

I think he can pass and tackle to a high level, but I don't think he offers us that extra spark in midfield that Gerrard does to dictate the play. I think, though, he could compliment Sakho well enough.

I reckon Rodgers would have done a lot of tinkering in the preseason if it wasn't delayed by that most delightful of distractions, the motherfucking WORLD CUP. Hope we see a lot of Wisdom at CB, need to figure out if he's ready to move into that area instead of remaining slightly out of the firing line at RB.

McLaughlin----Wisdom--Sakho-----Fuckknows

Lovely

I doubt it, Rodgers has been at Liverpool for four transfer windows now and he's not made any moves to get a DM replacement/cover. I'd say it's fairly safe to say Rodgers doesn't view this area as a priority.

We could possibly get a Schneiderlin style player, I think Lars Bender of Leverkusen was looked at. A CM who has very DM qualities, although I'm not sure if we'll get this type of player, a box to box midfielder or an attacking midfielder come the summer. I'm not totally sure which area of midfield we want to improve the most.

We can get a refurbished Strootgod at a discount :p

TeddyBoy

I think describing this as mad is pretty much on point :p

Lucss doesn't have the technical ability to play at the back, we bought Sakho as he has almost every quality a CB can have. With our system, we need almost the perfect CBs, this is why we bought Illori has well. Him and Sakho were supposed to be the starting pair but Illori's attitude might be a bit of a problem.

We can get a refurbished Strootgod at a discount :p

I haven't seen Roma too much, but I do rate Strootman. Sadly I think everyone else does so I think that discount won't apply :p

Your point about Wisdom earlier is true as well, I'm not sure how he fits in with plans right now. It'll be an interesting summer seeing who leaves if nothing else.

Illori wasn't even first choice at Sporting was he? Doubt we bought him to slot straight in

Thought that Independent article was a bit unfair when it lumped Sakho in with Aspas and Alberto

I was under the impression he was first choice at Sporting and this is why he has a couple attitude problems. He was used to playing every match and now he doesn't. He seemed to be quite frustrated.

Yeah the independent was being harsh on Sakho, he's played well when he's on the field. His injury has hurt him a fair bit in that regard. This happens from the media though, if you get injured you're automatically a flop, same thing was said about Borini last year and Fellaini this year.

I think describing this as mad is pretty much on point :p

Lucss doesn't have the technical ability to play at the back, we bought Sakho as he has almost every quality a CB can have. With our system, we need almost the perfect CBs, this is why we bought Illori has well. Him and Sakho were supposed to be the starting pair but Illori's attitude might be a bit of a problem.

Illori wasn't even first choice at Sporting was he? Doubt we bought him to slot straight in

Thought that Independent article was a bit unfair when it lumped Sakho in with Aspas and Alberto

Linius

Strootman would never leave Roma after just one season. Or he'll leave for a huge transfer fee. He's too important for them.

Arsenal GAF - who do you think we can buy next season?

For definite, we need to get a much better striker than Giroud, either one who creates space with his runs or an ice-cold finished. Will be very difficult to find.

May need a DM to cover for Arteta getting old and Flamini getting sent off every week. Also may need a CB, but Mertesacker and Koscienly are fine first choice.

RB is another priority, Lasagna may be leaving. I'd like to see us go for Jung or Clyne.

Linius

All this talk about players you think you can buy is so funny when the transfer season is over. So much bullshit will be posted when the season ends and muppetry goes in motion :p

Arnie

Even after a fairly promising league one loan, turning Conor Coady into a Liverpool player would be Rodgers' greatest achievement.

Salazar

All this talk about players you think you can buy is so funny when the transfer season is over. So much bullshit will be posted when the season ends and muppetry goes in motion :p

We don't actually have a choice, Linius bro.

We shopping for FOOD, not shoes.

Yen

Arsenal GAF - who do you think we can buy next season?

For definite, we need to get a much better striker than Giroud, either one who creates space with his runs or an ice-cold finished. Will be very difficult to find.

May need a DM to cover for Arteta getting old and Flamini getting sent off every week. Also may need a CB, but Mertesacker and Koscienly are fine first choice.

RB is another priority, Lasagna may be leaving. I'd like to see us go for Jung or Clyne.
You should put a cheeky bid in for Luis Suarez

WJD

Ageing Utd team? Utd had 7 players under 28 staring the derby game. City had 3.

https://twitter.com/richardajkeys/status/449864477400236032

Hart, Nasri and ermmmmm.... Silva?
I dunno.

SAF:

"To go through a thirty-eight game league programme and win it in style with a great bunch of players... it's a young squad, a lot of good young players. They're going to get better, a lot of them, and the big test is can they win it three times in a row as we've done before? I hope the boys can do that"

Moyes is talking out his arse.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Forgive me if I'm late and it's already been discussed already, but rumours flying that Levy met with Louis Van Gaal.

According to Ruud Gullit:

Sherwood is a dead man walking. But we already knew that.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26798631

This is not new information, the meeting took place as soon as AVB was sacked and before Sherwood was given a contract.

I don't think it's a 'done deal' but certainly he is in position to take over if we choose to let Sherwood go.

Arnie

Fucking hell, Moyes saying he's looking forward to Bayern Munich.

yea, alright lad

Maybe you can go into the game in good 'fettle' after a win against Aston Villa.

Wilbur

Banned
God, I can't even imagine how many passes Lahm is going to have completed by full tim against us. Fellaini will just be shook, crawling on his knees and punching people in the ankles, crying for the solitude of Finch Farm.

WJD

God, I can't even imagine how many passes Lahm is going to have completed by full tim against us. Fellaini will just be shook, crawling on his knees and punching people in the ankles, crying for the solitude of Finch Farm.

and at the same time Kroos runs off the pitch yelling towards Rumminegge: "Fucking pass me the pen and paper lad. I'll sign whatever you want, just get me out of here!"

Salazar

And Phil "I will work harder. Moyes is always right" Jones, gently sobbing and eating clumps of turf.

Clegg

Genuine pre match play list for game at Old Trafford

'Holding on for Life', 'Gimme Shelter', 'Have a little Faith', 'Pressure', 'Now You Are Free'

Someone's taking the piss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom