• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT17| I'm Spartacus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy

Good to know.

I really don't understand the hate for Tonight. I do see where people are coming from when they say the first one is the best, because that was an amazing album.

I personally think that Tonight is their best followed by their first album.

What did you think of Right Thoughts?
Tonight is a good album, I feel it's tied as their second best album with YCHISMB.

Right Thoughts was a little boring for me in comparison to their other albums. I did like Right Action, but I felt after Tonight they could of went in a more interesting direction.

Guinness

Neo Member
BTW how's OL? Seems incredible to say after the great CL they had, but Juventus is now the only chance we have to win something in Europe lol
OL is pretty inconstant. Capable of losing 3 or 4 games in a row against weak league teams and then kicking everybody’s asses for two months.

They still have good club-trained (and French internationals!) young players such as Gonalons, Grenier and Lacazette, in addition to other (former) internationals like Gomis, Briand and Gourcuff. A few other players like Bisevac and Bedimo are also considered as good Ligue 1 players. But it is way weaker than a few years ago when they were winning the French league every year. Now they are more a top-five squad in the league.

Shouldn’t be a problem at all for Juventus if they are playing seriously.

Meier

Would be in keeping with our season.

Wow, that'd be a real shame. I saw a gif of the injury and it looked fairly innocuous -- it didn't have that feel of a "rolling up" as they say in the NFL where you worry it'll be a cruciate injury. Seemed like it'd probably result in some sort of deep contusion.

WJD

Fuck that would suck for RVP. Just looked like a dead leg or something when it happened. Makes the Olympiakos players look like bigger cunts for telling him to hurry up, too.

Elchele

We dont need to wipe the floor with every opposition. We made it through rather easily with great performances and basically dominating every side. You cant expect any team to completely shut up the offence of the top European clubs. Last year was the same. Rather solid performances and the annihilation began at the quarter final and we won the final with a huge piece of luck too.

No. Another draw.

We did it last year vs Juve and vs Barcelona. Also vs. Dortmund if you don't count Dante's brainfart for Gundogan penalty. We don't look as solid in Europe as we did with Heynckes

Meh, United were going to have a tough game regardless - my thinking is that to win competitions like this, you're going to have to play the best at some point anyway.

I'm cautiously optimistic. If United get the job done then it can change everything.

Jarnet87

Ruptured ligament for van Persie? Moyes finally has an excuse to play Kagawa or Mata behind the striker. Just kidding Rooney behind Welbeck. Who is Kagawa?

Ruptured ligament for van Persie? Moyes finally has an excuse to play Kagawa or Mata behind the striker. Just kidding Rooney behind Welbeck. Who is Kagawa?

I think Welbeck's done well recently though, gets in behind defenders. He's definitely improved a hell of a lot.

Kagawa might play tomorrow - we can hope!

Edit: Fuck, RVP :[ That sucks.

Timurid

PSG vs Chelsea will be a great match. Zlatan destroying the english cunts.

Utd are going to get pummeled by the fuglies of bavaria.

Is Buttner going to start against bayern?

Manchester United ‏@ManUtd 12m

More on RvP's injury: "We're getting Robin re-scanned today. We're not quite conclusive on everything we've seen." #mufc

Moyes is saying RVP has a knee injury and won't play against West Ham. Presumably he's being re-scanned just to confirm he is truly crocked.

Jack cw

We did it last year vs Juve and vs Barcelona. Also vs. Dortmund if you don't count Dante's brainfart for Gundogan penalty. We don't look as solid in Europe as we did with Heynckes

Nope. We struggled with Arsenal last year, had 35% possession against Barca, Juve attacking us heavily in the first half of the second leg. The final in Dortmund was pure luck and Neuer being in unbelievable shape. The first 40 minutes there was only Dortmund. I know the success blurred the memories a bit but we were far away from dominating the opposition. Even after the 2 or 3-0 against Barca there was always the fear that they could strike back. Our CL performance until the quarter final last year wasnt that good either. 2 defeats until then.

Scum

Seen the draws and just about RVP injury. What rotten luck for him.

------ Rooney/Welbeck ------
Adnan --- Kagawa --- Mata

Yen

Didn't realise Chelsea - Arsenal was tomorrow. Can't have Chelsea winning but they are definitely favourites.

Postman better bring GZ, estimated delivery was today, but you always have to add a day for NI unfortunately.

Edit: Scum replace Kagawa with Welbeck

Didn't realise Chelsea - Arsenal was tomorrow. Can't have Chelsea winning but they are definitely favourites.

Postman better bring GZ, estimated delivery was today, but you always have to add a day for NI unfortunately.

I fear the game with both Willian and Ramires out.

Scum

Edit: Scum replace Kagawa with Welbeck

zknS7MG.png

I fear the game with both Willian and Ramires out.

Wooden, pls. That's a blessing in disguise.

Jarnet87

I think Welbeck's done well recently though, gets in behind defenders. He's definitely improved a hell of a lot.

Kagawa might play tomorrow - we can hope!

Edit: Fuck, RVP :[ That sucks.

He has but he's more valuable out wide IMO. Januzaj has had his ups and downs and Ashley Young doesn't deserve to even be allowed into training. Moving Kagawa or Mata behind the striker and Welbeck out wide would be more beneficial to the team then putting Welbeck up front and Kagawa Mata or god forbid Young out on the left.

Yen

Watching last week's Bundesliga highlights. Dat Firmino. Ian pls.
Braunschweig and Augsburg have the best names in the league.

arkon

He has but he's more valuable out wide IMO. Januzaj has had his ups and downs and Ashley Young doesn't deserve to even be allowed into training. Moving Kagawa or Mata behind the striker and Welbeck out wide would be more beneficial to the team then putting Welbeck up front and Kagawa Mata or god forbid Young out on the left.

Welbeck offers very little out wide. You might as well be playing with ten men.

---

Seen the draw. Some tasty match ups. Would like to see Dortmund and ATHLETICO progressing, but I somehow doubt it.

bjaelke

Nothing better to do at work anyway, so here is Chelsea's lineup from 2005 when they beat Arsenal 1-0 in Wenger's 500th game in charge of Arsenal:

Cech, Paulo Ferreira, Terry, Gallas, Del Horno, Makelele, Robben (Wright-Phillips 58), Lampard, Duff, Gudjohnsen (Essien 58), Crespo (Drogba 45).

Arsenal's lineup:

Lehmann, Lauren, Senderos, Toure, Cole, Ljungberg (Van Persie 26), Fabregas (Flamini 85), Silva, Hleb, Pires, Henry.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Nothing better to do at work anyway, so here is Chelsea's lineup from 2005 when they beat Arsenal 1-0 in Wenger's 500th game in charge of Arsenal:

Cech, Paulo Ferreira, Terry, Gallas, Del Horno, Makelele, Robben (Wright-Phillips 58), Lampard, Duff, Gudjohnsen (Essien 58), Crespo (Drogba 45).

Arsenal's lineup:

Lehmann, Lauren, Senderos, Toure, Cole, Ljungberg (Van Persie 26), Fabregas (Flamini 85), Silva, Hleb, Pires, Henry.

Was at that game, the season Arsenal wore the purple kit.

Arrived in Oxford. Had a slash. Bought some fruit pastilles and a newspaper.

You can't get more English than that lol.

TeddyBoy

If Van Persie misses the world cup it'll be quite depressing, the Holland squad without Strootman and Van Persie will be hard pressed to get out of the group stages.

I'm thinking Chelsea, Bayern, Real and Atletico for the semi-finals, Barca seem to be inconsistent right now.

Watching last week's Bundesliga highlights. Dat Firmino. Ian pls.
Braunschweig and Augsburg have the best names in the league.

I think we've been scouting Firmino quite a bit and we don't have a recognised CAM for when Rodgers plays his diamond formation. I can definitely see us making the move for him in the summer.

Mastadon

Banned
OptaJoe ‏@OptaJoe 8 secs
24 - Liverpool have scored more goals before the 25th minute of PL games this season (24) than Cardiff City have in total (23). Firepower

VLiberty

OL is pretty inconstant. Capable of losing 3 or 4 games in a row against weak league teams and then kicking everybody’s asses for two months.

They still have good club-trained (and French internationals!) young players such as Gonalons, Grenier and Lacazette, in addition to other (former) internationals like Gomis, Briand and Gourcuff. A few other players like Bisevac and Bedimo are also considered as good Ligue 1 players. But it is way weaker than a few years ago when they were winning the French league every year. Now they are more a top-five squad in the league.

Shouldn’t be a problem at all for Juventus if they are playing seriously.

So it's like Napoli. We lost points with literally every second-half-league team, but then we were able to beat Dortmund and Arsenal ( :'( ) and win 3-0 against Roma.(which I think it's an overall better team than ours, especially back then when Strootman wasn't out)

Dortmund are absolutely fucked

Man Utd may as well apply immediately for administration and liquidation, or back out of the competition now and give Olympiakos a bye

Thank fuck for that, want them knocked out asap lest I start seriously worrying about Moyes pulling a Di Matteo. And let's be honest, he's a better manager than that balloon-headed leech.

Hixx

Russell Brand is to appear on Match of the Day tomorrow (March 22).

The comedian will join the punditry team in aid of Sport Relief for a one-off episode on BBC One.

He will provide his own insights of the weekend's games, including his beloved West Ham United's match against Manchester United.

Well, even if we win (ahahahahahaahahahaahahhahahaahah

ahaaha)

I won't be watching it.

Ingeniero

Bayern to win 7-0 on aggregate again, with Pizarro hattrick.
ManUre are really fucked.

I think Real Madrid will reach the finals.

Gogogo la decima.

Elchele

Nope. We struggled with Arsenal last year, had 35% possession against Barca, Juve attacking us heavily in the first half of the second leg. The final in Dortmund was pure luck and Neuer being in unbelievable shape. The first 40 minutes there was only Dortmund. I know the success blurred the memories a bit but we were far away from dominating the opposition. Even after the 2 or 3-0 against Barca there was always the fear that they could strike back. Our CL performance until the quarter final last year wasnt that good either. 2 defeats until then.

That was Heynckes tactic to defeat Barcelona... I think you're the one who should rewatch last season ;-) the only matches were we lost control of were the BATE and the second leg Arsenal. The rest were all under our control.

Possession doesn't mean that you are dominating a match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom