• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT17| I'm Spartacus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

We got him for free m8
The board already said they will continue to "upgrade" the squad each year, so it doesn't end up like Barcelona with a bunch of old guys

Fucking :lol

Yea, alright. There might not be a transfer fee but he aint fucking 'free', and he isn't even cheap. People getting paid.

Suen

Realistic Arsenal targets always come across as fantasy because we all know too well that we'll either go for some unknown 21 y.o forward playing in Ligue 2, or someone known but underwhelming relative to ambitions.
It's really sad because in recent years we're so joyful if we manage to even get a Ligue 1 player.

Getting a Ligue 2 player is like getting some young unproven player and getting a Ligue 1 is like getting Falcao for us.

#WengerPlsStop

Weird how there's not been a big scorer in the Championship this season. Ross McCormack highest by far on 27.

Wonder who our top target will be when we get relegated
e5YuU.gif

To score in the championship you need determination, willpower and strength.

ibriJwlWl441D4.gif

#OnlyOneJozy

subtles

In the 2011/2012 season: Sturridge and Suarez were tied at 11 goals (0 P). RVP was the top scorer with 30 goals (2 P).

2012/2013: RVP top again with 26 goals (3 P). Suarez had 23 while Sturridge once again managed 11 goals (1 P).

This season: Suarez is on 29, Sturridge 20 (0 P between them) while RVP is at 11 goals (2P).

I do hope Suarez breaks the goals record. Managing that despite missing so many games would be quite the feat.

3Sixty

In the 2011/2012 season: Sturridge and Suarez were tied at 11 goals (0 P). RVP was the top scorer with 30 goals (2 P).

2012/2013: RVP top again with 26 goals (3 P). Suarez had 23 while Sturridge once again managed 11 goals (1 P).

This season: Suarez is on 29, Sturridge 20 (0 P between them) while RVP is at 11 goals (2P).

I do hope Suarez breaks the goals record. Managing that despite missing so many games would be quite the feat.

JROD

15 goals, no pens, no free kicks.

Also Hitch your England team is spot on, i posted the same team last week.

So based.

Elchele

Aren't he and his agent getting a massive signing-on fee, and his wages are inflated due to the 'free' transfer?

nope
we don't even know his salary yet I think

but obviously he will get some money and his agents too because we got him for free. But I think his signing on fee will be divided in his 5 years contract salary

nope

but obviously he will get some money and his agents too because we got him for free. But I think his signing on fee will be divided in his 5 years contract salary

If his sign on fee is divided through his 5 years of contract... Wouldn't it just be salary? I think the point of sign on fee's, is you get it when you sign on.

Arnie

I'd have Henderson over Barkley in that team.

Barkley's gone missing a bit recently, despite scoring wonder goals and having moments of genius. I think he's a year away from being a nailed on England starter, but once he's there he'll be immovable.

3Sixty

Just when we thought the performances and superlatives surrounding Southampton’s Adam Lallana could not get any better, they both went up another gear again.

After yet another devastatingly effective display against Newcastle at the heart of Southampton’s side, in which he set up one and scored the best goal of the day, his manager Mauricio Pochettino drew comparisons with Barcelona’s Andres Iniesta, Xavi and Cesc Fabregas.

‘We haven’t seen a player like that in this country for a long time,’ Pochettino said. ‘Lately he has had a number of opportunities to get into the England national side so that is a very good thing for him.

‘I am always telling him that he has the characteristics of a Spanish player and he has the skills of a Iniesta, Xavi or Fabregas.’

MoPo the original hype man.

No fucks given.

Elchele

But then they go ahead and give Robben&Co long contracts. Come on, we're not King Midas, even we can't replace everyone. I hope Guardiola gives some of our talents more playtime now that we've already won Bundesliga.

Of course, also most of our squad are very young

Højbjerg 18
Alaba 21
Gotze 21
Thiago 22
Shaqiri 22
Kroos is just 24 too

Elchele

If his sign on fee is divided through his 5 years of contract... Wouldn't it just be salary? I think the point of sign on fee's, is you get it when you sign on.

of course, but I think there was a set salary offered to him when we started to contact him and his agents. And because the transfer didn't happen, Dortmund didn't want to sell after Gotze left, then the option to get him for free came to the table

So they will add a signing on fee to his salary or something like that, I don't remember the details, or if it was just a rumor/BS.

It's kind of like when Javi Martínez "paid" a part of his transfer fee via lowering his salary. Thiago did the same.

nope

You can't be serious

With Lewa and his shithead buddies called agents, you can be sure they'll get damn good money. Sure it's no 40m transfer fee plus huge wages like Götze but still plenty of money spent over the whole contract.

It's kind of like when Javi Martínez "paid" a part of his transfer fee via lowering his salary. Thiago did the same.

lol m8

That didn't happen either.

Dat Bayern propaganda machine

Suen

You can't be serious

With Lewa and his shithead buddies called agents, you can be sure they'll get damn good money. Sure it's no 40m transfer fee plus huge wages like Götze but still plenty of money spent over the whole contract.
Should have convinced him to go to Madrid bro. Bayern are slowly dominating the league through your their players

#FuckBayern
#FuckUli

El Topo is cool though.

subtles

The best signings (imo) would be Reus as the "statement of intent" everyone is always begging for, then a LB/CB/CM. Many clubs are looking to fill those positions so I have no idea what we may end up with. I guess a few squad players may be leaving as Rodgers doesn't trust the bench so we'll definitely need to replace them.

Right then.

For me it would be Carvalho, Shaw and Herrera.

Herrera would be a brilliant signing, but It's sad Susaeta gets no love. :(

Wes

venison crêpe
I'd have Henderson over Barkley in that team.

Barkley's gone missing a bit recently, despite scoring wonder goals and having moments of genius. I think he's a year away from being a nailed on England starter, but once he's there he'll be immovable.

Doesn't Barkley play further forward anyway? I thought he was more of a behind the striker midfielder? It'll probably be Wilshere or Henderson alongside Gerrard.

If I was Roy I would set out my team to play as much as like Liverpool as possible. I'd also prefer it if we went 4-3-3 but we can't do that with Rooney and Sturridge. Sturridge has to be the out and out Striker, no more stupid stuff like sticking him out on the wing, leaving the only place Rooney can then play that doesn't compromise the balance of the side is in the hole.

Sterling will get one wing slot. Probably right hand side to link up with Johnson. Lallana on the left.

Clegg

The best signings (imo) would be Reus as the "statement of intent" everyone is always begging for, then a LB/CB/CM. Many clubs are looking to fill those positions so I have no idea what we may end up with. I guess a few squad players may be leaving as Rodgers doesn't trust the bench so we'll definitely need to replace them.

Herrera would be a brilliant signing, but It's sad Susaeta gets no love. :(
When United were linked with Herrera last summer I remember wanting him because he played well against us in the Europa League. But I wasn't too cut up when we missed out in him. Having watched him a bit closer this season I'm pretty sure he'd walk into our squad and comfortably be our best midfielder.

Scum

So, we're all in agreement then. 4-3-3 Liverpool.tac with Sturridge up top or Hodgson doesn't make it back from the South American jungles...
...alive.

Man, Afellay was so good during his PSV days

Where is he nowadays? Still injured?

arkon

So, we're all in agreement then. 4-3-3 Liverpool.tac with Sturridge up top or Hodgson doesn't make it back from the South American jungles...
...alive.

Not me, brah. 4-4-2. Big man up top. Three lions on the chest. Never say die.

Elchele

he played 20 minutes in a match this season, after coming from injury. Hasn't played any more minutes, don't know if he's having fitness problems or just Tata not having the time/space to give him a chance this far into the season

LNBL

...alive.

Sitting on the bench at Barca, he should just leave honestly. In his good days he could have even managed the Arsenal level imo.

Scum

Not me, brah. 4-4-2. Big man up top. Three lions on the chest. Never say die.

You know. I had a good laugh when we used to mention StokEngland. But a 4-4-2 with the right old school wingers who can take they're man on and beat them will turn out quite well.

Salvadora

You know. I had a good laugh when we used to mention StokEngland. But a 4-4-2 with the right old school wingers who can take they're man on and beat them will turn out quite well.

Especially will the sort of teams England would face at the World Cup.

Do it well and you'd be successful.

subtles

When United were linked with Herrera last summer I remember wanting him because he played well against us in the Europa League. But I wasn't too cut up when we missed out in him. Having watched him a bit closer this season I'm pretty sure he'd walk into our squad and comfortably be our best midfielder.

He was pretty good for quite a while but some ill-fated injuries and the politics that ripped the team apart have played a part in him fading for a bit. I think his best match was in the same season you mentioned where he outplayed Barca's midfield. It was glorious.

He would be a wonderful signing to build the midfield around if you guys can pull it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom